The Apparel & Adornment of Women and Men

What do you believe and why? Here's the place to discuss anything relating to church and God.
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

The Apparel & Adornment of Women and Men

I believe that people should dress modestly - men and women. They should dress in a way which is pleasing to God. We must take Scripture literally (usually), not add or take away.

Here is what I think (you will disagree - I know YOU WILL, and I have a hunch who's going to be the first one)
We men should not wear short pants - it reveals our body and is a shame. Even if we could - I think it is better to stay away from exposing our body (though not like a scribe or Pharisee). Just look at Genesis 9 and see what happened. Look at Genesis chapter 3 and Revelation 3:18 which speak against neudity. For before sin entered the world it was okay for Adam & Eve to be naked - they were holy. But, sin entered the world and God made 2 skins of goats for them. We should not wear long hair - for it is a shame even in nature (1 Cor. 11:14).

Women should not wear pants. Deuteronomy 22:5 says "The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God." 1 Timothy 2:9 & 1 Peter 3:3 tell us not to wear jewelry or immodest apparel (pants on women immodest and form-fitting as well as mini-skirts & tutus). Indeed, immodest apparel can cause "the lust of the flesh" AND "the pride of life". Women should not be naked or half-naked - such women has caused many a man to commit adultery. Women should not wear short hair - for long hair is a glory to her. i.e. To God's eyes, long hair on women is a glory.

You will probably call me a legalist - but we must take Scripture as Scripture not add or delete. A legalist believes that good works will save you - I don't believe that. Another definition of a legalist is: one who is too strict. I'm not to strict. Just because we dress modestly does not mean that we have to dress like monks, nuns, Amish, Mennonites, scribes, or Pharisees.
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

John Henry wrote:Deuteronomy 22:5 says "The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God."
TigerShadow wrote:...You are aware that pants made for women are just that—made for women? Pants have become a woman's garment—they are cut and sewn to fit our body type and make us look like women. As near as I can tell, that verse isn't saying that women shouldn't wear pants—I'd like for you to show me in the Bible where it says, literally, "Women who wear pants are condemned to hell, because even though pants aren't even a thing yet, women wearing them is an abomination because they have arbitarily been declared a men's garment". As a matter of fact, I did some research on the topic, and apparently what the verse is talking about pertains to armor and garments of a warrior—basically, women were forbidden to use what the men traditionally wore in their armor (thus, when Jael assassinated General Sisera in Judges, she used a tent peg—it would have been against God's law for her to use a sword). (Source: http://www.actseighteen.com/articles/women-pants.htm)

What is a "man's garment" and a "woman's garment" changes with culture. So are you saying that we ought to define the way we dress by the changes of our culture? Are Biblical manhood and womanhood subject to change, then, based on what our culture decides is masculine and feminine? It's interesting to note that what men and women wore both in Moses's day and in Jesus's weren't that distinctive from one another other than by style—much like men's and women's pants these days are stylistically very different. You (I'm going to assume that you're male by your username) couldn't squeeze into a pair of my blue jeans, nor I your dress pants, without either of us looking and feeling ridiculous. There's still a difference and women who wear pants still look distinct from men without the world going up in flames.
Tl:dr—pants are only a man's garment because the sexist culture of a time long past said they were, yet we should cling to these ideas knowing that this is not what God actually intended?
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Hey how did I not respond to this first? ;)

Why shouldn't we dress like monks and nuns?
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

John Henry wrote:I believe that people should dress modestly - men and women. They should dress in a way which is pleasing to God.
Agreed. However, I think that the term "modest" can be very subjective- and also relative to one's culture.

Also, while I think it is best to dress in a way that is respectful to others, that choice is ultimately up to the individual, including what is most practical and comfortable for them. Even of all Christians wore gigantic boxes, there are still billions of other people out there that we have to deal with every day. Each person is responsible for their own thoughts and actions, and we just have to learn to live with the people who don't behave like we want them to. ;)
"Happy Birthday to Hot Leaf Water Ess!" - Belle
Spoon
Cookies & Creme

John Henry -

From what I can understand, you believe it to be wrong to expose any skin whatsoever? Or just legs and shoulders/neck?

Why are shins any more lust-inducing than arms, hands, or feet?

If exposing skin is what causes lust (or at least makes it more of a problem), why do you think rape is a problem in areas of the Middle East? Women are covered head to toe and still get raped (and even blamed).

Also, does this mean no interaction with water (besides a shower now and again) of any kind should happen? Baptisms make clothes (head to toe coverings, naturally) wet, which tends to make them a bit more form-fitting.
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

My mother says that in TV men (no doubt married men) hug these singers, etc.
I also reject makeup, painting fingernails, and growing fingernails.
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

John Henry wrote:My mother says that in TV men (no doubt married men) hug these singers, etc.
So hugging is now a sin? I'm assuming kissing is out, too?
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

Then, can a MARRIED MAN hug somebody who isn't his wife - that's adultery.
Spoon
Cookies & Creme

Whoa there. Let's take a second and breathe before you start calling most people in the world adulterers. Does hugging constitute sex? Or even sexual intent? Is the only place for a hug inside marriage?

If a man hugs another man, is it homosexuality?

If a mother hugs her child, is it incest?
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

Imagine - you're a wife. And, you saw you're husband hugging another woman in TV. Besides, if a man just look at a woman to lust after her - he already commits adultery in his own heart.
Spoon
Cookies & Creme

No one mentioned lust, simply hugging. Do you have any answers to my questions?
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

The men hugged these other women because of lust & love - why would they hug them? To kill them (Offensive Language)? To steal something from them? Also, these women were half-naked, and such women give lust to men - really.
Spoon
Cookies & Creme

Are we talking about these imaginary TV people or regular people in real life? Hugging isn't an action of lust, it's an action of compassion and connection.
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

Indeed, real people in life. But, these men already have wives - why are they hugging other women?
Spoon
Cookies & Creme

Are you suggesting that people hug other people in order to eventually mate?

Why do men hug other men? Why do women hug other women?
Samantha14
Mint Chocolate Chip

*hugs John Henry*

hrhrhr.
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

Show me who you are - who hugged me from behind - show me your picture! Hey, come out from where you're hiding. Hello, is anyone there? Hello? Hello? Hello...Hell...Hel...He...H...
Samantha14
Mint Chocolate Chip

I can't show you my picture. It would be exposing myself, which is immodest. D:

*note. this is all sarcasm and satire. put your pitchforks down.
Spoon
Cookies & Creme

John Henry -

Do you have any interest in answering questions? Or should I just assume you don't want to defend your position?
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

I do, but what questions: Adultery? The Bible said "Thou Shalt not commit Adultery."