The Secret of the Writer's Ruse

Grab your AIO albums, and find a table! What makes your favorite episode the best? Have an episode you really dislike? This is the place to review and discuss AIO episodes and albums.
Kungfunaomi
Cookies & Creme

The Secret of the Writer's Ruse

So... what did you guys think?
Luke and I are already at opposite ends of the spectrum. I was ticked off by this episode and Luke really likes it. We both published our reviews:
Luke's: https://odysseynerds.wordpress.com/2018 ... rs-ruse-2/
Mine: https://odysseynerds.wordpress.com/2018 ... ters-ruse/
Mr. Clever
Cookies & Creme

Yeah! After I wrote my review I went of and looked at yours and I was like "Oh! Am I wrong or? Well too late now!"
“We all change. When you think about it, we’re all different people, all through our lives. And that’s okay, that’s good, you gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be. I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I swear. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.” - Matt Smith
Kungfunaomi
Cookies & Creme

TheDoctor wrote:Yeah! After I wrote my review I went of and looked at yours and I was like "Oh! Am I wrong or? Well too late now!"
Dude, your opinion is no more wrong than mine, OK? It's your opinion!
MonkeyDude
Cookies & Creme

Good reviews guys!
Personally, I do enjoy J&P Detective agency episodes, but this one is just kinda eh. Like at this point they've done a lot of J&P episodes but after a while, they all just feel the same, I was hoping they might mix it up this time. I am interested in the whole Morey arc. but it is rather slow moving.
*Finger guns aggressively*
Kungfunaomi
Cookies & Creme

MonkeyDude wrote:Good reviews guys!
Thank you!
Yeah, and I keep threatening to lose interest in Morrey but I'm still here. Maybe one day it will be more than a threat.
Scientific Guy
Cookies & Creme

Arista and I also reviewed this yesterday! (Although I was a bit preoccupied when we recorded because my GameCube decided to break and I couldn't figure out how to play but that's all another story.)
Final word: I didn't like this episode that much, but I still gave it 4 / 5. I'm probably just really generous.
Here are my points:
Spoiler alert!
4 / 5 (Originally 3 / 5 because I tried to solve it)

Pros:
*Score was good, brought a good tone...
**Like a traditional mystery score
**Pictures with Meaning
*Justin Felbinger was good
*Emily's first episode since "The Key Suspect"
*I always hear the sample clip whenever I hear the beginning of the episode
*Eugene was very Eugene-like
**He just rattles off info about Ann West
**Cold War... "On one side were communist countries"
**"The archives here go back to 1987. I've been meaning to ensure the library's..." "He said a lot of other things, too..."
***Wait, 1987?
*Whit has a Mac
*Whit's advice about secrets at the beginning tied in well to the end
*Andre Stojka was a good actor
**And him saying "You can't think clearly when you panic"
**And "No, nothing beyond what I just said."
**"I'm afraid it didn't come up in the teacher's lounge."
*"After searching for a few minutes-" "Hours-" "Thirty minutes-" "At least ninety-" "Fourty-five tops."
*I like Eden Hope's actress (Reva Rose)
*Although Emily's cutting Eden off at the end, it's funny to hear her rant while she stammers
**"And the first thing you say is, 'Wasn't that a satisfying mystery?'"

Hmm...:
*Why does this episode have 3 writers?
*Connie must have been excellent at making the pictures
*Emily and Matthew must have great memory retention
*Was NOT a solve-it-yourself mystery, so I can't exactly say it was a good mystery or comedy
**Info:
***Suddenly all of the fake info is revealed in the photo album and it's hard to keep track of it all
***And then it's suddenly all debunked without any real chance for the listener to debunk it
**This one was different because it dealt with history rather than current events; no real "suspect" **Although you can tell right away that Morrie is planning the little mystery... not the bigger one
**ALSO: After putting all that time into trying to figure out what was going on, I felt fooled when it was REVEALED to be a hoax.
***Although "I Slap Floor" was a hoax, you would have to do some digging to find that out
**All this would have been fine if I hadn't been trying to solve it

Rydell, Part 3:
(I want this section to be a surprise... it contains my theories about what Morrie is up to. You'll hear it in Podcast #10.)

Cons:
*The score seemed like it repeated itself a little
*Why does Emily keep cutting people off at the end? Maybe Austin Peachy's right
*I wish that Dale Jacobs had made a cameo
*Emily's voice from the beginning of the frantic "Where is Maggie?" line is not well blended with the surrounding lines; you can tell that she's going to be interrupted
**Sort of gasping "Yeah! And the school may have records: I'll check there. Maybe we can contact her family members..."
Shadow
Peach Cobbler

I give this episode 1 stars out of 5 because it isn't a good mystery, the actors have as much energy as a wooden block, and the dialogue makes me cringe so much...
I'm Monty Whittaker's greatest fan. member of the K.R.E
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Conniekendall fan
Strawberry

Agent.MontyWhittaker wrote:I give this episode 1 stars out of 5 because it isn't a good mystery, the actors have as much energy as a wooden block, and the dialogue makes me cringe so much...
I agree. I only listened to it once or twice and then i quit.
Constance Kendall
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

I thought this episode was interesting. I did guess several parts of the ending however.

I liked the homage this episode played to Agatha Christie, what with the book titles (similar to Murder on the Orient Express), and the missing days (Agatha Christie also went missing and showed up at a hotel with no memory of the missing days.)
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~