Adventures in Odyssey fanfiction

A place to discuss your own works. Whether they may be literary, visual art, or music pieces, this is the place to show off your stuff!
Ameraka
Fudge Marble

Thank you AuntKate!! :D
Here's the first chapter of Generation. I hope you like it!

Chapter 1

Connie held Jason's hand as they walked into the wilderness. The sunlight caught his features, showing his strong profile, the scar on his left cheek. How had she taken him for granted? So soon after they were married, how had she possibly ignored someone so beautiful?

Losing the baby had shattered her, diverted her affections, dulled everything. Without that, everything would have grown more wonderful each day as she got to know him, nothing to intrude on their happiness. She should never have let it go so far; she should have mourned the baby and moved on. He had lost the baby too but hadn't tried to retreat into oblivion.

She was moving on now. She had to. She couldn't dwell on the pain anymore, and she realized how unhealthy it was. How much of a toll it had taken on their relationship. Could they ever go back to the way it was? There had to be a way she could make it up to him, but she didn't know how. What did he need? She wasn't sure, but she wanted to give him everything possible. She thought showing him the place she should have shared with him before might be a good place to start.

"It's this way," she said, and led him on the path through the grass, now hardly visible since she hadn't been here for several days.

"This is off the beaten track," he said.

"Yes, well I wanted to escape. It helped me."

"I can see why."

She stopped, looked at him. "Jason, I can't get over how I treated you."

"Connie, after the second time Gray captured me—I was a wreck. I almost left you. You stayed with me through all of that and helped me get better. I wanted to do all I could to help you this time, especially since he was our baby. I just wish I could've helped you more."

"You did all you could. I just wouldn't let you. I'm sorry."

"You don't have to be sorry. I get how much it hurt—I felt it too."

"That's why I should've been with you instead of…disappearing like I did. I don't know if I can ever make it up to you."

"You don't have to."

She led him into the trees, the canopy of leaves diffusing the sunlight into rays of gold. A stream glittered through the grass; birds trilled in the air, echoing like music from a fairy tale.

Large flat rocks lay by the stream and she sat down on one. Jason sat down beside her. She slipped off her shoes and dangled her feet in the cool water.

"This is a beautiful place. No wonder you came here."

"I couldn't go any longer without sharing it with you. Now that we're…better."

He smiled. Brought his hand to her hair. She closed her eyes as his fingertips brushed her cheek. When his fleeting touch withdrew, she yearned for more. How had she gone so long without him? She didn't want to rush this. After all that had happened, she didn't want to destroy what they had by going too fast. She wanted to savor every moment of being with him.

He slid his bare feet into the water next to hers. They sat there on the sun-warmed rock, the water gurgling a constant melody. Minnows flashed like silver. A little ways down the opposite bank, a cluster of lavender flowers grew.

"Are those forget-me-nots?" she said.

"Looks like it. A little late for them."

"They're so pretty. I didn't notice them before."

"I'll get them for you."

"You don't have t—"

But he had already jumped off the rock into the stream. The water surged against his legs, sloshing against his pants where they were rolled up to his knees. He walked diagonally through the stream, reached the other side, and snatched up the bunch of flowers that hung over the bank. Then he came back. Just as he reached her, he slipped and fell to his knees in the water.

She reached for him. "Oohh, Jason, are you okay?"

He grasped her hand. "Yes, I'm fine. I saved the flowers, see?" He gave her the forget-me-nots with his other hand and climbed onto the rock beside her.

"You're soaked!"

"Not a big deal."

"Wet jeans aren't comfortable."

"They'll dry out. Small price to pay." He smiled wryly.

"They're beautiful." She breathed in their scent, the tiny flowers tickling her nose. Forget-me-nots….She never wanted to forget Jason or take him for granted. What he'd just done, he did every day in so many different ways as he expressed his love for her. How could she deserve someone like him?

"Jason." She turned to him. Her voice caught. "I never, ever want to forget about you like that again. It shouldn't matter what happens. We're supposed to be in this together."

"That's basically what we vowed when we were married."

"I thought I took it seriously—I mean, how could I not—but then the baby—and I guess I just wanted happiness so much that when something bad happened I couldn't deal with it."

"It was so soon after we were married. No wonder it nearly tore us apart. We hardly had the foundation of marriage…."

"It's not like it doesn't happen to other people. They deal with it."

"We had so many things happen we hardly had a chance to recover. We needed some happiness and then—" Tears hovered in his eyes. "God knows what he's doing."

"That's another thing. I didn't trust God in all of this."

"At least we know our baby's in heaven now. We'll meet him for real someday."

Tears spilled from her eyes and she reached for him and he embraced her, nearly crushing the flowers. "I will see him again," she said, hope filling her, spreading over the piercing sorrow like the dawn blazing through darkness.

She brushed back the lock of hair falling over his forehead, caressed his face. "You never know how long you have, do you?"

"Till death do us part. After that, we'll be together again."

"I don't want to waste the time I have here." She grasped his hand. "Now that I know what pain can do, I really know what those vows mean now. More than I did before. I will stand by you no matter what happens, in good times and bad times. I'll come to you instead of running away and we'll get through it together because we need each other. I don't want to hurt you, ever."

He squeezed her hand. "You're more important to me than anything in this world. You're worth so much more than anything I could ever give you. I love you, Connie, with all my heart."

"I love you too, Jason." She kissed him gently on the lips. He kissed her slowly, tenderly, like they had at their wedding, his hand against the back of her neck, hers against his cheek.

He leaned back and they grasped each other's hands and bowed their heads.

"Dear Lord," prayed Jason, "thank you that we will see the baby again someday. Thank you for bringing Connie into my life and help me to protect her and love her with all my heart. I pray that You would strengthen our relationship and help us grow stronger every day. Help us to know what's right and to follow You and not get sidetracked. Help me to always think of Connie first, and help us to know the next steps to take—"

Just then, Jason's cell phone rang.

Jason grabbed for the phone in his pocket. Still damp, it slid out of his hands and clattered onto the rock. He snatched it up. "It's Dad."

"You better take it."

Jason lifted the phone to his ear. "Hi, Dad. What's up?" A silence as he listened. His brow furrowed. "Hold on. Is something wrong?"

Connie's heart flipped. "Is Whit okay?" She couldn't help but leap to the worst-case scenario.

"He's fine….Yes, Dad, Connie's here…..Oh."

"What is it?"

"Dad wants us to go to Chicago. No—DC."

"What?"

"I'll tell you in a minute." He continued talking to Whit while Connie waited and wondered what could be going on.

My book, Justice Lost, is on Amazon Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JM1XFCI
Jo March
Raspberry Ripple

AHHH! Post the next, quick! Quick! PLEASE!!! This is GREAT!!!
Jo March
"There is no such thing as impossible. The word itself says I'm possible."-Audrey Hepburn
“You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” –C.S. Lewis
“No one ever made a difference by being like everyone else.” P.T. Barnum
PennyBassett
Fudge Marble

Yep, I am most certainly going to die if you don't post more soon! I love your writing! Keep it up!
"Let me get this straight. I bet all those non-friends of yours try to embarrass you about your love for that stuff, right? So, you almost feel like you have to hide your treasures away and can only take them out in secret on rainy days when your mom goes to the store to get more liver and nobody is around to berate your sensitive spirit. Is that what you’re saying?" -Jay Smouse
Kathy0
Cookies & Creme

Oh My Goodness, these are all really good! They are wonderful!
Jo March
Raspberry Ripple

Ameraka, did you see the stuff that I wrote? It's not fan-fic, but I think its pretty good!
Jo March
"There is no such thing as impossible. The word itself says I'm possible."-Audrey Hepburn
“You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” –C.S. Lewis
Ameraka
Fudge Marble

Thanks AuntKate, PennyBassett, and Kathy0!

AuntKate-- I did read it. I hope you post more! I like original fiction too, although I do devour anything that is AIO fanfic. ;)

Ameraka
Fudge Marble

Chapter 2

Jason hung up, his heart fluttering at the turn of events. He looked at Connie who had an apprehensive, expectant look on her face. Her green eyes stunned him with their beauty; for a moment he couldn't remember what his father had just said.

"What happened?" said Connie.

"Nothing yet. It's weird but—Dad didn't sound like himself. That's why I was concerned at first. He said nothing was wrong, just that he's going to Chicago."

"What for?"

"He said he was going for UPF, but I have a feeling that he's leaving something out. When I asked all he said was, 'I don't want to tell you till I know for sure.' I have no idea what he meant by that."

"So what did you mean by going to DC?"

"Well here's the other interesting part. Dad was invited to DC by the Agency. Seems they want to honor him—off the record of course—for fifty years of service. Because he has to go to Chicago, he can't go to DC and he wondered if I wanted to go for him. You could go too, if you want."

"I do."

"I thought you might. Just keep in mind, it will involve fancy parties, and hotels, and dresses and staying up late and getting up late….I don't know if you'd want to go."

"Jason, are you kidding me! Oh. You are." She slapped him lightly on the shoulder. "You know me. That sounds like the kind of adventure I'd like. It doesn't involve danger, does it?"

He shook his head. "Not unless you mean the DC heat. It can get brutal, believe me. Anyway, we'll be inside most of the time. We're invited to a reception for some ambassador or other. We don't have to go— we could just pick up the award later—but I thought you might like to."

"It sounds like fun!"

"It can kind of be like another honeymoon. Our last one got cut a bit short. We can stay in the best hotels, and I can treat you to the best DC has to offer."

"You don't have to be so extravagant as that!"

"You're worth it."

"After all you've done—I can never repay you."

"You do. All the time." His heart ached with love for her. He'd been with her, but without her, for so long that everything she did satisfied him completely yet drove him crazy with longing. Every look she gave him that burned with love tore him to the core and yet he had to be careful to take it easy, not drive her away. Be extra attentive to her every need, do whatever she wanted, do whatever he could to avoid ever going back to living with that agonizing distance between them.

"When are we supposed to go?" she asked.

"Here's the thing—we have to leave tomorrow."

"Tomorrow!"

"Is that okay?"

She looked away, holding the flowers close to her chest. Then she looked back at him, her eyes sparkling with guarded excitement. "I can't live my life afraid something might happen. Let's do it."

"Just so you're sure."

"As long as you want to."

"I really don't care as long as I'm with you. This could be just what we need. Something out-of-the-ordinary to help us move on, and then we can come home and get back to normal."

"Better than normal."

"Better than normal." He nodded. "We'd better start getting ready."

"And we can put these flowers in some water before they get completely destroyed."

Jason climbed off of the rock, feeling a bit stiff. I'm not as young as I once was…and all my injuries don't help. I'm like a football player—out of the game by 40.

He grasped Connie's hand as she stepped off the rock, clutching the flowers. After putting her shoes on, she walked beside him back through the trees. His jeans were cold and soggy from falling into the stream, but that was nothing. He'd go through a thousand times worse than he ever had to bring Connie happiness.

Across the field, they reached the car at the edge of the gravel road and drove back to Odyssey. Back at home, Connie stuck the flowers in a vase and put them on the table. Sunlight shone through their translucent lavender petals.

She stood silhouetted against the light. To touch such an astonishing being—how had he ever dared entertain the thought? He could never reconcile the fact that someone so beautiful in so many ways had chosen him. He should be content that she deigned to look at him. And yet—he couldn't help but need more of what she was every second.

He stepped up to her. Reached toward her, then stopped. He had to let her take the initiative; he couldn't presume she needed his touch as much as he needed hers.

She tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. Her eyes caught his, mesmerizing him, freezing him in place. Her lips, so devastatingly perfect….

"I suppose it's time to pack," she said.

He cleared his throat. "Yeah, I'd better call Dad back and finalize our flight."

"Okay! I'll get our suitcases out." And she dashed upstairs, oblivious of her effect on him.

He called his father back on his cell phone. Thankfully it hadn't gotten soaked in the river, just a little residual dampness.

"Hi, Dad."

"Hi Jason. What have you decided?"

"We want to go. Connie's excited about it."

"Wonderful. I might have given you the opportunity even if I wasn't going to Chicago. This way I have a good excuse. You'll enjoy it more than I would, anyway."

"I want to treat her, do everything I can for her, and show her how much I love her. It seems like if I did everything I possibly could for her it would never be enough."

"That's because your love can't be contained by material things—it goes far beyond that."

"I want to give her everything I can, but at the same time I have to hold back because I don't know what she wants."

"Sometimes love is restraint as much as it is expression. Love is patient."

"I know. But part of my love is selfish—I need her, I can't stand any sort of distance between us especially after all that happened—but I have to put her needs first."

"That's true. But you're a partnership now. Your needs are important too. You should tell her about how you feel, what you need and want."

"Yeah. I suppose so. I just don't want to do anything that might—I mean, so close to what happened, things are fragile now, I don't want to go too fast or do something that might ruin what we have."

"Just make sure you communicate in love what you are thinking when the time is right. And give yourselves some credit. You had a good foundation before you were married. You complement each other, and you are both strong, compassionate people. You can work any issue out if you want it enough, with God's help."

"Thanks, Dad. I just want to make sure that the foundation we rebuild is strong. I don't want to risk it falling apart again."

"This was a horrible test it had to go through. It was neither of your faults—and Connie went through it in a different way than you did. It would've shaken anyone's foundation. Now that you've weathered this test, it's unlikely to happen again."

"That's part of it, though. She's afraid that something is wrong, that she won't ever be able to have a healthy baby. I'm okay with it, if she doesn't want to have a child….I get why she'd think that way and I don't want to push the issue. I definitely don't want to bring it up so soon. But Dad, I—" His voice caught. "I want kids. I want to see little Connies and Jasons running around. I want—I'm sorry, I shouldn't be talking about this to you when I can't talk about it to her."

"It can help to talk about it. Eventually, you'll have to deal with this."

"Another thing we have to deal with…eventually. Right now I want to focus on this trip.

"By the way, are you all right, Dad?"

"Why do you ask?"

"Your last phone call…"

"It's nothing."

"So you're going to Chicago, skipping the Agency's invite, for nothing?"

"Well….it could be nothing. I'm sorry, I don't want to be so mysterious, but it's something that could concern you, and I don't want to say anything till I know for sure. Once you're back from DC, I should know."

"Okay. I'll have to be satisfied with that. But you know me, I can't just let things go, it's my job to find out secrets, remember?"

"I'll tell you as soon as I know one way or another."

"Just so you're okay."

"I'm fine."

"Good." Jason wasn't totally convinced, and he was mystified about his dad's behavior. But he'd just have to wait and find out later. Time to get ready to go to DC with Connie.

He said goodbye and took his laptop to the couch and looked up the airline. He found 2 tickets for 6:30 a.m. but he didn't want to book them before he asked Connie. That flight was pretty early. So he went upstairs to their room.

She stood with her back to him in front of the closet, sliding clothes hangers apart. Her half of the closet was almost empty. Most of the clothes were piled on the bed, smothering the suitcases.

"Connie?"

She turned around. "What?" Her hair was disheveled, a strand fallen enticingly over her cheek.

"We don't need to bring the whole closet. Unless you're planning to stay longer than a couple days."

She spread her hands, making an exasperated noise. "I don't have anything to wear! Some of these are okay for a party here in Odyssey, but in DC they'd look like something from the thrift shop! Some of them are from the thrift shop!" She gestured to the dresses on the bed.

He picked up a lavender one. "What about this one?"

"Jason, that's just some old sundress, I don't even wear that now. I should throw it out." She snatched it from him and tossed it onto the floor.

"What about this one?" He picked up a white dress.

"That's my wedding dress. It's like the best one I have but I can't exactly wear that." She took it from him and cradled it in her arms.

"What about the dresses you wore in Paraguay?" He dug in the pile again, a little more judiciously, and pulled out a melon-colored one that he remembered her wearing and being spectacular in. But then, she looked good in anything.

"That's more for a day at the beach or going shopping. I don't really have a good formal evening dress."

He tossed it back on the pile. "Well, we could go buy one."

She sighed. "That's what I'll have to do. I'll just zip out to the mall tonight and see if I can find something."

"Or if we took an early flight we could go shopping in DC."

Her eyes lit up. "Really? I bet they have amazing shopping centers out there. They'd have anything I'd want. I don't want to get something too expensive, though. How early is the flight?"

"Six-thirty. We'd get there by 10:30 or 11."

"Well, that'd give us enough time to shop. Or me, anyway—you don't have to come along."

"I'll probably just wear what I wore to our wedding. But I'll come along, if you don't mind."

"You sure?"

He nodded. "Is six-thirty too early though? We'll have to get up at 5 and go to bed at like 9."

"That's okay. I'd better get packed. I'll pack a default dress just in case, but no guarantee I'll be able to step out in public in it." She carefully hung her wedding dress back in the closet. Jason helped her hang up the other dresses and packed his clothes while she debated what clothes to pack in her suitcase.

"You know," he said, "it doesn't matter what you wear. Not to me. You are always beautiful."

"I saw myself in the mirror after I came upstairs. I'm a mess."

"I've never seen a more beautiful mess." He stepped over to her.

He hesitated to touch her but she took his hand in hers, threading her fingers through his. She slipped her other hand into his hair and gave him a slow, soft kiss. Shivers raced down his skin at her touch.

She pulled back. "Thank you, Jason."

"For what?"

"For being so….Jason." She smiled.

She continued packing while he went down to fix supper. They had dinner together, the forget-me-nots as a centerpiece, and then sat on the porch to watch the sunset while the crickets hummed a constant melody.

Then they headed upstairs and crawled into bed. She curled up beside him, a contented look on her face. Soon she fell asleep.

He knew he should sleep too because it would be a long day tomorrow, but his heart kept pounding in fevered anticipation.

He tried to quiet his thoughts; he used to have no trouble going to sleep, even before a dangerous mission. Looking at her, he gloried in the curve of her porcelain cheek in the dark. He longed to touch her but dared not disturb her, settling for brushing back one lock of hair from her cheek. She stirred, snuggling closer to him, smiling in her sleep. He wrapped his arm around her and she laid her head against his chest. Secure and warm beside her, he let sleep creep up on him, and soon it claimed him without resistance.

Jo March
Raspberry Ripple

Great job!! Can't wait for the next chapter!!!!! You are an excellent author!!!
Jo March
Kathy0
Cookies & Creme

OH MY GOODNESS! I can not wait for the next post! You are SO good at this!
GJFH
Peanut Butter Cup

This is wonderful Ameraka, the picture you painted with your words, especially with the last few paragraphs. I also like how you describe Jason, you did not try to change anything we know about him, rather build with the little we know to make him more human in our eyes. If that makes sense. :)

And also, the lessons you placed within the character's thought, they are quite provoking.
Please, keep writing!
I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us - Romans 8:18

It’s not enough to be against something. You have to be for something better. – Tony Stark
Ameraka
Fudge Marble

Thanks AuntKate, Kathy0, and GJFH! It's really encouraging to know people are reading this and like it enough to keep reading.
GJFH wrote:This is wonderful Ameraka, the picture you painted with your words, especially with the last few paragraphs. I also like how you describe Jason, you did not try to change anything we know about him, rather build with the little we know to make him more human in our eyes. If that makes sense. :)

Yes that makes sense. I really try to paint a picture with words so I'm glad it's working! And I kind of do start out with the base of Jason from the show and just add what he might do if he were in the situations that I put him in.
GJFH wrote:And also, the lessons you placed within the character's thought, they are quite provoking.
Please, keep writing!
I'm actually not sure what you mean by this. :oops:

I will keep writing! Even if it's slow. It's been slow lately. I've got a lot going on including my normal novel (though I'm not really doing NaNo, I'm trying to write more in November). But it's always in my mind and ...sometimes it is hard to figure out what happens next for some reason. Though I have a basic idea of where it's going, I have to figure out how to get there. :)

Ameraka
Fudge Marble

Chapter 3

"How about this one?" said Connie. She stepped out of the dressing room in a red dress she wasn't too sure about.

"That's beautiful," said Jason.

"That's what you said about the last five."

"I told you, as long as you're in them, you're all I see."

"But I can't just wear anything to the party."

"Why not? They won't care."

"They're high society. That's what they care about."

"That and national government."

She frowned. "That's another thing. Maybe we should just skip this party and have a night on the town instead. I'm not exactly…a government type. I won't know what they're talking about." A pang of panic pierced her when she thought of it. How had she dared to come here? She'd gotten all caught up in the excitement of it, her first real night out after…everything. And it hadn't hit her until she was on the flight over that she wasn't really cut out for this type of thing. Parties, sure. But an ambassador's reception? She'd make a fool out of herself. Not know which fork to use and that kind of thing. Trip on her high heels probably.

"Connie, a lot of their wives and husbands and others will be there."

"They're still a part of that life."

"A bunch of Agency people will be there. They're not exactly conventional….though they do know how to blend in. We can sit with people I know, and you can only talk to me if you want. Everyone will rave about the mysterious belle of the ball." He smiled. "Besides, you do fit in. You are the wife of an agent—or a wife of an ex-agent. You have a right to be mysterious."

"I'll probably just fall on my face."

"Just stay close to me. It'll be our night. We'll have fun together and won't care about anything else. If anyone bothers you, I'll protect you."

The fierce look in his eyes sent tingles through her. He looked ravishing now, in his casual clothes—she couldn't wait to see him in his suit tonight.

She wished she could step up to him and kiss him but there were people in the store. Who cared. But…there would be time for that later.

"I'll just try on this one more dress and then we can go to a different store."

"Okay."

She swept back into the dressing room and took the glittering blue dress off the hanger. It was gorgeous—a little too much so. It'd bury her in its beauty. But maybe that was the point. Still, it was probably too expensive. She'd just try it on for fun.

She took off the dress she was wearing and slipped into the other one. The zipper was hard to pull all the way up in the back, but with a bit of contortion she made it.

She stepped back and looked in the mirror. For a moment, she didn't recognize herself; the image in the mirror looked like a modern-day princess. Of course, her hair was a bit messy and staticky from trying on the dresses. But otherwise—wow. It fit her in all the right places, and the color brought out the blue tints in her eyes, and the magnificent flare of the skirt would be perfect for dancing. Ah, to dance with Jason on the dance floor….let everything else melt away except his eyes, his touch….

She looked at the price tag and gasped. "No, I can't get this one," she said under her breath, disappointment hitting her. It was so perfect….Well, sometimes it was fun to try on clothes even if you weren't going to buy them. Where else would she wear this, anyway?

She stepped out of the dressing room. Jason looked up from his iPhone. At first he just stared at her. Then he said, "That's it. That's the dress."

She twirled slowly around for him, reveling in the feel of the fabric, its rustle, its glitter. For a moment, she could pretend that she would keep it.

He stood and laid his hand lightly on her back, just above where the fabric met her skin. He took her hand in his, gazing into her eyes. He swept her slowly around and then tipped her backwards, as if the finale of a dance.

"Ah!" she cried, surprised. A couple people in the store looked at them.

He tipped her back up and kissed her on the lips. "That's just a taste of what we'll do tonight."

"I can't wait."

"I'll have to fight off a few guys for you."

She frowned. "I can't get this dress, though."

"Why not?"

"It's too expensive." She showed him the tag.

He barely looked at it. "The price doesn't matter."

"Are you crazy?"

"I told you, I want to treat you."

"But can we afford this?"

"We can't afford to live like this all the time. But tonight—we're going all out. If this is really the one you want, I'll get it."

"Well…" She looked down at its shimmering sapphire blue. "I do want it. It's not something I'll ever wear again, though."

"Who knows. If you have fun tonight, maybe we can come out here occasionally."

She fingered its fabric, a little hesitant still. "But is it too much? Maybe I should get something less…showy."

"You deserve a dress that's fit for a queen." He took her hand and bowed over it, kissing it.

"Jason, we're in a store."

"I don't care. You're the only one here to me."

She went back into the dressing room and changed into her shirt, pants and boots. Now she'd have to find some shoes to go with the dress. Her head spun. She could hardly believe he was getting this dress for her. But delight spilled through her when she thought of it.

In a different store, she bought some blue strappy high heels to go with the dress. Jason assured her that he'd get anything—within reason, of course, not some haute couture thing. She assumed, anyway. She didn't want to press her advantage too much.

As she was walking out of the massive shoe store, she spied a jewelry store and they went over to look at it just for fun. In the window glittered a necklace with a brilliant sapphire. It caught her eye at once and she stood mesmerized at the iridescent fire blazing inside of it, almost like it had a glowing heart of its own. It would go perfect with her dress. But she didn't want Jason to think she wanted it—he'd already done so much. So she stepped back and walked along the aisle looking at the other rings and necklaces, only half seeing them, the sapphire still gleaming in her mind.

Jason caught up with her. She doubted he actually enjoyed shopping; they should get back to the hotel anyway and get ready.

"Do you want anything in here?" he asked.

"No, I don't need anything."

"That sapphire would match your dress."

"It's too extravagant, Jason."

"I've hardly gotten you anything, though, if you think about it. Our life together has already been unconventional….I haven't even gotten you any jewelry."

"I want you for you, not what you can give me."

"Tonight is our night. If you want it, just say the word."

"Well…I suppose….."

"Great!" He strode over to the counter and asked the clerk to open the case. The man laid it in a golden box and Jason paid for it. Then they left the store, Connie dazzled at the whirlwind turn of events, the beautiful things she possessed, made all the more beautiful because of his love.

Jo March
Raspberry Ripple

Awesome!! Can't wait for the next chapter!! You did a great job!!
Jo March
Kathy0
Cookies & Creme

Its beautiful! Wonderful job dear!
Shadow
Peach Cobbler

I hate C+J.
I'm Monty Whittaker's greatest fan. member of the K.R.E
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
GJFH
Peanut Butter Cup

Agent.MontyWhittaker wrote:I hate C+J.
Agent.MontyWhittaker, you have already made that clear before, think about the message you're sending here, in someone's personal gallery where they have been brave enough to share their art. As it is true everyone has a right to their opinion, we need to be respectful and considerate of other's. :yes:

You have a thread solely devoted to harbouring negativity against the ship. Please, don't throw it at someone who has created a place where they can support the ship without arguing about it.
Where Ameraka has influenced others with her writing, even if those who enjoy her stories do not ship Jason and Connie. Her writing is amazing :) and does not deserve spam or hate. That being said, if you do not have anything of substance to say, please read through another thread.
I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us - Romans 8:18

It’s not enough to be against something. You have to be for something better. – Tony Stark
Shadow
Peach Cobbler

I admit it is pretty good.
I'm Monty Whittaker's greatest fan. member of the K.R.E
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Jo March
Raspberry Ripple

Even I like it, and I am not a fan of Connie and Jason, but i like the writing. And the excitement
Jo March
Ameraka
Fudge Marble

Thanks Kathy0 and Jo March!
Thanks GJFH for your wonderful words.
I'm glad even people who don't ship C+J like this story (though I wish they'd come over to my side :lol: )

Ameraka
Fudge Marble

Chapter 4

In the hotel, Jason pulled on his suit, his hair still damp from taking a shower. Connie had tried to hurry him, afraid they'd be late. He wasn't worried; they had plenty of time.

She burst through the bathroom door. "Jason, I can't seem to zip this up. Can you get it?"

She swept around, the dress rustling richly. He was glad he'd gotten it for her. He zipped it up, brushing her back with his fingers as he did so….He longed to kiss the back of her neck but he refrained. He had to focus on the mission at hand.

"Thanks," she said, and turned to look in the mirror. "My hair's a mess! I don't know what to do with it."

"It looks great the way it is."

"I can't go like this. My makeup isn't right, either. I look like a hobo."

He laughed. "You're the most beautiful hobo I've ever seen."

"Cut it out, Jason!" She slapped him on the arm. "I'm going to make a fool out of myself, what's the point of wearing a dress like this, I'm going to look like a hick compared to everybody—"

He took her arm. "Hey. You're gonna blow them all away. You know that? Remember, this is our night. We can pretend no one else is there if we want to."

She looked up at him. "I suppose…I just feel so awkward all of a sudden. And panicky."

He put one hand delicately around her waist. "If you really don't want to go, we don't have to. If it's no fun, there's no point."

"No…I want to go. I can't waste this dress. Maybe I can pretend to be someone else for a while."

"We could pretend to be spies. Like a game."

"I don't mind that type of spying."

"Who knows, they might catch us and think we're real spies. We'll have to be very careful and play our role convincingly." He kissed her on the cheek. She laughed and they held each other for a few moments before she broke away and went back into the bathroom to fiddle with her hair.

He put his shoes on and then went in the bathroom to put on his tie.

"Here, let me do it," she said and reached around his neck, slowly, deliberately tying it with expert fingers. He didn't know how he could survive the night next to such a beautiful creature, not sure if it would ever be quite the same between them as it had been before. They were close again but there was still this unspoken awkwardness, a certain distance between them. He didn't want to trigger whatever he had that one night when she had said she didn't want children, or go back to the time when she had been unresponsive. He had to be careful just in case something might push her away again. Anything but that. For now, her needs were all that mattered. He wanted their relationship to be closer and stronger than it ever had been before, but he didn't know how to make that happen. As long as she was happy, that was enough.

Back in the bed room, she swept back a curl from her forehead. "What do you think?"

"You look perfect."

"Is my hair okay?"

He touched one soft strand of it. "You look—" He was at a loss for words but settled for "amazing."

From the bed, he lifted the necklace out of the box. He swept her hair back and slowly draped the delicate chain around her neck. Would it be too much to kiss her? How would he know what she wanted from him? How much would be too much, and would risk driving her away?

The sapphire lay over her heart, glimmering in the dim light. "I feel like some sort of princess."

"You are."

"I still feel a little weird. I don't want to end up wrecking this dress or losing the necklace or something."

"It'll be all right. Shall we?" He offered his arm.

She grabbed her purse from the bed and they stepped out of their hotel room.

"If I'm a princess, then you're my prince."

"More like your footman or something."

"No, you look like a prince, my beautiful, amazing Jason." She kissed him on the cheek.

He noticed a spring in her step as she walked out the door and was happy that she seemed to have shed her nervousness.

A long black limo pulled up as they stood on the sidewalk. She started for the parking lot but he said, "No, Connie. Here's our ride."

She stopped. Her eyes lit up. "Oh, Jason! So many wonderful surprises…I don't know if I can take it!"

"You're my princess, remember. Or my secret agent. Either way…" He took her hand, and she stepped into the limo, poised and elegant and stunning.

Inside, he handed her a dozen roses and she lifted them up to smell them. "I can't—I mean—" She shook her head, as if at a loss for words. "How much?"

"Don't worry about it. I love you and you deserve the best, always. I can't always give you the best, but tonight—"

"I need to do something for you, too."

"Are you happy?"

A tear slipped from her eye. "Yes!"

"Then I am too. That's all I want."

Her hand crept over to his. He grasped it. She looked up at him, her eyes reflecting the blue of her dress, and she gave him a kiss, then pulled back, leaving him starving for more.

It only took about ten minutes to drive from their hotel to the more expensive one he hadn't been able to get. He might have treated her to it if it hadn't been too short of notice to reserve it; the thing was booked till next June. He helped her out of the limo and they strode arm in arm into the Mayflower Hotel.

As they walked into the hotel, Connie was hyper-aware of the feel of the dress as its hem dragged along the ground, its glitter at the edge of her vision like the scintillation of diamonds, the slight pressure of the metal backing of the sapphire against her chest, the pinch of the high heels' straps, their click, click on the pavement and then the marble of the floor. Her heart beat hard, thumping in her ears.

Breathe, she told herself. Focus. If you keep up like this you might faint and that would be super-embarrassing. Jason's with you. Like he said, this is supposed to be fun.

She looked at him as he walked beside her. His hair was stylishly messy, sticking up in artful directions, its brown glimmering with faint hints of copper, his face just the right amount of unshaven. He exuded a casual intensity, an easy confidence. His dark suit was striking, his tie matching his eyes.

I'm the one who's going to have to fight the girls away, she thought. How could you not fall in love with him? Strong, magnificent, gorgeous—my very own secret agent.

Hardly able to help it, she kissed him on the cheek. I'm going to stick close to him tonight, not because I'm afraid, but because I don't want to ever be apart from this dazzling being.

He returned the kiss on her temple as they walked into the lobby, his arm around her. A few others walked in behind them. The receptionist said, "Are you here for the Centennial Celebration?"

"Yes, we are," said Jason.

"Please follow the sign to your left."

"Thank you."

They followed the "Centennial Celebration" sign. And then they walked through some golden doors into a huge room full of tables, bouquets bursting with brilliant purple, red, and yellow. Balconies gleamed with golden designs that spread to the chandelier glittering on the ceiling. In the front, past screens showing scenes of green fields and lush forests and old-European-looking towns, a band played a lively tune that threaded through the hum of conversation.

People milled throughout the room, some of them seated, some speaking with glasses in their hands. A festive atmosphere thrummed through the air. Maybe she could enjoy this after all. Though she didn't want to stray far from Jason—she didn't want to be without his amazing self. Especially since she had been absent for so long. Guilt shot through her. She'd have to think of some way to repay him for all he'd done, all that he was.

"This is beautiful, Jason. Wow!"

"I've been at some cool parties here before."

"So this isn't so special to you."

"It is, because it's the first time you're here. You make everything a thousand times better."

"Well I wouldn't even be here if it wasn't for you, so….. Jason, you look wonderful. Gorgeous. I can't—get enough of looking at you, being with you. Don't you leave my sight."

"I won't. I can't get enough of you, either, my Connie." His look of pure love sent thrills through her. She returned its intensity but then had to look away because she didn't trust herself not to kiss him right there, make a demonstration that everyone would notice. In a moment, she might not even care about the attention.

"Oh, hey, there's someone we both know," he said.

"Who?" She looked around.

"Tasha!"

Shock iced through her. Not just the name, but the excitement in his voice when he said it. He led her over to the side of the room where Tasha was standing alone next to one of the ornate white pillars. She held a half-empty wine glass in her hand and wore an apple-red dress. Her dark hair was arranged artfully, little roses peeking through it, her lips strikingly red against her pale skin. Her noble, elegant face had the perfection of a Greek goddess and the dress showed off her statuesque body in all the right ways. Suddenly Connie felt her dazzle a little dulled—next to Tasha, her dress wasn't as eye-catching as she'd thought. And next to her beauty—

Jealousy shot through her. How had Jason ever chosen her over someone like this?

Tasha's eyes lit up when they met Jason's. Connie's jealousy burst through her heart like a fiery bloom, and then spread down her veins like icy fire.

He is mine. I'm not giving him back, even if you might deserve him more…

"Hi, Tasha," said Jason, with an easy familiarity as if they hadn't been apart for long at all.

"Hello Jason, Connie. How are you both doing? You look fabulous, Connie."

"Th-thank you. So do you."

Tasha smiled.

"We've been seeing the best DC has to offer," said Jason. "Shopping-wise, anyway."

Tasha's eyebrow raised. "You hate shopping."

"It's not so bad if you're doing it in the right company." He reached for Connie's hand and she held it like a precious treasure she never wanted to let go.

"I never had much use for it myself, except if it's prep for a mission. This is just something I pulled out of the closet from a former case. That dress, Connie, if you don't mind me saying so, is stunning on you."

"Thank you. It's nothing like yours."

"This is just showy. Yours is a work of art."

"It's not…too much, you know, for a small-town girl like me?"

"No. You look like you fit here. In fact, you look like you fit together….very well." A shadow crossed her eyes as they flickered down almost imperceptibly.

"We do," said Jason. He put his arm around Connie's shoulder and she grasped his hand. She felt…in sync with him then, like they were two pieces of a puzzle, as if she was meant to be there, and always had been. A thrill flowed through her and she realized all of a sudden how silly it was for her to be jealous of Tasha. How she could never, ever doubt Jason's love. How they belonged together, a perfect match.

"I'm glad," said Tasha. "I want you both to be happy." She took a sip from her glass. "So how have you been since Paraguay?"

"I'm fine," said Jason. "It was…difficult, more emotionally than anything. But I've been able to move on. How about you?"

"Oh, keeping busy. Nothing I can divulge, I'm afraid. Except that—you might be interested to know this—Gray's case is going to trial soon. I'm actually speaking in his defense, since he helped on that mission. I hope you don't mind."

Jason shook his head. "I've forgiven him. I only hope he uses this opportunity to seek the truth."

"It's true that he's changed. In some ways, at least. But I'm not sure how close he is to…seeing things from your point of view."

"What about you?"

"What do you mean? Oh. Jason. I—haven't really had time for such things."

"It's the most important thing there is."

"Well, yes. But it suits certain people more than others… It's good that you two are married and share that common faith, that common bond. That you didn't…wait for me." She cleared her throat. "Oh, my. I'm sorry, I probably shouldn't have said that."

"That's okay, Tasha. I just…want you to be happy, too."

She smiled a little sadly. "Well, you know me. As long as I'm working, I'm good.

"I'm glad you came. Though it's too bad Whit couldn't make it. He's okay, isn't he?"

"Yes. He had something urgent in Chicago to take care of. You wouldn't know what that would be?"

"I was hoping you could tell me."

Jason shook his head. "He's been so cryptic about it of course it piques my curiosity."

"Once an agent, always an agent. You sure you don't want to come back?"

"I think that chapter of my life is over, Tasha. I've got a life in Odyssey, and I'm very content there."

"You did good work in Paraguay. You could do some off-the-books stuff like your father. Tamer missions that still require your expertise."

A spark of excitement glittered in his eyes, then a shadow swept over them. "Right now, all I want to do is focus on building our life together." He looked at Connie, and the room faded as she returned his gaze. He was all she needed. But would she always be enough for him—an ex-agent with a penchant for risk, adventure, accomplishing daring feats in secret? Was there a way that she could provide the excitement he needed in his life? Did he truly want to settle down completely or was she holding him back?

"Excuse me," said an amplified voice with an accent. Connie turned to see a man standing on the stage in front of the rich red curtain. "Welcome to the Centennial Celebration of Muldavia's independence. We would like to extend our greetings to all who have responded to our invitation—Senators, Congressmen, diplomats, media, and especially those who have been a friend to us over the years. Without you, we would not be the country we are today, and without some of you, we might not even be a country at all. We extend our deepest gratitude, and we hope that you enjoy the night of our famous hospitality. And without further ado, please, have a seat. Dinner will be served shortly!" He stepped off to the side, where a cluster of people surrounded him.

"Our table's this way, I believe," said Jason and she followed him through the crowd. Someone jostled her a little and she bumped into someone else, making the wine slosh in its glass and nearly spill.

"Oh! I'm so sorry," she said. The man just looked at her disdainfully and stepped away.

A firm tap on her shoulder. She whirled around.

A woman stood there, wearing a golden dress, black hair bound up in glitters of gold. She looked vaguely familiar. "Please give a message to Jason for me."

"What?"

"Just tell him I'd like to meet with him afterwards," she said, and disappeared into the crowd.

Jason rushed up beside her. "Sorry—got a bit chaotic there." He grasped her hand.

"That's okay."

"We were going to stick together and here I already lost you."

"Someone just told me something."

"What?"

"She said she wanted to meet with you afterwards."

"Who was it?"

"It looked like that woman you worked with after the bomb at Whit's End. I only saw her once in the hospital. I think it was—Sierra."