Fan Characters

Do you think Matthew is a great character? Absolutely hate Emily? This is the place to discuss AIO characters, from the old to the new!
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

I think Eugene and Whit were intended as book lovers (or at least Eugene was meant to be someone who knows about a lot of books and likes to read), but those aspects of their characters aren't often addressed. I like the idea of a fantasy-loving character, mostly because I think fantasy books get a really bad rap and it would be great to see a fantasy lover who isn't either completely out-there or a shut-in, as is usually portrayed in media.
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
Gooey98
Raspberry Ripple

Yeah, Whit is definitely a book lover, but I don't think he has very much time for reading these days.

I would like to have a kid who spends all his time on the internet talking to people who are fans of this radio drama but are older than the target age group.

Wait...that might be too unrealistic.

^Will making a fool of himself by pretending to be funny
My David Crowder*Band website: http://dcbplus.weebly.com
My YouTube: http://youtube.com/WillLocatelli
My gaming YouTube: http://youtube.com/KingGrahamGaming
SirWhit
Banana Fudge

I wish there was a realistic Asian character.

A.K.A. one that didn't talk in riddles every time he spoke.

A.K.A. an Asian character that's not Chang Fang.
The Old Judge
Mint Chocolate Chip

So, an Americanized Asian character, not some guy that sounds like he popped out of a fortune cookie, or the old Karate Kid.
Do you think you know music? Guess the hints at the end of each of my posts in A Musical Journey. (The name's a link. You can click it.)
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

Yeah, that was a bit of a racial stereotype. It would have been fine if he wasn't the only Asian character on the show, but since he is...

I love the idea of a literary nerd, like someone who reads James Joyce and Shakespeare for fun. :ugeek: It's true that AIO has had virtually no one like that. They should be ashamed of themselves! :x
Sir Arnold, Knight of the Order of Augustine, Debate Vampire
Mr. Yorp wrote:You don't need a degree to shovel manure.
Gooey98
Raspberry Ripple

ArnoldtheRubberDucky wrote: It's true that AIO has had virtually no one like that. They should be ashamed of themselves! :x
Haha, you can't have every kind of character.
I do think it's a little odd that they've had so many "intellectual" characters. Alex, Trent, Matthew, Jenny (Whit's granddaughter), Eugene...
ArnoldtheRubberDucky wrote:Yeah, that was a bit of a racial stereotype. It would have been fine if he wasn't the only Asian character on the show, but since he is...
Jacques Henri is the only French character on the show...and Fred Holstein is the only German character on the show. It's supposed to be funny because all three of them are way, way, over-the-top.
Blitz
Moose Tracks

How can you tell you have an Asian on an audio drama when he doesn't sound Asian?
Debate Vampire

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

Actually, most Asians do sound Asian.
Sir Arnold, Knight of the Order of Augustine, Debate Vampire
Mr. Yorp wrote:You don't need a degree to shovel manure.
Rosy
Cookie Dough

In all honestly, I'd like to see a character that's somewhat shy. With the exception of Cindy from You're Two Kind, I can't recall anyone who was shy in the least.
꿈. 희망. 전진.
truAIOfan
Cookies & Creme

I'd like to see a character about Wooton and Penny's age; but not so (for lack of better words)...like Wooton and Penny. Maybe a boy.
“Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God.” -Corrie Ten Boom
Gooey98
Raspberry Ripple

underseasie wrote:In all honestly, I'd like to see a character that's somewhat shy. With the exception of Cindy from You're Two Kind, I can't recall anyone who was shy in the least.
*Unbecoming Jay was the episode with Cindy. :p
I do not want to see that. IDK why, but I find shy characters a little bit annoying. Not in real life, just in fiction. It's like the whole time there's this inner turmoil while you're waiting for them to become not shy...which isn't really going to happen. *shrugs*

truAIOfan wrote:I'd like to see a character about Wooton and Penny's age; but not so (for lack of better words)...like Wooton and Penny. Maybe a boy.
Like Jimmy Barclay!!!!! That could totally work. Except, you know, for the whole Connie being the same age while kids grow up paradox...
SirWhit
Banana Fudge

The Old Judge wrote:So, an Americanized Asian character, not some guy that sounds like he popped out of a fortune cookie, or the old Karate Kid.
yes. That's exactly what I'm talking about. They don't even need to be Americanized, just no more fortune cookie Asians.
Gooey98 wrote:
ArnoldtheRubberDucky wrote: It's true that AIO has had virtually no one like that. They should be ashamed of themselves! :x
Haha, you can't have every kind of character.
I do think it's a little odd that they've had so many "intellectual" characters. Alex, Trent, Matthew, Jenny (Whit's granddaughter), Eugene...
ArnoldtheRubberDucky wrote:Yeah, that was a bit of a racial stereotype. It would have been fine if he wasn't the only Asian character on the show, but since he is...
Jacques Henri is the only French character on the show...and Fred Holstein is the only German character on the show. It's supposed to be funny because all three of them are way, way, over-the-top.
....I'd rather have normal characters than racial stereotypes.

-- Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:45 pm --

And an interesting point of racial stereotypes: if AIO had made the Washingtons eat watermelon and fried chicken non stop and played it off as comedy, there would have been a huge outcry. But when they bring in characters like Chang Fang, who is an Asian stereotype personified, no one bats an eyelash.

Edit: 900! \:D/
Last edited by SirWhit on Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rosy
Cookie Dough

Gooey98 wrote:
underseasie wrote:In all honestly, I'd like to see a character that's somewhat shy. With the exception of Cindy from You're Two Kind, I can't recall anyone who was shy in the least.
I do not want to see that. IDK why, but I find shy characters a little bit annoying. Not in real life, just in fiction. It's like the whole time there's this inner turmoil while you're waiting for them to become not shy...which isn't really going to happen. *shrugs*
Oops, sorry.
I understand where you're coming from, but as a shy person myself I can't really relate to many AIO characters, as outgoing as they are. It was just a thought.
꿈. 희망. 전진.
Ameraka
Fudge Marble

underseasie wrote:
Gooey98 wrote:
Oops, sorry.
I understand where you're coming from, but as a shy person myself I can't really relate to many AIO characters, as outgoing as they are. It was just a thought.

I don't see where the division between real life and fiction--it seems you're just trying to be polite, Gooey. Why wouldn't the same things would annoy you in real life?
It is true that the more introverted a character is, the less they'll say, and the more they'll think. It's not exactly conducive to radio drama. Unless you want a whole episode where the person's reacting to stuff inside their head. Radio drama is more about people interacting than introspection (which, of course is not the same as shyness, although it can be related). Shy people (I hate that word) are really seen as defective; we sweep them under the rug and pretend they aren't there, which is easy to do. People who don't speak up for themselves are easy to devalue.
speaking from real life experience

My book, Justice Lost, is on Amazon Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JM1XFCI
Blitz
Moose Tracks

Priscilla is actually shy....
Debate Vampire

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset
Gooey98
Raspberry Ripple

Ameraka wrote:I don't see where the division between real life and fiction--it seems you're just trying to be polite, Gooey. Why wouldn't the same things would annoy you in real life?
It is true that the more introverted a character is, the less they'll say, and the more they'll think. It's not exactly conducive to radio drama. Unless you want a whole episode where the person's reacting to stuff inside their head. Radio drama is more about people interacting than introspection (which, of course is not the same as shyness, although it can be related).
You just answered your own question, Ameraka. ;)
As far as the question about different things annoying me in real life. I'm not just trying to be polite. I have nothing against shy people, and I often prefer them to more outgoing people. You explained yourself why they aren't enjoyable in a radio drama.
There are many things that I enjoy in real life but not in radio drama--and vice versa. Pre-Christian Eugene is a hilarious character, and I love listening to him. But if I knew a real person like him, he would annoy the heck out of me. Same goes for Jay and Rodney, but for different reasons.
Additionally, any sort of romantic interaction in audio drama gets on my nerves. But I don't mind it that much in real life. :p
Novatom
Raspberry Ripple

Blitz wrote:Priscilla is actually shy....
I don't think Priscilla is very shy. Most of the time she's with Barrett, and then she's just shy because she likes him. In Opposite Day, when she was best friends with Olivia, she didn't seem as shy.

Anyway, I think a shy character would be interesting. Maybe like a shy girl who has something bad going on in her life, and then the kids help her become a Christian.
17:39<Novatom>: I'm in another boat. A boat of people who don't know what everyone's talking about. A boat that is sinking.
17:40<Sameriazx>: oh no... here we go again...
Mickey
Peach Cobbler

I think they need a Mexican family. Maybe one who is struggling with money problems. And Whit helping out!
Proud K.R.E Member
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

Micky wrote:I think they need a Mexican family. Maybe one who is struggling with money problems. And Whit helping out!
The Parkers are half Mexican... I think that shows more authenticity than a completely Mexican family, especially one that fits the stereotype of poor...
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~
SirWhit
Banana Fudge

In my opinion, stereotypes are the last possible thing that AIO's characters should be. Especially a certain Asian basketball coach....