All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: To Spoil Yourself or Not to Spoil
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:07 am 
Coffee Biscotti

Take your choice, adventurous stranger
Click the spoiler, and bide the danger
Or wonder till it drives you mad
What would have happened if you had

Another album is coming and, as usual, I have steeled myself against all spoilery... ah, but will it last? So far I've avoided reading the album summary. But any time I may come upon it again in a podcast, or the aio wiki, and then. Ah yes, then.

Do you try to avoid spoilers? And when you do, are you generally successful? When trying to avoid spoilers, do you ever skim conversations on the album just the same, and trust to your spoiler avoidance instinct? If you are one of those who adore spoilers, please do explain for us non spoiler people. Your behavior is a great mystery to us.

Let's talk it up! Oh, it always feels so good to say that.

“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury

Last edited by Pound Foolish on Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: To Spoil Yourself or Not to Spoil
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:03 am 
Peach Cobbler

Beautiful use of The Magician's Nephew quote!!

I avoid spoilers to future episodes like the plague. Though it's quite fun to read the "new, exciting" spoilers of past episodes/albums.

"Musical training is a more potent instrument than any other, for rhythm and harmony find their way into the inner places of the soul... making the soul of one who is rightly educated, graceful" -- Socrates

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:46 pm 
Mint Chocolate Chip

I recognized that quote, too, PF. The bell in Charn's Hall of Statues that awakens Jadis. Bravo on your creativity. :clap:

I look at spoilers. Yes, I'm a terrible person, I know. My reasoning (which was actually affirmed fr me by an Audio Theatre Central article several years ago) is that if the story is well-crafted enough, the impact of the content contained in the spoiler will be just as meaningful whether or not you know beforehand. On a personal level, I am very forgetful, and won't remember that I had the heads-up until after said scene is over.

A Christmas carol, written in an archaic style. This is partially because the tune dates back to the late sixteenth century. (1924)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:40 pm 
Banana Fudge

I do kind of like spoilers. But only in small doses, and nothing plot-essential.

One time, I accidentally looked up Doctor Who before I watched the season finale and a huuuuuge reveal never again.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:08 pm 
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

I enjoy spoiling myself about AIO, but other things, not so much. I like teasers, and I like trailers, but I also like not knowing major plot points.

My suitemate hates spoilers or teasers or trailers of any kind, so I have to be really careful not to spoil any of her shows (or potential shows), because she likes to experience them for herself.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:10 pm 
Moose Tracks

Hmm, I like to spoil, a lot. I do it with books more so than Odyssey though. I'm not keeping up with Odyssey any way. I do like to read the spoilers on here.

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:53 pm 
Coffee Biscotti

Belle wrote:
I enjoy spoiling myself about AIO, but other things, not so much. I like teasers, and I like trailers, but I also like not knowing major plot points.

Same here. When they have teasers on Whit's End, I don't usually skip them. They don't tend to give away much, they just tantalize you.

As for movies, it depends. If I'm not sure I want to see it, I'll maybe watch a trailer or two. With Inside Out, I just saw the first teaser and was like, "Okay, this is going to be Pixar hitting it out of the park. I'm good." And I'm glad I did so I experienced the lava, Joy and Sadness getting sucked into the memory tube, and what not during the film.

“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:14 pm 
Cookies & Creme

I tend to not listen to AIO as much anymore *hides* but I do want to know what's going on, so I read spoilers like nobody's business. Saves me some time and $$. xD Even though I still want to hear the album, I swear!

An owl and a squirrel are sitting in a tree, watching a farmer go by. The owl turns to the squirrel and says nothing, because owls can't talk. The owl then eats the squirrel because it is a bird of prey.

If you're interested in this kinda stuff I take a lot of photos!Instagram

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:46 pm 
Mocha Jamocha

Firstly: I do love the poem at the beginning. Excellent use of literary reference.

Secondly: ...yeah, I admit it, I spoil myself a lot. Not on things that I'm really looking forward to (such as the new Gravity Falls, which I always wait to find out about until after the episode goes up on iTunes), but if I'm not interested enough in it to buy it and find out for myself but still want to know what happens, I find the spoilers online. I suppose that it comes down to how invested I am in the story. So with these last few albums, I haven't really been too invested in Penny and Wooton's love story, so I'm okay with spoiling myself on what happens.

road work ahead? uh, yeah, i sure hope it does

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:52 pm 
Moose Tracks

Audrey wrote:
I tend to not listen to AIO as much anymore *hides* but I do want to know what's going on, so I read spoilers like nobody's business. Saves me some time and $$. xD Even though I still want to hear the album, I swear!

I second this...

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:21 am 
Raspberry Ripple

I don't like when I see a spoiler, because it is so hard to resist the temptation of looking at it. It drives me mad and I read them every time.

17:39<Novatom>: I'm in another boat. A boat of people who don't know what everyone's talking about. A boat that is sinking.
17:40<Sameriazx>: oh no... here we go again...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:28 pm 
Banana Fudge

Haha agreed!

@Audrey Yeah, I'm like that a lot too. Except with movies and stuff that people keep talking about, I just look them up on wikipedia to see what the heck they're on about :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:09 pm 
Mint Chocolate Chip

Does this situation bother anyone else?

You're scrolling through a topic. It's about the new Odyssey album or some crazy thing that happened therein. Your eyes grow big and you get chills as you read these exciting plot points. Then you get to some twelve-year-old's post that goes something like this:

Random Twelve Year Old wrote:
OH MY WORD GUYS! i just could not believe whats happening. I mean are you serious. And then when Wooten got down on one knee and proposed....

Let's take a minute. Already there are several main problems. Allow me to show you what is a problem to us moderators:

1). An all-caps sentence. :?
2). Lack of all punctuation whatsoever. :mad:
3). The immature sound of the sentences. Now, to any twelve year olds on here that are about to cry, this is not so much an insult. It will come with time and experience in putting your thoughts down on paper. But you must remember: Your posts are to contribute to the conversation. Every single sentence or fragment in that quoted post was disjointed and did not contribute to the overall conversation.

Then we get to the spoiler. I don't know about the rest of you, but I've already lost almost all respect for Random Twelve Year Old at this point. You never know, though. There could be a diamond in the rough of information on the new album. I click on it, and this is what I see:

Random Twelve Year Old wrote:
he asked Penny to marry him.

Does this bother anyone else on here, or am I the only one that's noticed it? I would like your opinions.

Gene Kelly, 1952. (1929)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:31 pm 
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Amen. I agree completely. This is annoying, and I have noticed it.

However, I think there are some things to consider. I was 12 once upon a time. This would be a worse case scenario if this person was 16. And you really can't make that person post something worth reading overnight. So maybe we should lean toward the side of encouraging better posting habits, instead of a full out rebuke which can be damaging especially to the sensitive. They want to engage in the discussions just like anyone else, and hopefully in time, they will improve. So #mercy

Also, I use bold caps sometimes. Is any allowed? I thought it was a post with all bold caps that is forbidden. :?

I am a personal quirk. --Adrian Dreamwalker

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:55 pm 
Mocha Jamocha

Miss Friendship wrote:
Also, I use bold caps sometimes. Is any allowed? I thought it was a post with all bold caps that is forbidden. :?

No, a post that uses caps lock is not, in and of itself, against the rules. Here is what the Soda Shop Rules and Guidelines has to say on the matter:

Quote:
Abusing the caps lock
WHEN YOU TALK LIKE THIS YOU LOOK LIKE YOU'RE YELLING AND IT ISN'T VERY FRIENDLY AND IS INSTEAD SPAMMY. So please keep writing in all caps to a minimum.

Writing in all caps is not categorically condemned; it's if you do so throughout an entire post and have nothing worthwhile to say that it's considered a problem. Posting one sentence in all caps because you're excited and then elaborating in normal case font is fine; aggressively smashing keys and writing an entire post in all capital letters that otherwise has little to no worthwhile content is not.

road work ahead? uh, yeah, i sure hope it does

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:10 pm 
Mint Chocolate Chip

Actually, Miss Friendship, if you take a gander at our illustrious Soda Shop Rules and Guidelines, written by the Founder, Mr. Isom himself, you will find this subsection:

Jacob Isom wrote:
Abusing the caps lock
WHEN YOU TALK LIKE THIS YOU LOOK LIKE YOU'RE YELLING AND IT ISN'T VERY FRIENDLY AND IS INSTEAD SPAMMY. So please keep writing in all caps to a minimum.

Now, we typically let one-time offenses slide. However, we have had users that have constantly done it, and it gets old rather hurriedly.

Secondly, I did not write this for the purpose of damaging the feelings of "sensitive" people. I am quite careful of what I say (one reason you will not see me in debates), and this was meant to provide a little bit of humor among the veteran members of the board in reference to the discussion on spoilers.

The moderators' job is not to play grammar teacher, nor to infringe upon the First Amendment rights of the members. We welcome everyone of all ages on to the Soda Shop; and you may say whatever you want, however you want (so long as it does not violate any previous rules). However, this particular instance not only breaks rules but diminishes the chance of fostering mature conversation. This is not to offend, this is an iteration of rules. If you took this wrong, Miss Friendship, I apologize.

A blues song referencing one who shaves the hide off of a donkey. (1930)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:46 am 
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

The Old Judge wrote:
If you took this wrong, Miss Friendship, I apologize

I don't think I did. :P In fact, your post did make me laugh, but I realized you had a valid point which was why I commented. I completely agreed with what you said, and was just making sure there was a right attitude toward the youngers. And your post did not come across to me as insensitive in any way.

I am a personal quirk. --Adrian Dreamwalker

Offline Profile