Father's Day

Grab your AIO albums, and find a table! What makes your favorite episode the best? Have an episode you really dislike? This is the place to review and discuss AIO episodes and albums.
Waldo
Raspberry Ripple

Father's Day

Lately I listened to Father’s Day for the first time. It is one of the older episodes and one that I had never heard before. It made me think, and think for hours. I listened to it in the car and the following 3 hours after listening to it I couldn’t stop thinking and praying about it.

For those who don’t know, Father’s Day is about Connie dealing with her parents’ divorce and her father’s marrying April.

As I said, I thought about this episode a lot. I even talked to my mom about it. I don’t think I’ve talked to my mom about an Odyssey episode for at least 9 years.

Divorce is a more “touchy” subject to talk to children about, especially in a radio drama setting. How do you think Odyssey handled this with Connie? Do you think it’s realistic? An example? Something the youth of today should hear?

p.s. I do have opinions and I’ll share them eventually, I just wanted to hear what you all think.
Odyssey Fan Wiley
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

Father's Day was actually one of the few episodes I listened to before I got into Odyssey. I got a tape of it from Chick-Fil-A. I don't known if my parents knew what this episode was about, because I remember that I was pretty sheltered about such things when I was younger. The only divorced family I knew was my uncle and aunt, but I didn't know the details until I got older.

Honestly, I can't say whether or not it is an accurate representation, because I've never really been around divorce or kids who have divorced parents.
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Well, Connie was still fond of her father, which is often the case. But she also got very emotional about the consequences if Bill's being divorced
the remarriage
which is very realistic. Divorce is highly emotional. It wrecks you. Some people get divorced simply because they value their attraction to others above a spouse, like Bill.
However, some have very real and terrible causes, such as... well, such as things I really shouldn't talk about. But there was no need to bring the latter up. Divorce sometimes has a good reason, though it's always wrong and tragic. But that had nothing to do with the point of the episode.
So, yes, it managed things perfectly. Connie was much like the injured child divorces tend to leave behind, and Bill was, sadly, a good example of a very typical American absentee parent.
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

I liked this episode. At first, it seemed like it could simply be a slice-of-life episode about Connie and her father, but it soon dealt with much more interesting and complicated concepts than AIO had dealt with in episodes like "Emotional Baggage". And of course, the episode gets an extra star for having Connie with an Italian accent.
Sir Arnold, Knight of the Order of Augustine, Debate Vampire
Mr. Yorp wrote:You don't need a degree to shovel manure.
Samantha14
Mint Chocolate Chip

CreativeThinker101 wrote:I liked this episode. At first, it seemed like it could simply be a slice-of-life episode about Connie and her father, but it soon dealt with much more interesting and complicated concepts than AIO had dealt with in episodes like "Emotional Baggage". And of course, the episode gets an extra star for having Connie with an Italian accent.
Again... This. Post. Wins.

I have to agree, I loved this episode very much. It really made me think.. I don't know divorce personally, but I do have family members who have divorced and remarried several times. It's hard.
That's the thing about it, though. In a way, depending on what the reasoning behind it, it's both good, bad, relieving, and stressful. Not saying that divorce is ever a good thing, necessarily. But, you have to look at it from multiple angles depending on what it was about.

That's where Connie comes in. I really liked how this episode showed the perspective of all three Kendalls. It showed the betrayed feel of June and Connie, the almost 'who cares' feel of Bill, and the torn apart, hurt feel of Connie in the middle of it all. The entire story arc felt... I dunno. Wrong? I guess is the word I'm looking for. Bill didn't stay true. He never has, and probably never will. He was so obsessed in filling his own lust and selfish ways that he was willing to do anything to do so; Including hurting the ones he 'loved'. (I use that term very loosely.)

June couldn't stay with a man who was like this, hence the divorce. It was better on her part... In a way, really, it was the right thing. But, that doesn't make it any easier or make it seem any less wrong. We had to watch Connie and June suffer through the pain that Bill's cold heart caused them. It makes us want to reach in and strangle Bill until he got it straight. However, it's accuracy is true. At least, to me. That's what happens... It's horrible, but it's true. And then the kids have to sit there, watching it all... Wondering.. What they ever did wrong...

But, then, what happens when ideas are made. We all know that Bill hurt Connie. But, being the loving daughter like she is, and like most any daughter would, she never lost faith in her father. Or her mother. Or her parents and the love they once shared for each other. We can understand her dreaming... We would too. But, the sad thing is, this is life. Reality. And in reality, sometimes dreams don't come true. As much as we hate to see it or admit it, it's true. And that's what happens, as Connie finds out... Her dreams and hopes rose high, and then were caused to make a crash landing, all because of Bill. It seems unfair and hard to us, especially those of us who have walked a mile in her shoes.

I felt bad, yet was a bit...Oh, what's the right word... Entertained? Amused? Hmm.. Anyways, that she went through all that just to try and re-spark the romance between her mother and her father. We are a bit amused at her 'cuteness', but, a bit sorry for her in her efforts. I don't know. In the end it really felt wrong... But, that's one of the reasons we all love the father-daughter relationship between Whit and Connie. He is everything she lacked in Bill. And then in the end, we can smile, because we know that God put Connie and Whit in each others lives to be just that; A bond that can never be broken. =)

So, yes, that was my very very round about way of saying I loved this episode. The joy, the sorrow, the climax, the outcome... It all made for a truly classic AIO. And that is why I love it. ^_^

(Hmm.. I have got to tone down my answers a bit...)
Novatom
Raspberry Ripple

When I saw this topic, I didn't know there was an episode called Father's Day, and I thought this topic was about the holiday coming up in June! Oops! Maybe I should listen to that episode!
17:39<Novatom>: I'm in another boat. A boat of people who don't know what everyone's talking about. A boat that is sinking.
17:40<Sameriazx>: oh no... here we go again...
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Wow, stunning post, besty. It made me feel for Connie... I will say, dreams do come true however. I'll prove it. I shall dream I am at my computer typing. Tah-dah!
Anyhoo, dreams do come true. And divorced couples sometimes do come back together.
And you said...
June couldn't stay with a man who was like this, hence the divorce. It was better on her part... In a way, really, it was the right thing. But, that doesn't make it any easier or make it seem any less wrong.
First you say it's okay in a way, then you say it's not? Divorce always hurts the kid, and that's all that matters. What are you saying?
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
Samantha14
Mint Chocolate Chip

Pound Foolish wrote:
June couldn't stay with a man who was like this, hence the divorce. It was better on her part... In a way, really, it was the right thing. But, that doesn't make it any easier or make it seem any less wrong.
First you say it's okay in a way, then you say it's not? Divorce always hurts the kid, and that's all that matters. What are you saying?
Wrong... Heh, that was a miscommunication on my part. Divorces seem wrong. Even when they are right. Wrong... As in the figure of speech. Ever heard someone say 'That's just wrong...' ? That's what I meant. It isn't wrong, it just seems wrong. And even when it's 100 % right, it doesn't make it seem right in any way. It doesn't make it seem any less wrong than it does seem..

Does that make sense now? I know what I mean.. But I'm not totally sure how to get it in words to explain it correctly...
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Read that over, Frog Face. It makes no sense at all. (Typical of you.)
In any case, divorces are always wrong, especially when there's a child involved, period. Agree or disagree?
Samantha14
Mint Chocolate Chip

Pound Foolish wrote:Read that over, Frog Face. It makes no sense at all. (Typical of you.)
In any case, divorces are always wrong, especially when there's a child involved, period. Agree or disagree?
-______- I'm bad at putting thoughts in words.

And, it depends on what you mean. Are you saying that it's wrong in the sense of it being a sin, or wrong as in...What I've already tried to explain and no one gets? o_0
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Are you trying to say it's generally wrong, but sometimes divorce has negative affects and seems wrong, though the action itself is in fact justified?
Waldo
Raspberry Ripple

So, as I said in my beginning post, this episode made me think and I have opinions and so I decided I would share my thoughts.

I come from a situation similar to Connie's my dad left my mom for another woman and has a past similar to Bills. Obviously, no divorce/situation is the same. There are some things about Bill and June's relationship and circumstance that differ from that of my parents. With this insite to what happens in a divorce, I can see the episode maybe a little differently than someone who has never experienced the pain and the hurt.

I went back and listened to it again just today/yesterday to make sure my feelings were the same about this episode. The fact that this episode can cause confusion and stir up thoughts in a (at the time of first listen) 18 year old makes me wonder how it makes a small child going through this feel.

Connie goes from trying to get her parents back together and finding out her dad is married one night to going to meet her the next? That doesn't seem realistic to me.
I think Connie's emotions are realistic, trying to get her parents together, hurt feelings towards her dad, etc. But I don't think her recovery is that realistic. She was young, I would say under 13 years old when her parents got divorced. I can understand her desire to get her parents together, the hope in that. But what 16-19 year old would accept their parent remarrying and then meeting the new spouse and so eager to go to New York so fast?

For me this was really confusing. My relationship with my father is not really existant, because that's not what's best for me right now. Do I love and respect my dad - yes. Do I pray for him- yes. Have I forgiven him- yes (not that it was easy). Do I want to meet his girlfriend- no. Do I want to go on vacation with them- um, no way.

I had always been told that I handle my parents separation/ divorce really well and maturely. So it was hard for me to hear Connie so willing to move beyond that, with no feelings of restraint. Made me wonder if I was doing what was right in not wanting to spend time with my dad/meet his girlfriend.

One thing that I totally agree with that was mentioned by June, and repeated by Chris in the episode was that we have to do what's right for us.

Each divorce is different, each situation.. but we have to do what is right for us (that is in line with the Bible). That I think should be the main point and what ANY child going through a divorce should walk away from that episode with.. not that Connie looked past her dad's faults and spent time with him. Because any little kid, or teen, could listen to that and think they need to have a relationship with both parents after a divorce, even if that's not what's best or healthy for them to do.

So, all this to say. I think the episode made some good points, but the ending I did not like. It would have been better, in my opinion, if they had left Connie making the decision, or even with June telling Connie that she has to do what's best for her.

Just my opinion from an inside perspective.
Odyssey Fan Wiley
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

Wow. I really enjoyed your post, Waldo. You shed some light on that episode for me.

I agree that Connie changed attitudes too quickly. That's not very realistic. The writers probably just wanted to fit the whole process into one episode, but they might have gotten better results if they made two episodes out of her healing process: an early one and then one months later. It might have even worked to have a six-month time leap in the middle of the episode.

I think that AiO has done an excellent job in portraying 'difficult' issues accurately and tastefully, in a way that appeals to older listeners but still remains appropriate for the younger. I don't have much personal experience with divorce, besides relatives, but I still found this episode touching.
"Happy Birthday to Hot Leaf Water Ess!" - Belle
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

Pound Foolish wrote:Read that over, Frog Face. It makes no sense at all. (Typical of you.)
I disagree PF. I think it's a bit ridiculous to say, in any case, divorces are always wrong, period. What if the man is cheating on his wife? What if he's an extreme alcoholic? And what if the female didn't know that when she married him? This might seem like an absurd case, but I've actually heard of it happening, and in this case, if the spouse, no matter what, won't stop the terrible things they're doing, isn't divorce the only option? Of course, it's better to simply not marry them at all, but if you were stuck in that situation, what would you do? Simply stay the eternal soulmate of that cheating, sinful person because Divorce is wrong, period? I'm not saying I believe in frivolous divorce at all, but I don't believe it's out of the question in a situation like that. What do you guys think?
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

TS, Waldo, you raise valid points, and I was thoroughly fascinated by your remarks, Waldo. And moved. It's sad, but divorce is rather a part of life. It's rather confusing... one of my best friends has an ex-divoreced dad. Which of course means she wouldn't be here if her Dad hadn't remarried. So is it a good thing her dad remarried? Or would she have been born to someone else if he hadn't, or what?
However, you need to be called on your point that they rushed things and it should've been done in two episodes. People say this allll the time. I'm sure you've noticed. So-and-so should've been in more episodes. This-so-and-so adventure seemed too squished. If only so-and-so had been a two or three parter.
But if they did that anywhere near as often as people wish it. then all sorts of episodes we love would have to be abandoned. People don't seem to consider this. Though it's obvious. Practically speaking, you simply can't give a lot of attention and time to everything. Hundreds of ideas die rather than become a show, and the few things that do see the light are lucky that they got there at all. What if they never made Do or Diet because they wanted to explore Mitch's feelings about he and Connie separating?
But divorce, Mr. Thinker, is always wrong. Simply because when your married, you make a promise that can't be broken, and then you're bound together. Now it's not wrong to get away from each other for awhile, or even to live separate lives if it's absolutely necessary. Many parents prove to be dangerous and simply shouldn't be around their children or the wife/husband. Is that what you're saying? If so, you're right. However, the fact is, that person is still married in the eyes of God, so he or she still wouldn't be able to remarry until that spouse is dead. Do you see that?
Ooh, I just debated with TS and Mr. Thinker! And the birds are singing, and the sun has come out! (No, seriously, the birds are singing and the sun has come out. Literally.)
Last edited by Pound Foolish on Sat May 18, 2013 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Starflower1234
Cookies & Creme

Wow, for once I actually agree with PF on this issue. The Bible says that God did not intend for divorce to happen, but Jesus said that it was allowed only if it was because of adultery. In the Bible, it even says that if you are married to an unbeliever and you become a believer after you are married, to stay married to the unbeliever, and not get a divorce. I do believe that divorce is always wrong, especially when there are children involved.
I made a promise, Mr. Frodo. A promise. "Don't you leave him Samwise Gamgee." And I don't mean to. I don't mean to. - Sam from The Fellowship of the Ring movie
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you! - Sam from The Return of the King movie
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

Pound Foolish wrote: But divorce, Mr. Thinker, is always wrong. Simply because when your married, you make a promise that can't be broken, and then you're bound together. Now it's not wrong to get away from each other for awhile, or even to live separate lives if it's absolutely necessary. Many parents prove to be dangerous and simply shouldn't be around their children or the wife/husband. Is that what you're saying? If so, you're right. However, the fact is, that person is still married in the eyes of God, so he or she still wouldn't be able to remarry until that spouse is dead. Do you see that?)
Okay, yes, that is basically what I'm saying. But I suppose I don't quite understand the big difference between separation and divorce. They are essentially the same concept, as far as I can tell, but it seems many people are okay with separating but not divorce. Witness the Strausbergs. :D
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Divorce is more final, basically. Anyone would hate it their my parents separated or a while, but if they actually divorced, that's more emotionally awful. Plus, if it's done without intention to reconcile, it's very wrong.
But anyhow, glad that's all sorted out and we more or less agree for once.
Ameraka
Fudge Marble

Divorce is always a bad thing, and has negative effects on all involved, but sometimes it's worse if the person stays married, such as in the case of danger to the wife or child.

My book, Justice Lost, is on Amazon Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JM1XFCI
Waldo
Raspberry Ripple

Pound Foolish wrote:TS, Waldo, you raise valid points, and I was thoroughly fascinated by your remarks, Waldo. And moved. It's sad, but divorce is rather a part of life. It's rather confusing... one of my best friends has an ex-divoreced dad. Which of course means she wouldn't be here if her Dad hadn't remarried. So is it a good thing her dad remarried? Or would she have been born to someone else if he hadn't, or what?
However, you need to be called on your point that they rushed things and it should've been done in two episodes. People say this allll the time. I'm sure you've noticed. So-and-so should've been in more episodes. This-so-and-so adventure seemed too squished. If only so-and-so had been a two or three parter.
Yes, divorce can be confusing.. but I am not confused by it, I totally understand what has happened with my parents. Yes, it's a part of life, but that doesn't mean we should accept it. But God can, and does, bring good things out of terrible/bad things. Like your friend, if her Dad didn't remarry she wouldn't be here. It's good that she is. No she would not have been born to someone else since she is genetically half of her mom and half of her dad and if they were different she wouldn't be here. I wasn't saying or implying that only bad things happen after divorce.

About the episode, it was only confusing to me because I was getting the message that I should be ok with what my dad has done and continues to do, and actively seek a relationship with him and his girlfriend. I don't think that is always the best thing. I don't think the episode needed to be a two part, I just think it should have been ended differently, with June saying the Connie has to do what God wants her to and what is right for her, which in some cases may not be going on vacation with a dad and step mom. What I am concerned with is that 8,9, 10, 11 year olds (or any age really) are going to hear this episode and wonder what's wrong with them because they just CAN'T be like Connie and actively build a relationship with their parent. It's not always the best thing. Since Connie is a role model to many, they could be endangering themselves mentally to do what she did. This isn't always the case, sometimes it's best to have a relationship with both parents, it depends on the situation of the divorce. But I definitely think the episode could have ended better instead of giving the example that isn't always the best path.
Odyssey Fan Wiley