PF's Top 5 Overrated Characters

Do you think Matthew is a great character? Absolutely hate Emily? This is the place to discuss AIO characters, from the old to the new!
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

PF's Top 5 Overrated Characters

Controversy time. Like the attention monger I am, it's time for another list by me. Remember how last time I put number one, the big bomb, in a spoiler? As you can see, these are all bombs and need spoilers. Seriously, you people are going to think my opinions are little loopy after this. We might still be on speaking terms, though.

Now, it should be noted that most of these are actually good characters. They're overrated, that doesn't mean they are bad. Just that they're praised to the heavens and may not deserve that much love.

Number 5:
Dr. Blackgaard
I know, I know. Dr Blackgaard is a remarkable villain. He's murderous, he's creepily charming, he has this clever scheme involving so many people. This man has so much rage and yet so much patience. His set his plan in motion years ago and he keeps working and working, weaving together intricate and seemingly unrelated threads for a payoff years away. But frankly, he owes a lotof our love of him to Earl Boen. His voice is terrifying and his silkily evil delivery superb.

Without that, Blackgaard would be far lesser. And he's really just so cliche. Here's the Peanut 329 Unoriginal Villain Checklist:
1. Evil laugh (check)

2. Monologuing (check)

3. Boasting (check)

4. Nooo! (check)

Congratulations! You're a cliche villain. He even strokes the cat. Plus, he's got no backstory, a major flaw in a villain. His motivation? Dull. We never really even find out what it is. Jason assumes it's greed and power. How original. Even when Jason briefly touches on it, it's just a guess. Plainly then, the writers don't care. Why should we? He's a good villain, but I don't think I've ever seen a fan acknowledge how flawed he is. And he is flawed. Decidedly.
Number 4:
Matthew. Again, this is just a case of fans heaping praise on a good character who may just not deserve that much attention. What about Emily? What about Camilla and Olivia? How come they still don't have as much of a fanbase?
Number 3
Lawrence Hodges.At best, Lawrence is fine. Not really one of the greater aio characters, but likable and funny, with a good child actor. At worst, he's mind bogglingly obnoxious, as in Our Father, one of the worst episodes ever. The cliche of kids imagining things, springing the story into a dramatization of the kid's imagination, can get old. Especially if the scenes are tired spoofs and such. Come to that, Lawrence is a cliche stock character not only of AIO but media in general. Always lost in imaginings of cool dramatic scenes starring him. And that's a poor portrayal of imagination. Kids don't necessarily only fantasize about adventures for themselves. Kids often imagine all sorts of cool things quite apart from themselves. One could argue that jumping into scenes starring our main character makes more sense as a device for an episode. Which makes sense. But wouldn't it be cool if a character had an imaginary alternate universe or some such apart from themselves we got to visit from time to time? What would be so bad about that?
Number 2.
Robyn Jacobs.Robyn is okay... but which Robyn personality are we referring to as okay? She's a weirdo in that she's not really hatable in any one episode she's in. What one hates is she's just so different from one episode to the next. Every episode, she has new challenges, new interests. One episode, she really into social climbing and is frustrated because Shannon is pushing her back. Another, it's rock. Another, she's having trouble being organized. And yes, seeing new sides to a character is usually a good thing. But in order for variety to matter, there must first be consistency. Without consistency, there can't be variety. Here's what sums her "character" up. You may know that Better Late than Never is a remake of a hilarious Harley episode. The moral was being on time. Being the one-time-yawn main character was no longer around, they needed a character to step in. A character they could arbitrarily pin an entirely unknown habit of being late onto, have it resolved by the end of the episode, and never be referred to again. Who yuh gonna call? Robyn Jacobs!
And the number one overrated character is.... (I hear Helios is selling pitchforks if you want any.)
Jimmy Barclay. I know, I have no heart and I'm going to Hell, etc. But... well, look at this drawing. Just look at it. ImageThat says pretty much everything I'm about to say. A little boy, grinning, with a baseball cap and baseball in his hand. Heck, he even has the red tennis shoes and striped shirt. Jimmy came along in the 80s, that glorious time of the early mlp generations, Transformers, and other such high-art. It was the age of tv shows that didn't try to hide they were trying to sell toys, they practically had it in the theme song. The toys catered desperately to the genders, so so did the shows. Girls liked this (cutesy ponies doing... pretty much nothing) boys liked that (brainless action shows.) It was all about generalizing what the two genders like to do and how they act. Jimmy is a product of that time. Just looking at that image you can almost hear the aio writers screaming, "This is what boys are like, right!?!?! You relate to this, right!!?!" Yes, Jimmy is all about relatability. He's the writers desperately trying to make a boy who is exactly like you. He plays the video games, he talks about them every other episode he's in, he's annoyed endlessly by his sister, he doesn't like girls, he love sports and adores sports heroes. And you know what? I can't relate to any of that. And Jimmy can be funny, he can very likable and charming. But the writers bank so hard on that relatability. It's rubbed in your face at nearly every opportunity. See, people talk so much about characters being relatable. And yeah, it's important. But characters should be strong whether you relate or not. If a character is really good, it doesn't matter if their struggles conform to yours. Their struggles become yours. You care about them that much. With Jimmy, the writers got that exactly backwards. Jimmy got better as the show went and the writers learned. But the episodes we remember him best for, the earlier ones where he's super young, will always have me puzzled why people love him so much.
And that's my top five overrated characters. Very long. Please talk it up. And while you do, I'll be leaving out the back! Aaaah! Evil twin, think of that poor tree giving up its branch. Do you think it would be happy to know its limb is being used as an instrument of violence?
Last edited by Pound Foolish on Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

Ehhh, I think I disagree with everyone on your list. :P

Now, if we were going for my top 5 overrated characters, it'd be like this:

1. Emily Jones
2. Emily Jones (wait, I can't do it more than once? Fine.)
*2. Richard Maxwell
3. Buck Oliver

...and I can't think of anymore and I'm super tired, so I'll leave it at that.
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

To be honest, I find that the Barclays in general are overrated. :P I mean, they're a more realistic version of the Cleavers and yet most older fans think that they hung the moon.

Also, I can't help but wonder when people have ever talked up Robyn Jacobs like she was something special. The last time I remember anyone talking about her was...well, never. I've only ever heard her name in passing when it comes to fan conversations. -shrugs- My experience isn't yours, of course, but I don't see how Robyn is at all "overrated".

That said, I think my five most overrated characters list (not sure about Top Five, because it's 1:00 in the morning) would be as follows:

1. Jared DeWhite (Ugh, I cannot stand his conspiracy theories. Brandon Gilberstadt is an amazing - and, admittedly, physically attractive - actor, but Jared is a character best used in small doses, and I get kind of tired of people wanting him to come back just so he can spout off something new and wacky.)
2. Richard Maxwell (I'm usually not fond of male characters who have some serious issues and criminal pasts who have hordes of fangirls trying to put themselves in wish fulfillment fanfic relationships with them. At least he has Nathan Carlson going for him.)
3. The Barclay family (for reasons stated)
4. Mitch (and his entire boring love story with Connie, which became a mutant entity unto itself)
5. ...Actually, I can't think of a fifth right offhand. Maybe Rodney, at least as far as the writers were concerned, since he kept getting used in the last few seasons and his character got really tiresome.
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
MnM
Raspberry Ripple

Agree with you PF that they are overrated, but I still love them all! Except Dr. Blackguaard, I didn't really like his character, mostly because it freaked me out, but I like how they brought him back multiple times. :D
HomeschoolCowgirl
Peach Cobbler

Pound Foolish wrote:
Dr. Blackgaard
I know, I know. Dr Blackgaard is a remarkable villain. He's murderous, he's creepily charming, he has this clever scheme involving so many people. This man has so much rage and yet so much patience. His set his plan in motion years ago and he keeps working and working, weaving together intricate and seemingly unrelated threads for a payoff years away. But frankly, he owes a lot of our love of him to Earl Boen. His voice is terrifying and his silkily evil delivery superb.

Without that, Blackgaard would be far lesser. And he's really just so cliche. Here's the Peanut 329 Unoriginal Villain Checklist:
1. Evil laugh (check)

2. Monologuing (check)

3. Boasting (check)

4. Nooo! (check)

Congratulations! You're a cliche villain. He even strokes the cat. Plus, he's got no backstory, a major flaw in a villain. His motivation? Dull. We never really even find out what it is. Jason assumes it's greed and power. How original. Even when Jason briefly touches on it, it's just a guess. Plainly then, the writers don't care. Why should we? He's a good villain, but I don't think I've ever seen a fan acknowledge how flawed he is. And he is flawed. Decidedly.

For some reason this reminded me of the evil villian in Inspector Gadget -- the laugh, the blackness, the kitty cat -- and the voice sounds the same!!

And. The #1 overrated character issssss...
Emily.
"Musical training is a more potent instrument than any other, for rhythm and harmony find their way into the inner places of the soul... making the soul of one who is rightly educated, graceful" -- Socrates
MnM
Raspberry Ripple

Am I, like, the only one who doesn't thing Emily is an any way overrated?
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

I agree with everything except #3 and #1.
Sir Arnold, Knight of the Order of Augustine, Debate Vampire
Mr. Yorp wrote:You don't need a degree to shovel manure.
NinjaThrowingStar
Raspberry Ripple

The only one I disagree with is #5 but I started thing about it and yes it's all the actors voice... it's so... Sexy. (Is that an SS approved word... if not edit it to say Handsome... or :inlove: ;) @Admin)

My top five overrated characters are

#1 Eugene. Sorry I know, I know I'll burn myself at the stake! He is just so Nerd and nothing more.

#2 Penny wise.

#3 Matthew Parker.

#4 Robert E. Mitchell.

#5 The Barclay's.
What is forever..? I shall see you again. Just after the mist has faded and time has stopped, over on the other side. Enjoy your journey and I'll enjoy mine.
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Belle wrote:Ehhh, I think I disagree with everyone on your list.
I agree you disagree with everyone on my list, so we are in agreement. Isn't that lovely?
TigerShadow wrote:To be honest, I find that the Barclays in general are overrated.
Ohmigosh, high five! I've didn't think anybody would agree on that. However, I disagree with everyone else on your list. Oh well. I like your reasons though. As for Robyn, fanse don't mention her much, but when they do, it's fondly. Also, she was in a live show and one of the honored few in Triangled Web, so evidently she gets mail. She's not a super star, but no one seems to think there's anything wrong with her either.
MnM wrote:Agree with you PF that they are overrated, but I still love them all!
That's more or less how I feel.
HomeschoolCowgirl wrote:For some reason this reminded me of the evil villain in Inspector Gadget -- the laugh, the blackness, the kitty cat -- and the voice sounds the same!!
Next time Whit, next time.
ArnoldtheRubberDucky wrote:I agree with everything except #3 and #1.
Splendid, Mister Duck. Thank you for your presence. :P
NinjaThrowingStar wrote: The only one I disagree with is #5 but I started thing about it and yes it's all the actors voice... it's so... Sexy.
You've made me see Earl Boen's voice in a whole new way. That's actually a good word for it. :anxious:
Which is mainly my goal with this list. Help people see things from my point of view concerning these perhaps-too-beloved characters.
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
The Old Judge
Mint Chocolate Chip

NinjaThrowingStar wrote:The only one I disagree with is #5 but I started thing about it and yes it's all the actors voice... it's so... Sexy.
O.o O.o O.o This is one of the most questionable comments I have seen on here in a long time, and the foremost in at least a year. The comment disturbs me so much, I think, because I picture Earl Boen himself, and the physical apparition that is Mister Boen does not match your statement.

The pipes, the pipes are calling.... (1913)
Do you think you know music? Guess the hints at the end of each of my posts in A Musical Journey. (The name's a link. You can click it.)
NinjaThrowingStar
Raspberry Ripple

Mr. Plum Pound Foolish wrote:
NinjaStar wrote: The only one I disagree with is #5 but I started thing about it and yes it's all the actors voice... it's so... Sexy.
You've made me see Earl Boen's voice in a whole new way. That's actually a good word for it. Which is mainly my goal with this list. Help people see things from my point of view concerning these perhaps-too-beloved characters.
^_^ I'm glad I could help you find the light on that one :P He is still a very beloved character in my eyes. *shrug* Even if I only love him for his voice and typical bad boy role! :P
Mr. Old Judging one wrote:
The Star wrote:
The only one I disagree with is #5 but I started thing about it and yes it's all the actors voice... it's so... Sexy.
This is one of the most questionable comments I have seen on here in a long time, and the foremost in at least a year. The comment disturbs me so much, I think, because I picture Earl Boen himself, and the physical apparition that is Mister Boen does not match your statement.

The pipes, the pipes are calling.... (1913)

I can understand that but He really wasn't that bad looking, maybe a bit old but not ugly! Maybe that just makes me a gold digger or grave robber :P I'm sorry to have disturbed you so... But is my statement all that disturbing actually? Just because I find his voice sexy doesn't mean I want to be with him. That would be disturbing... I mean he is older than my grandparents! *shrug* I like his voice... That's all :P (I honestly had no idea what he looked like until about 3 minutes ago :P )
What is forever..? I shall see you again. Just after the mist has faded and time has stopped, over on the other side. Enjoy your journey and I'll enjoy mine.
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

NinjaThrowingStar wrote:I honestly had no idea what he looked like until about 3 minutes ago )
You mean you do not look up to see what your favorite character looks like IRL? O.o
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~
AKA Countess Concordia of the Chat, Regalia, and the Queen of Sarcasm

I am a personal quirk. --Adrian Dreamwalker
Blitz
Moose Tracks

I personally don't think Jimmy is unrelatable. He fits a perfect boy, but he also learns and grows. He is a mixture of various people which is why he is still loved to this day.

I think Jason is over rated. Exactly when has he ever created a good plan?
Debate Vampire

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset
Tarol
Peach Cobbler

Blitz wrote:I personally don't think Jimmy is unrelatable. He fits a perfect boy, but he also learns and grows. He is a mixture of various people which is why he is still loved to this day.
"he fits a perfect boy" ... "he fits a perfect boy" ... You must not understood what PF was trying to say... and say that makes it much worse. Are you saying that a perfect boy has to be like Jimmy? o_0

I also think Buck, Matthew, and Jason are a tad overrated. :P
xo eht haiasi-
Blitz
Moose Tracks

I agree with Buck being over rated. He is not a perfect boy. He just fits the description of an American boy well.
Debate Vampire

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

This was a great topic idea. With some hesitation, I agree with your statements on Dr. Blackgaard. :( It's true that we learn very little about his backstory and motives, and a lot of his actions come across as very arbitrary. He's still my favorite Odyssey villain, but he has some glaring flaws.

I'm really not that familiar with any of the latest albums, so I can't comment much on Matthew. He's not an outstanding character, but he does well enough.

I definitely agree with your choice of Lawrence Hodges. People seem to like that he's "imaginative," but that aspect of him is overdone to the extent that one wonders if he's hallucinating.

I'm not completely sure about Robyn and Jimmy. I do think that the earlier characters tend to jump around more in personality, depending on the theme of the episode and the other characters present (like *cough* Valarie). In the episodes I remember, Robyn was a fairly realistic character that people could relate to, and I look back at those episodes fondly. On the other hand, young Jimmy was a bit obnoxious and came across as the stereotypical younger brother; however, he did improve a lot as he got older.

As for the other characters mentioned, Belle is very astute with her choices, especially with Emily and Buck. Buck isn't a bad character, but I think he gets a lot more attention than necessary.

I absolutely agree with Tiger on Jared and Mitch. Jared became incredibly obnoxious and unbearable after just a few episodes, and I felt like Mitch never really developed as a character because we only ever saw him from Connie's perspective.
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

T.S. (myself) wrote:I absolutely agree with Tiger on Jared and Mitch. Jared became incredibly obnoxious and unbearable after just a few episodes, and I felt like Mitch never really developed as a character because we only ever saw him from Connie's perspective.
Heyoooooo \:D/

To be honest, Jared's humor really came from the reactions of the people around him, like Dwayne, Sarah, and Trent; "The Spy Who Bugged Me", "Best Face Forward" (judging from quotes I've read), and "Eggshells" are good examples. On his own, though, he's really just not that funny, and honestly, attempts to flesh him out later came too little too late as far as I was concerned.

I think Mitch did develop as his own character...it's just that when he did, it was clearly in a direction that was wrong for Connie. And yet to this day some fans are still irrationally upset that Mitch dared to have his own life beyond an overblown, boring romance and chose not to marry Connie.
Pound Foolish wrote:Ohmigosh, high five! I've didn't think anybody would agree on that.
-high fives PF- I grew up with the Barclays too, but they're not like, the Patron Saints of Familial Relations, you know?
Pound Foolish wrote:As for Robyn, fans don't mention her much, but when they do, it's fondly. Also, she was in a live show and one of the honored few in Triangled Web, so evidently she gets mail. She's not a super star, but no one seems to think there's anything wrong with her either.
I dunno, I usually think of overrated characters as fandom darlings who don't deserve the attention they get. To each their own, I suppose.
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love