It is currently Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 312 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
 Post subject: Re: PennyBassett Fanfiction
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:19 pm 
Raspberry Ripple

Wow. WELL DONE.

“You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” –C.S. Lewis
“No one ever made a difference by being like everyone else.” P.T. Barnum

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:27 pm 
Raspberry Ripple

When will the next chapter be out. It's s really good story and you've got me excited for the next chapter.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:07 pm 
Raspberry Ripple

Pff Idk to be honest. I'm pretty focused on my book rn and not 100% sure where I wanna go with this story. Someone probably read it, but I did post the next chapter and took it down the next day cuz it was, I guess more mature than I usually post. So I don't know. It's also hard to know how many people read what I post and what their comfort level is. So, if anyone has suggestions or opinions on that it'd be helpful.

"Let me get this straight. I bet all those non-friends of yours try to embarrass you about your love for that stuff, right? So, you almost feel like you have to hide your treasures away and can only take them out in secret on rainy days when your mom goes to the store to get more liver and nobody is around to berate your sensitive spirit. Is that what you’re saying?" -Jay Smouse

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:17 am 
Vanilla

I saw that chapter and (as an aspiring writer myself) thought it was written rather well. the only thing I thought was a bit too intense was having a character 'killed off'. i think, alternatively, you could just have them hurt like the other person, they then go though some trauma because of the event and have them maybe shut out their 'other half', who's trying to work out how to help. you could try it with the other person too, with the family supporting them. I think the maturity of the 'action' scenes depends on how serious the subject is, and I think the idea of a story where Christians are being 'labelled' is an intriguing one. I love where your series has been going, and i hope you do write the rest at some point.

Sorry about the vagueness, i didn't want to reveal what happen in that chapter because 1, it's your story, and 2, it might upset/anger fans of those characters, and i wouldn't want to be the cause of an arguement.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:33 am 
Raspberry Ripple

Okay that's helps a lot! Thank you! Those are fantastic suggestions.

"Let me get this straight. I bet all those non-friends of yours try to embarrass you about your love for that stuff, right? So, you almost feel like you have to hide your treasures away and can only take them out in secret on rainy days when your mom goes to the store to get more liver and nobody is around to berate your sensitive spirit. Is that what you’re saying?" -Jay Smouse

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:53 pm 
Vanilla

That's alright. I've been thinking of writing some of my own Odyssey fanfiction ideas down myself.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:52 pm 
Cookies & Creme

djchatswithu wrote:
I saw that chapter and (as an aspiring writer myself) thought it was written rather well. the only thing I thought was a bit too intense was having a character 'killed off'. i think, alternatively, you could just have them hurt like the other person, they then go though some trauma because of the event and have them maybe shut out their 'other half', who's trying to work out how to help. you could try it with the other person too, with the family supporting them. I think the maturity of the 'action' scenes depends on how serious the subject is, and I think the idea of a story where Christians are being 'labelled' is an intriguing one. I love where your series has been going, and i hope you do write the rest at some point.

Sorry about the vagueness, i didn't want to reveal what happen in that chapter because 1, it's your story, and 2, it might upset/anger fans of those characters, and i wouldn't want to be the cause of an arguement.

I would actually disagree. Since it's a fanfic I believe that it can go to places that AIO would never go. AIO has killed of many characters
(Mitch kinda, Mrs. Kendall, The Cancer girl, etc..)

So I believe that killing off characters makes things more interesting. Not many people want to read a fanfic that is a basic AIO episode. Plus when you see a character die that's when you see the most character development. We see the most of Connie and Donna in episodes where people they know and love die. So just adding a lil disagreement. :)

“We all change. When you think about it, we’re all different people, all through our lives. And that’s okay, that’s good, you gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be. I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I swear. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.” - Matt Smith

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:40 am 
Vanilla

According to the writers, Karen was written specifically to be killed off, I suggested what I did because the character was a fan favourite (not one of my favourites, in case anyone thinks I was being biased in my suggestion), and I didn't want people accusing PennyBassett of deliberately killing off a fan favourite character.
i'm not against killing off charcters, I just didn't want to see any 'you killed them off because you don't like them' type comments against Penny. I was thinking if they were, for example, paralysed instead then it would still be serious enough to give the affect without any or as much back lash from fans of that character. I liked how the blackgaard and novocom sagas had someone (or rather, multiple people) in both die because of how intense they were.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:19 pm 
Peanut Butter Cup

penny, if i could bring up something. i find that personally, it's hard to transitions from where the show currently is, to where i want my story to be. it's unnerving because as fans we're used to the show being a specific way, and as writers we have ideas that deviate just a little bit.
your writing is really good. you've got such a bold approach, turning your ideas into a story with actual plot lines, it's awesome that you can deliever.

but basically, yeah, we're used to having the characters face everyday-ish things, and it seems odd to see such a change. i hope this helps in some way.

I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us - Romans 8:18

It’s not enough to be against something. You have to be for something better. – Tony Stark

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:45 pm 
Raspberry Ripple

Okay, I think I understand what you're saying. To clarify, since there's so much slice of life in the show, having fanfiction that's more dramatic feels too different?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:15 pm 
Peanut Butter Cup

PennyBassett wrote:
Okay, I think I understand what you're saying. To clarify, since there's so much slice of life in the show, having fanfiction that's more dramatic feels too different?

sort of. it's just a huge jump from where we are and what we're accustomed with, to the threat of global persecution in your story. or any major impact or effect. for example, i would be v happy if jason got married, and i drew up a story where he does (over the course of about a year) but writing it is difficult because i almost don't want to conflict with what they writers will give us in future episodes. at the same time, there are things i'd like to hear on the show. (give jason a wife, u cowards) - i'm joking.

it could also be that aio is a show that has seemingly changed a ton, and not at all since its beginning (in style, at least.)

definitely keep writing! if this comes across as sounding too negative, i've failed. your stories have generally been more mature than what the writers give us, and that isn't necessarily a bad thing! we have had some mature episodes (and sagas, and those tend to be among the best.) you've also written the original characters well. however, if you don't have motivation, go on and take a break. sometimes it's good to just write what you're most motivated to. and i know firsthand, balancing both fanfic and original content is haaaard.

sorry for the rambling. :)

I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us - Romans 8:18

It’s not enough to be against something. You have to be for something better. – Tony Stark

Last edited by GJFH on Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:35 pm 
Raspberry Ripple

Yes it is! If it helps I'm kind of thinking of this story as an AU starting from a certain point in the show. Post Up in the Air I think. Thanks for the feedback! These help a lot!

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 312 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16