Should Christians (Followers of Jesus) go to War?

What do you believe and why? Here's the place to discuss anything relating to church and God.
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Mr. Yorp wrote:Why did Jesus use violence in the Temple?
Because he was upset at the way the Jews were treating His father's temple.
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~
AKA Countess Concordia of the Chat, Regalia, and the Queen of Sarcasm

I am a personal quirk. --Adrian Dreamwalker
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

But I thought Jesus said never fight.
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
DredgeAmazing
Cookies & Creme

I take it you didn't listen to "Sgt. York, Pt. 3". It explains this complicated junk quite well.

-- Fri May 08, 2015 10:54 pm --
[Content deleted]

-- Fri May 08, 2015 10:56 pm --
Eleventh Doctor wrote:But I thought Jesus said never fight.
This sounds very adult, but ever heard of Ammon, Tamar, and Absalom? This is righteous anger. Jesus said "turn to the other cheek", not "roll over and play dead".
God called His men into holy war all the time, and of course he was with them!

-- Fri May 08, 2015 10:57 pm --
(See above) \:D/

-- Fri May 08, 2015 11:00 pm --

Oooo, lookit those posts!
"And here I am, prattling on like an old fool!"

-- Fri May 08, 2015 11:00 pm --

Gonna call it a night. G'nite, folks.
LIVE in color, but 1968 color nonetheless
--A very misguided Panasonic viewer
TigerShadow wrote:
I think Disney should focus on making their line more ethnically diverse instead of focusing on more white girls.
I know Martin is smiling down.
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

He did.

#1 Jesus never killed anyone in the temple
#2 We never read about him striking anyone (we only have "dumping the money changers stands over")
#3 Jesus is God. He can do whatever He pleases. God is not non-resistance. While He calls His followers to be so, God will take vengeance on who He wishes too.

I think that is a reason why we are called not to fight. God is a merciful and often gives the very criminals who put a gun in our face another chance at repenting. If we would shoot them, we would be getting in God's way.
DredgeAmazing wrote:I take it you didn't listen to "Sgt. York, Pt. 3". It explains this complicated junk quite well.
I did listen to "Sgt. York"--all of it. Complicated junk, eh? Well I hope I never come to the point where I call Jesus's words, and good debates on worthwhile subjects "junk."
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~

Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

So when God says be ye perfect as I am perfect He wasn't talking about non-resistance?
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

I just established His act in the temple had nothing to do with hurting His enemies. Out of love, He purified the temple of the animals and money. If you translate that to mean violence, then that's your interpretation.

Mr. Yorp
Cookies & Creme

What did he use the whip on? He DROVE them out of the temple.

Also violence is not the same as exicuting (or killing) somebody.
SirWhit
Banana Fudge

Defending yourself is not necessarily the same as killing someone either.
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Again just because Jesus did this doesn't mean we have to try to be God too. We KNOW what he taught specifically, so why try to excuse "turning the other cheek," because of one incident where Jesus is taking revenge for God.

As stated before, God is not non-resistant. He pours out His wrath on who He wants to, but that doesn't mean we should also. We are commanded not to judge, and God clearly judges people, is that then an excuse for us to judge too?

SirWhit
Banana Fudge

Look. Blocking a punch does not equal "judging" someone. And I'll ask again. God told the Israelites to kill people in the conquest of Canaan? Would God tell people to sin?

-- Sun May 10, 2015 7:42 pm --

I mean, killing people to take over their land doesn't exactly seem non resistant to me.
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

So you believe we should obey the OT as well as the New Testament? Do you obey all those laws in Exodus? If you don't, you aren't being consistent.

You have to realize the Bible is not a flat Bible. When Jesus came He reconstructed the old law. For instance He said, "Ye have heard that it ha been said, an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth, but i say into you that you resist not evil" and so on. Jesus came to build a new Kingdom...and it wasnt an earthly Kingdom, thus swords and viloence were out of the picture. This Kingdom is for anyone willing, so how can we, as followers of Jesus, kill other nations or people. People Jesus invited to be part of His kingdom.

The Jews were only an earthly nation chosen by God to bring Jesus into the world.

SirWhit
Banana Fudge

I believe that we still need to keep the Ten Commandments. The laws nailed to the cross were the ceremonial laws (i.e. stuff like a blue tassel in each robe).

OK, that sounds nice but you didn't answer my question. God told the Israelites to kill people in the conquest of Canaan? Since war is sinful, would God tell people to sin?
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

No He wouldn't. When God commands, its never sin. When God commanded the Jews to conquer Caanan it would have been sin not to fight. When God commands that His Kingdom not fight, nor do violence to any man, it would be a sin to fight!

Well the ten commandments says not to kill. So we should keep that yes.

SirWhit
Banana Fudge

OK. One question. If Jesus said "Don't defend yourself," why did he tell his disciples to get a sword? (http://www.esvbible.org/Luke+22.35-38)
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

You sound like Jared DeWhite. I will give you the same answer.

Jesus never told His disciples to use the sword on people.

SirWhit
Banana Fudge

I would appreciate it if you stopped insulting me by calling me a troll. During this debate I have been nothing but courteous towards you and I would appreciate the same.

What was the point of the sword, though? If not for defense than what for?
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

JD asked me the same question. Sorry for insulting you. I didn't mean at all that you were a troll. I do want to be kind and courteous.

Not sure. But I am sure Jesus had his reasons. Another time He told them not to travel with a sword and He rebuked Peter for cutting off a mans ear. Anyhow if Jesus taught them to love their enemies I am sure the sword had a different purpose. Maybe like protecting themselves from wild animals? It wasn't like Jesus was traveling with all of them on their journeys, and they needed protection from lions. (Just a guess)

SirWhit
Banana Fudge

im leaving this debate. I've said all I want to say. MF in response I would say thank you for your apology and I apologize for misreading your message. And I think that Jesus rebuked Peter for trying to stop events that had to occur, not for trying to defend him.
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Nice debating with you too.

Although one thing more. Jesus said to Peter, "Put your sword back in its place, for those who use the sword will die by the sword"

I don't really see anything about events relating to that. But your own interpretation...

Mr. Yorp
Cookies & Creme

Peter was rebuked because he was trying to stop what he didn't know was the greatest event in history.