Sola Scriptura

What do you believe and why? Here's the place to discuss anything relating to church and God.
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Scripture is still part of the authority for Christians, it's just not the only one. We use discernment tempered by Tradition.

A question for you though, how do you as a Sola Scriptura Christian discern what is just your thoughts and opinions about the interpretation of Scripture?
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

TigerShadow wrote:Put it this way: she's AWOL.
Well, if abandoning Sola is a big step to being AWOL, it's a big deal is it not?
TigerShadow wrote:Honestly, I've always learned that Protestantism is just "anything that sprang up as a reaction to Catholicism or a subreaction of same". If it formed during the Reformation or as an off-shoot from a Reformation group, it's Protestant. As far as I am aware, the five solas are a key difference, but they're not the only key difference.
Disclaimer, if you don't feel like debating this it's obviously fine. That said, ideas like praying to the saints is not good, Mary should not be regularly venerated in word, song and art, or transubstatniation is phony, all proceed from the Sola Scriptora perspective. Ideas it is good to pray to the saints, is good to venerate Mary, it is good to believe in transubstantiation, proceed from rejecting Sola Scriptura and accepting Catholicism and the doctrine thereof. So Sola Scriptura is the difference because it is the one from which the others proceed.

The differences of opinion that proceed from Sola are huge. Sometimes, they seem outright repulsive and greatly sad to those who dont' believe in Sola. Such as, the idea that Christians are the special "chosen ones" and everyone who isn't Christian, too bad for you, you're going to Hell (but not us, we're special that way.) Affectively making you believe in a very different God from those who don't believe that idea.

That does sound Silly, ox.
Last edited by Pound Foolish on Wed May 11, 2016 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

Pound Foolish wrote:Well, if abandoning Sola is a big step to being AWOL, it's a big deal is it not?
Actually, I thought you were referring to her presence on the board as a whole, not just within the context of this debate.

As to your next paragraphs, I said I don't care enough or know enough to feel comfortable debating, a fact that has been pretty clearly proven within this thread.
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
jehoshaphat
Cookies & Creme

The Church which God started. The Bible has no authority by itself, it only has authority because God gave it authority. The people who put the Bible together, namely, the Church, are the only ones who have the rightful authority to interpret it.
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

TigerShadow wrote:As to your next paragraphs, I said I don't care enough or know enough to feel comfortable debating, a fact that has been pretty clearly proven within this thread.
Yas you did, and as I said, that's "obviously fine."

I will say I'm flabbergasted you and Belle, "don't care." I mean we all have different issues, but again, this is where all our other differences proceed from. When you use the Bible and only the Bible as the ultimate authority to tell you what theology is correct, obviously that's where the other differences come from, so obviously it's the key difference at the heart of the differences. That's all pretty clear, isn't it? But if you don't care I'm not bothered, we live to debate on something else another day. Toodles.
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

Pound Foolish wrote: I will say I'm flabbergasted you and Belle, "don't care." I mean we all have different issues, but again, this is where all our other differences proceed from.
There's a difference between "not caring" and not having the knowledge to form arguments foe this deep of a debate. That's simply where I'm at, I'm not even that great of a debater in other subjects. :P
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~
NinjaHunter
Raspberry Ripple

Belle wrote:
Pound Foolish wrote: I will say I'm flabbergasted you and Belle, "don't care." I mean we all have different issues, but again, this is where all our other differences proceed from.
There's a difference between "not caring" and not having the knowledge to form arguments foe this deep of a debate. That's simply where I'm at, I'm not even that great of a debater in other subjects. :P
Sounds good to me.

Etc., etc.: I, Ninjahunter
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

A question for you, how do you as a Sola Scriptura Christian discern what is just your thoughts and opinions about the interpretation of Scripture?
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Pound Foolish wrote:That does sound Silly, ox.
Ox. O_O Your post was actually acknowledged. o_0
Eleventh Doctor wrote:p.s. Miss Friendship doesn't believe in the Solas anymore
I don't know if I ever even did really. ?
Pound Foolish wrote:Though speaking of, Good Doctor, what the hey is MF then?
He kidnapped me and tied me up in an Orthodox parish basement until I converted.
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~
AKA Countess Concordia of the Chat, Regalia, and the Queen of Sarcasm

I am a personal quirk. --Adrian Dreamwalker
NinjaHunter
Raspberry Ripple

Eleventh Doctor wrote:Scripture is still part of the authority for Christians, it's just not the only one. We use discernment tempered by Tradition. A question for you though, how do you as a Sola Scriptura Christian discern what is just your thoughts and opinions about the interpretation of Scripture?
Uh, with discernment tempered by Scripture. Not much different from you, but without holding Tradition on par with the Bible.
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

I think that's a pretty significant difference actually. It also explains why the Protestant Reformation months after it begun had already split into several camps and continues to split into different denominations to this day.

If your individual discernment is the only truly authoritative source of doctrine then you're going to have some problems, starting off first with how do you decide what Scripture to use in Sola Scriptura?

NinjaHunter
Raspberry Ripple

Eleventh Doctor wrote:I think that's a pretty significant difference actually. It also explains why the Protestant Reformation months after it begun had already split into several camps and continues to split into different denominations to this day.
Somehow this does not sound like a necessarily bad thing to me.
Eleventh Doctor wrote:If your individual discernment is the only truly authoritative source of doctrine then you're going to have some problems, starting off first with how do you decide what Scripture to use in Sola Scriptura?
Incorrect. Scripture is the only truly authoritative source of doctrine. All you have to do is figure out what the original meaning of the texts are, and presto, you have your doctrine. Should you have trouble figuring out the meaning, there are plenty of Bible scholars who will be happy to help. They will disagree with each other of course, so it is up to you to study on your own and to listen critically. This is as opposed to accepting what your church says cuz "Tradition"!

Etc., etc.: I, Ninjahunter
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

You think having tens of thousands of different denominations is the best representation of the Body of Christ?
NinjaHunter wrote:All you have to do is figure out what the original meaning of the texts are, and presto, you have your doctrine.
That simple huh? I was more meaning even which texts do you use? Because the Reformers decided to use a different text than had historically been used, so how is Sola Scriptura a solid base for authority if you can change the text?
NinjaHunter wrote:Should you have trouble figuring out the meaning, there are plenty of Bible scholars who will be happy to help. They will disagree with each other of course, so it is up to you to study on your own and to listen critically. This is as opposed to accepting what your church says cuz "Tradition"!
So your individual discernment is the ultimate authority. I mean it sounds like you're just trading our Traditions for lots of Bible scholars and your own know how.