The Thread of Pound Foolish

A place to discuss your own works. Whether they may be literary, visual art, or music pieces, this is the place to show off your stuff!
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

The Thread of Pound Foolish

After promising people a million times I'd do this, I'm actually doing it. Here's the first installment of some fan-fiction to start things off. There will be one more installment of this story after this. There are also some poems and such I'll include here sometime. But, for the moment, enjoy a unique little what-if story. Warning: it ends on a cliffhanger and you will hate me.

Part One
“I miss him.” Connie whispered. “I wish… I guess I wish, I just, I need to accept God had a different plan.” Connie stared out the window sadly.
“Connie, do you want to pray together?”
Connie sighed. “ Maybe in a… Oh, sorry, I’m fogging up the gl–” Conne stopped. “… Glass. Grrr, I can’t help it, Whit! I’m a love-lorn wreck! I’m worse than Eugene when Katrina left!”
“And what precisely does that mean, pray tell?” a somewhat squeaky, very familiar voice interrupted.
Connie put her hands on her hips and flipped her head, swishing her ponytail. “Mustache.”
“Err, yes…”
“Hopeless, glum melancholy, listless attitude. Talking to yourself. Resorting to playing chess with Bernard to distract yourself. Desperate soul searching–”
“VERY WELL! Desist, Miss Kendall. Perhaps I too am capable of cathexis.”
“Um, great. Couldn’t you just say–”
“No, I could not.”
“Alright, you two.” Whit laughed. “Let’s not start another war.”
Connie grinned and folded her arms. “I’m sorry Whit. We can’t seem to grow out of… some things… some things… just don’t go away…”
“Your glazed over look is accumulating, Connie.” Eugene said.
“Listen, Connie, how about a trip in the Room of Consequence? I have something in mind that might cheer you up.”
“I doubt it.” Connie sighed. “But, okay.”

“It’s been awhile since I used this thing. Do I just walk in?”
“Yes, no red button to press on this one. Just be ready.”
“Okayyy…” Connie approached the door to the utterly dark room. Music played, lights flickered, and a room materialized around her. She looked about herself blandly. An office… so…? Then… she saw a young man at a computer desk.
“Mitch!?”
“What?” Mitch frowned. “Yeah. Why are you suddenly so excited about me?”
“Oh, um, no reason.”
“Fiiinnne… Right. So… what we were talking about earlier brings me to a question.”
“What question?” Connie’s heart pounded. Her forehead sweated. She could hardly breath. Oh… this feeling… just you and me… no Maurine… I’ve missed this.
“Will you marry me?”
“What? I mean… are you serious?”
Joy.
Burning through her.
Lighting her soul.
The sun rose in her heart.
“Yes, I’m serious.” Mitch half-laughed. “Here. This will show you how serious I am.”
“Huhhhh… A ring! Oh, Mitchit’sbeautiful,Imean,it’sreallygorgeous,it’s… wow, wow-owwww! Oh, wow, wow, wow, wow. Is it real?” Connie gazed in rapture at the ring, overwhelmed.
“Yes, it’s real.” Mitch chuckled. “So, what do you say?”
“I… I…”
Dee--bloiiing.”
“What was that?”
“Instant message, but it sounded like—”
“Hi there. Remember me?”
“Arem!?” Gasped Mitch.
Connie pretended to be surprised, though she remembered this scene from the past. “Maybe it was really Mister Charles?”
“Ahh, not likely, Connie.” Mitch took Connie’s hand. “You still owe me an answer to my question, though.”
“Well… Connie paused. “Yes, I… Oh, Mitch!” Connie threw herself onto Mitch and hugged him. Mitch rose, lifting her off her feet.
And kissed.
Mitch is kissing me… kissing me. For the first time in two years…
Flash.
“I now pronounce you husband and wife.”
Connie hugged and kissed Mitch exuberantly.
Part Two
After the service, Connie’s friends swarmed her with congratulations. “You two are going to be as happy as a poodle in a barber shop.” Bernard told them.
“Unfathomable felicitations with my whole emotional heart.” Eugene told her, actually hugging her.
Wooton ran up to her, Penny Wise beside him, and threw up his arms. “Smooth move, Connie! When you two need an exit-slide for your house, I can recommend a good online store. (Snort!)”
Penny, who was with Wooton, hugged Connie. “Oh, you two, I’m so happy! Yippee!”
Jacques Henri kissed Connie on her cheek. Red Hollard said “This just plain ticklin’ good!” Edwin Blackgaard returned from his tour to give Connie his best wishes, and Liz Horton, Mandy Straussburg, and the Barclays visited to attend. Jason hugged her, June, her mom, kissed her, and Jack and Joanne lovingly congratulated them. Officer Harley, who had returned to Odyssey for the wedding, and Harlow Doyle, guarded the gifts and coldly pushed away anyone who tried to look at them.
During the reception, Whit sat at their table. “Connie, the angels in Heaven are singing.”
Flash.
“Good morning, Honey.” Mitch kissed Connie, wearing a bathrobe.
“Morning.” Connie cheerily answered, looking around what she supposed to be their new house, a surprisingly rustic house, for Odyssey. At breakfast, she went to go for a walk. “Aah-oh! Mitch, we’re in a jungle!”
Mitch blinked. “Um, yeah. And we’re also on earth.” He sipped his coffee.
Connie gulped and shut the door. FBI agents sure have to get around…
“Mommy.”
Connie looked down and saw a little girl brown haired, green eyed girl, looking about seven. “Ahh, hi.” Connie picked her up. I guess she’s mine.
“Spyyyyyy kids, are… ”
“What’s that?”
“Our phone. Did you get enough sleep last night?”
“I’ll get it.” Connie rushed with the girl to find the source of the song. “Hello?”
“Hi, dear.”
“Oh, hi, Mom! How’re you?”
“Fine, sweetie. I just miss you. I never ever see you now, and… I need to cut to the point. Whit is dying.”
“What!?” after twenty minutes, Connie hung up. “Mitch, we need to leave! Now!”
Flash.
Connie stood by Whit’s grave. Tears poured down her cheeks. Mitch smoothed his hand along her back. Her little girl held her hand and looked up at her, worried. “Mommy, are you gonno be ’kay?”
“We have to go.” Mitch told Connie. “We’re leaving for…” Mitch sighed. “I can’t ask you to leave. Not after this. Missing Whit… not being able to be with him…. To see him even once before he d... I’m leaving the FBI.”
Connie gasped. Then hugged him. “I’m sorry Mitch… but… thank you.”
Flash.
“Connie? Do you want to come out yet?”
“No, Whit. This is great!”
“Great? Really?”
“Yes! It’s just like real life, except Mitch loves me!”
“Aren’t you sad that I’m, err, dead?”
“Well, yeah. But I know you’re really okay, Whit… but… I don’t want to stay in here without you… ”
“Mommy?” Constance, Connie’s little daughter, pulled on Connie’s pants with her little hands. “Who are you talking to? You’re not going to leef are you?”
Connie paused. She stared at the worried little girl. Her little girl. Even though she was unreal… just a shadow, a dream… it was a beautiful shadow, more beautiful than what cast it. And a wonderful dream. Connie bent down and hugged little Constance. “No, darling, I’m staying here! Forever!”
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
Joy
Raspberry Ripple

It's great!

Please be one of those people who finishes their fanfic. I don't want to be left hanging.

Interesting idea...could you stay in the room of consequence, forever? Bring food, go out now and again to get more.
Kaida
Fudge Marble

That was amazing, PF! I agree with Joy.. I don't wanna be left hanging. I definitely wanna read more.
Isaiah 40:8, 1 Corinthians 10:31
Samantha14
Mint Chocolate Chip

Exactly! I have no patience for patience. ;)
Post. More. ASAP! ;)
Haha, But seriously, This is REALLY good. I wish I could write like this.
Keep it up so I can stop hanging from this cliff!
godisawesomeness99
Raspberry Ripple

*After reading, Eyebrows immedatly shoot up.

CONNIE, STAY HERE!
here from time to time....

Psalm 73:24
Aaron Wiley
Pistachio

Huh, without even meaning to, I subconsciously was reading all of Whit's part is Andre Stojka's voice. I guess he's officially Whit now...

I'm looking forward to reading the rest though. Really interesting idea, and I was surprised to find that the story wasn't as predictable as I thought it was going to be. I assumed it was going to be a sort of way to get Connie to realize she and Mitch would have never worked out by showing what would have happened if they had been married, but now I have no idea what's going to happen... It was pretty well written too. Keep up the good work bro.
"I strive to be an Elephant" - Odyssey Fan Wiley
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

"As happy as a poodle in a barbershop?" Really, PF? :roll: :lol:

This is very good. I enjoyed the whole concept, of staying in ROC forever, and the opening scene was great. The Eugene lines were all typical "Eugene", and Connie's part was fascinating and lived up to her personality, in a way. It was also very well-written, almost like an AIO episode, with little description and almost all dialogue, which is the way AIO fan fiction is supposed to be written. The only problem I had is that the last scene was just a bit rushed. Other than that, great job!
Sir Arnold, Knight of the Order of Augustine, Debate Vampire
Mr. Yorp wrote:You don't need a degree to shovel manure.
God's little Artist
Caramel Crunch

CreativeThinker101 wrote:"As happy as a poodle in a barbershop?" Really, PF? :roll: :lol:
He just said that because he noticed I groom dogs. And poodles especially love going to the doggie salon. ;)

Oh, and PF nice job! you have some talent. Unlike a lot of people I kind of like how it hangs there at the end.
...unless it's not the end. then go for it.
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Part Three

“Eugene, we have to get Connie. It’s been an hour. That means she’s been in there at least several months more than I planned.” Whit folded his arms, his old, wise brow crinkled in seriousness and worry. “Now that she’s outside of the programmed material, the computer is simply letting things run on with the universe already created going in whatever direction springs from Connie’s actions.”
“Then we must strike her with the proverbial clout of reality, Mister Whittekar.” Eugene pronounced. “We must add more to the program. We must convince Connie to exit the machine.”
Whit frowned. “But how much would we have to do? If Connie is as immersed in this experience as she seems, if she wants this to be her new reality… Then everything we do will affect her far more than the a normal program. I can’t calculate what will happen. We’d be presuming on God’s deliverance a great deal to say the least.” Whit rapped his knuckles against the metal door, and spoke into the microphone. “Connie? Connie, please answer me. Connie?”
….
“Connie, please.”
… … …
“Connie, if you don’t answer me, I’ll have to come in and get you.”
………
“Alright.” Whit took a deep breath, and in that breath, a hundred words flashed through his mind. A hundred words of prayer.
He pressed on the handle.
Whit did many things in the few seconds it took for the door to open. He prepared himself. For a lot. He prepared himself to see Connie lying unconscious. To see her sick. To see her looking at him defiantly, unwilling to leave.
He was unprepared for what he saw.
Connie stood. Calmly. Peacefully. Her eyes closed. A blissful expression on her radiant, tan face. The mascara on her eyelids a locked doorway to her soul. Whit knew her expression.
The same expression came over Jenny when she died.
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
Starflower1234
Cookies & Creme

Wow! Great story, I love it, especially this newest part. Though the end of Part Two was a little rushed, but other than that, it's awesome! I can't wait to find out what happens next. I'm guessing that the program went too far. I love how creative this is, I've never though about if you could stay in the Room of Consequence forever, and especially if what happened at the end of Part Three is even possible, if it's what I'm guessing it is, that the program went on until it came to Connie's death. I love it. :)
I made a promise, Mr. Frodo. A promise. "Don't you leave him Samwise Gamgee." And I don't mean to. I don't mean to. - Sam from The Fellowship of the Ring movie
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you! - Sam from The Return of the King movie
godisawesomeness99
Raspberry Ripple

Okay, I'm officially scared now!
here from time to time....

Psalm 73:24
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

I finally read through this, after telling myself I would for a week. ;)

I was easily able to picture the whole story so far. You captured Connie almost perfectly! I'll be waiting for more.
"Happy Birthday to Hot Leaf Water Ess!" - Belle
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

:twisted: What makes you think there's more? :twisted:
I have it about written up, so it may be soon... Or it may be in a million years. Thanks for all of your comments. I appreciate them and enjoy reading them. If any of you have any criticism, let me know. Much as I enjoy compliments, I really appreciate it when people let me know if they spot a problem. But naturally... there's nothing objectionable about being told how talented you are.
You're great readers, and thanks to all of you!
Suzy Lou Foolish
Peanut Butter Cup

Ohh, this is absolutely fantastic! Like T.S said, you captured Connie's personality wonderfully. The happiness, the sorrow, a touch of humor. It was perfect! I could feel the emotion, even became teary a few times. Great job! Who knows...maybe you'll end up being a writer for AiO some day, dear. ;)

As usual, I'm not full of criticism. Though, agreeing with Mr. Thinker, the last scenes- particularly the one with Whit's death, sounded slightlyy rushed. Not much of a problem, seeing as it is the RoC...I'd might have enjoyed seeing more of how Connie handled that, though.
Anywayy, I'm quite impressed! The part where Connie wakes up in her home for the first time was my favorite scene! I could just imagine the characters acting it in my mind- Connie: "Aah-oh! Mitch, we're in a jungle!" Mitch: "Um, yeah, and we're also on earth."

I hope there'll be more soon! *hint, hint*
Samantha14
Mint Chocolate Chip

Still waiting for more... Such a great story... and I CAN'T STINKIN' READ THE REST!! You HAVE to get the rest out. :P ;)

Now then, as far as criticism goes, I really don't have any. I might agree that the Whit's death scene was a bit rushed... but, It still worked out really well and I enjoyed it. ;)
SparkyHappyGiraffe
Fudge Marble

I'M WAITING!!!! In other words I'm scared and want to know what's going on (Great writing btw)
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Sorry guys, completely forgot about this. But here you go.

“Connie, why did I leave the FBI?” Mitch sighed, as he stared down at the Odyssey Times on the living room table. Connie smiled lovingly as a lock of his hair fell over forehead.
But she felt troubled. “Mtich, what’s wrong?”
“Nothing.”
“Something.”
“I… I’ve been regretting things. I wish I could take better care of you and Constance… I just haven’t been able to keep a job since my company failed. Sometimes I think it would’ve been better for you if… you hadn’t married me at all.”
“No! Mitch, I–”
Knock, knock.
Connie sighed. “I’ll get it.” She gave Mitch a long, bright smile over her shoulder. Holding back tears. Opening it, she frowned, then exclaimed, “Jeff!?”
“Hi, Connie!” The muscular man that won her heart so long ago smiled his white-toothed smile. “I’ve been looking for you for years. And now you turn out to be HERE. I wanted to tell you something…” Jeff pulled a crucifix out the front of his shirt on a necklace. “I had a bit of an experience. I had… well… quite the dream.”
Connie gasped. “Oh, Jeff! I… I’m thrilled, but… oh Jeff… I’m… ” Tears stung Connie’s eyes. “I’m sorry. I’m...”
Jeff hung his head. “I thought you might be.”
“Jeff…”
“I have to go. Bye. I’ll talk to you sometime soon.” Jeff turned and walked to his car.
Connie sat on the couch, thinking of Jeff.
Two years later, Connie smiled longingly into Mitch’s aged face. “I guess it’s over. I’ll miss you.” She thought of Whit, when he nearly died. I just wish he could be by my side. I just wish… But this is better. This is how things should be.
Constance, her hair still in adorable pigtails, now dangling past he shoulders, beautiful soft tassels upon her lovely head, bit her lip. Her eyes wetted, but she bravely held the tears back. “I love you forever, Mommy.” Her boyfriend hugged her tight.
Mitch stroked Connie’s hand. “I’ll always be here. I promise.”
Their lips pressed together a final time.
“I love you.” Connie sighed. Her body grew cold. The world dimmed.

“Is she dying?” Emily whispered, her green eyes even larger than usual.
The doctor shook his head. “I’m sorry, I… just don’t know.” He visibly fought to keep his voice steady. “She’s not in a coma, she’s not conscious, she… I don’t what’s happening to her. I’m sorry, I just don’t know.”
Whit’s hands trembled. Oh, Lord God, I beg you, don’t let her die. Not because of me. Keep her alive. Keep her alive. “Heavenly Father, your will be done.”
Connie sighed. A gurgling sound. Lips forming one sighing word. “Mitch.”

Flash!
Connie looked around in surprise. The same room… the same computer… Mitch, in the same position. “What happened…”
“… What do you mean?” Mitch folded his hands in his lap.
“Oh, nothing. What were you saying?”
“Well…” Mitch took out a ring. “Will you marry me?”
“Yes! I will!” And they kissed.
Samantha14
Mint Chocolate Chip

Oh my gosh... This was incredible, Finally!! I was getting tired of waiting!! Now I'M have to wait longer...sigh. But, it was super good. Now it's my turn, huh? Emily awaits...
Connie_Kendall
Peanut Butter Cup

Oh wow. oh wow. This is amazing. You are a talented writer, PF. This is a very good story. Please give more, soon!!
fodo14
Raspberry Ripple

Your writting could use some work ( it's a little confusing ). But the over all plot, and ideas are really good. :D. Keep it up.