Not just a story.

Grab your AIO albums, and find a table! What makes your favorite episode the best? Have an episode you really dislike? This is the place to review and discuss AIO episodes and albums.
Samantha14
Mint Chocolate Chip

Not just a story.

I was listening to one of my Odyssey playlists the other day, and I came across some episodes that I hadn't heard in a while. As I was listening, I began thinking on each one, as well as others in the series.

There are many shows and movies these days that can move a person. They can add heart, as well as meaning. They can grasp a hold of ones emotions, and stir they're hearts, whether it's for better... or worse. However, not many shows/movies are like that today. Most are just what they are labeled as: Entertainment. Sure, there might be a scene where a tear or a giggle comes in, but they don't last. They don't make an impact. The question now remains, what does?

Slice of life episodes are my favorite of all, because they are and do just that. Let me give you an example:

A touch of healing, parts 1&2.
This episode was so close to home for me that it was scary. The first time I heard it, the EXACT thing was happening with my Great grandmother. The whole thing. And, the acceptance that was so hard, and the pain and sorrow, I felt like it was my own story. Even if it hadn't been happening to me, I still would have felt it. Each tear was real, because the story felt real.

Realness in a story means so much to me. AIO is one of the few things left that really has those slice of life episodes that we can relate to, as well as those that even if we can't necessarily relate to, we can still feel the pain and/or joy of the character, because it feels real to us.

AIO has some episodes that are meant strictly for entertainment, even though they always have a lesson. However, they have so many episodes that a person can relate to, and learn from, it's really what separates AIO from the rest of the media, among other things.

It's not just a story, it's an emotion. It's the heart behind it all. That's what I love most about AIO. What do you guys think?
Starflower1234
Cookies & Creme

Yes, that is one of the things I love about AIO. When I first listened to the Mortal Coil, I was crying like crazy, and I felt like Whit was dying, even though I knew he was going to live. That's the main episode that I remember, but I know that there are others. I love things that I can feel the emotion of. Lord of the Rings is a book that I can feel the emotion of the characters. Usually, when something exciting happens, I just get excited because it's an exciting moment. I even do that at sad moments sometimes. But when a book, or a movie, or an Odyssey episode makes me feel the sadness as well as the excitement, I remember it. Odyssey does that more often then most other things. That is definitely what I love most about AIO as well.
I made a promise, Mr. Frodo. A promise. "Don't you leave him Samwise Gamgee." And I don't mean to. I don't mean to. - Sam from The Fellowship of the Ring movie
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you! - Sam from The Return of the King movie
MeltsnerGirl91
Strawberry

I definitely agree! The heart seen behind the episodes is what makes AIO stand above the rest and is loved by so many fans. "What Are You Going to Do With Your Life?", "Black Clouds", and most recently "Great Expectations" are examples of some episodes that have really helped me with some personal struggles that I could relate to. You just get writing like that in the stuff they show on TV.
Samantha14
Mint Chocolate Chip

See, this is why I love it so much. It's not only funny, wise, and clean. But, it always has at least something you can relate to. Slice of life episodes. *Sighs* Really great.
MeltsnerGirl91
Strawberry

Indeed! It's just beautiful and makes you appreciate the wonderful writers of the episodes so much more!
Samantha14
Mint Chocolate Chip

Oh, most definitely. It's one thing to hear and think about how beautiful each episode itself is. But, when you start thinking about all the hard work each actor/writer/sound designer puts into it just to bring us each episode, it REALLY makes you appreciate it even more.
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

I like to take things to an extreme, especially when it comes to major fandom... So I think of Odyssey as a real place, and wish I could find it. It's that real to me.
Anyhow, I like what you're saying here. Much as we all love the occasional comedies and action stories and the trips in the inventions, it's the "slice of life" episodes that are the true heart of Odyssey. If there were only one genre of episodes, these would be the ones to remain. Those are the ones that have impacted my life, and will continue to.
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

I agree with you. I made a comment earlier that I now regret writing, but I couldn't delete it for some reason.
Last edited by ArnoldtheRubberDucky on Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Arnold, Knight of the Order of Augustine, Debate Vampire
Mr. Yorp wrote:You don't need a degree to shovel manure.
Oliver
Cookies & Creme

is this the nscs?
LOTR IS AWESOME
godisawesomeness99
Raspberry Ripple

uh nope I'll help you later
here from time to time....

Psalm 73:24
Oliver
Cookies & Creme

lol ok thanks
LOTR IS AWESOME
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

That's dreadful, Mr. Thinker. Simply dreadful. I was quite horrified when I first read this when you posted it. However, I once went through a phase like this with Narnia. I got this book on Wardrobe which was lovely, but it revealed a huge number of plotholes and inconsistencies in the series. I felt so let down, I put grew disgusted with the books for a while. But now, I love them, and accept the occasional bumps as just part of a complicated franchise. After all, when all is said and done, if something entertains you and you like it, why knock it? I really hope you'll come around. You're one of the greatest AIO fans out there.
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

You might say I have "come around" already. I honestly don't remember why I posted that. Maybe I had hit my head that day...

I do appreciate, for the most part, the entire AIO series as a whole, because not only is it an important part of my childhood, (the childhood I'm still going through, that is) but it also is a good series. Not all the episodes are great, but the writers, actors, sound designers, and directors have been relatively consistent in their greatness.
Sir Arnold, Knight of the Order of Augustine, Debate Vampire
Mr. Yorp wrote:You don't need a degree to shovel manure.
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Reading that was a grrrreat relief. Welcome really and truly back, Mr. Thinker.