What Ever Happened to Digger Digwillow?

Do you think Matthew is a great character? Absolutely hate Emily? This is the place to discuss AIO characters, from the old to the new!
Hermione
Chocolate Chip

What Ever Happened to Digger Digwillow?

So, I've always had kind of a soft spot for Digger. In many ways, I see him as the original Odyssey kid (or one of the original Odyssey kids, at least). He was an interesting, unique character who played a big part in the inaugural episodes for two of Adventures in Odyssey's biggest icons: The Imagination Station and Wonderworld.

This begs the question, what happened to him? He seems to totally vanish from the existence of Odyssey, and by the time Novacom saga rolls around, nobody even seems to remember who he is (in "Grand Opening, Part 1" Alex simply says that "some kid built it a long time ago" when referring to Wonderworld's creation). Why would a character with a starring role in some of Odyssey's most important episodes just disappear?

What was the fate of Digger Digwillow? Did he die tragically in a freak accident? Did the writers just get bored of the character? Is there some episode I've been missing out on all these years that will give me the information I so desperately seek? Tell me! \:D/
"The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it." - Flannery O'Connor
Gooey98
Raspberry Ripple

This is going to be really boring, Hermione, but it's the truth as far as I'm aware.

A: They already had several main characters, including Lucy, Jack, Jimmy, Donna, Robin, Kurt, Oscar, Jesse...later Isaac and Sam, and probably others I can't remember. There just really wasn't a need for another character.

B: Chad Reisser, who voiced Digger Digwillow, also played Monty Whittaker, which was kind of confusing.

C: Chad grew up. His voice changed, and he sounded too old to play a kid character anymore. At that point in time, the AIO team wasn't replacing actors for characters...especially minor characters who were only in a few episodes.

All that said, I do think it would have been really interesting to see what happened to Digger. I mean, we have the one episode where he goes in the Imagination Station, and then in Heatwave he had learned how to use his imagination, and built Wonderworld. But it would have been awesome for that story to continue beyond those two episodes.

Alternatively, you could listen to the news report in Episode 11 of The Ceiling Fan Podcast.
Last edited by Gooey98 on Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My David Crowder*Band website: http://dcbplus.weebly.com
My YouTube: http://youtube.com/WillLocatelli
My gaming YouTube: http://youtube.com/KingGrahamGaming
Blitz
Moose Tracks

Hmm... I couldn't care the less. I never really cared for him.
Debate Vampire

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset
Hermione
Chocolate Chip

Gooey98 wrote:This is going to be really boring, Hermione, but it's the truth as far as I'm aware.

A: They already had several main characters, including Lucy, Jack, Jimmy, Donna, Robin, Kurt, Oscar, Jesse...later Isaac and Sam, and probably others I can't remember. There just really wasn't a need for another character.

B: Chad Reisser, who voiced Digger Digwillow, also played Montie Whittaker, which was kind of confusing.

C: Chad grew up. His voice changed, and he sounded too old to play a kid character anymore. At that point in time, the AIO team wasn't replacing actors for characters...especially minor characters who were only in a few episodes.

All that said, I do think it would have been really interesting to see what happened to Digger. I mean, we have the one episode where he goes in the Imagination Station, and then in Heatwave he had learned how to use his imagination, and built Wonderworld. But it would have been awesome for that story to continue beyond those two episodes.

Alternatively, you could listen to the news report in Episode 11 of The Ceiling Fan Podcast.

I always feared the truth was something like this. :( Although I despise Isaac, Sam, Oscar and Kurt, and moderately dislike Lucy and Jack, so I really wish they would have cut one of them instead. And I would totally take Digger over Monty any day! \:D/

I'm still sad that the character vanished from the show without any real explanation. Within the context of the world of Odyssey, what do you guys think the reason for his disappearance was?
Blitz wrote:Hmm... I couldn't care the less. I never really cared for him.

WHAT IS THIS HERESY? :x
"The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it." - Flannery O'Connor
Mickey
Peach Cobbler

I don't like Digger very well.I do like Oscar though! It only seems reasonable that his actor grew up! sorry Hermione
Proud K.R.E Member
Blitz
Moose Tracks

Heresy? Why?
*Hides the hay*
Debate Vampire

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset
Gooey98
Raspberry Ripple

Hermione wrote: Although I despise Isaac, Sam, Oscar and Kurt, and moderately dislike Lucy and Jack, so I really wish they would have cut one of them instead. And I would totally take Digger over Monty any day! \:D/
I'll have to admit, I'm slightly flummoxed at that. How can you even listen to most of the early episodes if you hate all the characters? All that's left are the Barclays and the Jacobs.
My David Crowder*Band website: http://dcbplus.weebly.com
My YouTube: http://youtube.com/WillLocatelli
My gaming YouTube: http://youtube.com/KingGrahamGaming
Hermione
Chocolate Chip

Gooey98 wrote:
Hermione wrote: Although I despise Isaac, Sam, Oscar and Kurt, and moderately dislike Lucy and Jack, so I really wish they would have cut one of them instead. And I would totally take Digger over Monty any day! \:D/
I'll have to admit, I'm slightly flummoxed at that. How can you even listen to most of the early episodes if you hate all the characters? All that's left are the Barclays and the Jacobs.
Precisely why I don't listen to a lot of the early episodes. ;) The kid-centered ones, anyway. Yes, I think the majority of the kids in the show at that time were irritating, but I actually really enjoy listening to the older characters, such as Whit, Tom, Eugene, and Connie. I feel that many of them were at their best during the earlier days of AIO (well, Tom had to get over his senile geezer phase first, but still).
Blitz wrote:Heresy? Why?
*Hides the hay*
Because Digger is one of the more awesome characters to grace AIO with his presence, clearly!

Also, I think some people need to take a trip to Wonderworld, because there is a severe lack of creativity here. :( Seriously--nobody wants to speculate about Digger's mysterious disappearance?