What is a Hero?

If it doesn't pertain to Adventures in Odyssey, you've stepped into the right place! Grab a chair, and talk about your favorite books, TV shows, join a debate, or just be random!
Blitz
Moose Tracks

What is a Hero?

I've heard many things about what defines a hero. Many times, a hero is defined by the hero's journey, but more and more as I look at the world, hero's are being redefined in light of modern perspectives and shifting grey areas that grow larger each day. What is a hero to you? What makes him real to you? What makes you fall in love with the hero?

I've found myself drawn to the fierce patriotic sympathizes of Captain America, while he is but a man with a bit more strength, his strength of will and his true patriotism inspires me to greater things. While I find myself drawn to darker heroes like Venom. So tell me what are your heroes.
Debate Vampire

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Something to point out about Captain America's patriotism is that it's not a blind loyalty and he's willing to point out when America and SHIELD are doing wrong. He was against the massive surveillance craft SHIELD/Hydra built, he stood up for his friend Bucky, and when asked to go against his conviction, even by a superior officer in Civil War, he became what many considered a traitor.
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
Blitz
Moose Tracks

Yup that is one thing I love about him. He is not the blind leader, nor is he the leader responsible to no one. He has a chain of command and sometimes breaks from it to do what is right no matter the cost. Hence, he is forced into grey areas while many protagonists or hero, better called protagonist face no such threat. They come out on top all the time with no effort or breaking.
Debate Vampire

Mr. Clever
Cookies & Creme

Literally wrote an essay on this exact subject this semester.
Rather tired of talking on this subject. But it basically comes down to what you are defining what a hero is with. Are you using the worlds standards or the Bible's standards? And making people agree on things is like forcing the same side of a magnet together. You can force them together, but it never stays like that.

Peace out.
“We all change. When you think about it, we’re all different people, all through our lives. And that’s okay, that’s good, you gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be. I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I swear. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.” - Matt Smith
Blitz
Moose Tracks

TheDoctor wrote:Literally wrote an essay on this exact subject this semester.
Rather tired of talking on this subject. But it basically comes down to what you are defining what a hero is with. Are you using the worlds standards or the Bible's standards? And making people agree on things is like forcing the same side of a magnet together. You can force them together, but it never stays like that.

Peace out.
The idea of this thread is not to debate the idea of a hero but rather find out what you guys think is a hero. For even in a Biblical definition of a hero, are we defining a hero by David or Paul?
Debate Vampire

MonkeyDude
Cookies & Creme

I really like this topic. It's making me think.
*Finger guns aggressively*
Mr. Clever
Cookies & Creme

Blitz wrote:
TheDoctor wrote:Literally wrote an essay on this exact subject this semester.

Peace out.
The idea of this thread is not to debate the idea of a hero but rather find out what you guys think is a hero. For even in a Biblical definition of a hero, are we defining a hero by David or Paul?
Seriously didn't mean to debate it. Just skipping ahead a step. Cause if I say something like "A hero is brave and protects the innocent." Then someone will say "What about Deadpool?" So just saying you can only define it using your worldview.

“Only God may be adored, because only God is unlimited goodness, truth, and beauty, and thus only God deserves unlimited love.” - Peter Kreeft
“We all change. When you think about it, we’re all different people, all through our lives. And that’s okay, that’s good, you gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be. I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I swear. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.” - Matt Smith
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Of course Peter Kreeft would say that the Saints are to be venerated because they reflect God's goodness, truth, and beauty. If you were to ask Kreeft he'd probably say the Saints are the real heroes we should be emulating.
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
Blitz
Moose Tracks

Eleventh Doctor wrote:Of course Peter Kreeft would say that the Saints are to be venerated because they reflect God's goodness, truth, and beauty. If you were to ask Kreeft he'd probably say the Saints are the real heroes we should be emulating.
I wonder. But then again some saints are more relatable simply for the fact we can see that they struggled on and on in their quest for holiness, something we should be doing.
Debate Vampire

Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

And they were successful, their struggles are what we should be emulating. I've found that different Saints had different struggles and so different people relate to different Saints.