Waaah! Matthew has a new Voice!

Do you think Matthew is a great character? Absolutely hate Emily? This is the place to discuss AIO characters, from the old to the new!

Do you like Gunnar Sizemore as Matthew?

Poll ended at Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:57 pm

Yes
No votes
No
100%

Total votes: 4

TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

Oh, absolutely not. I'd love to see some characters age progressively and grow up. You can't keep boys at age 11 forever.
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
SirWhit
Banana Fudge

Yes. Yes. Yes. I'm tired of AIO doing their whole "plz dont grow up matty" routine.
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

TigerShadow wrote:Oh, absolutely not. I'd love to see some characters age progressively and grow up. You can't keep boys at age 11 forever.
Yeesss you can. If you think aio kids have it hard, "You should see Dennis the Menace. He's been six for thirty years."
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

Perhaps you can, but that doesn't mean that you should.
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Then consider for a moment: why does everyone do it? Why does Dennis the Menace (along with Charlie Brown and the rest of nearly the entire comic world) Winnie the Pooh and Sherlock Holmes, so far as we are told, never age a day? In our discussion of Emily, you claimed it's either because such entertainment is for children only (which is clearly not the case with these examples) or because just because it works when others do it doesn't mean Odyssey should. What is it that makes it work in all sorts of other franchises that somehow doesn't apply in aio? This "it works when every other media in the world does it aio is not allowed to" philosophy some have is frankly getting tiresome.
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

Pound Foolish wrote:Then consider for a moment: why does everyone do it? Why does Dennis the Menace (along with Charlie Brown and the rest of nearly the entire comic world) Winnie the Pooh and Sherlock Holmes, so far as we are told, never age a day?
Those particular works are very clearly not working in the same chronology as AIO. (Well, I don't know if Sherlock Holmes works that way, never having read it, but I know about the other things you're talking about.) This is why we have a trope for these things—Comic Book Time. Those things can have the characters not chronologically age because that is how their creators have chosen to make the series work. They don't have that kind of continuity. AIO does, though; its characters very clearly age progressively, and the show has a timeline (Jimmy Barclay goes through puberty, Connie graduates from high school and goes through college, Jack, Jimmy, Lucy, and Curt return the show eventually as adults when they were previously child characters, and Eugene graduates from college, gets married, and is now a professor at the college from which he graduated). AIO has very obviously attempted to show its characters "through the years", so the claim that it should suddenly be held to the same standard as other media that has disregarded the logic of time from the outset makes no sense. You cannot compare the two because they are very clearly in two different categories as far as time is concerned; just because Odyssey time is slow doesn't mean that it is static.

Your implicit conclusion that "everyone else is doing it, so let's give Odyssey a pass" ignores the way AIO has constructed itself. Odyssey is not like the forms of entertainment you described, and it's not like a soap opera. It has continuity on its own, it has a chronology and a history, and just because it's one that doesn't always make sense doesn't mean that it is nonexistant.
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

TigerShadow wrote:Those things can have the characters not chronologically age because that is how their creators have chosen to make the series work.
Annnd in aio these character have not aged because that is how their creators have chosen to make the series work.
TigerShadow wrote:Jimmy Barclay goes through puberty, Connie graduates from high school and goes through colleg
Because we had the exact same situation as Matthew had, and they did intend to remove Jimmy. They made a special exception for him because of the fanmail. Jimmy and the Barclays were already the longest running family they had, so people were attached to them. Most would agree the Barclays had something special about them, not every aio family that comes along is Barclay status.
TigerShadow wrote:Jack, Jimmy, Lucy, and Curt return the show eventually as adults
Yep, after having moved away from Odyssey. Did they ever age before that? Not so far as we were ever even once told. In fact, they kept Lucy as long as they did (and Mandy after her) because her voice went without changing for so long. Which is arguably part of the reason why characters like Lucy and Mandy work so tremendously well and are so well loved, rather than a detriment to it. (I realize Mandy aged super quickly right at the very beginning of her existence, and I hope you won't site that as an obvious exception to a very good generalization considering she's appeared in more episodes than any other female character.)
TigerShadow wrote:AIO has very obviously attempted to show its characters "through the years", so the claim that it should suddenly be held to the same standard as other media that has disregarded the logic of time from the outset makes no sense. You cannot compare the two because they are very clearly in two different categories as far as time is concerned; just because Odyssey time is slow doesn't mean that it is static.
Yes we can. Because in both cases we have found the so called "timeline" to be: whatever the writers feel like.
SirWhit
Banana Fudge

Pound Foolish wrote:
TigerShadow wrote:Those things can have the characters not chronologically age because that is how their creators have chosen to make the series work.
Annnd in aio these character have not aged because that is how their creators have chosen to make the series work.
TigerShadow wrote:Jimmy Barclay goes through puberty, Connie graduates from high school and goes through colleg
Because we had the exact same situation as Matthew had, and they did intend to remove Jimmy. They made a special exception for him because of the fanmail. Jimmy and the Barclays were already the longest running family they had, so people were attached to them. Most would agree the Barclays had something special about them, not every aio family that comes along is Barclay status.
Fair enough, Matthew isn't quite Barclay material, but he's a cut above the rest of the recent AIO kids imo.
TigerShadow wrote:Jack, Jimmy, Lucy, and Curt return the show eventually as adults
Yep, after having moved away from Odyssey. Did they ever age before that? Not so far as we were ever even once told. In fact, they kept Lucy as long as they did (and Mandy after her) because her voice went without changing for so long. Which is arguably part of the reason why characters like Lucy and Mandy work so tremendously well and are so well loved, rather than a detriment to it. (I realize Mandy aged super quickly right at the very beginning of her existence, and I hope you won't site that as an obvious exception to a very good generalization considering she's appeared in more episodes than any other female character.)
Yes, they did age. Lucy at the very least showed signs of aging, as she started an internship at the Odyssey Times, which one normally does in high school/
TigerShadow wrote:AIO has very obviously attempted to show its characters "through the years", so the claim that it should suddenly be held to the same standard as other media that has disregarded the logic of time from the outset makes no sense. You cannot compare the two because they are very clearly in two different categories as far as time is concerned; just because Odyssey time is slow doesn't mean that it is static.
Yes we can. Because in both cases we have found the so called "timeline" to be: whatever the writers feel like.
Again, fair enough.
I<3ODYSSEY
Vanilla

Who do you like better as the voice of Matthew? Personally, I like Zach better. I watched a recent video of him doing the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge, boy did he sound different. I think that, Gunnar is OK, I guess. He sounds a lot younger than Zach.
Thorin Oakeshield
ejmade
Caramel Crunch

Zach was definitely better! Gunnar is ok, but you're right. He sounds a lot younger, and not as smart...
There's been an awakening. Have you felt it? the Dark side... and the Light
Blitz
Moose Tracks

Zach is better to me. Gunnar's voice sounds forced.
Debate Vampire

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset
SirWhit
Banana Fudge

Gunnar sounds like Zach was injected with a mild sedative and forced to act afterwards.
Nelson S.
Mint Chocolate Chip

Mr. Whit's End wrote:Gunnar sounds like Zach was injected with a mild sedative and forced to act afterwards.
This.

That's not to say I dislike Gunnar, but I was so used to hearing Zach. I just now think of Matthew as a completely different character. The 'real' Matthew is better off without Emily. :D

(I was watching Hannah Montana the other day and saw Zach on it. It was cool to see him. He looked like he was 8 y/o, but still cool to see him.)
Gooey98
Raspberry Ripple

Yeah. Zach is an amazing actor; he's an expert at sounding completely natural. Personally, (and this may be controversial), I think he's a better actor than Andre Stojka. I wouldn't expect Gunnar to live up to that.
My David Crowder*Band website: http://dcbplus.weebly.com
My YouTube: http://youtube.com/WillLocatelli
My gaming YouTube: http://youtube.com/KingGrahamGaming
Bethany Shepard
Moose Tracks

I completely agree with you, Gooey98. Andre Stojka... *inwardly pucks*

Zach is such a good actor. It's kinda sad to see him leave and be replaced with someone so stiff. But I suppose he'll be fine. :o
"I am not a demon. I am a lizard, a shark, a heat-seeking panther.
I want to be Bob Denver on acid playing the accordion."
-Nicolas Cage
Dallas R.
Vanilla

See, the real dilemma is that neither Gunnar or Zach really sound like Zach anymore, if that makes sense. I mean, yeah, Zach was a better Matthew because the character was made to fit the voice, and not the other way around. This will almost always make the original actor more natural. But honestly, Zach sounds so different after his voice change, that I'd argue Gunnar actually sounds closer to the original.

And by far the best part about Gunnar taking over is that it keeps the Parker family younger for that much longer. I'm sure that if they'd kept Zach around, we might have the Parker's for a few more albums, but odds are that the AIO staff would start working on putting together a new focus family under the idea that "the Parker family was just getting too old". They might go the route they did with the Washington's and Barclay's by bringing in a younger character to keep someone in the family within the target audience age (i.e. Kelly and Lawrence) but bringing on Gunnar accomplishes this without changing the dynamic of the family and ensures that the Parker family will stick around for the foreseeable future.
Blitz
Moose Tracks

I think it is kinda useless to try to keep them young. Only Olivia has had a constant voices. They will need to change Camilla again soon.
Debate Vampire

Gooey98
Raspberry Ripple

Dallas R. wrote:See, the real dilemma is that neither Gunnar or Zach really sound like Zach anymore, if that makes sense[....]honestly, Zach sounds so different after his voice change, that I'd argue Gunnar actually sounds closer to the original.
I agree with this.
My David Crowder*Band website: http://dcbplus.weebly.com
My YouTube: http://youtube.com/WillLocatelli
My gaming YouTube: http://youtube.com/KingGrahamGaming
Bethany Shepard
Moose Tracks

Blitz wrote:I think it is kinda useless to try to keep them young. Only Olivia has had a constant voices. They will need to change Camilla again soon.
Maybe they'll change her character/personality, as well. :mrgreen:
Dallas R. wrote:See, the real dilemma is that neither Gunnar or Zach really sound like Zach anymore, if that makes sense[....]honestly, Zach sounds so different after his voice change, that I'd argue Gunnar actually sounds closer to the original.
Trueness has been spoken.
"I am not a demon. I am a lizard, a shark, a heat-seeking panther.
I want to be Bob Denver on acid playing the accordion."
-Nicolas Cage
Blitz
Moose Tracks

Actually what happens is that with every Camilla voice change, her character changes.
Debate Vampire