Communion: Open or Closed?

What do you believe and why? Here's the place to discuss anything relating to church and God.
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Communion: Open or Closed?

Should communion be open to all Christians or only to members of that church or denomination? What does your church do? How often does your church do communion?
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

If a non-Christian "Christian" took communion openly, who would be at fault for letting that happen? The church or the unconverted person for taking communion when he/she shouldn't have?
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~
AKA Countess Concordia of the Chat, Regalia, and the Queen of Sarcasm

I am a personal quirk. --Adrian Dreamwalker
The Old Judge
Mint Chocolate Chip

In answer to your question, Eleventh, our church does closed communion, only allowing church members to partake of the Lord's Supper. Our church takes the Lord's Supper several times a year, though there is no organized dates for it. Pastor does Communion randomly, as in the past when those services were scheduled, people would show up that normally would not come to church. Pastor believes that people should come to church out of a heart for God and a desire to hear His Word preached. As such, he didn't want people to come to church solely for the purpose of taking the Lord's Supper.
Do you think you know music? Guess the hints at the end of each of my posts in A Musical Journey. (The name's a link. You can click it.)
HomeschoolCowgirl
Peach Cobbler

Our church does communion on the first Sunday every month, and it is open to any Christian whether they're from our church or not.

In answer to MF, I don't know about other churches but at mine, the pastor always says before hand, "if you are a Christian but have unconfessed sin in your life or a broken relationship that you won't reconcile, please let the bread and cup pass by you". He also reads the verse that says "Those who eat the bread or drink the cup in an unworthy manner eat and drink judgement on themselves" or something like that.
"Musical training is a more potent instrument than any other, for rhythm and harmony find their way into the inner places of the soul... making the soul of one who is rightly educated, graceful" -- Socrates
Helios
Butter Pecan

Our church does communion every Sunday, and so far as I can tell, they don't stop non-members or any visitors from partaking in it. I noticed that seems to be up to the people individually. Sometimes I skip it when I feel that something is wrong with me and another person, or with me and God.
Audrey
Cookies & Creme

HomeschoolCowgirl wrote: In answer to MF, I don't know about other churches but at mine, the pastor always says before hand, "if you are a Christian but have unconfessed sin in your life or a broken relationship that you won't reconcile, please let the bread and cup pass by you".
Do you mind explaining what you mean by that? Like, what do you mean by broken relationship?

Personally, at my "new church" (been going there for 4 years but I went to another before that for 5), any believer can take communion. Member of the denomination, church, didn't matter. At the church I went before that, no one under 18 took communion, and even then you had to be a member of the church and denomination, and be baptized I believe. Theirs was also weekly, compared to my new church that does it monthly. I think it's more special that way tbh.

I like my new church better.
An owl and a squirrel are sitting in a tree, watching a farmer go by. The owl turns to the squirrel and says nothing, because owls can't talk. The owl then eats the squirrel because it is a bird of prey.
HomeschoolCowgirl
Peach Cobbler

Like, a family member or friend that you won't forgive, or something like that...
"Musical training is a more potent instrument than any other, for rhythm and harmony find their way into the inner places of the soul... making the soul of one who is rightly educated, graceful" -- Socrates
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

So most people seem to believe in open communion. I have a couple follow up questions for those who believe in open communion. As it relates to your own communion, would it be open to a Catholic or to a Mormon?

As it relates to other communions, how would you feel about taking communion at another church? And if you went somewhere with closed communion would you partake anyway?
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

Our church has an open communion, but while it would be considered open to a Catholic (or an Eastern Orthodox Christian, for that matter), it would not be open to a Mormon, as we do not consider Mormons to be Christians.

I'm fine with taking communion at another church, as long as it's open to me (although I'm admittedly not fond of wine). If the communion is closed, however, then I would not partake, as it would be disrespectful to that local body of believers.
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
jehoshaphat
Cookies & Creme

As I have said before Catholics believe in closed communion and War_Doctor, why do you always ask if Catholics could receive at Protestant communion? You know that a good Catholic would never receive communion outside of the Church. I understand you are basically asking what are their beliefs on the Christianness of Catholics but you could have the same effect asking if an EO could.

What is everyone's opinions on the frequency of communion? Should it be taken daily, weekly, monthly, et cetera?
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

We've had this discussion before, I do know a Catholic wouldn't receive communion outside the Church. All though I've had Catholics tell me they can take communion at EO churches and I can take communion at RC churches. The question wouldn't have the same effect if I asked about EO because people don't know about EO.

It should be taken daily.

TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

My church takes communion once a month and on special occasions, such as holidays and large gatherings.
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
HomeschoolCowgirl
Peach Cobbler

Eleventh Doctor wrote:So most people seem to believe in open communion. I have a couple follow up questions for those who believe in open communion. As it relates to your own communion, would it be open to a Catholic or to a Mormon?

As it relates to other communions, how would you feel about taking communion at another church? And if you went somewhere with closed communion would you partake anyway?
I don't think so; in my church the pastor says "If your sins have been forgiven through the blood of Christ and you trust in Him alone for your salvation, then you are welcome to the table; it is not ours, it is God's" or something like that.

If it was open to everyone, yes I probably would participate; if it was closed to non-members, I would respect that and not take part.
jehoshaphat
Cookies & Creme

@Eleventh, on this forum most people know you and know about EO so I think it would have the same effect as asking about Catholics

Do people have biblical evidence for receiving only every once in a while? I personally believe we should as frequently as possible.
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

jehoshaphat wrote:Do people have biblical evidence for receiving only every once in a while? I personally believe we should as frequently as possible.
What difference does it make?
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~

jehoshaphat
Cookies & Creme

It makes a huge difference based on your beliefs concerning communion and in regards to Biblical commands regarding communion.
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Where did Jesus say we should do it as much as possible?

jehoshaphat
Cookies & Creme

Jesus never mentions any specific frequency only as often as you do drink the cup and eat the bread should you do it in remembrance of him.

What I am more steering towards is what is the purpose or meaning of communion? Why do we do it at all?
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

We do it to remember Christ.

For me, if I did it everyday, it would become commonplace and not as special.

jehoshaphat
Cookies & Creme

We do it to receive the very body, blood, soul, and divinity of my dearly beloved lord Jesus Christ and because of that receiving it every day does not become commonplace but rather it builds me up and brings me closer to God.