Best Thanksgiving Episodes

Grab your AIO albums, and find a table! What makes your favorite episode the best? Have an episode you really dislike? This is the place to review and discuss AIO episodes and albums.
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Best Thanksgiving Episodes

Much as I love Thank You God, (I first accepted Jesus into my heart with that episode. Anyone else have that experience?) it sadly can't be used as the Golden Standard for AIO Thanksigivings. For one things, there's the problem of the character Rodney. This is something of an inevitable AIO incongruity with the Odyssey that later came to be, there can only ever be one Rodney in the Odyssey universe. (And that Rodney doesn't sound mysteriously like Monty and Digger.) Then there's the non-ill Agnes. It may seem wrong to say this, but one might easily prefer this episode if Agnes were ill. In a sense, it's a treasure to see this clearheaded Agnes. On the other hand, we know nothing about her. (Are there any other episodes like this where we see her in her right mind outside of Nova Com?) It's not this Agnes, but the Agnes who thinks Mrs. Shanks is her Mother we all know and love.

The biggest problem though is this: most of the story has nothing to do with Thanksgiving!

It's a peek into Whit's past. Which is always lovely, but couldn't the flashbacks have occurred during Thanksgiving? Wouldn't that have tied Whit's past in more directly with the holiday? Instead, it's all rather random. The only connection to Thanksgiving in the blashbacks is that they are about being content, which is indeed the point, but where is the festivity?
Now for all this, it does have some enjoyable jokes, the story about Whit's stepmother is movingly beautiful, and the scenes with the AIO gang of the time enjoying Thanksgiving are delightful. It is a very lovely and well done classic, but while this episode will always be special, it is sadly just not the go-to Thanksgiving episode.

I prefer the energy, charm and wit of a Thankstaking story. We get to see Connie freaking, Eugene playing his ukelele, Whit narrating, and Jay and Wooton being amusing. Wally Haggler is enjoyable, and Harlo makes a surprise appearance. And at least this time, everything is centered on celebrating Thanksgiving. Plus, who can resist the Odyssey characters spoofing other kiddy holiday shorts? Jay as Burgomaster from Santa Is Coming to Town, Wooton as Winter from The Year Without Santa Clause, the Abominable Turkey (a spoof perhaps on the Abominable Snowman from Rudolph) the "Great Bumpkin" ("He'll be here. Just wait, you'll see!") and of course, the entire thing is a spoof on Seuss. It's so irresistible.

So this is the episode me and my siblings anticipate every thanksgiving as much as pie.
I haven't heard all the Thanksgiving episodes, so these will be the only two I'll list. Which means it's your turn to... put on a turkey outfit and dance the fandango!
Er, I mean, talk it up.
Last edited by Pound Foolish on Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
Ameraka
Fudge Marble

Before I read your paragraph about A Thankstaking Story, that was the one that came to mind for me. Like you said, Thank You God is about being content, but A Thankstaking Story is more festive. I love the parodies. Btw It's been a while since I heard Thank you God; I didn't remember that it wasnt on Thansgiving....

My book, Justice Lost, is on Amazon Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JM1XFCI
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Just listened to A Thanksgiving Carol. It was fun, flagrantly corny of course, but fun. If they could have squeezed the other ghosts in, I'd say Mandy would be a good Ghost of Christmas Present and a Christmas Future ghost could probably be played by... how about Rodney? "Yous is one bad boy, Stooge. Yous better change your ways."
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
NateVONgreat
Cookies & Creme

I think the best one is the BTV: Thanks, wooton's poem is so funny! XD "oh thanksgiving day at last, when we mere mortals break our fast...." my sister and I used to know the whole thing by heart, but it has been so long since i have heard it, I have forgotten most of it :(.

Sandwiches are wonderful
Sandwiches are fine!
I like sandwiches, I eat them all the time!
Shadow
Peach Cobbler

Pound Foolish wrote:(Are there any other episodes like this where we see her in her right mind outside of Nova Com?)
Um... well Tom mentions Agnes is at his house in "The Case of the Missing Train Car", if it counts.
I'm Monty Whittaker's greatest fan. member of the K.R.E
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Jo March
Raspberry Ripple

I really like Thanksgiving at home. It is HILARIOUS! And, I must that I think I could cook the dinner a little bit better than they did. :lol: LOL!
Jo March
"There is no such thing as impossible. The word itself says I'm possible."-Audrey Hepburn
“You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” –C.S. Lewis
“No one ever made a difference by being like everyone else.” P.T. Barnum
Didi
Cookies & Creme

I love A Thankstaking Story so much, I listen to it when it's not even close to Thanksgiving.
"I was born with white vans on"
"Vans weren't even popular when you were born"
K.R.E.
truAIOfan
Cookies & Creme

I love a Thankstaking Story! My favorite part is where the Abominable Turkey says, "Light the lamp not the Turkey! Light the lamp not the Turkey!" :D
“Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God.” -Corrie Ten Boom
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

Seriously? That's a Muppet Christmas Carol reference! \:D/ I've never heard the episode and the Muppet Christmas Carol is my favorite version of that story, so now I might have to go out and listen to this one. ^_^
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
Shadow
Peach Cobbler

Yeah A Thankstaking Story is one of only 2 positives in cause and effect the other being The Owlnapping.
I'm Monty Whittaker's greatest fan. member of the K.R.E
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: