Ask Tea Ess things

What's your favorite color? What's your most embarrassing memory? From the usual questions, to the bizarre, here is where you can ask any question of others, so grab a chair and chat!

Favorite penguin?

Reginald
33%
Reginald
67%

Total votes: 6

SirWhit
Banana Fudge

Why don't you attach your signature?
Emma
Peach Cobbler

What is your favorite moment from the past (on the SS, of course)?
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

Miss Friendship wrote:Were you homeschooled?

Is this your first or second year in college?

Favorite subject in school?

Favorite authors?
I was homeschooled for part of first grade and onward. Before then, I was in public school.

This is my second year in college. I brought some dual credits from high school, so I'm taking classes a little above that, but I generally just say that I'm a sophomore. Last year I commuted between my college and home, and now I live on campus.

When I read for pleasure, I gravitate towards the fantasy genre, so my favorite authors are probably Tolkien and C.S. Lewis. Because I also love Sherlock Holmes, I would add Doyle as well, although it's been a while since I've read any of his works.
SirWhit wrote:Why don't you attach your signature?
I was experimenting with different board options this spring, and I decided to try not using a signature at all. I completely forgot about it until I came back, and I actually kind of like it this way now. I might add it back in the future, but I haven't decided.
Emma wrote:What is your favorite moment from the past (on the SS, of course)?
That's a great question, but it's really hard to narrow down. My favorite memories tend to be from a couple of years ago, but because that's mixed in with a good dose of nostalgia, they're a little biased. One of my favorite memories is from just before the ERK was founded. The Emily Jones character thread turned into a huge debate, with pretty much every user at the time involved. There were a lot of interesting perspectives shared (and insults used), and it inspired PF and Suzy to create the ERK, which prompted the start of the other Emily clubs too.
Mandy
Peach Cobbler

How did you know that Belle has used the word cheese 21 times on the SS? O.o

~Lady Mandy Knight of the
Order of Chrysostom in the
Court of the Debate Vampires~

MF: How much do you know about Helios?

Woody: Let's see. I know you survived her
drama, I know she's a danger to
society, I know she's a lie, I know
Belle is unfazed by her wrath, I
know she has ox horns, and I know
I should beware of her.

(And she is also my enemy. :evil: )
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

Mandy wrote:How did you know that Belle has used the word cheese 21 times on the SS? O.o
I have a very good memory. :P

Actually, if you click on anyone's profile, you can click (under where it says how many posts they have) "search user's posts" and you can search for a keyword.
Mandy
Peach Cobbler

Hmm cool! I will have to try that sometime! :P

~Lady Mandy Knight of the
Order of Chrysostom in the
Court of the Debate Vampires~

MF: How much do you know about Helios?

Woody: Let's see. I know you survived her
drama, I know she's a danger to
society, I know she's a lie, I know
Belle is unfazed by her wrath, I
know she has ox horns, and I know
I should beware of her.

(And she is also my enemy. :evil: )
Helios
Butter Pecan

I just realized something: both you and TigerShadow have names with the initials "TS". (or in your case, that's ALL you have) And both of you are debaters with well-formulated arguments. Thus, being a "TS" must make one a good debater, nein? :P

Do you watch horror movies?
Tarol
Peach Cobbler

If you want to get to know me...why don't you ask me questions? :noway: :twisted:

Were you on the ToO when it was active? And the Debate Society?

Do you prefer the SS or ToO better?
xo eht haiasi-
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

Helios wrote:I just realized something: both you and TigerShadow have names with the initials "TS". (or in your case, that's ALL you have) And both of you are debaters with well-formulated arguments. Thus, being a "TS" must make one a good debater, nein? :P

Do you watch horror movies?
Sorry it took me so long to reply, Helios. I didn't see that you had posted here. I didn't think about that. We should change everyone's names to have the initials TS and then we wouldn't have any more issues with debating! =p

I don't really watch horror movies. I'd never be able to sleep again. :(
Isaiah the Ox wrote:If you want to get to know me...why don't you ask me questions? :noway: :twisted:

Were you on the ToO when it was active? And the Debate Society?

Do you prefer the SS or ToO better?
I'm bad at coming up with good questions.

I joined the ToO a couple of years ago, but I've never posted very much. I did join the Debate Society and posted a bit there, but it's been months since I've been active. It's dying a slow death, although it's impressive it's held on this long considering the rest of the factions.

I definitely prefer the SS, but the ToO has good qualities too. It's a shame that activity there has been so low. That's at least in part due to the SS, I would think. :anxious:
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Why do you like statistics so much? :P

How long till I catch up with Belle considering my current post average?
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~
AKA Countess Concordia of the Chat, Regalia, and the Queen of Sarcasm

I am a personal quirk. --Adrian Dreamwalker
NinjaThrowingStar
Raspberry Ripple

Has math always been your favorite subject???

So you like frogs?

How old were you when you began to read?

How old were you when you discover your telepathic powers?
What is forever..? I shall see you again. Just after the mist has faded and time has stopped, over on the other side. Enjoy your journey and I'll enjoy mine.
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Did you join the SS or ToO first?

Do you like coffee?
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~

Tarol
Peach Cobbler

So, you like working with Excel? ;)

What's your favorite formula? (PICK ONE! :x)

What all have you used Excel for, IRL, that was useful? (meaning, not just for testing Excel out or a class)

Is there an "SS Stats" thread that you post all your stuff on? :P
xo eht haiasi-
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

Miss Friendship wrote:Why do you like statistics so much? :P

How long till I catch up with Belle considering my current post average?
I like statistics because they can give us very insightful views as to how the world works.

If we use the post averages from the total time you've been on the Soda Shop, it will take you about 143 days to surpass Belle. Using the post averages for the time since October 1st, it will take you slightly less time to catch up to her, at 138 days.
NinjaThrowingStar wrote:Has math always been your favorite subject???

So you like frogs?

How old were you when you began to read?

How old were you when you discover your telepathic powers?
Math hasn't always been my favorite subject; I used to hate it. :P Now I'm in an area of math that I like a lot, and it's definitely my favorite thing to study now.

I do like frogs. I actually got to see a poison dart frog exhibit about a month ago.

Although I'm not sure of the exact age, I think it was slightly later than average when I first started to read. I think that was partially due to me switching from public school to being homeschooled during the process of learning to read.

Good question. I've always known I've had latent telepathic powers, but they first began to manifest themselves on the SS chat back in the fall of 2012. I almost convinced Suzy of them after I used random facts I found from her blog, but unfortunately OF never believed they were real. :(
Miss Friendship wrote:Did you join the SS or ToO first?

Do you like coffee?
I found the SS when Jacob Isom posted about it on the Odyssey Scoop. I didn't know about the ToO until Joy talked about it. I had the initial reaction of a lot of SS members and thought the layout was confusing and overly complicated. This led to *cough* now rather embarrassing "war" between the SS and ToO, of which I was the primary instigator.

I don't drink a lot of coffee unless I'm sick, but it does have a nice flavor.
Isaiah the Ox wrote:So, you like working with Excel? ;)

What's your favorite formula? (PICK ONE! :x)

What all have you used Excel for, IRL, that was useful? (meaning, not just for testing Excel out or a class)

Is there an "SS Stats" thread that you post all your stuff on? :P
I do like working with Excel. I just attended a workshop for people with a moderate knowledge of Excel, and that was really helpful in teaching how to use keyboard shortcuts and a few different formulas.

I'll say VLOOKUP because that was one of the formulas discussed in the workshop. I had used it before, but I didn't really understand exactly what it does until now. Basically, it allows to to look up a person (for example) or other piece of information and reference a table or other worksheet with more information, and depending on what you specify, return a piece information relating to the person.

I've used Excel to keep track of my grades and also for the mentorship program of an organization I'm a member of. Also, for the SS and ToO charts.
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Why do you only drink coffee when you are sick?

What were the SS and ToO wars like? Which board did they happen on? :P

Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

I guess I like the flavor of coffee enough to drink it occasionally, but not to actually go to the trouble of making it or buying it. If I'm sick, though, tea or coffee can sound really good, and I've at least heard that coffee is supposed to help with congestion.

The SS vs ToO war started with a thread I made here named "101 reasons the SS is better than the ToO," which I still think was rather funny. :P Joy , a ToO native, was still around at the time, and she made a topic about it on the ToO in jest. That thread attracted the attention of a lot of ToOers, who had previously not really acknowledged the existence of the SS. I responded to a lot of their reactions and insults with cringe inducing posts, so I try not to think of that thread too much. =p

While there's been a lot of beneficial interaction between the boards, most notably the chat, there's also been a history of high tensions and insults thrown both ways. There's been a few other threads, all on the ToO, I think, that ended up as smaller wars between the boards. In general, the boards' administration has tried to limit any animosity, with some threads being locked or deleted, but there are still a lot of users on both sides that have expressed dislike for the other board.

I think it'll be interesting to see what happens in the future. The ToO has the advantage of having a lot of history, with many old users that stop in from time to time, and ten times the amount of posts the SS has. On the other hand, we've been much more active than them on average, and it looks like the ToO is slowly fading away.
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

The ToO has been around for a much longer time, so I can see why the ToO would consider itself to be superior to the SS. But there is something about the SS that the ToO doesn't have... not sure if I can describe exactly what that is. :P

Were you around when the SS had a chat? What was that like? Did the ToO stick to their chat and the SS to theirs? Did you have to be a registered user to use the SS chat?

Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

Yeah, I definitely prefer the Soda Shop, but other people have different preferences.

The SS didn't have a chat from the very beginning; it was something Bren enabled a month or two after the board started. I'm pretty sure I was here when the chat first became available, then. You did have to be a registered user to use or even see it. The SS chat didn't have its own web address like the ToO one does, it was embedded on the board index, so even if you weren't chatting you could see everything that had been said. You also couldn't use a nickname, as your username was automatically used.

The SS and ToO were more separate entities then, so there was very little interaction between the boards. The SS hadn't completely discovered the ToO, and just a couple of ToOers had posted on the SS. There weren't any SS users on their chat, and it was pretty much dead, even compared to the lower level of activity now. People here first started using the ToO chat in the fall/winter of 2012. I think OF and Kaida were some of the first to venture over there, and others soon followed. I can't remember when I used the ToO chat for the first time, but I remember being there for the 2012 Christmas party and meeting latch for the first time. :P The boost of activity from SS users helped revive the chat, and now it's used by members of both boards fairly equally.

Edit: I asked Kaida, and there were other SS people to use the ToO chat before her and OF, but they didn't end up staying.
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Wow ToO/SS history is amazing. :yes:

I think you should be the Unofficial SS Historian. Our own personal bookworm. :mrgreen:

Who was your first friend you made from the ToO or Chat?

Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

I'm not quite at bookworms level but I like to keep track of important events and statistics. :yes:

I'm not sure, actually. I would consider myself friends with most people on the ToO chat, but I really haven't posted regularly enough on the ToO itself to get to know people that way.