pity the characters with minimal concept art

Do you think Matthew is a great character? Absolutely hate Emily? This is the place to discuss AIO characters, from the old to the new!
thetardisrocks
Vanilla

pity the characters with minimal concept art

DoEs AnYoNe ElSe GeT aNnOyEd WiTh tHe SeRiOuS lAcK
of CONCEPT ART/stock art certain characters have? like Katrina only has 2 or 3 pictures.... some characters don't even have ANY.

then comes the difficult task of trying to make fan art when you have NO IDEA what a certain character looks like and you just *bangs head against wall repeatedly*

and at some point or another there was other concept art. There's been multiple concept artists for the album covers and what not, but the thing is, every time they would get a concept artist, they would kind of trash the old art and replace it with the new, which is in itself fine, But i really wish they kept a gallery of all the AIO concept art that's been made. I'd like to see it

hhhhh artist problems 9-6

poor characters who have little to no concept art.
#thestruggleisreal < h elp
"Then take a nap, I'll eat your take-out!"
"You wouldn't dare.."
"oh YEs I wOULD!"
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

That's why I just make stuff up, even for characters who have official art. (I think the term you're thinking of is official art or official designs; concept art is the term for art that conveys the general design of something, but isn't the final design, or is used as a model for other official art.) When I think about a character, I like to get a picture of them in my head that's usually based on their personality and how they sound. It might be based off of the official art for them, but it isn't always.

For example, I picture Kelly looking like Gary Locke's art for Liz, and I picture Liz looking completely different (if for no other reason than that Liz is a redhead). To me, Mandy looks nothing like the artwork of her on the updated Album 35 cover; in my head, Mandy tends to resemble a shorter-haired version of Rapunzel. I actually like the freedom that we get from not having official art of all the characters, because it gives me more leeway in my fanart and designs.
thetardisrocks wrote:But i really wish they kept a gallery of all the AIO concept art that's been made.
The old art is still around. There are pictures of the old album covers on AIOWiki, for when you just have that urge to look at character designs that look like they can be taken seriously.
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
Ameraka
Fudge Marble

Because of how AIO is an audio medium, and I had pictures of them in my head before I saw art of what they were supposed to look like, I think of the album art as suggestions more than anything. Who they look like in my head are what they really look like. Everyone can have different versions of the characters; that's part of why audio enhances your imagination (akin to reading).

I just wish that I had the ability to actually draw what they look like in my head. :)

My book, Justice Lost, is on Amazon Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JM1XFCI
Stella C.
Peach Cobbler

I used to just listen on the radio when I was younger, and already had mental pictures of what each character looked like when I first saw the actual art. I mostly just disregarded it, because I already had engrained my picture of them in my head (Mitch is a perfect example of this ;)). Sometimes it's nice just to be able to imagine a character the way you want them to be, but yes, it does tend to get difficult when attempting to draw a character.
Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring. -Proverbs 27:1
Sam: Up on our mountain, where the muffins stink, the boys aren't, and we play music all day long.. xD
Stella: Sounds AWESOME!
The Old Judge
Mint Chocolate Chip

I just tend to take the best illustrations of each character and use that as my mental image of them. Those that haven't been drawn, I just picture them as voices for the most part. (Or just distant figures, without any unique, discernible features.)
Do you think you know music? Guess the hints at the end of each of my posts in A Musical Journey. (The name's a link. You can click it.)
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

The Picture of Katrina Shanks is inaccurate - Katrina has brown hair & gray eyes.
Say, did you know that Bart Rathbone looked exactly like I imagined him to be?
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

The official art for Liz is wrong, too—she's a redhead, but was given dark hair. (At one point, Clubhouse ran an "Odyssey Blog" post in a 2007 issue in which Alex regales us all with tales of Liz's chipmunk cheeks following a mouth surgery, but the art—new art, specifically drawn for that issue—is a drawing of what is actually Aubrey Shepard, who was given curly blonde hair.)
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

I wonder what Whit and Connie really look like.