PennyBassett Fanfiction

A place to discuss your own works. Whether they may be literary, visual art, or music pieces, this is the place to show off your stuff!

Upcoming Series?

Eugene and Katrina's Infertility
14%
What happened to Buck between GRC and TTTB
29%
Early 2000s (Trent, Mandy, Marvin, etc.) kids in high school
43%
Something with the Barclays
14%

Total votes: 7

Kungfunaomi
Cookies & Creme

PennyBassett wrote:Well, Idk, that kinda happened with my Buck and Jules storyline. It became boring to write and I hadn't outlined well. I completely relate to the love for one-shots. There's a lot less pressure with those. And yeah, Novacom is just kind of a mess as a story. I don't think those writers had outlined very well either... haha. Always outline on big sagas! I'd say fanfiction is really more about the author than the readers. I write fanfics cause it's fun, and then people read them, but I'd still write fanfiction if no one read it. So, do whatever you like doing best. The other thing with fanfiction is that it doesn't matter what kind you write because it's not a big deal. It's not a career choice, and perfection isn't necessary.
Maybe passion is key then, which I don't have for this story unfortunately. It's all technical. So maybe I'll quit this one.
Thanks for your help!
Shadow
Peach Cobbler

Have you posted that story on Soda Shop, if not, where is it cause I want to read it pls tell me.
I'm Monty Whittaker's greatest fan. member of the K.R.E
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Kungfunaomi
Cookies & Creme

Agent.MontyWhittaker wrote:Have you posted that story on Soda Shop, if not, where is it cause I want to read it pls tell me.
It's not out, I have a plot outline and then a couple chapters.
Shadow
Peach Cobbler

Ohh, pls post what you have tho because it sounds interesting,
BTW, this is my 900th post yeahhhhhhh.
I'm Monty Whittaker's greatest fan. member of the K.R.E
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Katie10
Raspberry Ripple

Yes! This is so good I was behind reading so I got to read it all and not wait! This is so good!
PennyBassett
Fudge Marble

Chapter 24
"Jules is still coming over, tonight right?" Katrina asked after telling me the next steps in pasta-making. I did as she said and turned the burner on high under a pot of soon to be boiling water. I shook my head.
"We're meeting at Whit's End instead. Mr. Whittaker has a new adventure he wants us to try."
"Well, that'll be fun."
"Mhm. What time will you be home tonight?"
"Um... I'm not sure. Ten maybe?" she said, searching through her handbag.
"Eugene! Did you grab the tickets?" She walked out of the kitchen, her high heels clicking on the wood flooring. I sat back down to my homework, as Eugene walked- or rather limped into the kitchen. He was off crutches, but not yet free from pain, so limping balanced out the what he described as ‘dull stabbing.’
Katrina and I both advised him to stay on crutches longer, however, it seemed important that he not be on crutches when he attended the banquet he and Katrina were going to tonight, nor when Eliza came home. I respected him for that, self-focused as it was. Though, Katrina says he's always had trouble feeling like a real man, so I let it slide without discussion. After all, he deserved a little authority after how we had treated him over the months prior.
Katrina joined Eugene, and putting her phone into her handbag and snapping it shut, she turned to me.
"How do we look?"
I glanced between the two. Eugene wore a black suit and a blue bow tie. Katrina had a light pink tulle skirt accompanied by a white, long-sleeved, lace top. Her hair was pinned with lilies. The couple looked lovely, and I was proud to call them my foster parents.
"Great," I said simply.

------

I was finishing my pasta and had just become engulfed in a good book when a knock came from the front door. It startled me, the noise penetrating the silence I had become accustomed to. I got up thinking it might be Jules. Taking a deep breath, I calmly walked to the door and opened it, looking at the ground while doing so. When I looked up-
"Hello, there m'boy."
Skint.
I didn't know what to do for a moment. I stood there, completely stunned. My first inclination was to believe I was dreaming. I had dreamed of Mr. Skint coming back. When I realized that I was, in fact, awake, I tried to take in air, avoiding his eyes.
"W-what are you doin' here?" I forced out. My words felt strangling.
"I've been trying to find you. You've grown up," he said, briefly putting his hand on my shoulder. I flinched away, my heart threatening to collapse in on itself. This was the man responsible for every nightmare.
"I um- I brought you something."
"What is it," I asked bluntly, keeping my eyes fixated on the floor. He slowly pulled a small item out of his jacket pocket. I knew what it was before he put it into my hand. A small glass dog. He had bought it for me the first time we went to New York City. I was seven. I remember seeing the delicate item in the window of a shop and nearly begging him to buy it for me. I turned it over in my hand, becoming reacquainted with the smooth, tan painted glass every second my gaze stayed fixed on it. It was almost surprising. In the year and a half since I’d seen Mr. Skint last, my vision of him had changed so much. The rose-tinted glasses had shattered long ago. Mr. Skint had been my abuser. He led me into a terrible lifestyle that landed me in jail. That was it. Had I really forgotten the good things we’d done together? It all came back in sight of that dog. The fishing trips. Guitar lessons. Long drives, gazing at American sights, claiming that one day, we’d conquer it all.
But he hurt me.
“I have to call the police,” I said firmly.
A mournful look glossed over his blue eyes.
“No. I’m sorry.” He pulled his hand out of his other pocket and grabbed the back of my neck. I fought for a moment.
Then I couldn’t breathe.
Then it was dark.
"Let me get this straight. I bet all those non-friends of yours try to embarrass you about your love for that stuff, right? So, you almost feel like you have to hide your treasures away and can only take them out in secret on rainy days when your mom goes to the store to get more liver and nobody is around to berate your sensitive spirit. Is that what you’re saying?" -Jay Smouse
Kathy0
Cookies & Creme

O_O CLIFTHANGERRRRRRRRRRR AHHHHH! This is soooooo good. *eyes are glued to the pages*
Jo March
Raspberry Ripple

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ditto what Kathy0 said!!!!
Jo March
"There is no such thing as impossible. The word itself says I'm possible."-Audrey Hepburn
“You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” –C.S. Lewis
“No one ever made a difference by being like everyone else.” P.T. Barnum
Katie10
Raspberry Ripple

Oh my goodness! AGGGGGG DITTO KATHY0 AND JO MARCH!!!!!!
PennyBassett
Fudge Marble

Lots of dittoing haha
"Let me get this straight. I bet all those non-friends of yours try to embarrass you about your love for that stuff, right? So, you almost feel like you have to hide your treasures away and can only take them out in secret on rainy days when your mom goes to the store to get more liver and nobody is around to berate your sensitive spirit. Is that what you’re saying?" -Jay Smouse
Kungfunaomi
Cookies & Creme

PennyBassett wrote:Lots of dittoing haha
Ditto. Definitely lots. :D
Jo March
Raspberry Ripple

LOL!!! You guys...
Jo March
"There is no such thing as impossible. The word itself says I'm possible."-Audrey Hepburn
“You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” –C.S. Lewis
PennyBassett
Fudge Marble

Okay! Since I posted the last chapter this thread has reached 10,000 clicks! \:D/ Pretty cool! Thanks for reading!
Here's chapter 25!
The first thing I heard was a car engine. It was running steadily. Probably on a highway. I opened my eyes, half expecting these sounds to fade once I had woken up all the way. How dreams sometimes do. But it didn’t. I was in a car, lying down. I tried to sit up but quickly realized that my wrists were tied together. Using my leg as support, I pulled myself up. My head was throbbing. As my senses adjusted, I could look out the window clearly. Yes. A highway. Not one in Odyssey. I knew Skint was driving, but the sight of him still gave me chills. For me, being trapped in a small area with anyone was scary. But with Skint? It was maddening. I caught his eye in the backseat mirror.
“How’re you feeling?”
“I’m not answering your questions.”
“Listen. This- this doesn’t have to be a hostage situation. I want you to ride up here with me. I want to learn about you.”’
There was a part of me that wanted the same.
“Then untie me.”
He was silent for a moment, then pulled over and did as I asked.
I slipped into the front passenger seat, twisting my burning wrists. I felt around my pockets.
“Where’s my phone?”
“In my pocket.”
“You said this wasn’t a hostage situation.”
“I said I didn’t want it to be a hostage situation. However, your defiance is keeping it one… you um- you still play guitar?”
“No.”
“Why not? You were-”
“Reminds me of you.”
“Ah. You went to Juvie?”
“Yes.”
“How long?”
“Ten months.”
“Was it-“
“Hell.”
“Miss Katrina’s treating you well?”
I held back a scoff. Was Miss Katrina treating me well?
“Why would you care?”
“I worry about you…”
“Are you worried now?! If you cared, you wouldn’t have kidnapped me!”
“You were gonna rat, boy. You know what we have to do.”
“Wh- what? So, you have me back now! Good for you! I won’t do what you say! I will run the second I get the chance.”
He swerved the car to the right, making my stomach lurch forward. He parked with the same aggression.
“GIVE ME ONE GOOD REASON NOT TO.”
Not to…? I heard a click. Then saw the gun. He was gripping it furiously. My heart pounded, then ached. I opened my mouth- but my phone’s ringer cut me off. His eyes bolted and locked with mine.
“Who is that?”
“It’s Jules. I’m supposed to be at Whit’s End.”
He dug it out of his pocket and shoved it to me.
“Tell her you had a change of plans.”
I shakily took in a few breaths, then answered.
“Hey Jewel.”
“Hello.”
“Hey, sorry, I couldn’t make it. I just need to take a drive. With Eliza and everything.”
“Sure. I understand.”
“So, I’ll call you tomorrow, okay?”
“Sure. See ya.”
“Great. Bye.”
I hung up and put it in my pocket before Mr. Skint could protest. He sighed.
“Good.” He’d put the gun away. He took a deep breath, rubbing his temples.
“I just want things back the way they were.”
“Why? I figured you’d have found a new punching bag by now.” He seemed genuinely hurt by the comment, then unsure how to speak for a moment.
“I- I always cared about you.”
“…”
“How badly did I hurt you?” It was a sickening question. How to answer?
“I um… I have nightmares.”
He didn’t say anything. I went on.
“Eugene and Katrina do all they can. I’ve tried counseling. It was getting better… then Eugene and Katrina were having problems, and they came back… scars. Mostly on my back. I can’t have my shirt off in public.”
He didn’t speak for a moment. Taking it all in. Space had given us both time to think.
“I’m so sorry.”
What was I supposed to say? He started the car again.
Kungfunaomi
Cookies & Creme

PennyBassett wrote:This doesn’t have to be a hostage situation.
Ditto. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: AHAHAHA I'm just finding random stuff to ditto now.
YES! YES! I'm on the edge of my seat!
Kathy0
Cookies & Creme

Ditto. Just ditto. *runs around screaming*
Katie10
Raspberry Ripple

Aggg! Don't listen to him!!! Ahhhh! Ditto ditto!aggggg
Jo March
Raspberry Ripple

ARGHHHH!!!!!!!! WHY DID YOU DO THIS TO ME!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! THIS IS SOOOOOO GOOOOODDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jo March
PennyBassett
Fudge Marble

Bit of a longer chapter here!
Chapter 26!
I thought I was strong. I thought I would be strong. But to be honest I’d never tried to fight Mr. Skint. The only moment of resistance that I can remember was- well the first time it happened. I think I was- I don’t know, nine? Yeah. Yeah, I was in third grade. Or I would’ve been if I were in school. I have a temper. I always have. Whether it’s genetic, or from lack of love, or something I picked up from Skint I’ll never know…. Maybe it’s all three. It’s terrible how much Eugene and Katrina still don’t know. I’ve only yelled at them two or three times. Mostly at Eugene.
It’s weird. I fought back once. He got angry at me. I don’t remember what for. And he hit me. I started crying, and when he hit me again, I tried to grab his wrist. It didn’t work. Of course, he was stronger than me. Maybe that was why. I knew I wasn’t strong enough, so why try? I realized that first “punishment” that fighting back only made him angrier, and only made it hurt more. But this time I’d be stronger. I was sixteen. Not nine. I could fight back if he tried to hurt me. And I was firm in that.
We drove for two more hours. With every mile, my anxiety built. I wanted nothing more than to wake up in my room back in Odyssey. Back in that beautiful house that I’d learned to take for granted. The one hope I hung onto was that I’d called Jules. See, we’d set up a system. A sort of code in case anyone was ever in trouble and couldn’t explicitly say so. If I was ever in trouble I’d call her “Jewel” in the first sentence I said. If she understood she’d say “Hello” back. She understood. Another perk: So that they’d always know where I was, Eugene and Katrina got an app where that tracks my phone. I took comfort in that. Everything would be fine. Eventually we’d stop at a hotel for the night. That’d give the police enough time to get there and save me. I just had to wait.
By the time we made it to our destination it was one in the morning. We’d crossed over the border of Illinois, which made me wonder if we were going to Chicago. If we were, we didn’t make it there that night. The hotel we stayed in was nice, and once we were comfortable behind the barrier of a locked door, he explained that he was making “honest” money now. “In sales,” he said. What that meant precisely I didn’t care, but the likelihood of prostitution sent a sick feeling to my stomach.
I looked around the room. Two beds sat to the left of the door, which locked from the inside. I thought about running. There was a kitchen area farther back, and a bathroom before that. I sat down on the bed. The orange and white fabric bringing a little comfort. My heart was still faster than usual. I briefly wondered if Skint would be stupid enough to leave me here while he went into the bathroom or something. I took time to think through my escape. If he made the mistake of taking a shower, I could get out. I’d grab my phone from his leather jacket, which he’d thrown on a chair in the corner after we’d walked in. Somehow being quiet, I’d then unlock the door, and just like that, I’d be free. I’d take the stairs. Whether it was quicker than the elevator or not, I wasn’t sure. But it seemed faster in my mind. After that, I’d just run. Keep running, hide, get as far away as I could. Then eventually I’d maybe find a crowded area to hide, where I’d wait for the police to come. I could also wait until he was asleep.
Skint threw some clothes in the closet, and then turned to me. Dragging over a chair from the kitchen, he told me to sit in it.
“Why?”
“I can’t have you running off, now I can I?”
I thought about running right then, but of course, that’d ensure a chase scene. Was I faster than him now? I wasn’t when I was fourteen, but I’d gotten a lot stronger since then. If he was chasing me, I’d have to take the stairs, most of which I could jump. But one problem. I didn’t have my phone. It was too far away from where I stood. But I wouldn’t give in.
“I’m not doing what you say.”
“Yeah… I figured not.”
He fished some rope and duct tape out of his backpack, then came at me. Stepping forward, I drove my fist into his skull. I would not be a victim. Shocked by my rebellion and power, he went in for a hit himself. Ducking, I grabbed his wrist. This time, I’d be in control. I pushed him into the wall, those furious eyes still mocking me, despite my upper hand. NO! MAKE HIM PAY! I WILL BE IN CONTROL!
Let me have control.
My breath was caught in my throat. ‘What?’
Let me have control.
Tears blurring my vision, I let go.
‘Jesus. Help me to love,’ I quickly prayed, before I was thrown to the ground.
He hit me a few more times. I didn’t resist. He forced me into the chair where he secured my hands, feet, and upper body. Once I was successfully gagged, I’d never felt so trapped. Compared to now, of course, that was freedom, but at the time I felt almost helpless. But I had hope. Jesus was with me and I could feel Him. I just had to be patient. Before I knew it, I’d fallen asleep.
I sat in my office staring out the window, a root beer in my hand. Taking another sip, I appreciated what a peaceful evening it had been. Spring light beams were pouring in as the sun said its final goodbye for the day, showing affection through golden rays, which smiled from behind Odyssey’s mountains and trees. It was quiet in the station. Most everyone was there, with nothing to do, but drink root beer apparently. Some of the younger officers had been complaining about the lag in excitement over the past week, but I was enjoying it. It was strange. I usually hated it when I couldn’t work. Work was what I used to run from my memories. But I had started counselling recently, and it was working. I could actually take time to breathe and still feel physically alive.
My can began to feel lighter as the last bit of light disappeared under the oaks that outlined my daily view. I sighed.
“Sir,” Martin’s voice invaded the silence that’d I had been rather selfish with.
“Mhm?” I responded, my disinterest causing my finger to pluck at the tab of the can I hadn’t sipped from in a couple minutes.
“It’s Katrina Meltsner. She says Buck’s missing.”
“What?!”
“That’s what she said. Should I-”
“Do you have her on the phone?”
“Yeah. Right here.”
He handed me the smartphone, confusion tipping the edges of his brown pupils. I held the phone up to my ear,
“Katrina.”
I could hear her crying from the other side.
“Listen. I need you to calm down.”
“Okay. Okay. I-I’m sorry,” she whispered, panting.
“Alright. What happened? Buck is missing?”
“No. No he’s- I think he was kidnapped.”
“Why would you say that?”
“We have this- code. If someone isn’t safe and can’t say where they are because someone was there, we have different ways of addressing each other and- it’s not important. But Jules was supposed to meet Buck and he used the code.”
“Okay.”
“We also have a tracker on his phone.”
“Well, where is it?”
“Eugene’s checking it now… Illinois,” her voice cracked slightly, and sobs came back to her throat. I smashed the can in my right hand, and threw it in the trashcan at my feet. Taking a deep breath, I tried to calm her as well as myself down.
“Okay, okay. Can you two come to the station?”
“Yeah.”
“Great.”
The couple were escorted into my office about fifteen minutes later. At my suggestion, both concerned parents took a seat. I offered them root beer, but was quickly turned down. I got a coke for myself anyway. It was going to be a long night.
“Alright. Believe it or not, you two are under fortunate circumstances. You know where he- or at least his phone is.”
They nodded.
“So-”
“Could it be Mr. Skint?”
I sighed, knowing she’d bring it up.
“It could be. But that doesn’t mean it is. If we’re thinking practically-”
“If we’re thinking practically, it’s very likely that’s precisely who took him. Why are we not, to borrow the colloquialism, out there looking for him!?” Eugene interrupted.
“That’s what we’re going to do. Is there any other information I need to know?”
“I don’t think so…”
“Okay. Then we can leave.”
Martin and I took a car, leading the way. Eugene drove between to more police cars. With Eugene’s phone up front, I watched as the small amount of light Odyssey peacefully shone was left behind us. We drove for three hours. Katrina called me about four times to ask where he was, or how much longer, what did I know. I knew nothing. I knew her kid was probably in danger. But how would that have calmed her down? I did my best to calm her questions with non-answers, and kept my eyes on the road, praying he wasn’t hurt.
Katie10
Raspberry Ripple

Ahh so good! This is awesome!
Jo March
Raspberry Ripple

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to see where you take this!
Jo March