The Lost Riddle

Grab your AIO albums, and find a table! What makes your favorite episode the best? Have an episode you really dislike? This is the place to review and discuss AIO episodes and albums.

What did you think of The Lost Riddle?

5 stars -- It was great! One of the best episodes on album 56!
10%
4 stars -- Pretty good. Not one of the best in the album, but still really good.
45%
3 stars -- It was okay.
40%
2 stars -- Not that great. They could've done better.
5%
1 star -- Terrible! Worst episode on album 56!
No votes

Total votes: 20

Kaida
Fudge Marble

The Lost Riddle

How do you think the Jones and Parker Detective Agency did in this episode? I think it might've been their best yet.
Isaiah 40:8, 1 Corinthians 10:31
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

Honestly, I think Emily was not on the game in this episode. Even I'm not a detective, but I know about the lemon juice trick! I think the Adventures in Odyssey team wanted to make Emily a little more realistic, but it didn't work out.
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~
Kaida
Fudge Marble

Yeah, they probably should have chosen something else to stump her.. Not the lemon juice thing.
Isaiah 40:8, 1 Corinthians 10:31
Connie_Kendall
Peanut Butter Cup

yea, i agree :? other than that, i enjoyed the episode ;)
Aftershocker
Mocha Jamocha

God's Girl wrote:Honestly, I think Emily was not on the game in this episode. Even I'm not a detective, but I know about the lemon juice trick! I think the Adventures in Odyssey team wanted to make Emily a little more realistic, but it didn't work out.
I agree with you on this. They made her seem less intelligent in this episode than in other episodes.
^^ Props to Belle ^^
Liz'alike
Cookie Dough

It wasn't my favorite Jones & Parker episode... (did I just say that out loud?! Sorry Emily!)
I'd have to agree with Kaida and GG, Emily just wasn't her normal sparkling best... Though, I did enjoy the episode! It just wasn't my favorite.
Wretched Sinner
Lemon Meringue

I listened to this episode and figured out the riddle the moment I heard it.
SparkyHappyGiraffe
Fudge Marble

I enjoyed it because of the humor and the simple fun riddles And the amazing lesson it taught (don't forget about that people)!
Connie_Kendall
Peanut Butter Cup

Wooton Bassett wrote:I listened to this episode and figured out the riddle the moment I heard it.
Yea, I did too ;)
Waldo
Raspberry Ripple

The Jones and Parker Detective Agency had a new type of case this time. This mystery was the first one (to my memory) where the result of the solved mystery was actually one of real consequence and life changing for someone.

So in a way, I liked the episode. The episode had real purpose and meaning to it other than just a mystery episode. It was not the hardest mystery to solve, or the most extravagant, but it was a good Jones and Parker episode in my opinion.
Odyssey Fan Wiley
Wretched Sinner
Lemon Meringue

I thought everything in the show was super obvious, The J&P could have done MUCH better
whittaker96
Caramel Crunch

Does anyone else besides me think that there haven't been as many original ideas on Odyssey? I mean, don't get me wrong, I thought this was a good episode, but it's so similar to Buried Sin, similar to how Clutter was the new generation's Treasures of the Heart, Groundhog Jay taking the concept of Eternal Birthday, and Finish What You...as the new No Factor. They've had some great new ideas since the relaunch, in fact a lot, like Unbecoming Jay, To Mend or Repair, Something Old, Something New, and The Holy Hoopster, so I don't understand why they still rely on past concepts. You can take an old conceot and recycle it into something completely new and fresh, like The Devil Made Me Do It taking on the spirit of Hidden in My Heart, but a slightly adjusted remake just isn't as fresh.

But I'll still give it 3.5 stars 'cause of Phil Lollar's Dale awesomeness.
Come take a humorous, modern look at Odyssey, reviewing, discovering, and applying w/ Out of Control in Odyssey and Candid KOnversations! Join the odyssey to find the real Odyssey.

http://odysseyoutofcontrol.blogspot.com/
Arkán Dreamwalker
Pistachio

I have made a special study of codes and cyphers, and I would have tried the lemon juice thing right away. It works with anything organic (carbon-based) that is clear or almost clear, such as milk, lemon juice, egg white, and urine.
~ Walker in Dreams
Connie_Kendall
Peanut Butter Cup

whittaker96 wrote:Does anyone else besides me think that there haven't been as many original ideas on Odyssey? I mean, don't get me wrong, I thought this was a good episode, but it's so similar to Buried Sin, similar to how Clutter was the new generation's Treasures of the Heart, Groundhog Jay taking the concept of Eternal Birthday, and Finish What You...as the new No Factor. They've had some great new ideas since the relaunch, in fact a lot, like Unbecoming Jay, To Mend or Repair, Something Old, Something New, and The Holy Hoopster, so I don't understand why they still rely on past concepts. You can take an old conceot and recycle it into something completely new and fresh, like The Devil Made Me Do It taking on the spirit of Hidden in My Heart, but a slightly adjusted remake just isn't as fresh.

But I'll still give it 3.5 stars 'cause of Phil Lollar's Dale awesomeness.
Yeah, i noticed that too, and it's getting really annoying. I love AIO, they just seem to be running low, idea wise at least. Maybe time for some new writers ;)
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

I'll add my name to the annoyed-by-lemon-juice list. Anyone who's read a single children's book on detecting or a single children's mystery series knows about that. In fact, she seemed a great deal to the side in this episode. It's Matthew who spots the paper, and he's behind the wheel from then on for the most part.
As for repeating patterns... that's all very odd. There are very occasional episodes like Happy Hunting, which deliberately repeat an earlier pattern and premise and revel in it. That's fun, if you're like me. It's that goofy one-more-around-on-the-merry-go-round feeling, which is perfect for Wooton and Penny. But others are more disgusted with such things than anything.
Then there's when the line blurs, and there are strong similarities, but one wonders if it's doing homage, or if it's just an accident, or what. If Riddle is doing homage to Buried, it's perfect. But if it's by accident, it's a bizarre slip.
On the other hand, can we really condemn similar plot devices? In the end, there's really only so many things to work with. Similarities are going to come up, if you look for them. It can be seen as inevitable.
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
Connie_Kendall
Peanut Butter Cup

Maybe they put Matthew as center of attention of purpose. I mean, he's always behind Emily, but in reality, he could solve the cases just as well as her. So the writers could have wanted him front and center instead of Emily.... hmmm
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Don't say such things. Emily has always shown far more detecting intution, observational prowess, and initiative in all the other mysteries. To say Matthew is as good as her is laughable.
In fact.... HA HA HA! I laugh in thy face!
Sorry. That just came out.
Emily RULES!
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
Connie_Kendall
Peanut Butter Cup

Uh, not really. She didn't even know the lemon juice thing. I was like, "oh yeah, I remember doing that! I've know that trick since the first grade!" Matthew knows it, Emily doesn't. Matthew helped solve it, Emily narrated. I like Emily, she a good character, but like us, she's not perfect... ;) :lol: