Matthew Parker

Do you think Matthew is a great character? Absolutely hate Emily? This is the place to discuss AIO characters, from the old to the new!

Matthew Parker

He's AWESOME! The best character! :D
28%
He's good, but not my favourite. :?
69%
I don't really like him. :l
3%
He's horrible! Why did they even bring him into the show! :x
No votes

Total votes: 29

Katrina Meltsner
Cookies & Creme

Matthew Parker

What do think of my poll? Matthew is like my favourite character he rocks.
Last edited by Katrina Meltsner on Fri May 18, 2012 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Katerina Meltsner
I'm a member of the doll lover's club.
I'm a member of the SS sister's club.
I'm a member of the Modest Cheerleaders Club
I'm a member of the Superheroes club
Emily is ANNOYING
"Eugene, we missed our own wedding''
Jason
Cookies & Creme

Matthew is definitely one of the better now kid characters. He definitely adds to the show. I don't particularly care for the J&P detective agency though...
Wretched Sinner
Lemon Meringue

Jason wrote:Matthew is definitely one of the better now kid characters. He definitely adds to the show. I don't particularly care for the J&P detective agency though...
Ya. Matthew is okay, but I'd rather hear from marvin again.
EugeneforPresident
Raspberry Ripple

Love Matthew
Eugene would be the best President, don't you think?
I'm a member of the:
Modest Cheerleaders Club!
Superheros Club!
Totally Tubular Commenting Club!
Doll Lovers Club!
Soda Shop Sisters Club!
Emily? Well, I'm in the middle somewhere.
ImageImage
Katrina Meltsner
Cookies & Creme

He's such a good character. I would rather hear from Jimmy or Marvin.
Katerina Meltsner
I'm a member of the doll lover's club.
I'm a member of the SS sister's club.
I'm a member of the Modest Cheerleaders Club
I'm a member of the Superheroes club
Emily is ANNOYING
"Eugene, we missed our own wedding''
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

I know I'm sort of bumping, considering the last post in this topic was made before I even joined, but I wanted to give my opinions on Matthew. I like his personality, even if he's a bit stereotyped, (as Priscilla pointed out in The Malted Milkball Falcon) and I like his dry humor. And after hearing interviews, the actor who plays him, Zach Callison, sounds awesome! I actually look forward to hearing more from Matthew in 56 and beyond.
Sir Arnold, Knight of the Order of Augustine, Debate Vampire
Mr. Yorp wrote:You don't need a degree to shovel manure.
Waldo
Raspberry Ripple

Bringing it back!
So I was babysitting the other night and brought along some AIO to listen to with the kids. But we were talking about the characters and the story lines and everything. It was super fun, like a real life SS, with small children (drinking tea, AIO, popcorn, fun stuff). Back to my point.

The young girl brought up a point about Matthew. She doesn't like Matthew, at all. She is younger then the character Matthew and she thinks he is really stupid. Upon further discussion I realized she is right. Matthew is really creative, all his tinkering and inventing, but he isn't really intelligent. Not saying that he has to be a mini Eugene but he is not exactly bright for his age. (I think he is 10 or 11 right? I could be wrong..).

I like Matthew, he is a really likable character and probably one of my favorite kid characters at the moment. But I agree that he is a little deceptively un-intelligent.
Odyssey Fan Wiley
Suzy Lou Foolish
Peanut Butter Cup

Odyssey Fan Wiley wrote:Bringing it back!
So I was babysitting the other night and brought along some AIO to listen to with the kids. But we were talking about the characters and the story lines and everything. It was super fun, like a real life SS, with small children (drinking tea, AIO, popcorn, fun stuff). Back to my point.

The young girl brought up a point about Matthew. She doesn't like Matthew, at all. She is younger then the character Matthew and she thinks he is really stupid. Upon further discussion I realized she is right. Matthew is really creative, all his tinkering and inventing, but he isn't really intelligent. Not saying that he has to be a mini Eugene but he is not exactly bright for his age. (I think he is 10 or 11 right? I could be wrong..).

I like Matthew, he is a really likable character and probably one of my favorite kid characters at the moment. But I agree that he is a little deceptively un-intelligent.
Hmm. Could you please clarify a bit more? What makes you think he is not exceptionally "bright"? I think he is quite mature for his age...he seems a bit more serious-minded and thinks a lot on his spiritual life. More-so even, I think, then some of the other current child characters. True, he is (as you said) no mini Eugene...but I've never thought him as being un-intelligent. I will admit, even being the Emily fan that I am, on occasion I've noticed that Emily's leading personality will lord over him on occasion, but even with that- he won't let her knock out every time.

Anyways, maybe I'm just not seeing what you're seeing. I also really enjoy Matthew, he's a fun-loving character. One of my personal favorites at the time being...but maybe I should pay a slight more attention to his personality. =)
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

I stand with my dear love, as usual. There's pretty much no basis for what you're saying, OFW.
However, to be honest, Matthew is not, never has been, and never will be a character particularly close to my heart. He's very good, I enjoy his episodes (well, except the one where he tries to "out-prank the prankster", that one is dull) and without him the show would have definite hole. But I'm not very good friends with him. I suppose it's because he's the sort of person I wouldn't seek out as a friend in real life. He's too mechanics minded. I once met a young kid like him, twelve or thirteen. Pale skin, glasses, and he would talk about nothing but collecting electronics and tinkering with them. He scared me to death.
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
Waldo
Raspberry Ripple

I am not saying that I dislike Matthew, I do like Matthew. I was just watching a little girl and expressed her outrage that he wasn't smarter. She is younger then his character is and she is smart but with an average 8 year old intelligence. I forget specifics because I am not currently listening to the episode we were listening to at the time. She pointed out things that a "normal" 10 or 11 year old would know, certain words or things.

I like Matthew and don't think they should change his character at all. He is thoughtful and he tinkers and is a good friend and all. I was just wondering everyone else's opinions since everyone seems to focus on Emily around here and no one really talks of Matthew.
Odyssey Fan Wiley
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

You still haven't given us any "unintelligent" things about Matthew. Do you remember any examples? I like that girl's pride-of-kidhood, but do you remember anything at all?
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
penny wise
Vanilla

He's O.K. but he needs some work.
Starflower1234
Cookies & Creme

I remember the comment he made in the one with the English nanny (can't remember the name of the episode right now) where he made the comment, when talking about the blood sausage or black pudding or whatever, "so, that's why George Washington kicked the British out of the country (America)" (That probably wasn't an exact quote) Maybe it's just me, but George Washington didn't really kick the British out of America. In fact, almost everyone in America *was* British, they just wanted to become an independent nation. So, that doesn't really sound like a very intelligent comment to me. Maybe I just understood it wrong.
But, all in all, I like Matthew. I like that he likes to tinker with things, and is very good at that. Maybe he's just mostly focused on tinkering, so he pay attention to history very much. But, he's a nice character.
I made a promise, Mr. Frodo. A promise. "Don't you leave him Samwise Gamgee." And I don't mean to. I don't mean to. - Sam from The Fellowship of the Ring movie
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you! - Sam from The Return of the King movie
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Jokes need to be intelligent?
I <3 Wooton
Caramel Crunch

I have a crush on Matthew.
Raggedy Man I remember you, and you are late for my wedding!
SirWhit
Banana Fudge

Pound Foolish wrote:You still haven't given us any "unintelligent" things about Matthew. Do you remember any examples? I like that girl's pride-of-kidhood, but do you remember anything at all?
He became friends with Emily, that's one, He hung around with Emily even more, that's two.
The Old Judge
Mint Chocolate Chip

Mr. Whit's End wrote:He became friends with Emily, that's one, He hung around with Emily even more, that's two.
And everybody said, "Amen."
I <3 Wooton wrote:I have a crush on Matthew.
Thank you for that deep insight into your personal life. Would anybody else like to piggyback on that confession and open up to us tonight?
Do you think you know music? Guess the hints at the end of each of my posts in A Musical Journey. (The name's a link. You can click it.)