OAC Episode Discussion

Your membership into the Adventures in Odyssey Club grants you a special key! Here is the place to discuss all of the club exclusive episodes.
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

From what the OAC has been giving, I really enjoyed Take it on Trust. But yeah, I have to agree with Tiger that Olivia and Zoe sounded too similar.

Jay having a crush on a girl was a new twist that I hadn't heard before though. :P
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~
AKA Countess Concordia of the Chat, Regalia, and the Queen of Sarcasm

I am a personal quirk. --Adrian Dreamwalker
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

Actually, I was kind of anticipating that he'd have a crush on Olivia, not Zoe; I feel like that would have been funnier. It was both hilarious and cringe-worthy as it was, though; I sort of imagined some of the older Odyssey guys coming along and swatting Jay on the back of the head for his sheer idiocy. :lol:
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
Tarol
Peach Cobbler

Diary of Mr. Whittaker:
Was anyone else totally confused as to why Fiana's blindness wasn't mention? If I remember right, didn't she become blind before Whit was a Christian? He's definitely got his Holier-Than-Thou going on in this episode, so that must also mean she's blind already... And it's never mentioned... *blinks*
xo eht haiasi-
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

When you're blind, Ox, you eventually proceed with normal life, more or less unhindered. One thing that bothers me about Jenny Mulligan is they remind us about every episode she's in she's blind and oh isn't that precious. Perhaps for they should have mentioned it for the sake of ImageStill, she's blind, we already know she's blind, it's an established fact like how skinny Eugene is and Matthew's glasses. It's a fact of their physicality and no doubt it's relevant to their life sometimes but once we know it we know it they don't need to remind us.
Last edited by Pound Foolish on Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

Pound Foolish wrote:Matthew's glasses
Wait, since when does Matthew wear glasses? Did I miss that? You'd think I'd remember these things, given how I latch on to these kinds of details. =/

While I am in agreement that we don't constantly need reminders about characters' physicality, it is worth noting that Fiona is hardly a recurring character—she only appears in four episodes (not counting this one), one of which is a clip show. She is hardly on the same level as Eugene in terms of characters whose physical traits we remember immediately. It would make sense for her blindness to be referenced in an episode about Whit's life, since it was her story that made such an impact on him as to lead him to become a Christian (which, in terms of continuity, was last mentioned around 600 episodes ago).
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Also blindness is an important detail that helps us understand the character. And not all AIO fans are going to hear all the episodes, and if so, might not remember. An episode should be able to stand alone as a good story without the need for any extra listening. (Not counting two parters and sagas of course)
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~

Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

TigerShadow wrote:Wait, since when does Matthew wear glasses?
Ah, since never. Sorry. Eugene does, Nelson does, I think Trent does. I managed to hit on the one aio geek without glasses.
TigerShadow wrote: She is hardly on the same level as Eugene in terms of characters whose physical traits we remember immediately.
*sigh* I'm terrible with examples if you can't tell. Well, I really can't come up with anything. We really don't know many details about the physicality of side characters just in general.
Miss Friendship wrote:Also blindness is an important detail that helps us understand the character.
Oh? How so? What did she do that would make more sense if they mentioned or what aspect of her personality would be deepened? What does blindness tell us about her? I'm not saying mentioning her blindness would've been pointless but it doesn't seem that integral to her personality either.
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
Tarol
Peach Cobbler

What MF and Tiger said...
PF wrote:Oh? How so? What did she do that would make more sense if they mentioned or what aspect of her personality would be deepened? What does blindness tell us about her? I'm not saying mentioning her blindness would've been pointless but it doesn't seem that integral to her personality either.
Being blind can change a person in many ways... I mean, we see in many AIO episodes with blind people, that they are more in tune with sounds and there surroundings a little, which, I would think, would change one's personality, or at least "look on life."

But, also, there were several times where I wondered if AIO even remembered Fiona was blind. There was a dancing scene; which, I'm sure is fine for a comfortable-blind person, but it sounds like she's dancing wildly and impressively and is able to pull Whit in and teach him, etc. Okay, maybe I just emphasize my own eyes too much, but these sound like somewhat difficult tasks for a blind person.

*shrugs*
xo eht haiasi-
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

Pound Foolish wrote:I think Trent does.
you think

i know

this was a piece of information that i will retain to my dying day because think of the fluffy adorable possibilities i know trivia like this better than i know anything i learned in like six years of middle and high school math

-clears throat awkwardly-

Vis-a-vis blindness adding to her character, it does add something in the sense that it's an integral part of her demonstrations of faith that she shows to her step-son, which in turn helps to lead him to Jesus. A disability can help to flesh out and develop a character while also educating the audience on what it's like to live with a disability. A disability is never something that's easy to live with, and as such it's a way to introduce hardships for a character to have to surmount—or, if the character is relatively minor in comparison to someone else, it can help to further that other character's story (see the above, and also Monica Stone's entire motivation in the Novacom saga). It's kind of clumsy and has unfortunate implications if you use disability to further a non-disabled character's story, but it has its roles in character development...if, of course, you handle it with grace and avoid shoving it down the audience's throat (which seems to be your quibble with Jenny's blindness, PF).
Ashley
Raspberry Ripple

I don't have OAC, but I was wondering what happened to Jeff Lewis. Did he leave on a mission trip or something that they didn't explain in the regular episodes?
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

TigerShadow wrote: Vis-a-vis blindness adding to her character, it does add something in the sense that it's an integral part of her demonstrations of faith that she shows to her step-son, which in turn helps to lead him to Jesus.
So that's relevant to her son's character, but not hers.

Disabilities don't define you. They're part of you but it doesn't tell you more about them than, say, what their favorite book is.

Also... Ahem. We're just assuming this is after Whit has accepted Christ because he's acting like a Christian. Well, plenty of people believe in Jesus and the Bible but haven't accepted Jesus into their heart yet. We know they read the Bible as a family before he accepted Jesus. We have no reason to assume he didn't act Christian. Whether he was one is up for debate (I'd say he was but that's not the point.) Point being: maybe he was Christian, or acted like one being he was in a Christian family. This doesn't necessarily take place when Fiona was blind.
Last edited by Pound Foolish on Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

The Old Judge wrote:T.S., in this statement, are you referring to Alice in Wonderland as being subpar and ridiculous as compared to other novels. This is not true. It is the pinnacle and epitome of its genre: nonsensical fiction. It has remained timeless over its 150 year existence. The main issue with the OAC episodes, or any Odyssey episode taking this turn, is that AIO was not designed for the genre of nonsensical fiction; it was designed to be Christian fiction. When any franchise, of any sort, tries to branch off into something other than its original intended format, it begins to lose support and fans.
No, definitely not. My intent was pointing out that the image is very nonsensical, something that doesn't really belong in Odyssey. I bear no ill will towards Alice in Wonderland. =p
Tarol
Peach Cobbler

ClaraOswald wrote:I don't have OAC, but I was wondering what happened to Jeff Lewis. Did he leave on a mission trip or something that they didn't explain in the regular episodes?
They haven't explained anything. I think he's been mentioned once or twice, but they haven't said anything about his absence, that I can remember. With him being a missionary pilot, it's easy to assume he's just gone, or away from the "Odyssey Camera," or he's just not important to the AIO story line anymore.

Walk This Way:
This was a really good episode! I thought it'd be rather silly... Connie participating in a Beauty Contest, really? And we have done this at least twice before. However, the moral of the story was well define, explained, and was different from the other Contest episodes we've had. It was really cool to hear from some of Penny's, Eugene's, and Wooton's roll models; and then see Connie become one. I really enjoyed the smaller cast as well, and I didn't even miss that there were no kids in this episode. xD Probably one of my favorite OACs. =)
That's nice of you to say PF, but I still think it's very weak to say not mentioning Fiona's blindness is not important. (I'll refer you to MF's previous post) As to the actual timing, I'd had have to re-listen to "Thank You, God" to see if there are any clues to age/etc. there. But, I'd agree, just because he's a little goody two-shoes, doesn't mean he's actually become a Christian in his heart.
xo eht haiasi-
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

Wow, I don't think I've ever wanted an OAC episode to be an actual regular AIO episode than The Journal of John Avery Whittaker.

Wow, it was well done, it gives us history about Whit and Jack. It was simply amazing.

I do agree that mentioning that Fiona was blind would have made sense (especially where he says that everything changed, a short mention of it would have made sense and made it more canon.)]

I hope this can be on a sampler disc or something though. It was really good. The best OAC episode so far.
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~
SirWhit
Banana Fudge

Didn't Connie say that her mother owned the house outright in Life Expectancy?

Bleh plot holes lol
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

I actually thought about that too.....

OH. Well. Maybe Connie just wanted to pay a mortgage.

Tarol
Peach Cobbler

No one's freaking out about the new Whit's End employee that was introduced in AO club episodes only? I thought that was the biggest fear of every one about the AO club. 0__0

Soooooo, the ring thing was totally predictable.... I wonder if they are doing back story on Whit because they want to kill him off. O.o
xo eht haiasi-
Novatom
Raspberry Ripple

I don't have OAC, and so I obviously haven't been listening to the episodes, but could someone please describe this new employee? I am very curious.
17:39<Novatom>: I'm in another boat. A boat of people who don't know what everyone's talking about. A boat that is sinking.
17:40<Sameriazx>: oh no... here we go again...
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

Novatom wrote:I don't have OAC, and so I obviously haven't been listening to the episodes, but could someone please describe this new employee? I am very curious.

Here's her wiki page:
http://www.aiowiki.com/wiki/Renee_Carter
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~
The Old Judge
Mint Chocolate Chip

I checked the wiki page, and this little gem stuck out to me:
AIOWiki wrote:Early in her life, Renee had her dog pass away. She had faith, but lost it after he died. Thus, she devoted her thinking to proof, rather than faith. Her faith is largely based in math
Okay............ :anxious: :anxious: :anxious:

Will this employee ever appear on the non-exclusive shows?
What is her purpose on the show? Not what she does as an employee, but what will be her role in the continual development of AIO?
And when did she debut on the OAC?

Bobby Fuller Four (1966)
Do you think you know music? Guess the hints at the end of each of my posts in A Musical Journey. (The name's a link. You can click it.)