PennyBassett Fanfiction

A place to discuss your own works. Whether they may be literary, visual art, or music pieces, this is the place to show off your stuff!

Upcoming Series?

Eugene and Katrina's Infertility
14%
What happened to Buck between GRC and TTTB
29%
Early 2000s (Trent, Mandy, Marvin, etc.) kids in high school
43%
Something with the Barclays
14%

Total votes: 7

PennyBassett
Fudge Marble

Here's the next one!

Chapter 14
I stared out the passenger seat window of Connie’s car. I wondered how many times my life could be ruined. It was almost comical. Another question. If God loves me so much… why would he make so many terrible things happen to me? Connie nor I said anything on the way there. What would we say? Elizabeth stayed silent as well. She was never the first to speak. It didn’t take long to get to Connie’s house. When we got there, I opened the passenger’s door and got Eliza and I's bags out of the back.
“Ready to come inside?” I asked her, as she struggled to unbuckle her seatbelt.
“Where’s Daddy?” Was the only thing she said.
I didn’t answer. What was I supposed to say?

We walked into Connie’s house. Jules came from the living room and we hugged. “You heard then?”
She nodded. “We need to talk.”
“Okay.”

We went upstairs to Jules’ room. She sat on the bed.
“I don’t know how to start… I’m afraid you’ll be upset.”
“Well this day’s been pretty terrible so far. What’s going on?”
“Connie and I were talking last night. I asked her some of the questions we had been talking about…”
“Okay.”
“And um- I asked Jesus to come into my heart." Tears glistened in her eyes when they locked with mine.
“You’re a Christian?”
“Yeah. Are you upset? I- I didn’t have time to talk to you- “
“I’m not upset. You didn’t have to ask me.”
“Okay.”
“Are you happy?” I asked.
“Heh. Not happy… it’s better than happy. I don’t know, joy? Yeah. I’m really joyful. And- and I just want to tell everyone about Jesus and- heh. It's hard to explain,” she laughed.
“That’s- really cool.”
“Yeah. It is. So where are you with the whole God thing? I’ve been trying to figure out- “
“I don’t know. Honestly… I- I don’t know. With Eugene and everything… it’s just. Confusing.”
“Yeah. I’m really sorry by the way.”
“Huh. You know, I thought it was gonna get easier. I was living with a good family. I wasn’t afraid of the people in authority over me. But this. I feel like I’m dreaming most of the time.”
“Hm. Can- heh. Sorry, I’ve never asked anyone this before... Can I pray for you?”
“Actually, that’d be really great.”
"Let me get this straight. I bet all those non-friends of yours try to embarrass you about your love for that stuff, right? So, you almost feel like you have to hide your treasures away and can only take them out in secret on rainy days when your mom goes to the store to get more liver and nobody is around to berate your sensitive spirit. Is that what you’re saying?" -Jay Smouse
Katie10
Raspberry Ripple

You say the right things for all of the characters I like it a lot.
Kungfunaomi
Cookies & Creme

OK one tip: you have a couple of descriptors of action to break up the chunk of dialogue between Buck and Jules, but at the end there you might want to throw in a couple more. Other than that, awesome! Hooray for Jules!
PennyBassett
Fudge Marble

Yeah... I didn't spend as much time on this chapter as the others. I wanted to get it out of the way, and also wasn't feeling super inspired to write more action. I might go back and add to it if I get inspired though.
"Let me get this straight. I bet all those non-friends of yours try to embarrass you about your love for that stuff, right? So, you almost feel like you have to hide your treasures away and can only take them out in secret on rainy days when your mom goes to the store to get more liver and nobody is around to berate your sensitive spirit. Is that what you’re saying?" -Jay Smouse
Katie10
Raspberry Ripple

I looked at this and has saw you posted and I said YES A NEW CHAPTER! And then I said awww. :lol:
Jo March
Raspberry Ripple

Oh. My. Gosh. This is so well done. I think you are doing a really good job with it!!!

I do agree with Naomi, you do need a few things to break up the talking, like descriptions of the characters or scene.
Jo March
"There is no such thing as impossible. The word itself says I'm possible."-Audrey Hepburn
“You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” –C.S. Lewis
“No one ever made a difference by being like everyone else.” P.T. Barnum
PennyBassett
Fudge Marble

Chapter 15!
Enjoy!
Our time at Connie’s seemed to last forever. I was put in Connie’s guest room, and Eliza stayed in Jules’ room. That first day we mainly sat around waiting for something to happen. Katrina, Eugene, Mr. Whittaker, and Renee had agreed to meet and talk things over. And we didn’t have anything to do but sit around and wait for a phone call. A text. Anything. It was like waiting for some terrible news. Like a death count after the disaster. The day probably would’ve been more boring if Jules hadn’t been there. But it was hard to keep ourselves entertained. We usually went out and did stuff. But it was too cold to go outside, and we didn’t feel like going anywhere else. That left us with card games.
“Go fish.” Jules sighed, biting her nail.
I drew a card. Eliza sat on the couch, holding her bear, and looking out the window.
“Are you sure you don’t want to play, liz?”
She shook her head.
“No, I don’t want to play. I don’t want to play anything today. I’m sad and I don’t know why. I want to know why we’re here! Are we staying here for a long, long time?”
I looked at Jules, who was trying not to giggle at Eliza’s accent. I smiled a little. She was cute, but her question was valid. Unfortunately, I didn’t have an answer.
“I don’t know. Miss Katrina and Eugene are working through some problems today… so we’ll- “
My phone’s ringing interrupted my sentence. I looked at the screen
‘Call from Katrina (Mom)’
(I added the “mom” after realizing that if I was to get into an accident, whoever found me should probably know who my parent was.)
I answered immediately.
“Hey. What happened?” I asked, putting down my hand of cards.
“Hello. Um- right. Sorry, I’m tired.” She drew in a shaky breath.
“You’re crying… that’s not a good sign.”
“Hm. Yeah. We’re ah- we’re separating.”
I couldn’t say anything. What was there to say?
“Buck. Buck, I- I’m sorry.”
I lowered the phone briefly, then shaking my head slightly brought it back to my ear.
“No. No, it’s- um- it is what it is…” my voice trailed off, my throat restraining me from speaking further. I drew a breath, doing my best to not let the tears that were filling my eyes fall down my cheeks. I didn’t want Jules or Eliza to see how weak I really was. Taking a breath, I forced out,
“Where’s Eugene staying?”
“Whit and Jason’s.”
“…Okay. Do- uh- do you think you’re gonna get back together?”
“…I don’t know. Are you okay to stay at Connie’s?”
“For how long?” I wanted to see my mother again.
“For at least tonight and tomorrow night. It’d just help a lot.”
I wanted to protest. I didn’t.
“Okay. Yeah. That’s fine.”
“Okay, thank you.”
I hung up and felt Jules’ hand on my shoulder. I didn’t know how long it had been there.
“You okay?”
“Not really.” I tried to smile. “Eugene’s gonna call me.”
Last edited by PennyBassett on Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jo March
Raspberry Ripple

OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!! TALK ABOUT SUSPENSE!!!!!!!!!!! You are doing such a good job with this!!!

Oh andddddd don't you mean chapter 15?
Last edited by Jo March on Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jo March
"There is no such thing as impossible. The word itself says I'm possible."-Audrey Hepburn
“You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” –C.S. Lewis
Katie10
Raspberry Ripple

Weeeeeee heeee This is great!
PennyBassett
Fudge Marble

And here we are then! The next chapter! Oh, I am getting so excited about this series!
Enjoy!

Chapter 16
I sat on a chair in the corner of my borrowed room, a space in Mr. Whittaker’s home. I had to call Buck. I was terrified. Reluctantly, I retrieved my phone from my pocket and found his contact.
‘Buck (Son)’ (I included the “son” portion, prior to thinking that if I was to experience an accident of some kind, the unfortunate person who was to find me and my cellular device, would know who to phone.)
I tapped call and held the phone up to my ear.
One ring… two rings… the waiting was maddening.
Three rings… an answer:
“Oh my- What were you thinking?! Do you have any idea how upset she is?! Seriously, what is your problem?!”
“…I was hoping you’d come fishing with me.”

“It’s a bit cold for fishing.”
Buck’s voice shoved me back into reality. I turned to see him, already red-nosed, and walking down the dock, pockets dug deep into his winter coat. I turned back to the solid water, feeling the bite of ice- or was it shame?
“If you would begin by applying a worm to both poles… I was never very good at that…”
Buck stood there a moment, then maintaining suspiciously fierce eye contact, knelt, and pierced two worms with their hooks.
“Thank you. You know, it’s hardly ice fishing if the ice is so thin you can break it with a rock,” I laughed a bit, seeing he’d noticed the small hole I’d made, in the ice near where I sat.
“Though, I didn’t have a screw anyw- ”
“Please shut up.”
“Wh- “
“Just shut up.”
We sat in silence for a few minutes before he said anything else.
“It’s weird.”
“What is?”
“I don’t think I’ve ever been angrier in my life.”
He turned and looked at me. I searched his eyes.
“Why?”
“Huh. I don’t know! Maybe because you hurt- ” he stopped himself as his eyes filled with tears. He looked away, eyebrows cutting deeper into his brow.
“Who?”
“My mother. You hurt my mother and made her cry and abandoned her,” his voice ominously shook with pain. Just pain.
“I’m sorry.”
He sniffed, then chuckling fiercely suddenly shouted, “You’re such an idiot! I don’t care if you’re sorry! I don’t want you to apologize, I want you to hurt! I want you to feel the same amount of pain she does- because until you do, and- and you can get on your knees and beg for her to except you despite how thoroughly messed up and childish and guilty you are- I will never forgive you.”
Before he could stand up, I grasped his arm.
“Wait. You’re right.”
“What? I’m- ”
“Stop.”
“Wh- ”
“Just, stop. Listen.”
He sat back down.
“You’re right. I am childish. I’m childish because I can’t- I can’t even tell you…”
“Tell me what?”
I took a deep breath, mustering the courage to continue.
“You have to understand. I lost my parents when I was seven. I went to live with strangers. I started college at the age of fourteen. I was very, very alone- ”
“Is this some sort of competition? Cause- ”
“No. No, it is not a competition. It’s a confession.”
“…okay,” he whispered, not knowing where the conversation was headed.
“Buck, I drank when I felt alone. I drank when I was sad…. Or angry. All the time…” I drew in a breath, breaking eye contact and remembering for a moment, the evil companion, the only friend I could turn to for most of my college life.
“You- you were an alcoholic?” His voice stung.
“Yes.” I still couldn’t look him in the eyes.
“Does Katrina know?”
“Yes. But this isn’t about Katrina and I. Buck, this is about you,” I looked up, as his eyes locked to the corner of his vision.
“I’m sorry if I’ve ruined your vision of me.”
“You already did that.”
“But I’m worried about you. You have no idea how much I worry about you,” I sighed, resting my head in my hand. “I don’t want you to end up like I did.”
“Then you shouldn’t’ve abandoned me.”
“Buck, I haven’t abandoned you.”
“Haven’t you? Did you stop and think about what’ll happen to me if you and Katrina divorce? I will go to another foster home. Eliza will go to another foster home. Did you think-”
“Of course, I did! It’s all I can think about! And I will never forgive myself if that happens. But if it does, I just want you to make better decisions than I did.”
“Why?”
“Because I know how much it hurts.”
A few tears fell from his eyes before they were quickly wiped away.
“H-how did you make it stop?” He sniffed.
“I didn’t. I asked Jesus to.”
He suddenly stood up.
“I have to go.”
I didn’t stop him that time. He left his fishing pole on the dock and walked away.
Last edited by PennyBassett on Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kungfunaomi
Cookies & Creme

DAZ WHAT I WANTED \:D/
Hey BTW you need to look at your chapter numbers because we went from chapter 14 to 11 and 12?
PennyBassett
Fudge Marble

Haha yeah as I was publishing the latest one I thought we were at 15, but then I saw 11...? Idk. I'll fix it.
Jo March
Raspberry Ripple

LOL. PENNY THIS IS SO AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jo March
Katie10
Raspberry Ripple

Oh my this is awesome
PennyBassett
Fudge Marble

:lol: I love it when people fangirl over my work!
Okay, this next chapter is really long (Okay, long for my fanfiction) so that's exciting! I'm also very excited about it. It was really fun to write! :mrgreen:

Chapter 17
I shivered as my numb feet stumbled over familiar Odyssey sidewalk. I didn’t want to think. I didn’t want to feel anymore. My heart felt as disconnected as my hands that had dug themselves into my pockets as far as possible. I just kept walking. I had nowhere to go. I couldn’t go home. I didn’t want to go back to Connie’s. So, I kept walking. It was nearly dark when I reached Odyssey Community Church. From the newly- renovated building, I could hear a cello’s music. I didn’t recognize the tune, and I was cold. On the spur of the moment, I decided to go in. Just to warm up.
Wooden doors creaked shut behind me as I entered the dimly lit auditorium. The cello music came from the stage. I strained to see who was playing. Penny? It was. Wooton sat nearby holding a microphone. After what I now know was an intro, he began to sing,
“I’m the one who held the nail. It was cold between my fingertips. I’ve hidden in the garden. I’ve denied you with my very lips. God, I fall down to my knees with a hammer in my hand. You look at me. Arms open. Forgiven. Forgiven. Child, there is freedom from all of it. Say goodbye, to every sin. You are forgiven.”
‘Child, there is freedom from all of it.’ Those words seemed to ring in my ears as the song continued.
“I’ve done things I wish I hadn’t done. I’ve seen things I wish I hadn’t seen. Just the thought of your amazing grace. And I cry, ‘Jesus forgive me!’ God, I fall down to my knees with a hammer in my hand. You look at me. Arms open. Forgiven. Forgiven. Child, there is freedom from all of it. Say goodbye, to every sin. You are forgiven.”
I walked up and sat on the steps going up to the stage. Completely lost in thought.
“Buck?” I looked up see Wooton sitting on the edge of the stage.
“Oh. Sorry, I didn’t mean to interrupt.”
“No, it’s okay.”
“I didn’t know you sang. Your voice is incredible.”
“Thanks. It’s just a hobby.”
“Wooton and I started collaborating a little before we got married,” Penny said, joining him.
“Hm.”
“Buck, are-are doin’ okay?” Wooton asked concerningly.
“Honestly? No. I’m not.”
“You wanna talk about it?”
“Hm. I don’t really know where to start? Um… I feel angry. And really hurt. And I’m- scared. Eugene and Katrina are having problems, and depending on how that turns out… I could be moved to another foster home… which happens to be my worst fear. Though, now… I don’t know. I don’t think I can trust Eugene anymore.”
“Hm. One more man to hurt you,” Penny commented.
“Yep.”
“What’re you gonna do?”
“I can’t do anything,” I said, almost angry that Wooton would even suggest the situation was in my control.
As if he read my mind, Wooton sighed, “So the situation’s completely out of your control.”
“Yeah.”
“You’re right,” Penny said, “I mean, isn’t it all in God’s control anyway?”
“Please. Don’t talk about God. I-”
“Why are you running from him?”
“I’m not,” I answered immediately.
“But you’re avoiding him. Do you believe God exists?”
It was a question I’d asked myself before. For years I hadn’t given much thought to God. I’d heard about him. A judgmental being in the sky who hated non-Christians. Or a glimmer of hope for people who couldn’t face the reality of death. A word slapped on the end of ‘Oh mys.’
Then I came to Odyssey. I heard about God from someone who actually believed in him. Not only that, but she was joyful and kind, and forgiving. And she promised to pray for me. Not because she felt obligated. Because she wanted to. Then there was….
“Jules…became a Christian the other day. It’s weird. She’s like a different person. I don’t know. It’s harder to believe she changed for no reason. So yeah. I guess I do.”
“But you’re running.”
I thought a moment. I was running. Why? ‘Oh. That’s it.’
“I don’t want to get hurt again. My youth pastor once said that God is like a father. If that’s true, then I don’t want him.”
Penny sighed, her green eyes holding profound sympathy.
“Buck. God created you. He knows and loves every inch of you. He’s seen everything you’ve gone through, and wants nothing more than for you to come to him so he can heal you.”
I pushed away a heavy tear, I hadn’t realized had fallen.
“But after all I’ve done… I’ve ruined people’s lives.”
“That’s why we have Jesus. He felt every bit of shame you have when he took your place. And he’s ready to forgive you.”
“What if he lets me down?”
Wooton cleared his throat.
“Buck, my mom was a drug addict. When I was eleven, I tried to commit suicide. It’s been eighteen years since my father told me he loves me. But not once has Jesus let me down. I am here for a reason, and despite the terrible things I’ve gone through, He’s always faithful. Jesus has helped me forgive the unforgivable. Find recovery from mental illness. Live an incredible life despite my past.”
Wooton. The last person you’d expect to have issues. He found peace. Could I find that peace? It was so attractive, but I’d been avoiding it for so long. I took a deep breath, the reality of what I was about to do accelerating my heart beat.
“Okay. What do I do?”
“Give your life to him. You have to ask for forgiveness.”
“O-okay. Then um- will you pray with me?”
“Of course.” They nodded.
I folded my hands, closed my eyes, and broke down into sobs. Hot, unending tears streamed down my cheeks. It had been so long since I'd let myself cry. I bit my folded knuckles, as Wooton put his hand on my shoulder.
“Oh God,” I cried. My heart aching for him. “Forgive me. I- I’m sorry. I want to give you my life. I want to follow you. Please, come into my heart…. I want to start healing.”
Kungfunaomi
Cookies & Creme

OK so why is it that girls, at some point in their lives, have to fangirl? What is this phenomena? It is so out of character for me! Or maybe not...?
Either way, dude that is a neat chapter. I mean gal. Heh. Now I'm self conscious. Not gonna flip out. :jason
PennyBassett
Fudge Marble

Kungfunaomi wrote:OK so why is it that girls, at some point in their lives, have to fangirl? What is this phenomena? It is so out of character for me!:jason
Same! I'm normally very calm and I'm far from an average teen girl. But I really just can't help myself when it comes to some things. (Namely the Meltsners, your fanfiction, Peter Capaldi, and Martin Freeman's acting skills)
Jo March
Raspberry Ripple

DUDE. PennyBassett, you did SUCH A GOOD JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gah, I have tears!!!!
Jo March
PennyBassett
Fudge Marble

Another chapter so soon! \:D/ I finished this one in less than a day. (Don't worry, it's still good)

Chapter 17
I rushed up to our house. The cold didn’t bother me anymore! Up three steps, and to the door! Laughing, I rang the doorbell, not caring if she wasn’t awake. ‘Oh, this house,’ I thought. ‘The Meltsners house! What joy! Thank you, Jesus! Thank you, Jesus! Jesus is King!’
The door finally opened, and a weary Katrina emerged from inside.
“Hey, Buck.”
“Can I come in? It’s cold.”
“Oh. Sure. Just take your shoes off…”
I walked in and closed the door behind me. The place was sort of a mess. The bowl from the ice cream I was eating days ago was still sitting on the coffee table in the living room. A few blankets were left on the floor, and I could tell nothing had been swept, vacuumed, or dusted.
As I took off my shoes I hesitantly asked, “Are you okay? You look like you just woke up, and like you haven’t slept in days.”
“Hm? Sorry. Um, no I’m fine. I meant to clean up… I don’t really know.”
“I talked to Eugene.”
“I think I made coffee if you want any…” I knew she had heard me. I followed her into the kitchen and watched her get the nutmeg and whipped cream out of the fridge, and set them on the counter next to me, knowing I was the only family member who liked both.
“You’re worse than I expected. Have you slept?” I asked, as she slumped down in the little couch-chair that sat in the corner of the kitchen, and pulled her knees up to her chest.
“...no.”
“Then stop drinking coffee,” I suggested, noticing multiple empty mugs in the sink.
“Yeah. Okay.”
“And… is that a coke can? Miss Katrina, you hate soda. You’re trying not to sleep.”
She sheepishly started playing with her hands, avoiding my eyes.
“Why?”
“I tend to, when I’m grieving in any way, sleep and not want to wake up. Sometimes for days. I’m afraid of what will happen if I don’t have anyone to keep me from sleeping for so long.”
“Why don’t you set an alarm?”
“Hm. I’d probably turn it off and go back to sleep without realizing I’d ever woken up.”
“Then why didn’t you ask me to stay here?”
“I needed time alone.”
“Great. You had it. Now you need to sleep, and I’ll stay here again. I can wake you up in the morning.”
“Buck, I can’t ask you to babysit me.”
“I know. That’s why I’m volunteering to.”
“Why are you smiling?” She asked, finally looking up at me. She sounded nearly repulsed by the fact that I couldn’t hold back my joy.
I laughed.
“You really need sleep.”
“What? Why? Did I forget something?”
“Kinda. You still haven’t asked me why I’m here.”
“Oh. Okay, why are you here?”
I opened my mouth to speak, but then stopped, almost wanting to keep the news to myself a little longer. The sweet secret lingered on my lips for a moment, then I finally said,
“I prayed tonight.”
“What?”
“I prayed tonight. I asked Jesus to come into my life.”
“What?! Buck! Oh, Buck! That’s-” She stood up, every hint of fatigue melted away. I had pleased her.
“Yeah...” I laughed, tears hanging in my eyes.
“W-what happened? You were so hesitant.”
“Jules and I have been sort of… studying the Bible together for about a month. That’s what I’ve been doing on Sunday mornings. Can we join you for church next Sunday?” I asked as she pulled me into a hug.
“Of course,” she cried, kissing my head.
A half hour later we were sitting in the living room. I took a sip of my coffee after I’d just finished my story.
“That’s incredible.”
“It really is. I-”
Katrina’s phone interrupted with ringing from the other room.
“Hm. Hold that thought,” She stood up and went after the noise. I took out my phone, realizing I hadn’t told Connie why I had taken so long to come back. I was sending a text when I heard,
“What does that mean?............Yes. That’s true, but-………… Wait, just like that? We can’t talk about it first-.............yeah…………. I will.……. Thank you. Goodbye.”
She came back into the living room, and looked at me, holding a solemn expression.
“Who was that?”
“That was Jack,” She sighed, dropping her phone onto the couch. “Eliza’s moving out tomorrow.”
Kungfunaomi
Cookies & Creme

*gasps*
Cliffhanger! Cliffhanger! \:D/ I am really getting into this one now, it picked up quite a bit!
PennyBassett wrote: But I really just can't help myself when it comes to some things. (Namely the Meltsners, your fanfiction, Peter Capaldi, and Martin Freeman's acting skills)
Wait really, my fanfiction? Thanks! (And btw my Novacom story is picking up speed, I'm starting to really like it). And it makes SENSE! Well, mostly. Working out the kinks. But I'm keeping it realistic-ish this time (in the realm of Novacom realistic), and I'm following only one character. It gives it a lot of drive. (My sister has been putting me through writing boot camp pretty much).