The Sandwich Initiative

Grab your AIO albums, and find a table! What makes your favorite episode the best? Have an episode you really dislike? This is the place to review and discuss AIO episodes and albums.

Your rating for The Sandwich Initiative?

5 Rotten Sandwiches
30%
4 Mayonnaise packets
20%
3 Parker Siblings
30%
2 torn down parks
No votes
1 voice change
20%

Total votes: 10

Shadow
Peach Cobbler

The Sandwich Initiative

I like this episode. Although David's new actor sounds nothing like Marc Evan Jackson. I liked it though. And Matthew voice change sounded great, i hope they keep Justin Felbinger at this point. So I would give it 3 out of 5 sandwiches.
Last edited by Shadow on Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm Monty Whittaker's greatest fan. member of the K.R.E
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Bob
Caramel Crunch

It's an okay, average episode, overshadowed by the rather obvious voice changes, especially David Parker's.

He sounds kinda like Marc Evan Jackson, but not enough to overcome the 'weird' factor of having a character who you've gotten familiar with change in such an obvious way. What makes it worse is that he's also written differently in this episode from how he's been in the past, so it seems like a completely different character dropped into the same role, a very awkward situation.

Matthew's voice change has been taking shape for a while, so it isn't exactly brand new to this episode, but at this point it is very obvious. It isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it is something to get used to. At this point, I think they should either stick with the current actor, voice change and all, and age the character, or retire Matthew. It was strange enough after Zach Callison was obviously older in the first OAC season, and then got replaced with Gunnar Sizemore, but at this point his voice flipping back yet again would be... well, just no. What compounds the trouble in this episode is that the new kid character happens to sound very much like Matthew used to -- in fact, more than Matthew himself does at this point.

Camilla's 'new' voice sounded good in its debut a while back, but it's interesting to see how it sounds next to Olivia's now. It's true it isn't the result of a natural 'growing' change, but it reinforces the idea that they're getting older. The AIO team needs to be careful, though, to keep their voices more clearly distinguished. At some points it can be a little hard to tell in this episode if it's Olivia or Camilla. It's easy when they're apart, but when they're together there can sometimes be enough similarity to be confusing. I don't think they should change actresses yet again since I'm happy with both of the ladies they have in the roles, but it's a consideration to work out.

I rated it a 3.
A classic never goes out of style.
Shadow
Peach Cobbler

Yeah David is really out of character and the voice change is very obvious. Why did they change David's voice anyway? It's not like his voice actor's voice changed, so why did they change the voice actor? And Camilla's new voice debut was in the first club episode this year, "Rewinding the Big Picture".
Bob
Caramel Crunch

On the debut, yeah, I know; I edited the post to make it more clear that I was referring to the debut in the past, not in this episode.

I think most likely Marc Evan Jackson just became unavailable, maybe permanently. The voice change is unfortunate since it isn't a very close match (although if you "squint" your ears ;) , you can kind of hear it), but in this case the writing makes him sound even less similar and creates a first impression that will be hard to shake. I think it would have been better to simply retire or at least put the character on hiatus, while leaving open the possibility he could come back if the voice actor was available again.
Shadow
Peach Cobbler

Yeah, because Eddie Frierson's version of the character is like Gunnar's version of Matthew compared to Zach's; they feel completely different, like they are a different character entirely.
aioduck29
Vanilla

I usually get used to characters voice changes, but David’s was hard to shake. I got confused in the beginning who was even talking. I feel like Marc Evan Jackson had that gentle but manly voice that everyone fell in love with. Eddie Frierson reminded me of Nigel Odian in “Three in One”. I know I’ll get used to it but I hate vice changes!
Kungfunaomi
Cookies & Creme

My sister is nine. She's wanted to do a video review of Odyssey for a long time. I told her we can as long as people can't see our faces. So, we are now the Odyssey Orcs, and this is our live reaction/review of The Sandwich Initiative:
GJFH
Peanut Butter Cup

Kungfunaomi wrote:My sister is nine. She's wanted to do a video review of Odyssey for a long time. I told her we can as long as people can't see our faces. So, we are now the Odyssey Orcs, and this is our live reaction/review of The Sandwich Initiative:
Bahaha, this is so great! :lol:
I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us - Romans 8:18

It’s not enough to be against something. You have to be for something better. – Tony Stark
Katie10
Raspberry Ripple

This episode was really bad. The new voices were so bad the new David is pretty bad and sounds so not real. It was a completely useless episode. Kinda hard to keep up with sometimes and some of the things they put in is so pointless. Really bad episode. It was just one sandwich really! No point to this episode and no ANYTHING!

(I so agree with you Kungfunaomi and awesome video i loved it!)
aioduck29
Vanilla

Does anyone else think Camilla kind of sounds like Kelly?
Katie10
Raspberry Ripple

aioduck29 wrote:Does anyone else think Camilla kind of sounds like Kelly?
Kinda i think she might be?
PennyBassett
Fudge Marble

Yeah so this one's hard pin down. I've always loved Mark Evan Jackson as David so it's honestly really sad to hear him played by someone new, who sounds nothing like David. He actually sounds like Jason. Like- exactly like Jason. So he doesn't have a bad voice, he's a good actor, just not as David. I really like Matthew. Camilla and Matthew are super hard to tell apart though. And their lower voices against Olivia's higher voice sounds very strange. They honestly just don't feel like the Parkers anymore. I think I like Wyatt. His actor could've had more energy though. As far as the Parkers growing up, if that's what they're doing (which I hope it is) they need to give them more mature morals and storylines. It was kind of a useless episode. No one was fangirling, and we got limited character and storyline development. But it wasn't a bad episode. It had a decent plot and there weren't any big mistakes. I didn't like it but I gave it a 4 out of 5.
"Let me get this straight. I bet all those non-friends of yours try to embarrass you about your love for that stuff, right? So, you almost feel like you have to hide your treasures away and can only take them out in secret on rainy days when your mom goes to the store to get more liver and nobody is around to berate your sensitive spirit. Is that what you’re saying?" -Jay Smouse
aioduck29
Vanilla

Nathan Hoobler said Marc Evan Jackson jut didn’t want to be on the show anymore so they had to replace him. While they’re sad they have no choice
Bob
Caramel Crunch

Kungfunaomi wrote:My sister is nine. She's wanted to do a video review of Odyssey for a long time. I told her we can as long as people can't see our faces. So, we are now the Odyssey Orcs, and this is our live reaction/review of The Sandwich Initiative:
I listened to the section with the 'mistake' a bit. I'm pretty sure that it actually *is* Camilla, and then Olivia, in that order, so Justin and/or the scriptwriter didn't get it wrong... it's just hard to tell because their voices sound very similar at those points in time. If you listen to it a few times (it took me a few), though, there is a difference that can be distinguished. I do have to say I didn't hear the Camilla/Matthew thing Penny mentioned, though, except maybe for a little bit during the 'park' scene.
Kungfunaomi
Cookies & Creme

Bob wrote:I listened to the section with the 'mistake' a bit. I'm pretty sure that it actually *is* Camilla, and then Olivia, in that order, so Justin and/or the scriptwriter didn't get it wrong... it's just hard to tell because their voices sound very similar at those points in time. If you listen to it a few times (it took me a few), though, there is a difference that can be distinguished.
I can say upon a third listen that I still can't hear it, but I do believe you. Will have to find my good headphones and listen carefully.
Mr. Clever
Cookies & Creme

NAOMI! I feel like we have both been going through the SS but have interacted! XD
“We all change. When you think about it, we’re all different people, all through our lives. And that’s okay, that’s good, you gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be. I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I swear. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.” - Matt Smith
Kungfunaomi
Cookies & Creme

TheDoctor wrote:NAOMI! I feel like we have both been going through the SS but have interacted! XD
Hehe so should we start arguing about The Secret of the Writer's Ruse again?
aioduck29
Vanilla

I would have happily traded Charlotte for the Sandwich Initiative. I would have even suggest a whole different Parker story instead of this. Its not terrible it was just a missed opportunity to give a new look at David Parker for his new actor. He was different, but not a good different.
Kungfunaomi
Cookies & Creme

aioduck29 wrote:I would have happily traded Charlotte for the Sandwich Initiative.
Happily. Very much so. AIOC's episodes feel like experiments most of the time, and the Sandwich Initiative definitely felt like one of them. Charlotte is quality stuff that belongs in an album where the fans can hear it. I feel like I'm aggravated with AIO a lot, but this is definitely another moment where it annoys the snot outta me. There was no reason for Charlotte to be in the AIOC. There was no ministry partner for the episode.
Bob
Caramel Crunch

Like it or not, Renee is considered a "AIOC-only" character, so that is considered sufficient reason by the producers to keep it an exclusive.

That said, I think the AIOC format, more than anything, is the source of the problem that y'all have here. Think about it: if they keep all of the really 'big' stuff or great episodes in the albums alone, people say that the AIOC is fluff and mediocrity and there's no reason to subscribe to it. And if they put some stuff in that isn't strictly necessary to know, but is tantalizing, like in Charlotte, people say it should have been in a regular album and that x regular episode isn't as good. Either way they can't win. But they need money, and like it or not, the AIOC is a fantastic way to raise revenue and support both FoTF and AIO. I've spent more money over the past few years for OAC/AIOC than my entire family has on AIO in all of my life before that. When you have a radio/internet program, people record episodes on their own, or wait increasing amounts of time for it to loop back around to the show they wanted, and the last time they bought an album (supporting the show) was in 1997 when "Signed, Sealed and Committed" was brand new. When you have exclusives, people pay $10 a month. For anyone with a bottom line, there's no competition.