"Swearing"

What do you believe and why? Here's the place to discuss anything relating to church and God.
Okie
Caramel Crunch

Swear words are everywhere, but I think that hearing them/saying them, are two different things.
Most non-Christian movies/books have some of that type of language - Its unavoidable.
If you hear it but don't say it then you have successfully kept you mouth from saying things that don't edify.
Some people argue that saying 'Oh my God' in happy surprise (such as receiving a large gift or your football teem just won) is OK, while saying it in anger or disgust is breaking the 3rd commandment.
It's all the same. you are not using God's name in reverence or worship.
The Bible clearly lays out there what you are not supposed to say. Period.
There are no cases, then, in which that is OK.
I know some of you will not agree with me but that's what this forum is for right? discussing our beliefs.
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

Um... no one was arguing that saying "Oh my God" was okay in any circumstance. It's not, and the Bible clearly says that. No one really seems to be addressing my point though. Is casual swearing technically a sin or not?
Sir Arnold, Knight of the Order of Augustine, Debate Vampire
Mr. Yorp wrote:You don't need a degree to shovel manure.
Okie
Caramel Crunch

I think if it does not edify, and it otherwise does not add to the conversation, it is an aspersion and should not be used in conversation. Why say it?

[quote=ArnoldtheRubberDucky]Um... no one was arguing that saying "Oh my God" was okay in any circumstance.[/quote]
Well see, my uncle says it and I don't like it so I asked him about it (or rather my cousin who kinda picked it up from him) and she said that if used not in disgust it was fine.... I don't agree
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

And neither do I.

As for your other argument, I believe I already mentioned that casual swearing doesn't really "add anything special" to a conversation. I'm not saying that casual swearing is a good, moral thing that the world needs more of, but I don't believe it's an "aspersion", as you say. It's a completely neutral statement, and should, in many ways, be treated like any other neutral statement. Do the substitute words for swearing that people use add anything to a conversation either? No, but nobody really complains when people say them the way that people will freak out over cuss words.
Novatom
Raspberry Ripple

"Oh my God" is wrong but my brother (not you Ducky) says 'good Lord,' and I always wonder if that's the same thing.
17:39<Novatom>: I'm in another boat. A boat of people who don't know what everyone's talking about. A boat that is sinking.
17:40<Sameriazx>: oh no... here we go again...
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

It's treating a name/title of God flippantly, so I'd say it qualifies.
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
Mr. Yorp
Cookies & Creme

I agree.
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

Me too. First time I've ever agreed with Mr. Yorp. ;)
Gooey98
Raspberry Ripple

Novatom wrote:"Oh my God" is wrong but my brother (not you Ducky) says 'good Lord,' and I always wonder if that's the same thing.
In my book, if you're unsure about whether it's the "same thing", you're getting too legalistic. What's more important is the heart of the person saying it. Romans 14:2- 6 NASB says
"One person has faith that he may eat all things, but he who is weak eats vegetables only. The one who eats is not to regard with contempt the one who does not eat, and the one who does not eat is not to judge the one who eats, for God has accepted him. Who are you to judge the servant of another? To his own master he stands or falls; and he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand. One person regards one day above another, another regards every day alike. Each person must be fully convinced in his own mind."
In the case that you find something in the Bible to be somewhat unclear, you should do whatever seems right to you. If it makes you uncomfortable to say "good Lord", then don't say it. If you think it's alright, that's fine. "Each person must be fully convinced in his own mind."

Also, I'm curious from where you're getting that saying "Oh my god" is clearly wrong. I mean, I know the 3rd commandment says not to take the name of the Lord "in vain", but there's nowhere in the New Testament that requires us to follow Old Testament law to my understanding. I don't say it, but not necessarily because I think it's morally wrong. I just don't want to get into the habit.
Again, if you think it's wrong, then don't do it; I'm just curious if you have a reasoning behind it.
My David Crowder*Band website: http://dcbplus.weebly.com
My YouTube: http://youtube.com/WillLocatelli
My gaming YouTube: http://youtube.com/KingGrahamGaming
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

I always got the impression that we were to still keep the Ten Commandments, but not the rest of the Mosaic law (to the letter, anyway).
Gooey98
Raspberry Ripple

Yeah, that's the way most people seem to view it. I've always been given that impression as well.
But is there anywhere in the Bible that actually sets the "Ten Commandments" apart from the rest of Mosaic law? I don't know if there is. But I haven't read enough of the Bible to know.
Mr. Yorp
Cookies & Creme

It is interesting that this website will censor cr-p, but not other swear words, s---, gosh, geez?
Last edited by Mr. Yorp on Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SirWhit
Banana Fudge

This website doesn't censor [censored], I think.

And why are you even bringing that up again? Why even partially type that other word?
Mr. Yorp
Cookies & Creme

It did though, look.
Wakko
Pistachio

Mr. Whit's End wrote:This website doesn't censor [censored], I think.

And why are you even bringing that up again? Why even partially type that other word?
Apparently it does now, it didn't used to though.
SirWhit
Banana Fudge

Hmm. I didn't know that. Interesting.
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

Gooey98 wrote:Yeah, that's the way most people seem to view it. I've always been given that impression as well.
But is there anywhere in the Bible that actually sets the "Ten Commandments" apart from the rest of Mosaic law? I don't know if there is. But I haven't read enough of the Bible to know.
I think that the general idea is that we follow the Ten Commandments because Jesus expanded the intepretation of the Ten Commandments but fulfilled the sacrificial system of the law. The Mosaic codes don't need to be followed anymore because their purpose was to point to Jesus and He filled the needs of the law—to have a perfect sacrifice to atone for sin. However, Jesus did address the Ten Commandments directly as moral law, and the gists of most (if not all) of the Ten Commadments are found in the New Testament, whereas the strict standards of the rest of the Mosaic law codes are declared by Paul under divine inspiration to be a "curse" under which we no longer live.
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

I added in new swear word filters as it was obvious they were needed.
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~
SirWhit
Banana Fudge

Yes, and thank you for doing that.
Gooey98
Raspberry Ripple

Good points, TigerShadow.
Thanks Belle!