Bespeak Bob II

What's your favorite color? What's your most embarrassing memory? From the usual questions, to the bizarre, here is where you can ask any question of others, so grab a chair and chat!
Bob
Caramel Crunch

Bespeak Bob II

I've posted up one of these on each of the other forums I regularly drop in on, like this one, so I figured this was the next place to put one up.
Last edited by Bob on Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
A classic never goes out of style.
GJFH
Peanut Butter Cup

What made you choose the name "Bob" ?
What is your favourite season?
What is your favourite colour?
Are you optimistic or pessimist? :)
I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us - Romans 8:18

It’s not enough to be against something. You have to be for something better. – Tony Stark
Bob
Caramel Crunch

GJFH wrote:What made you choose the name "Bob" ? It's a name I used for a long time, for space games especially. At the time I signed up for the Town of Odyssey, I was still using it. Now, I've switched to "James Gryphon" everywhere else, but I kept it for the AiO community. Maybe I'll transition to the new name later, I don't know.
What is your favourite season? It's a tough call. There are seasons that are important to me because they're identifiable with events in my life. If we're judging just by their merits as far as the physical world goes, though, temperature, climate, etc., I would say spring, because it's the furthest away from having winter again.
What is your favourite colour? To wear... probably black. Otherwise, there's a few I like, including maroon, green, yellow, tan, and of course white.
Are you optimistic or pessimist? :) About things relating to me, I'm a pessimist. About people I know, I'm generally more optimistic. About the world at large, I tend towards pessimism again.
Kathy0
Cookies & Creme

If you could be any dairy product what would it be?
Do you have a job?
Whats you best memory?
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

Do you like potatoes?
What is the most interesting thing that's happened to you in the past week?
"Happy Birthday to Hot Leaf Water Ess!" - Belle
Bob
Caramel Crunch

After a very long time...
Kathy0 wrote:If you could be any dairy product what would it be?
I suppose milk; pure, delicious, nutritious for everyone: children, calves and adults alike, and an excellent ingredient to use for making great things.
Kathy0 wrote:Do you have a job?
Not at this time. I'm a part-time student, part-time staff member at a web forum, and part-time tinkerer and ne'er-do-well.
Kathy0 wrote:Whats you best memory?
That's a pretty hard question to answer. What my fondest memory is that comes to mind varies somewhat depending on my situation. If I'm snuggled up with my cat, I might think about another time I was comfortably reposed. If I'm thinking about sports, I might think fondly back to our volleyball games and some of my serving hot streaks, or, for video game sports, some goals I scored or tough games I played. If my mind dwells on my crush, I might remember her bright smile and laughter that lights up the world, or the way she looked while playing a game, or the intensity of her expression during worship. If I'm thinking about a video game, there are innumerable situations that might come up, but some that might particularly come to mind are when me and some friends were hanging out at our base, waiting for attackers to come, or that perfect couple of grenade lobs I managed to squeeze off that one time. There are lots of situations that bring different thoughts to mind. If I think about forums, I might think about the deep conversations I've had, or the fun times writing for games. If I'm listening to music, I might think about the times I spent along for the ride with my big sister back in the day.

Off the top of my head, though, my mind goes back to our youth trip to NAYC '09. I had been out of state (for the first time in my adult life) earlier in the year, but it was still a big adventure for me, and it didn't disappoint. Our new (at that time) pastor and pastor's wife led the trip, and it was one of the best times I ever had. That trip had it all -- fun, friends, and a spiritual experience that I've been hard-pressed to find most of the rest of my time. We've been on a bunch of other trips since then, all of them special, but that one was the first big trip out of state, and perhaps it stands out a little better in some ways than the rest.
T.S. (myself) wrote:Do you like potatoes?
Absolutely; they're one of my favorite foods. I'll eat them just about any way, but I especially like them as the foundational ingredient for a soup, or baked.
T.S. (myself) wrote:What is the most interesting thing that's happened to you in the past week?
I don't remember what happened the last week of the time that you asked this question, but as of this week, it's probably my reading some very discouraging posts about the state of one of the communities I frequent.
Didi
Cookies & Creme

What do you believe?
"I was born with white vans on"
"Vans weren't even popular when you were born"
K.R.E.
Emma
Peach Cobbler

What are you trying to do with your life?

What is your most favorite thing to do?

What is your favorite thing to talk about?

Would you say you are most social or antisocial?

By the way, glad to see you made one of these. :D
Bob
Caramel Crunch

Didi wrote:What do you believe?
I hold Oneness Apostolic Pentecostal beliefs.
Emma wrote:What are you trying to do with your life?
Right now, I'm mostly drifting along hoping that someday it (my life) will suddenly and supernaturally fall into order.

That plan hasn't worked too well so far, F.Y.I.
Emma wrote:What is your most favorite thing to do?
There are a lot of things, but the thing that would rank the most highly on average at any given point in time... probably snuggling up with my cat.
Emma wrote:What is your favorite thing to talk about?
Anything where I can put on a pretense of intelligence without having to work too hard to maintain it. ;)

Also, buttons! :inlove: (This is mainly for the benefit of the people from my other community who will read this, although Kaida might appreciate it.)

Seriously, I don't dislike history, political and literary-type (including AIO) discussions. I also enjoy gaming and don't mind discussing the subject.
Emma wrote:Would you say you are most social or antisocial?
"Antisocial" is such a harsh word. I prefer the term "cloistered". ;)
Emma wrote:By the way, glad to see you made one of these. :D
Thanks.
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Why do you believe what you believe? Were you taught it all your life?

Is Bob your real name or a username?

Do you like cats?
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~
AKA Countess Concordia of the Chat, Regalia, and the Queen of Sarcasm

I am a personal quirk. --Adrian Dreamwalker
Bob
Caramel Crunch

Miss Friendship wrote:Why do you believe what you believe? Were you taught it all your life?
I was, but that's not why I believe it today, or at least not the main reason. I believe it because of the natural and supernatural evidence I've seen at work in other people's lives.
Miss Friendship wrote:Is Bob your real name or a username?
It's a username I adopted after using it for several years as my character name in computer games. It (unlike James Gryphon) has nothing at all to do with my real name.
Miss Friendship wrote:Do you like cats?
Absolutely!
GJFH
Peanut Butter Cup

Have you ever watched Agatha Christie's Poirot?
Do you like mystery stories?
What is your favourite cat breed?
Would you ever grow a moustache?
I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us - Romans 8:18

It’s not enough to be against something. You have to be for something better. – Tony Stark
Bob
Caramel Crunch

GJFH wrote:Have you ever watched Agatha Christie's Poirot?
I don't think so, but I have listened to one or two of her stories in audiobook format. From what I recall I enjoyed it.
GJFH wrote:Do you like mystery stories?
I don't go out of my way to listen to them, but I enjoy them as much as anyone does. Maybe I'd like them better if I was better at piecing the clues together. ;)
GJFH wrote:What is your favourite cat breed?
It's hard to say, because my beloved cat isn't any particular breed that I'm aware of. Some of my favorites, though: Maine Coon, for obvious reasons. We have had a cat with definite Bombay traits, so I like those too. Finally, the ragdoll, because the concept is just adorable. ;)
GJFH wrote:Would you ever grow a moustache?
I don't anticipate it happening. Facial hair is against our church standard in American culture due to its perceived negative connotations. If I ever moved to a Middle Eastern country, though, maybe I'd think about that kind of thing.
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Bob wrote:I don't anticipate it happening. Facial hair is against our church standard in American culture due to its perceived negative connotations. If I ever moved to a Middle Eastern country, though, maybe I'd think about that kind of thing.
What are the negative connotations?
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~
AKA Countess Concordia of the Chat, Regalia, and the Queen of Sarcasm

I am a personal quirk. --Adrian Dreamwalker
Bob
Caramel Crunch

I didn't forget about this, I just repeatedly put it off.

It's a similar logic to Disney's old appearance code:
Snopes wrote:Disneyland's appearance code for employees, instituted in the 1950s, prohibited male cast members from sporting mustaches, beards, or long hair. Back when the code was implemented,
facial hair was perceived as conveying a negative image to many Americans, who associated beards and mustaches on young men with beatniks, un-American activities, and — in the 1960s — hippies. Disney's philosophy was that customers preferred park workers to be wholesome and well-scrubbed
Besides the groups mentioned above, there's also other subcultures that fit into the same kind of unsavory appearance; bikers, etc. I'm not saying that these are all bad people, but people draw conclusions consciously and subconsciously when you take on this kind of appearance. In America, facial hair is often associated with rebellion and unkemptness, and it's best not to get anywhere near that.

At one time in American history, that was not the case, and at that time I don't believe facial hair was a problem. We know that Jesus Himself had a beard. This guideline is an adaptation to our current culture.
shnoodlec.
Fudge Marble

Will you ever let me in #grotto? (Not that I would wanna hang out with a buncha losers anyway :x)

Why'd you come back to the ToO? We were having so much fun without you :(

Are you working hard or hardly working?

What is Sword Officer's favorite color?

Did you know that you're interesting? (as opposed to boring)

What's your favorite?

e.
Last edited by shnoodlec. on Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
High wellborn Lady shnoodlec Knight of the Order of Augustine, formally known as Queen of the Monkeys. Q&A thread HERE. "SHNOOD IS THE OLDBIE NEWBIE AND SHE IS THE ONLY ONE WHO GETS THAT TITLE" - Belle
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

Bob wrote:This guideline is an adaptation to our current culture.
It's not our current culture though. Facial hair is super in right now, and it has been for a while. Hence the article you quoted being Disney's old policy. These days, they have no problem with employees having facial hair, as long as it's well kept. I think Disney also has a rule about it already needing to be grown out, so you would need to do that before you started working, or on a vacation or something.
Bob wrote:In America, facial hair is often associated with rebellion and unkemptness, and it's best not to get anywhere near that.
Literally no one thinks this.

Out of curiosity, does the no facial hair rule apply to bearded drag too? Conchita Wurst is one of the more noted practitioners in this vein, though there were others she took inspiration from. I could see Oneness Pentecostalism being kind of a stickler for traditional drag only.
"Happy Birthday to Hot Leaf Water Ess!" - Belle
Shadow
Peach Cobbler

What games do you play?
I'm Monty Whittaker's greatest fan. member of the K.R.E
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Bob
Caramel Crunch

shnoodlec. wrote:Will you ever let me in #grotto? (Not that I would wanna hang out with a buncha losers anyway :x)
I'm sure the other people who come in there appreciate your thoughts. ;)

Maybe someday.
shnoodlec. wrote:Why'd you come back to the ToO? We were having so much fun without you :(
Ha ha. :roll:
I think part of it had to do with my regained interest in the AIOR project after a few years' hiatus. It coincided, I think, with an interest in talking about the show (too bad nobody does that around here ;) ).
shnoodlec. wrote:Are you working hard or hardly working?
Yes.
shnoodlec. wrote:What is Sword Officer's favorite color?
I'm not sure. I picture him as being sort of flashy, fitting with his fearless and somewhat reckless nature, so perhaps something bright like orange!
shnoodlec. wrote:Did you know that you're interesting? (as opposed to boring)
Whaaaaat? Why?
shnoodlec. wrote:What's your favorite?
No, it isn't.
shnoodlec. wrote:e.
E!

Tea Ess wrote:It's not our current culture though. Facial hair is super in right now, and it has been for a while... I think Disney also has a rule about it already needing to be grown out, so you would need to do that before you started working, or on a vacation or something.
Well, a study on the "Frontline Provider's Appearance" seems to suggest that this reasoning, as of 2013, is still viable.
Tea Ess wrote: Literally no one thinks this.
You might have chosen a different way of expressing yourself, since from my post there are necessarily a good chunk of people who do. ;)
Tea Ess wrote:Out of curiosity, does the no facial hair rule apply to bearded drag too? ... I could see Oneness Pentecostalism being kind of a stickler for traditional drag only.
I confess not being entirely sure if this section was meant to be a joke or not. ;) To clarify this, however, we are categorically opposed to drag, cross-dressing, and all such like.
Agent.MontyWhittaker wrote:What games do you play?
Of late, Ultimate, other Tic-Tac-Toe variants, Chess, Apples to Apples. I'm a big fan of trick-taking games too, like 42, Spades and Rook (the last of which I haven't had the chance to play yet).
Last edited by Bob on Fri May 11, 2018 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
shnoodlec.
Fudge Marble

Bob wrote:
shnoodlec. wrote:Did you know that you're interesting? (as opposed to boring)
Whaaaaat? Why?
Because after calling you boring a bunch of times you got a tad annoyed. :D I like to switch it up a little lest I become the boring one.
Bob wrote:
shnoodlec. wrote:What's your favorite?
No, it isn't.
Well then... Who's your favorite?

What client do you use for IRC?

When will you ban me from the RAF?
High wellborn Lady shnoodlec Knight of the Order of Augustine, formally known as Queen of the Monkeys. Q&A thread HERE. "SHNOOD IS THE OLDBIE NEWBIE AND SHE IS THE ONLY ONE WHO GETS THAT TITLE" - Belle