Fanfiction (By Clara)

A place to discuss your own works. Whether they may be literary, visual art, or music pieces, this is the place to show off your stuff!
Ashley
Raspberry Ripple

Fanfiction (By Clara)

Here's a Doctor Who fanfic I wrote today. The Pinterest prompt is "On the morning of everybody's 18th birthday, they wake up with a tattoo of what their soulmate will first say to them." Enjoy!
Run.

I stared down at my arm, blinking the sleep out of my eyes. Three little letters appeared on my arm in calligraphy-ish font.

Run.

Why… run? Most of my friends had cute little phrases or cheesy pick-up lines; Shareen had If you were a vegetable you'd be a cutecumber (yuck) and Keisha had Oh my gosh I'm SO SORRY! (Interesting, but signifying that she'll most likely bump into her soulmate and make him spill his coffee all over herself. Typical Keisha.) But some were better. Some were even so good they could pass for actual tattoos.

You see, in my world, we have this little oddity- the first phrase (or word, in my case) your soulmate will say to you appears as a tattoo on your arm the morning of your 18th birthday. I had been excited for this for as long as I can remember. When I was little, I used to dream that something disgustingly romantic would appear, but as I got older and more realistic I figured it'd say something like Hi, or Can I sit here?, or What are you staring at?

"Rose!" My mum called. I sat up, hiding my arm under the blankets. I doubt she'd be happy about the vagueness of my soulmate's first word to me. Maybe she'd forgotten...

"Well? Let's see!" She said eagerly.

Cr*p.

I slid my arm out from under the quilt and held it up for her to see. She stared at it for what seemed like several hours (when in reality it was about one and a half seconds), and cleared her throat.

"Wow. Ok."

"I know, mum." I sighed. "I was hopin' for something different, too. Somethin' more romantic, eh?" I attempted to smile, but failed miserably.

Mum sat down on the edge of my bed, taking my tattooed arm in her hands. She thought for several moments, then spoke. No- no, s'not that... I guess you'll meet 'im during a marthon or somethin'? Maybe 'e'll be encouragin' you to run, eh?

She was trying to make light of the situation, but I could sense her worry. After dad died when I was a baby, I was all she had. What if I was going to be running from something dangerous, and I'd get hurt?

"Mum," I said gently, removing my arm from her hands, "I'll be fine. It's probably just like you said. I'll most likely meet my future boyfriend durin' a marathon. There's nothin' to worry about."

She sighed, then smiled. "You're right. Now," she said, getting to her feet, "your pancakes are gettin' cold. Then you gotta get ready for work." She smiled, bopping me on the head with one of my pillows, then leaving me alone to get ready for the day.

That year passed, and after a while, we tried to forget about the fateful tattoo on my forarm. We succeeded... almost.

Of course, my friends all wanted to see my tattoo. Some were intrigued, and some pitied me. Obvoiusly mine wasn't going to be love at first sight, as some of the silly, romantic phrases on their arms suggested.

Now, I laugh at how wrong they were.

Several months after my 19th birthday, I woke up grumpier than usual. I was becoming sick with my life as a shop girl, catering to the higher class. I needed more.

That's when I met him.

In the basement of the shop. Not very romantic, right? I was stuck down there, fighting off the manikins, and he appeared. All leather, ears, and accent.

He grabbed my hand, and whispered:

Run.
My fanfiction site is https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4685253/DancingInTheShire. I'm in the process of writing an AIO/DW crossover that you might enjoy. Might. I understand it's not everyone's cup of tea. xD
Paula
Peach Cobbler

OooOoo! I like it =ooo I know absolutely nothing about Doctor Who, but I think the way you're going about this story is great *nods* Will you be posting the rest on your fanfic site or in this thread?
Fast & Jelly are at it again. This time they face the evil fast clickers. Can fast be faster? Is Jelly too slow to turn them into jelly? Find out this week on Fast & Jelly! --> Penguin
"update your signature, Paperclip's term ended ages ago" -Swah
Happy now?
Mickey
Peach Cobbler

I also don't watch Doctor Who but I like it! I think you should put more on the SS! \:D/
Proud K.R.E Member
Dream Big
Caramel Crunch

I'm not familiar with Dr. Who. But you did a great job writing this! =]
⚓︎We have this hope as an anchor for the soul. A hope both sure and steadfast.
Hebrews 6:19
Emma
Peach Cobbler

I also am not in cahoots with the Whovians, but I really like it!
Ashley
Raspberry Ripple

*laughs because my only readers are non-Whovians*

Thanks for the positive feedback! And I think I forgot to mention that this is a one-shot; like, that's it. Although I could continue, I just want to finish my other fanfic first. I could post the updates here for those who don't have access to fanfiction.net
Paula
Peach Cobbler

Ah, I see...I didn't realize that =P But yeah...Finish your other fanfics, but please please please let us know when and if you're going to finish this one ^_^ I'd love to read the rest of it *dances*
Fast & Jelly are at it again. This time they face the evil fast clickers. Can fast be faster? Is Jelly too slow to turn them into jelly? Find out this week on Fast & Jelly! --> Penguin
"update your signature, Paperclip's term ended ages ago" -Swah
Happy now?
Ashley
Raspberry Ripple

Chapters 1-4 of Just a Watch (my AIO/Doctor Who crossover fic):
Chapter 1
John Whittaker strolled into work on morning carrying a rather large and heavy box under his arm. He set in down on the counter with a thud, causing Connie to look up from washing the dishes.
“More books?” The red-headed teenager asked, rolling her eyes. That was the fifth box Whit had brought into his shop, “Whit’s End”, that week. And it was still only Wednesday, she realized with a shudder. “Do you think there’ll be room for more?”
Mr. Whittaker, or Whit, as he liked to be called, laughed. “I think so. But I didn’t have time to sort it at home, so I thought I’d do it here.” With that, he dumped the contents of the box rather untidily on the counter. A cloud of dust rose from the pile.
“And where exactly did you find this box?” Connie coughed, waving away the dust with one hand and picking up a book with another. “The Moon and Sixpence,” she read aloud. “Never heard of it.”
“That’s because it was written before I was born.” Whit took the book from her and wiped the cover off with a damp cloth. He then set it down in a clean box, ready to be taken upstairs to the library. “And I found this one in the attic.”
“I should have figured.” Connie grinned. “I know what your attic looks like.”
As it was several minutes before opening time, Connie helped Whit clean the books; she asking about certain titles, him supplying the answers. Les Miserables, A Tale of Two Cities, and The Scarlet Pimpernel, among others, were added to the pile before they reached the bottom of the old box.
Whit was about to break it down for recycling when Connie stopped him. “Wait. I think there’s something else in here…” She said. She reached her hand in and drew out what looked like a small, mid-19th century pocket watch. It had the colour of gold that hadn’t been polished in ages, with an intricate and somewhat familiar design. “Recognize this?”
Whit took the watch from her, turning it over and over in his hand. “No… and yes.” He said slowly. “I mean, I do… but everything in me tells me to ignore it.” He shook his head, as if trying to clear it. He looked up at her, and she was staring at him as if he were crazy. “Don’t you normally have brown hair?”
“Whit…” she said. “There! You’re ignoring it… and I just didn’t want to dye my hair this morning, that’s all. Think I’ll give it a break.” She paused. “Oh! The watch. That’s what we were talking about, right?” She looked at it nervously, as it was capable of jumping out of Whit’s hand and biting off hers. What possessed it to be able to throw off their minds like that?
“Yeah…” Whit said absently, staring at the old timepiece. He felt as if it were whispering to him, secrets of forgotten times and far-off places; of secrets never to be told and children long grown up and lost.
Ding! The bell over the door sounded as Eugene came dashing in, breaking him out of the spell the watch seemed to put over him. “Sorry I’m late!”
“Wow… for once…” Connie mocked him as he dashed by on his way upstairs.
“Do not tease me, Ms. Kendall! I have work to do!” He called over his shoulder. Footsteps were heard as he made his way to the Bible Room.
“Collision in 3… 2… 1…” Connie counted down, and as she hit zero a large bang was heard in the far left corner where the Imagination Station was. Whit looked at her quizzically, and she said, “He left all his tools out last night. I warned him, but he said it would be faster to just leave them out for work the next day.” She shook her head, and smiled. “He’ll never learn.”
“Yes… but maybe he can give us a few answers about this watch.”
“What wa-- Oh! Yeah, maybe he can run a few test on it or something.” Connie was frightened now. What was it that caused her to forget about it so easily? And why did it look so familiar?
“Connie…” Whit started, getting slightly nervous himself, “Do you have a watch like this?”
So that’s why it’s so familiar! “Yeah, actually, I do. But it doesn’t work or anything. I’ve thought to throw it out several times, but something keeps holding me back.”
“Huh.” Whit said, deep in thought. Something was nagging at him, like a mental itch in the back of his brain.
Connie went to the bottom of the stairs. “EUGENE! WE NEED YOU!” She called. Whit winced. “You could have used the intercom,” He said, rubbing his left ear.
“Sorry,” Connie grinned sheepishly, “But it’s faster this way.” As to prove her point, there was the sound of footsteps going from the Bible Room towards the stairs, and after a moment Eugene came to the front counter. “Yes, Ms. Kendall?”
“We need you to run some tests on something we found.” Whit said.
“Alright, if you will allow me to see this object, I will commence shortly.” Connie rolled her eyes, but not enough for Eugene to see and comment. There wasn’t time for that today.
Whit handed him the watch, and Eugene set it on the counter and took a magnifying glass out of his breast pocket. “You just happened to have one of those in your pocket?” Connie asked sarcastically.
“Of course,” Eugene continued to look at the watch, letting her sarcasm roll off him. “It just looks like a watch… why do you want me to run tests on it?”
“Well, this may sound weird, but we think that there is some sort of mystery surrounding it, and we thought that there might be some sort of markings or dust on it to help to solve it.”
Eugene looked up, and Connie could almost see the “do you know how stupid that sounds?” in his eyes. But he nodded, put it in his pocket, and took it upstairs to the computer room. He knew better than to argue with Mr. Whittaker.
“Connie, do you think that you could run to your house and get your watch? It might help.” Whit asked.
“Yeah, of course.” Connie reached for her coat. She slipped it on, and walked to the door. Jason Whittaker, Whit’s son, met her there.
“Oh, hey Connie,” Jason greeted her. She greeted him somewhat absently, and kissed him lightly on the lips before heading out the door. They had gotten engaged last month, and planned to marry in the near future.
“So… what’s up?” Jason asked casually. “...Dad?”
“Huh? Oh, sorry Jason. Just thinking.”
“Yeah, I could kinda tell. Anything you want to share?”
Whit thought for a moment before responding. “Well, it’s this fob watch I found in the attic. I accidentally brought it in with a bunch of books, and I would have thrown it away, if Connie hadn’t noticed it.”
“So? It’s just a watch.”
“Yeah, I know, but there’s something about it… that’s weird. I’m not exactly sure.” Whit lower his voice slightly. ‘I could have sworn that it was talking to me.”
“Talking to you?” Jason would have laughed if Whit didn’t look so serious. “Dad. Really?”
“I’m serious, Jason.” Whit did indeed look deadly serious.
“But… I thought you didn’t believe in ghosts and the like.” Jason was genuinely confused. Here was his father, going against something that he believed his whole entire life.”
“Now, don’t jump to any conclusions, Jason.” Whit smiled. “I never said I thought it was that.”
“But you thought it. Where is this watch now?”
“Eugene has it. I--” Whit started, then stopped as a loud crash was heard coming from the computer room. Whit and Jason dashed upstairs and into the secret room, only to find Eugene out cold with the watch in his hand.
Maybe there’s more to this watch than I thought.

Chapter 2

Connie pulled her jacket tighter around her as she walked against the wind toward the house that she and Penny Wise shared. She wondered where she left that old fobwatch... It was probably still packed away from the move. Or still in one of her mom's boxes.
Her mom. Connie smiled sadly at the thought of her mother, now three months dead. She would have loved this mystery about the watches... Come to think of it, mom knew about the watch. She reached back far into her memory and replayed the scene in her head.
Connie was just a tot then, no more than three. She loved going through the old boxes and junk that was in her mom's attic... And one day she found the watch. It was a beautiful thing, brighter and newer than Whit's, with the same pattern, only different; with more circles and dots. She picked it up to admire it, and started to try and open it with her chubby fingers.
"Connie!" Her mother called up the ladder. "Come for lunch!"
"OK mommy!" She said, walking back towards the ladder. "Look what I found! Isn't it pretty?"
Her mother stared at the watch, then slowly reached up and swung her down from the top of the ladder. She set her down, and took the timepiece carefully from her. Connie thought she saw a tear in her eye.
"Mommy, why are you crying?" She asked, hugging her around the leg. June smiled and stroked her head.
"When you're older, I'll explain, ok? You wouldn't understand, now. But let's go have lunch."

A car honked near by, waking her out of her reminiscence. Why had her mom cried at the sight of the watch? What was it? Or... What did her mom want to forget? The last thought hit Connie like a sack of bricks. Why did that sound... Right?
Connie reached her house several minutes later. She stepped in, calling, "Penny! You home?"
"I'm in the attic, Connie!" Came the faint reply.
Connie made her way upstairs and climbed carefully up the ladder. "What are you doing up here?"
Penny dusted her hands on the front of her already dusty pants, then wiped her forehead, leaving a grey streak. "I'm trying to make room for several paintings, but it's proving to be a harder job than I thought."
"Ok, but could you maybe stop for a break and help me find something?"
"Of course. What?"
"An old pocketwatch."
Penny surveyed then mountains of boxes around her. "Ok... Where do we start?"
"You take this side..." Connie gestured to the left side of the room, "...and I'll take this side." She walked over to a box on the right hand side of the dusty room and began to search through it. "It'll be on or near the top, as I saw it only two or three months ago. I put it on top of the junk in one of these boxes."
"Ok, that's good. But would you mind telling me why you need this old watch?"
Connie smiled. "Well, this is going to sound weird, but we think that there might be a mystery connected to it."
AIOAIOAIOAIO
"Eugene! EUGENE!" Jason called, slapping him lightly on the cheeks. Eugene groaned, then opened his eyes. He held out the watch to Whit. "I've finished the tests... There is indeed something supernatural about it."
Whit took the watch, and Jason helped him up and into a chair. "Are you sure, Eugene?" He asked nervously. Something supernatural?
"My brain tells me that of course not, but I can't deny what I've seen... And what it did." He looked at it apprehensively, as if it would do something else to him.
"Hold on, Eugene. You said it did something to you?" Whit said, gingerly setting the offending watch down on the table.
Eugene sat up a little straighted in the chair and adjusted his glasses. "I was doing a bit of research on this type of watch on my laptop, and I realized that I haven't even opened it. I tried too for a while, and when I did finally get it open, a bright golden light shot out and hit me in the face. It must have knocked me unconscious."
Jason raised one eyebrow. "A light hit you and knocked you out."
"Yes, Jason, I know it sounds ludicrous, but that's what happened." Eugene shot back.
"Ok, but I want to see this for myself." Jason reached for the watch, but Eugene grabbed his arm.
"No! You do not want that to happen to you."
"Why? Remember I'm an ex-NSA agent, I've been through more than a blow to the head."
"I know, but it was more. It was like... Like it got inside my head and played with my memories, showing me different times and planets and what he did to those who tried to stop him." Eugene started trembling, and Whit put an arm around him and gently helped him up.
"How about we go downstairs and have a coffee," He said. "That should help clear your head."
"Good idea." Eugene said faintly. As they left the room, Whit called over his shoulder, "Do not touch that watch, Jason!"
"Fine, fine." Jason watched them leave, then turned to the table. The watch sat there, looking so old and innocent. He? What did Eugene mean by "he"? Jason shook his head, as if to clear it, then followed them downstairs for coffee.
AIOAIOAIOAIO
"Found it!" Connie exclaimed triumphantly, pulling the old watch from the sixth box she was going through. Penny set the one she was working on down with a sigh.
"I'm glad that's over. Let's see?"
Connie handed her the watch, and Penny turned it over in her hand. "Well, it looks mid-19th century-"
"I know that, Penny. But I need to take it back to Whits End." She took it from her roommate and put her coat back on. "Will you be coming by the shop later?"
"Oh, you know me; I'll probably drop by later for a Raspberry Ripple." Penny grinned up at her.
"Ok, see you then." Connie stepped carefully down the ladder and out the door. This time, she hurried back to the shop, and was there just as Whit had finished making the coffee and was pouring Eugene a cup. He had regained some of his colour, and had stopped shaking so much.
"I got the watch," Connie walked up to the counter. "Sorry it took so long; I had to go through a few boxes in my attic." She handed it to Whit, and he looked at it closely with the magnifying glass Eugene had left there earlier.
"Well, it looks a lot like mine, only with more circular patterns. I wonder what it means?"
"Do you think it actually means something, Whit?" Connie asked. "I just thought it was some sort of design."
"Yes, if you look carefully at it-" he handed her the watch and glass, "-you'll notice that there is a pattern to it. It's not just random. And there are these semi circles and dots-" he pointed towards the middle of it, "-that appear more frequently than others. It's the same on my watch."
"So it's some sort of language?" Connie asked.
"It appears so."
"Eugene, why aren't you talking at all?" Connie looked over at him. He gulped his coffee, shaking his head and holding up a finger.
"Eugene had a misadventure with my watch." Whit filled her in on what happened. Connie's eyes widened, and she set the watch on the counter.
"Maybe we should just get rid of it," she said. "If it's going to hurt us, then I don't care about any mystery connected to it." She gestured toward the trash can sitting by conveniently. Eugene set down his mug and shook his head violently.
"No, no. A thousand times, no!" He put his hand protectively over it.
"But Eugene, it hurt you! You got knocked out!" Connie pleadingly put her hand on top of his.
"Ms. Kendall, if it was anything else, I'd agree with you. But this watch... I don't know. I'd go through it again just to find out its secret."
Connie sighed, and lifted her hand off his. "Alright then, if you're going to be so stubborn about it. But... be careful?"
Eugene grinned at her. "Aren't I always?"

Chapter 3

Penny groaned. She had been bending over in the attic for more than an hour, and her back was killing her. She straightened, dusted her hands on the front of her pants, and observed the headway she had made. Which is hardly anything, she thought grimly, but brightened when she remembered her promise to Connie about stopping by the shop for an ice cream. She quickly climbed down the ladder, cleaned up, and walked to Whit's End.
"Good morning!" She called cheerfully. Connie looked up from the cash register to face her roommate.
"Oh, hey, Penny." She said, somewhat absently.
"I'll have that Raspberry Ripple now," She smiled. "I deserve it after what I did in the attic."
"Oh yeah? And just how much did you do?" Connie asked skeptically.
"About... Half a wall."
"Yeah, I thought so." Connie rolled her eyes and giggled. She went into the kitchen to make the ice cream, and upon returning handed it to Penny.
"Thank you... this looks delicious!" Penny took a bite, then looked up at Connie, who was again staring off into space. "Connie?"
"Huh?" Connie jerked, then looked over at Penny. "I'm sorry Penny, I'm just distracted this morning." She relayed the previous events to her friend, who gasped.
"Is he alright?" Penny asked, worried.
"Yes, he's fine; he's up in the computer room now researching the watch." Connie sighed and shook her head. "He can be so stubborn sometimes."
"Not unlike some people," Penny winked, returning to her ice cream.
"...what's that supposed to mean? Penny!"
AIOAIOAIOAIO
"WHAT DOES THE FOX SAY..."
"What the-" Jason almost fell out of his chair, in which he had dozed off. He grabbed his phone, turning the volume off. "Connie..." He muttered, shaking his head and smiling slightly. "Hello?"
"Jason!" The voice greeted him. An all-too-familiar voice.
"Hello, Donovan." Jason said, letting a little annoyance creep into his voice.
"Look, Jason, I know that you're no longer an agent here with us, but we need you on this one!" Donovan spoke quickly, as if he was afraid that Jason may hang up on him, which had crossed his mind.
"Donovan, you know I'm done with the agency!"
"Yes, but we thought you might be interested in this one, as it's... more personal than normal."
"More personal?" Jason sat up a little straighter. "Ok, I'm listening."
"We've been tracking a rather mysterious person of late," Donovan began. "He's- or they, rather; more people have joined him since we picked up on him- have been moving from city to city, searching for something, and ransacking entire homes in the process."
"Ok... Why not just arrest them?" Jason was slightly confused. How was this personal?
"Because we can almost never catch them in the act or on tape, and when we do, they seem to have no memory of doing it."
"So?" Jason was completely lost.
"It's weird. We get a call saying that someone is stalking a person. Usually a man. Then his house is turned upside down, and the same man who was being stalked is caught robbing anything from a corner store to a bank. When we bring him in, he denies everything. Says he doesn't even remember leaving his house that morning."
"But Donovan, how is this personal?"
"Because we've been tracking a man for about a week now, and he was last seen about a half hour ago near Odyssey."
AIOAIOAIOAIO

Jason hung up the phone, and sighed. He wasn't sure what he should do, and he told Donovan he'd think about it for under ten minutes then call him back. What would he say to Connie, and his dad…
“Jason?” Connie called brightly, coming into the office where he sat.
“Hey.” She bent to kiss him on the cheek, then sat beside him behind the desk. “So… what’s with my ringtone?”
She giggled. “Something to wake you up.” She handed him a cup of coffee she had brought him.
“Well, it worked.” He took the coffee and thanked her.
There was a silence. "Jason... Is there something wrong?" She asked, putting her hand on his arm.
"Well... There is something." He filled her in on Donovan's phone call. She raised an eyebrow.
"Jason... How many times has he said 'this is the last time?'"
"I know, I know, but I feel like I have to help out... And I want to, too." He admitted, smiling sheepishly.
She smiled back at him; she couldn't help it. Sometimes he could be too adorable. "Well, at least you won't be leaving."
"Yep," he said putting an arm around her, "And if I take it, maybe you could help me out."
"We'll see." She snuggled closer into him.
Eugene came in. "Connie, Mr. Whittaker needs you to-" He started, then stopped. Connie sat up, and Jason put his arm down. "Oh... I apologize for interrupting you..."
"It's fine, Eugene; I'll go." Connie left, and Eugene was left standing rather awkwardly in the centre of the room.
"So... How goes the research?" Jason asked, breaking the silence.
"Not especially good; I can't find any watches online that have a pattern remotely close to Mr Whittaker's or Connie's. But I'll keep trying." With that, he hurried out of the room.
Jason picked up his phone, and dialed Donovan's number. "Hello, Donovan? This is Jason." He sighed. "I'll do it."

Chapter 4

"Well?" Constance asked brightly. "Where are we?"
"Not totally sure..." John spoke quietly, more to himself than his friend. "Somewhere off the northern coast of Midnight, I believe." He fiddled with the dials until a clear pictures came through on the screen. "Yep, I was right." He looked up and grinned. "Want to go exploring?"
She grinned back, and skipped towards the doors. "Wait!" John called after her. "You'll need a suit."
Constance turned, her smile now a pout. "But John..."
"I know you hate them, but the air is poisonous." He got two suits out of the closet, one red, one green.
"It's not that I hate it, I just look ridiculous." She took the green suit, and hesitated."Don't you dare laugh."
He smiled. "I'll do my best."
She sighed, slipping on the suit, complete with a helmet tinted green. "Well?"
John tried so hard not to laugh, but the effort was futile. She was right, she did look so funny.
Constance tried to scowl, but couldn't help smiling. "John..."

Whit awoke, laughing in his sleep. He sat up and glanced at the clock. 2:37. He sighed, and lay back down.

AIOAIOAIOAIO

"Shh." Whit whispered. He held out a hand, helping Constance up from the polished marble floor.
"Sorry," she whispered back. "But this floor is slippery."
They crept along, staying out of sight from the 55th Century high-tech security cameras. Constance almost fell again, but John caught her before she hit the floor a second time.
"Thanks," she said, then gasped. John followed her line of sight and smothered a laugh.
"We found it!" He took her hand. "Come on!"
They quietly ran towards the centre display. There, in their glass and diamond cases, stood the most beautiful vases Constance had ever seen. John took out his Sonic Screwdriver and started working on getting the case open.
"So... That's new. Where'd you get it?" Constance motioned to the Screwdriver.
"A friend gave me the plans, and I built one last night." John said, and after a second, the case popped open. Constance squealed, and John clapped a hand over her mouth. "SHH."
"Sorry." She grinned sheepishly. She took a sack out of her purse, which was bigger on the inside, and held it open. John slipped the vases inside.
"Why are we doing this again?" She asked.
"Because," John put another one it, "this time tomorrow this place will have vanished. 'The lost moon of Poosh' will become the centre of conversation and study for thousands of years. We'll return these to Poosh when we get the chance. They'll thank us." With that, he carefully set the last vase inside, and tied the top shut. Constance put the sack inside her purse.
"Why can't we just tell the president of Poosh that his moon and a museum on it will go missing tomorrow, and let them do this?" Constance asked nervously, looking around for security guards.
"You think they'd believe us?"
Connie shook her head. "No," she admitted. "So... How do we get out? We can't go the same way we came; the guard will be there by now."
"I know..." John thought for a moment, and started to say something, but was interrupted by a shout.
"Hey you! Stay where you are!"
"Feel up to running?" He grabbed her hand and grinned.
"When am I not?" She laughed, and they took off running through the hall.

"Slow down, John; you know I'm slower than you!" Connie said. She opened her eyes, and sat up. "That was... Weird." She said aloud. She glanced at the clock. It read 6:46, so she decided to get up. She showered, and walked to Whit's End just as the sun was coming up.
She stuck the key in the lock, but it was already open. She opened the door cautiously.
"Whit? Eugene?" She called. The only answer she got was the echo of her own voice bouncing around the empty shop.
Whit must have left it unlocked by accident, she rationalized.
She slowly walked towards the front counter, then paused. She took a deep breath, and quickly peeked behind the counter. Nobody. You're paranoid, Connie. She shook her head, and went to the kitchen to finish the dishes she had left the night before. She was trying to figure out what the heck was Poosh, when she heard a rather large crash upstairs. Oh no.
She went to the bottom of the stairs. "He-hello?" She squeaked. Visions of Hank Murray flashed through her brain, so she decided to call the police. Better safe than sorry, she decided.
"I wouldn't do that if I were you, Ms. Kendall." Connie felt a hand on her arm, the arm with which she was holding her smart phone. She froze, too terrified to move.
"Who... who are you?" She whispered, barely audible. The hand was cold, with a scaly feel; with long fingernails that brushed her arm.
The hand moved up her arm to the base of her neck, nails brushing her throat; nails that could easily slice it. She caught a glimpse of a long forked tongue out of the corner of her eye. "That doesn't matter. What matters is you." The Thing chuckled, then hissed, "You, my dear, are going to help me."

AIOAIOAIOAIO

Ding! Eugene hurried into the shop.
"Apologies for being so late, Ms. Kendall, Katrina is down with a cold, and I needed to-" He stopped, eyes widened. "Uhh..."
"What, Eugene?" Connie smiled, perhaps a bit too wide.
"It's just that I've never seen this place so... Clean." He spun slowly around, taking it all in. "What time did you get here this morning?"
"Oh, around 7:15." She coughed twice, and cleared her throat.
"Are you coming down with something also?" Eugene moved towards her, concern written on his face. "Your voice is a bit dry."
"I'm fine." She quickly dismissed him, stepping farther back. "Just... Gotta get the voice down."
Eugene raised an eyebrow. "What do you mean?"
"Nothing, nothing." She continued cleaning off the counter, keeping her back to her concerned friend. "I'm alright."
"If you say so..." He slipped off his coat and hung it on the rack. Once he had disappeared into the kitchen, Connie took a deep breath.
"Get ahold of yourself." She dropped the cloth into the sink. "This'll never work if you slip up."
"Good morning, Connie!" Whit strolled in the door.
"Morning, Whit." She tried to sound as normal as possible.
"I had the weirdest dream last night," he said, setting several shopping bags on the counter. "We were traveling in this... Ship, of sorts."
"Oh really?" This sounded promising.
"Yeah, and you didn't want to put on a space suit."
"...is that all?"
"Yeah, I think so. Or all I can remember."
Drat.
"Alright, well, I'd better get to work." With that, he tied on his apron and went into the kitchen. Connie sighed, and unloaded the bags. Oranges, peaches, milk. Double drat.
She put the milk in the fridge. She turned to put the oranges away, and a wave of dizziness swept over her. She grabbed the counter for support, and stumbled to the closest booth, resting her head on the table. When she felt like she was able to stand again, she slowly made her way to the handicapped washroom. She locked the door behind her, then collapsed.
The Thing picked itself up, leaving Connie on the floor. It dusted itself off, smiling to itself. I was able to possess her for three hours and nobody suspects a thing.
Connie raised herself slightly off the floor. "Oh so that's what you look like," She panted, "I couldn't get a good look at you before you jumped into my body like that. Is that what you are? A body-jumper?" The Thing didn't reply, so she asked, "What do you want?" Fright wasn't the predominant feeling she had right now; she felt extremely annoyed and mad that her privacy had been breached in this way.
"Now that would be telling, wouldn't it." He smiled evilly. "But I suppose there wouldn't be any harm in telling you."
And Chapter 5, which I finished today:
Jason sat at the counter, a doughnut in one hand, the morning newspaper in the other. He sighed, tossing it down. There was never anything interesting in Odyssey's papers... Just ads, events, and the odd interview.
Ding! Jason turned from his position at the counter.
"Hey, Dad." Jason greeted his father with a smile, then took a bite of the greasy deep-fried bagel he was holding.
"Good morning, Jason." Whit returned. "You really should lay off those, y'know." He mock frowned, gesturing at the doughnut.
Jason looked at it, wincing. "I know. But Connie makes such good ones." He took another bite.
Whit smiled. "Yes, I know. It's the only thing she can make too."
The laughed together as the bell rang again. "Shh! Here she comes."
Jason turned around, all traces of laughter gone from his face. "Morning, love."
"Good morning, Jason!" She said, kissing him lightly. She greeted Whit before disappearing into the kitchen. That's what Connie would have done, right? He flipped through her recent memories, relived to see that Connie had greeted Jason several times with a kiss. Last night he had gone through her memories and noticed a reoccurring watch that caused a lot of hype around the shop. He recalled Eugene's words about what was inside, and decided that it was worth taking a look at.
AIOAIOAIOAIO
Connie crept down the basement downstairs to the workshop below. How he survived the day, he didn't know... The monotony of serving ice cream, talking to the children who frequented the shop, the putting money in the cash register... He was tempted to slip a few bills into his pocket, but decided against it. If all this turned out to be a dead end, he'd take the cash and get out of town. But something was different this time. What the annoying genius with the glasses had said sounded like what he was looking for.
Tiptoeing down the rickety steps, he almost tripped on a loose board. Nearly yelping in surprise, he steadied himself on the hand rail and listened for footsteps above. Hearing none, he continued down the stairs into the basement without any further incidents.
He made his way to the workbench, grinning a sinister grin. The watch smiled back, almost daring him to open it up. He reached his hand down, but hesitated at the last second. What if...
"Connie?" The lights flicked on. He had left them off, as he could see in perfectly in the dark and it would hide him from anyone who would walk past the shop this late at night. Now, he turned to face Whit, blinking in the bright white light.
"Hey... hey, Whit." He turned to face the older man, clearing his throat to get back into the proper voice.
There was an awkward pause. "So... What are you doing down here?"
"Uh..." What would Connie be doing down here? Think, think... Well, I could just tell a half truth."Just wanted to have another look at the watches!" Why shouldn't Connie want to have a look at the watches? One of them is hers, after all. Connie grinned up at him, confident he had said the right thing. But wait. Whit had left to go home. Why is he here? "Why are you here, Whit? I thought you left."
"Yeah, I did. But I guess I'm here for the same reason you are." He shrugged and walked past her, picking up his watch.
Don't you dare open it, Whittaker.
Whit fiddled with the timepiece for a moment, then looked up at Connie. "Are you alright, Con? You haven't seemed yourself this past week."
"Yeah... yeah, I'm fine! What makes you say that?"
"You've just seemed slightly... distant. Like you've been having problems outside of work. Are you and Jason... ok?"
Seriously? "Yes! There are no problems between Jason and I, Whit. I love him. You know that." Ugh.
Whit smiled, relieved. He was so happy that Jason had finally settled down and started a relationship (with Connie, of all people! Whit considered it a match made in heaven. Not that he told anyone that, of course), and he would hate to see anything happen to the cutest couple in Odyssey. (Sometimes he had to punch something to get rid of these shippy feelings. Like what he was feeling right now.) He shook his head, bringing himself back to the present. "Is there anything else wrong?"
If only you knew, Whittaker. "Nope! Nothing at all." He must have said that enough like Connie, because that was all it took to temporarily convince Whit.
Actually, something was wrong. He could feel this body weakening. It's a shame, really; he could only spend so much time hiding in a body before the body would start to shut down. Normally, he'd use it up, then jump out before it died, leaving the body to be found several hours or days later. But not this time. This was too promising.
AIOAIOAIOAIO
"John!" Constance shrieked, holding onto the TARDIS console for dear life. "We're going to crash!"
John ran around the console, pressing buttons, pulling levers, and spinning dials. "I'm doing everything that I can!" He cried. "Hold on!"
"I am!"
He pulled a lever, then stopped. That was it. The TARDIS was out of control, and it indeed looked like they were going to crash. Constance looked at him, fearful. He pulled her to himself.
"I don't know where we'll end up, but it'll be alright." He said, trying to confort her.
She attempted to smile. "As long as it's not on Skaro."
He laughed. "Yes, but we'll be tog-" He started, but was cut off when the TARDIS made impact with the ground. They were thrown to the floor, and water seeped from... the ceiling?
"John..."
"Yeah, Con?"
"Why is the pool upstairs again?"
"Sorry."
They shakily got to their feet, and John took a look at the moniter. "The atmosphere looks good, so at least it's habit..." John stopped. No. Please, no.
"What, John?" Constance came around and looked over his shoulder.
"We're on earth. 1923."
She whacked him playfully on the arm. "That's not so bad!"
He turned to look at her. "Yes, but they have a very rudementary understanding of aliens, like ourselves. First of all, they wouldn't have the parts to fix the TARDIS," which was emmitting a concerning amount of smoke and sparks, "for at least 100 years, and second of all, if they found out about us and our alien-ness, they would most likely hold us captive and run horriffic tests on us!"
Constance huffed. "They can't all be like that!"
" Yes, they can. And they are." He walked away, but she followed.
"Ok, bad humans aside; I'm starving!" She tugged his sleve, just like his daughter. His daughter. The memory of the events from the previous day hit him like Rassilon's staff when he was late for a Time Council meeting.
"The- The Time War..." He stuttered, slumping over. How could he have forgotten? His wife, children, parents; gone.
Constance covered her mouth and let out a strangled sob. She had no family, but they were her people.
"We... we abandoned them." She sobbed, and John pulled her into a hug.
"There was nothing we could have done," He said, for her assurance as well as his. "It was time locked. We couldn't get in."
"There could have been a way! We're Time Lords, there's always a way!"
He smiled sadly. "Not this time."
They stayed in the TARDIS for several weeks, doing nothing but mourning for their beloved home. When the Daleks attacked, they had been off the planet, and when they had returned, they couldn't land. The planet was already time locked. And all they could feel was guilt that they had not been there to help.
It's a lot easier to read if you read it on my fanfiction account. But I know some people don't have access to that website, so I posted it here.
Emma
Peach Cobbler

That is so cool! I really enjoyed this. :D
Ashley
Raspberry Ripple

Thank you Emma!

New story! Yay! And this time it's a Hobbit fanfic, so more people will be able to get it.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11535386/1 ... -Situation
(Most of the things in italics are thoughts or feelings.)

It was that time of year again.

Every year, as they had done for the past 1,247 years, the Woodland Elves would go down the river in boats, as was tradition, for the annual feast with the Rivendell Elves. A nasty custom really, but it had to be done to keep the peace.

Thranduil sighed, sitting on his magnificent antler throne. He was really too fabulous for this. Elves were rushing this way and that, preparing for the day long journey. As the king, he wasn't required to prepare his luggage (he had several dozen Elves that were hired just for that purpose), but it was very tiresome watching them dash about, asking for instructions on which food he would like to have on the journey, what kind of bedding he would like to take, and what colour of robes he would wear to the feast.

"Sir!" A guard appeared before him, giving him a slight bow. Thranduil acknowledged him with a move of his hand.

"Yes, Finduin?"

Yawn.

"Your boat is almost ready." The guard looked nervous; he knew his king did not like this annual trip into frienemy territory. Not because he was scared of his Rivendell brothers, but because they were just so boring.

"Thank you, Finduin. You may go." Thranduil rose from his chair, and the guard scampered away, thanking Iluvatar that the king didn't get mad at the reminder of the day's events and take it out on him... like last year. Finduin shuddered at the thought, but then skidded to a stop at he rounded the corner.

"Yes, Finduin?"

He slowly turned around, mentally hitting himself for forgetting an important piece of information. "The guard who usually accompanies you died last fall, as you probably remember, so we got you a new one! She's the best, really, she can fight 100 Orcs by hers-"

"Who did you assign to me, Finduin?"

"We would have got your son Legolas, but he's away and we can't find h-"

"Finduin."

The guard seemed to shrink three sizes. "We chose Tauriel, my lord." He gulped. He knew how Thranduil would feel about this.

Thranduil raised a majestic eyebrow. "Tauriel? The Tauriel that Legolas is in love with?"

"She's the captain of the guard, sir. Does it matter wheth-"

"I know that she's perfectly capable of taking care of me, Finduin," Thranduil said, pacing around his throne, "but I literally told her last week that she wasn't good enough for my son. Do you realize how awkward this will be?" For there was nothing more that King Thranduil hated than an awkward situation.
Thranduil grumbled as he stepped into his boat. An unpleasant destination, and now an unpleasant companion! He shook his head. He really must have done something wrong to displease Iluvatar enough to give him such bad fortune.

He heard her before he saw her. Chatting. Always chatting. He looked up, and he saw her laughing face looking down at him silhouetted by the sun. What a sight, he thought sarcastically. He moved over, not to make room for her to sit beside him, but so he would be as far away from her as possible once she sat down.

She stepped in and seated herself, and said her goodbyes to the guard she had been talking to. She let down the small sail, and pushed off with an oar.

"Beautiful day, isn't it, my lord?" She asked, turning to him. He straightened, not going to give away in his demeanor how much this boat trip was going to slowly kill him.

"Yes; yes it is."

They sailed in peace for several minutes; the wind was doing most of the work so there was no need for Tauriel to use the oars, save for steering.

She's going to mention Legol-

"How's Legolas doing?" Tauriel asked, breaking the silence.

Called it.

"He's... fine." He said, shifting uncomfortably in his seat. "He won't be coming to the feast, you know."

"Oh?"

"Yes- he's off fighting... Orcs or... something." Darn you, Legolas.

"Oh?" She said again.

She's just playing with me now, Thranduil thought. But before he could make a reply, the boat bumped against something. They both peeked over the edge, staring down into the dark, murky water, but nothing was there. At least nothing that they could see.

"Must have been a rock or a branch." Tauriel said. Thranduil swore he heard a hint of fear in her voice, but chose not to comment on it.

"So where is the Orc attack?" Tauriel asked, finally looking up from the water.

"Orc attack?"

"Yes, you said Legolas was off fighting Orcs." She sounded slightly miffed, for she hated to be left out of all the fun. Also, as the captain of the guard, she should know about these things.

"Oh! Yes, um... I believe it's somewhere north of here. I only have received word that he and some others are battling Orcs, and not the exact location." He replied, somewhat stiffly.

Thunk.

"Ok. That's no branch." Tauriel lifted her bow off the floor of the boat and retrieved an arrow from her quiver.

"Do you not think that a sword or something similar would be better for close range?" Thranduil asked.

"Yes, that's why I brought this." She tossed him an axe from the bottom of the boat.

He caught it somewhat clumsily. "How am I supposed to use this?" He questioned, holding it upside down.

"Like this." She turning it right side up, and made a swinging motion in the air with her hands. He mimicked her, and almost threw the axe into the lake.

"Yeah. Just keep a good grip on it." She giggled. Seeing high-and-mighty Thranduil holding an axe was just too good.

"I'm better at sword fighting, not axe fighting. This is too heavy on the end. And axes are for Dwarves," he grumbled, but then jumped in surprise as again, something hit the boat. This time, it was so strong that it pushed them slightly to the left.

"It must be some enormous fish..."

"Good. We'll have something else to bring to the f-"

Suddenly, the boat tipped over, sending a shrieking Tauriel and Thranduil into the icy water. They came up spluttering and gasping, clinging to each other for dear life. Legolas lay atop the overturned boat, the grin slowly fading from his face.

"I... I thought this- I thought this was Irudion's boat!" He choked out. "Father.... Tauriel?!"

They said nothing, but gave him a glare that made him feel like they would kill him, given the chance. Thankfully, Tauriel's bow had floated out of reach and the axe was at the bottom of the lake.

"Legolas... what?" Tauriel finally managed to say something.

His words came out in a rush. "Well you see, Irudion and I always play pranks on each other at the feast, so I thought that he wouldn't expect his boat tipping over. You got to admit, it's a pretty good one..." His forced laughter died away.

"Help. Us." Thranduil said darkly. Clearly, he was not amused.

Legolas managed to get them back in the boat and blankets around their shoulders. By that time, some of the other boats caught up.

"Everything alright?" Someone shouted, wondering why they had stopped.

"Yes, thank you!" Tauriel called back, not wanting them to stop. It would be best to forget about it. Thranduil also didn't want to draw attention, for some of the Elves going to the feast were blabbermouths and if this story made it to Elrond, he would never live it down. But he wasn't going to forget about this.

"Legolas?"

"Yes, father?" Legolas whispered.

"Get out."

Tauriel could hardly suppress her laughter as Legolas took one last look at his father glaring at him and jumped into the water, making for shore. Better to be cold and wet than face King Thranduil's wrath.

Thranduil watched his son swim frantically to shore with emotionless features. But when he looked up into Tauriel's laughing face, this time he couldn't help laughing too.