Album 58: The Ties That Bind Discussion

Grab your AIO albums, and find a table! What makes your favorite episode the best? Have an episode you really dislike? This is the place to review and discuss AIO episodes and albums.
Blitz
Moose Tracks

I agreed with almost everything on the review but I would have to give it a 7/10.
Debate Vampire

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

Yeah, that's almost how I'm starting to feel to. Perhaps we'll compromise and I'll give it a 6/10. ;)
Sir Arnold, Knight of the Order of Augustine, Debate Vampire
Mr. Yorp wrote:You don't need a degree to shovel manure.
Emma
Peach Cobbler

I'd give it a 8/10.
Novatom
Raspberry Ripple

I give it 8/10 too.
Last edited by Novatom on Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
17:39<Novatom>: I'm in another boat. A boat of people who don't know what everyone's talking about. A boat that is sinking.
17:40<Sameriazx>: oh no... here we go again...
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

How could you, Novatom/Sameriazx? :(

But really, it's a flawed album. No one can deny that, even if you give it an 8/10. No way does it deserve a perfect score. I hope the AIO community doesn't immediately praise the finished product just because it's supposed to be an epic project.
Bren
Cookie Dough
Cookie Dough

There's still a week to submit your questions for my Paul McCusker interview, You can e-mail them to info@thewepodcast.com.
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Oki doki loki, Bren. Though what that has to do with anything...

Mr. Thinker, I just don't agree with ANY of your flaws. You had a couple good points here and there, but like Audrey, most of your reasons hold no wod fam choc sod. "Jay's story-line was pointless" "Whit fainting was out of nowhere and pointless" etc. I loved the review, it's just it was all wrong. ;)
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
Novatom
Raspberry Ripple

Jay's story line was pointless, though! It went nowhere! Same with Whit fainting, that was just melodramatic.
Last edited by Novatom on Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
17:39<Novatom>: I'm in another boat. A boat of people who don't know what everyone's talking about. A boat that is sinking.
17:40<Sameriazx>: oh no... here we go again...
Rosy
Cookie Dough

Jay's story felt like just an excuse to throw in Jay and Harlow for some funny lines. It was amusing, but not really vital.
I also feel that Whit fainting really should've been left out. He still could've visited the hospital without being treated there himself, and the topic really wasn't addressed again.
Out of all the storylines, I will admit I liked Wooton's the best. I really couldn't bring myself to be that concerned about Jules and Connie, as it was incredibly obvious that Jules was up to no good and predictable that she'd start to have second thoughts, then get caught, etc.
I enjoyed hearing about Comic-Con and all the references, and it was nice to hear more from Buck, but overall it's not one of my favorite albums. I'd give it about a 6 3/4 out of ten.
꿈. 희망. 전진.
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

Pound Foolish wrote:Oki doki loki, Bren. Though what that has to do with anything...

Mr. Thinker, I just don't agree with ANY of your flaws. You had a couple good points here and there, but like Audrey, most of your reasons hold no wod fam choc sod. "Jay's story-line was pointless" "Whit fainting was out of nowhere and pointless" etc. I loved the review, it's just it was all wrong. ;)
Hmm... upon further reflection regarding the comment you made about Hugo Wells, I would actually agree with you. I guess I never really thought of him as a "Red Herring" for some reason, but now that you pointed it out to me, I think he makes a good "Red Herring". Would I have permission to add your thoughts to the positive section of the review? :D

However, I just scrolled through the review again, and I have to say that I still agree with most of my points. Jay's storyline might have showed an alternative to what Wooton was trying to do with his comic book, but if I recall correctly, I believe Dee Grant effectively did the same thing in a short speech explaining why Wooton's comic idea wouldn't fly in modern entertainment. Jay's storyline is almost unarguably filler, and it distracted me from the rest of the story in the few scenes that it was spotlighted in. Actually, Whit fainting might not have been so bad, especially since it gave him a chance to meet Mrs. Adelaide's brother. Still, it was clearly an only semi-succesful attempt to make the storyline more exciting. Perhaps you should address each of the points I made in the review so that I can see exactly what you mean. You'll probably convince me to completely change my rating with your arguments anyway. :)

P.S. I changed my rating to a 6/10, just for you. =P
SirWhit
Banana Fudge

Pound Foolish wrote:Oki doki loki, Bren. Though what that has to do with anything...

Go away, evil twin.

1) It was pointless. Why wasn't it pointless?

2) It still was pointless.
Blitz
Moose Tracks

Whit's faint was one purpose really.
Debate Vampire

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Hrm. I suppose you're right, Rosy.

Ha ha ha! Sorry, Mr. Whit's End. We unwanted relatives pop up a lot. You're right: it was pointless. That was the point.
The storyline with Hugo Wells and his ghost town that Emily and Jay and co. investigated was, like Mr. Thinker recalled that I said, a red herring. Red herrings are supposed to be pointless. They're smoke and lights, they seem to be relevant and aren't. They're a perfectly common and useful trick.

I also said the storyline providing contrast to Wooton's storyline and adding gravity to his decision, what with the all too typical TV show. And it's true and very sad, it's hardly even news anymore when a family show brings in a gay couple. Gays are all over mainstream channels now. But I will have to give what Mr. Thinking Ducky said about that some thought. Perhaps what's-her-name's explanation to Wooton about what his new comic should be like was enough. But still, I'd say it's one of the part's that handled the whole gay theme most bluntly in an effective way.
If you want to use what I said, Mr. Thinker Duck, do please feel free. And thank you for making it six. :)
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
Mr. Yorp
Cookies & Creme

Album 58 has convinced me of TEOAIOAWNI Image

I give it a 1/10

ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

Well, my dear Yorp, I wouldn't go THAT far, but it's still nice to see someone agreeing with me, even if they're taking a somewhat radical stance. I'll call myself "A 58-er" (Get it? Like hate and eight and... well, never mind. :() and you are a "58-er Extremist". :)
truAIOfan
Cookies & Creme

I would have to give it a 8/10, too. Out of the albums 50-58, this was a pretty good one, possibly my favorite of the eight.
What I don't get is, the whole thing with Hugo Wells buying all the antiques. We never hear about what happened to them! We hear about Jay, Mathew, Emily, and Harlow visiting the ghost town, all the buildings are locked and there is nothing heard about the antiques being used. That is why everyone even got interested in the Hollow in the first place!
I don't think the part where Whit collapsed was pointless, especially in the last album where Jason is all worried about his Dad in Life Expectancy.
Dee Grant being the "Pen" was kind of expected, also Jules being her informant. Wooton proposing to Penny wasn't, that was a surprise!
“Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God.” -Corrie Ten Boom
The Old Judge
Mint Chocolate Chip

This was my favorite album from the relaunch. 9/10, with the only detraction being the television set scenes. Action-packed, probing, it reminded me of Odyssey's former years when controversial topics would be hit head on, such as Emotional Baggage and Greater Love.
Do you think you know music? Guess the hints at the end of each of my posts in A Musical Journey. (The name's a link. You can click it.)
Emma
Peach Cobbler

I don't understand you! I agree with none of the complaints, and for that I'll raise my my rating to 9/10. You might argue that it is wrong, but no. ;)
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

While listening to The Ties That Bind on vacation, I came up with some fan titles.

Part 1 - The Key To Families
Part 2 - Distant Relations
Part 3 - Loosing Sight of the Point
Part 4 - A Home Halfway
Part 5 - The Vigilantors
Part 6 - A Train Set
Part 7 - Place of Peril
Part 8 - Tensions Rise
Part 9 - A Ghost Town
Part 10 - Difficult Dealings
Part 11 - Casting Suspicions
Part 12 - A Conspiracy of Ideas
Part 13 - Start a Blaze
Part 14 - The Revealing

What do you guys think?
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~
aragtaghooligan
Fudge Marble

I like it! That is so helpful! Thanks Belle!