Split episodes

Grab your AIO albums, and find a table! What makes your favorite episode the best? Have an episode you really dislike? This is the place to review and discuss AIO episodes and albums.
Mickey
Peach Cobbler

Split episodes

So what do think of episodes like Where There's Smoke/The Virtual Kid? I don't really care! There kinda different. And as some of you probably know I like longer ones like sagas! What do you think?
Last edited by Mickey on Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud K.R.E Member
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

I'm not opposed to the idea of split episodes (I would recommend that the admins change the title of this topic, since "split episodes" is the official name for them), but I don't believe that Odyssey used the idea to its fullest potential. I can safely say that the only split episodes that I genuinely enjoyed were "The Eternal Birthday" and "Chain Reaction", though "Sunset Bowlwater" and "What Do You Think?" aren't too shabby either. The other ones seemed to be suffering from a lack of originality in story line, or just an overall rushed feeling because of the time constraints. I think I read somewhere that the splits were a way for AIO to give new writers some practice before moving on to full-length episodes. And while this idea would certainly be beneficial for the writer, it's not great for the listener who has to sit through dull episodes like "The Virtual Kid", "Lyin' Tale", "Idol Minds", "Long Way Home", and the notorious "Bethany's Flood/Seven Deadly Dwarves". To be honest, I wouldn't be too thrilled if AIO returned to the format again since the same problems could easily arise, but I guess you could say that, when done well, split episodes "have their place".
Last edited by ArnoldtheRubberDucky on Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Sir Arnold, Knight of the Order of Augustine, Debate Vampire
Mr. Yorp wrote:You don't need a degree to shovel manure.
Rosy
Cookie Dough

I must second that and say that The Eternal Birthday is the only spilt episode that stands out to me. The rest of them weren't really memorable episodes, and most of the time I just skip over them. (Especially the one about Bethany's dream. That one was awful, in my opinion)
꿈. 희망. 전진.
Mickey
Peach Cobbler

I will argue saying the Eternal Birthday is quite a boring episode :roll: But A Lion 'tail is cool.
Proud K.R.E Member
Emma
Peach Cobbler

What is a split episode?
The Old Judge
Mint Chocolate Chip

The split episodes were made during what has been called the AIO "Dark Ages" (1998-2000). Each half hour show was split up into two 15-minute segments, thus the name "split episodes." It is true what everyone has said. The episodes felt rather rushed, the plots were juvenile, and overall they lacked the charm of traditional Odyssey episodes. Probably for that reason they were discontinued. You can find them on Albums 33 and 34.
Do you think you know music? Guess the hints at the end of each of my posts in A Musical Journey. (The name's a link. You can click it.)
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

Micky wrote:I will argue saying the Eternal Birthday is quite a boring episode :roll: But A Lion 'tail is cool.
I will argue saying that I vehemently disagree with you on both points. Would you care to state your argument for this belief, sir? :)
Mickey
Peach Cobbler

Oh my word I AM NOT A SIR!! What is up?! Well eternal birthday is just weird boring I just don't like it!
While a 'lion tale is totally more exciting!
Proud K.R.E Member
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

"Lyin' Tale" was literally a cliche, the whole thing. "The Eternal Birthday" benefited mostly from its great source material (Groundhog Day), but it was still pretty good in its own right.
Emma
Peach Cobbler

Ohhh... Okay, I know that I have listened to some, I just don't remember.
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

The Eternal Birthday was funny, anyway. It seems like I keep coming across that premise though. A kid makes wish, everything goes berserk. And that's kind of a problem when that was the only idea it had and the whole thing was milking it. Still, again, it was funny, and that's the real point of a comedy after all.
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

Yeah, I would agree. I wasn't really a huge Groundhog Jay fan, though, since I felt that doing two homages to one (admittedly great) movie was a little much, even for AIO's constant parody of pop culture. But anyway, I'm getting off-topic.

I understand that you, PF, are a fan of splits. Could you perhaps give me some examples of "great" split episodes and perhaps change my mind about them? :)