Debating Catholicism

What do you believe and why? Here's the place to discuss anything relating to church and God.
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

First, I must tell you something, your post was very thought provoking, and you remind me very much of my Sunday School teacher. That is a compliment of the highest standard
Why, thank you kindly. ... Unless your teacher is flabby with glasses. But seriously, thank you, I'm pleased.
I should have said that I am working on researching more into this matter and discussing it with my AWANA teacher, who just happens to have been raised Catholic. I'll get back to you when I have more on the subject.
Commendable, I'm impressed. Sorry about the misunderstanding. Please do let me know if you find anything out. Love a challenge.
These 2 excerpts from your "novel" seem to contradict each other.
Excellent catch, bravo. Thank you for pointing that out, that was indeed a major misstep in the second remark, absolutely terrible wording. What I meant by "we are not fallen by birth" is that we cannot sin from birth. But we are indeed fallen. But our "fallen nature" is a term meaning we have the imprint of sin on us. As we both agree, we most certainly do. This is a result of Adam's sin, which is imprinted on us as he was the original representative of our race, all future times converging on that one choice. This is very complicated and confusing, and yet to be completely explained theologically by the Catholic church.
So I shouldn't have said "we aren't fallen from birth" because, technically, we are. But not in the sense we are capable of committing a sin, only in that have we sin on us.
And that "fallen nature" still doesn't mean that's our true nature, our heart.
To define what I mean by nature when I say fallen nature, I mean that's part of who we are, for we are indeed impure.
But when I say our nature is love, I mean that's our potential, our natural state, what defines us, our identity.
I am in a fallen state. I am also chocolate lover, but that's not my identity.
We were created by God, which means we were purely good when first created, for God makes no wrong. But we fell from that. So yes, we do have sin on us, as, since that time, the human race has been imperfect. Yet, we are still love. Imperfect love, yes, but love. Just because this love has fallen from perfection doesn't change that.
Is a chair a stain because it's stained? Is a blue diamond a worthless impurity because it has impurities?
We are still beautiful flowers. Having one of our petals torn off doesn't change this.
We are still love.
One of the tough questions I'm always asking myself is, "When is the age when God starts sending kids to Hell instead of Heaven for their actions?" It troubles me to end, you should know, and I haven't been able to come to a conclusive answer. I know, based upon what I have been saying, that as soon as babies are born, they don't go to Heaven, which makes no sense. When is the definitive age when babies know right from wrong?
\
While there's a great deal of Catholic theology surrounding this, there's no definitive answer to it set in stone yet. Though it's a generally accepted belief that God certainly doesn't condemn unbaptized babies to Hell.
How does that work of we do have an imperfect, fallen nature?
God doesn't send us to Hell. Hell isn't the fiery time-out chair where all the reject mortal baddies go. It's not a punishment. God gave us free will, yes? Otherwise we couldn't choose between right and wrong. So, in the end, we choose whether or not we go to Hell.
If we consciously and deliberately reject God for sin, we don't love God. If we do not love God, we will not wish to be with God.
Heaven is being given what we need, Hell is getting what we want.
However, babies have made no such choice.
You may believe Connie. I believe Whit. (This isn't a perfect quote, can't quite remember how it goes) "God doesn't abandon us and keep us from Heaven. We abandon him." The Marriage Feast.
And while we are on the subject of Purgatory, do you believe in doing it? Why?
Please find no offense in this,
but my first thought on the subject of purgatory is that it sounds an awful lot like what the Mormons do....
In our defense, while Mormons copycat much of Christianity, we've held these beliefs far longer than they have. And they turn such ideas on their heads and get them all wrong. But if you're wondering, yes, there is some fairly solid scriptural support fro Purgatory: “Amen, I say to you, you will not be released until you have paid the last penny.” Now we know that no last penny needs to be paid in Heaven and from Hell there is no liberation at all; hence the reference must apply to a third place.
There is some further evidence and facts, but that's enough for now.
In closing...
---------------------------[/center]
Christian
You are correct, I have never picked up a Catholic theology textbook. But I have heard from many people who have, and I myself have read portions of Councils like the Council of Trent, which seems to me to be the most important one. I have talked with Catholics about their faith, as we have a lot of them in Ohio.
That's... troubling. But also odd, that doesn't line up with my personal experience one bit. Anyhow, there's no way to really settle this without getting into the statistics of who knows more about their faith in tests, and so on. And that's going a bit far, eh what? But I will say that certainly fewer percent of Catholics really know their faith in this secular world than in the past. In the end though, that has nothing to do with the faith itself.
You are correct, I have never picked up a Catholic theology textbook. But I have heard from many people who have, and I myself have read portions of Councils like the Council of Trent, which seems to me to be the most important one. I have talked with Catholics about their faith, as we have a lot of them in Ohio.
I'm impressed, I haven't even read those. I've been meaning to recently, I'll have to assign one or two of them to myself for spring-break reading. But how then you could draw the conclusion that Catholics believe you are saved by works...??? If you posted a few quotes from the councils that lead you to that conclusion, I'll likely devote a few minutes to replying, though I can't say how soon.
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
Striped Leopard
Cookies & Creme

Gladly. :)
Council of Trent wrote:Canon 11. If anyone says that men are justified either by the sole imputation of the justice (righteousness) of Christ or by the sole remission of sins, excluding grace and charity which is poured into their hearts by the Holy Spirit and inheres in them, or also that the grace which justifies us is only the favour of God, let him be anathema.
Council of Trent wrote:Canon 12. If anyone says that justifying faith is nothing else than confidence in divine mercy, which remits sins for Christ's sake, or that it is this confidence alone that justifies us, let him be anathema.
Council of Trent wrote:Canon 24. If anyone says that the justice (righteousness) received is not preserved and also not increased before God through good works but that those works are merely the fruits and signs of justification obtained, but not the cause of the increase, let him be anathema.
Council of Trent wrote:Canon 30. If anyone says that after the reception of the grace of justification the guilt is so remitted and the debt of eternal punishment so blotted out to every repentant sinner, that no debt of temporal punishment remains to be discharged either in this world or in purgatory before the gates of heaven can be opened, let him be anathema.
Council of Trent wrote:Canon 32. If anyone says that the good works of the one justified are in such manner the gifts of God that they are not also the good merits of him justified; or that the one justified by the good works that he performs by the grace of God and the merit of Jesus Christ (of whom one is a living member), the justified does not truly merit an increase of grace, and eternal life, provided that one dies in the state of grace, the attainment of this eternal life, as well as an increase in glory, let him be anathema.
Keep in mind that "anathema" means "eternally [censored] to hell." Catholics were just about as strongly against Protestants back in this time period as many Protestants are against them now.
Formerly Christian A. :)
Jeremiah 13:23
Ezekiel 36:26-27
Ephesians 2:4-10

God has done the impossible! He has, in effect, changed a leopard's spots into stripes! He turned me, one who was accustomed to do evil, into one who can walk in good works! He brought me to life from the dead and gave me His Spirit, in order to cause me to walk in His statutes! He has totally changed me, and it is all for His glory!
NinjaThrowingStar
Raspberry Ripple

Nice metaphor. But though God washed away our sin, we still have free will. We can accept his gift of purity, or reject it. And confession is one of the ways in which God makes Heaven available to us. But if it wasn't for the crucifixion, we'd be trapped. Our sin would stay with us, no matter what. That being said, one's sins can be taken away by God after we die. Confession is basically like insurance. As to baptizing babies, again, babies are born with sin, but they can't sin, the verb.

Okay so why do you baptize babies then?? They are not old enough to understand they were born in sin, I mean they cant even talk. So how on earth can they confess of they're sin and get baptized??? ( Acts 2:38 - "Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.")

Why are these verses in the Bible, if its not truly "logical"??? (" Jeremiah 17:9 - The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?") How can we be "truly good" yet a deceitful heart? (Duetronomy 12:8 - "Ye shall not do after all the things that we do here this day, every man whatsoever is right in his own eyes.")
("Matthew 24:36-39 - "But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only. But as the days of Noe were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be." ) How were the days of Noah?

(Genesis 6:1-9 - And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them, That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose. And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years. There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown. And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart. And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.")
So if man is good by nature why did he do wrong from the start???

(Genesis 3:1-6 - "Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden? And the woman said unto the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden: But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die. And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die: For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil. And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.")
They only had two "rules". 1- Fellowship with God. 2- Do not eat of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. Yet they could not even obey theses "rules" in they perfect bodys. How can man who is fallen and has a sinful body be "good" at heart or "nature"???
What is forever..? I shall see you again. Just after the mist has faded and time has stopped, over on the other side. Enjoy your journey and I'll enjoy mine.
Samantha14
Mint Chocolate Chip

What kinds of clothes do you typically wear to church?

What kinds of music do you have?

Do you have a youth group?
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

Pound Foolish wrote: The angel Gabriele said, "Hail, full of grace, the lord is with you!" (Luke 1:28.) The phrase full of grace is a translation of the Greek word, kecharitomene. Which means it refers to a specific characteristic of Mary.
The traditional translation "full of grace" is sounder than the newer one in some recent editions of the Bible, that give something along the lines of "highly favored daughter." Mary was that indeed, to be sure, but the Greek implies more than that, and it never even mentions the word for "daughter."
The grace given to Mary is of a PERMANENT and unique kind.
Kecharitomene is passive participle of charitoo, meaning "to fill our endow wit grace." Since this term is in perfect tense, it indicates that Mary was graced in the past but is enjoying its affects in the present.
Which means Mary wasn't in a state of grace because of the angel.
She was born sinless. Pure.
And forever more shall be.
Alright, I have discussed it with my AWANA teacher, who in turn discussed it with a man who also goes to our church who was a Catholic for 33 years, and thoroughly studied Catholic beliefs.

"full of grace," means full of unmerited love or favor.

John 1:14-16 "And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth. John testified about Him and cried out, saying, "This was He of whom I said, ' He who comes after me has a higher rank than I, for He existed before me.' For of His fullness we have all received, and grace upon grace..."

John MacArthur's notes: v. 16 grace upon grace, "This phrase emphasizes the superabundance of grace that has been displayed by God toward mankind, especially believers..."
Meaning, that he has displayed grace upon all of us, not just Mary.

Ephesians 1:5-8 "He (God the Father) predestined us (true believers) to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will, to the praise of the glory of His grace, which He freely bestowed on us in the Beloved. In Him we have redemption through His blood for the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace which He lavished on us."

John MacArthur's notes: v.6 to the praise of the glory of His grace..."The ultimate purpose of election to salvation is the glory of God (cf. vv 12, 14; Phil 2:13; 2 Th 1:11, 12." This is only in reference to true believers.

See also Eph. 2:7 that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.

Romans 3:23 Mary was included in the term "all" and everyone since Adam and Eve would be included in this verse, i.e., "all (we - every person) have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God."

If Mary was born sinless and pure then Paul either would have noted this as an exception about Mary in the verse above, or he would have been lying about the term "all."

Even though babies have not sinned yet, they will, therefore making them included in the "all". I've already addressed the reasons he didn't need to note the exceptions of Jesus or the angels.

Furthermore, if Mary were sinless: 1. there would have been no need for Christ to have died for her and His sacrifice on the cross and His resurrection from the dead would have been meaningless, 2. all of the OT and NT Scriptures that address that the Law could not save would be false, because Mary then would have been pure under the Law, or else some Scripture(s) would surely have excepted her from the Law or the need for salvation through Jesus Christ, 3. Luke 1:47-48 Mary prays, "And my spirit has rejoiced in God my Savior. For He has had regard for the humble state of his bondslave." Would Mary need to pray such a prayer if she was without sin - she was admitting / submitting to the need for a savior and that she surely knew the true God. Hopefully all of us pray a similar prayer for we have the exact same need as sinner Mary, blessed as she was (we are too and forever), in Christ Jesus.
Pound Foolish wrote: But if you're wondering, yes, there is some fairly solid scriptural support fro Purgatory: “Amen, I say to you, you will not be released until you have paid the last penny.” Now we know that no last penny needs to be paid in Heaven and from Hell there is no liberation at all; hence the reference must apply to a third place.
There is some further evidence and facts, but that's enough for now.
However, that Bible verse doesn't say that in order to repent, you must do it in the form of Purgatory.
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~
jehoshaphat
Cookies & Creme

I must correct a few things, Mary did not sin(verb) but had original sin(noun) which she was saved by God before her birth. She needed Jesus like everyone else in this world to be cleansed of original sin. It is possible and probable that she never sinned. Does that make some sense?
Striped Leopard
Cookies & Creme

If it's true that you believe that Mary needed Jesus as much as everybody else, then I'm fine with her being sinless throughout the rest of her life--as long as she did originally have a sinful nature, because if she didn't that wouldn't make any sense.

But I actually believe that this is how God may save babies who die in the womb or in infancy. He converts their hearts and enables them to repent and believe before they die, even in their infant state.

So now that I have a better understanding of this Catholic belief, it sits better with me. My only problem is that I don't see any Scriptural example of it or need for it. I believe that Christ could have been borne by a sinful woman. The Bible says that the Holy Spirit overshadowed Mary, meaning (I believe) that He protected Jesus from the sin within Mary. There was no need for her to be sinless. She was just like anyone else.

-- Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:39 am --

John Macarthur, one of the biggest, if not the biggest, names in conservative Christian evangelicalism, in honor of the election of a new pope to the Catholic church, is doing a series on his blog called "Exposing the Heresies of the Catholic Church." Each one covers a different aspect of Catholic doctrine that is contrary to the Word of God. Here are the first two:

Grace vs. Works:
The New Testament is clear about the nature of saving faith. “For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from works of the Law” (Romans 3:28). “A man is not justified by the works of the Law but through faith in Christ Jesus . . . since by the works of the Law no flesh will be justified” (Galatians 2:16). “But when the kindness of God our Savior and His love for mankind appeared, He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness, but according to His mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit” (Titus 3:4-5).

According to Scripture, salvation is by faith in Christ alone through God’s grace alone. When you put your trust in Jesus Christ He declares you righteous—not because you are, but because He imputes His righteousness to you, and because He paid the penalty for your sin. Christ bears our sin and we receive His righteousness. That is the indescribable glory of the doctrine of justification (2 Corinthians 5:21).

The teaching of the Roman Catholic Church stands in stark opposition to that biblical understanding. Rather than salvation by grace through faith, they preach a false gospel of works.

The words of the Council of Trent—convened to affirm and codify the teaching of the Catholic Church in response to the Reformation—clearly spell out the Catholic version of justification that still stands today. “Hence, to those who work well unto the end and trust in God, eternal life is to be offered, both as a grace mercifully promised to the sons of God through Christ Jesus, and as a reward promised by God himself, to be faithfully given to their good works and merits.” Salvation in the Catholic system is something you earn “by those very works which have been done in God, fully satisfied the divine law according to the state of this life and to have truly merited eternal life.”

That is an absolute and total contradiction of the Word of God. It’s a completely foreign gospel, manufactured by the Catholic Church and able only to condemn, not save. No amount of repetitious prayers, veneration of the saints and other church relics, or masses attended can redeem a sinner’s soul. No priest has the power to forgive sins, and no indulgence bought and paid for can hold back the due punishment of those sins.

At the heart of the merit-based Catholic system is the unbiblical concept of purgatory. In fact, it’s the invention of purgatory that makes Catholic dogma attractive at all—without it, Catholicism would be a very hard sell. Catholics are never really on solid spiritual ground. They can’t know for certain if they’re saved or whether they will ever make it into heaven. And even confident, pious Catholics live in perpetual fear of committing a mortal sin that will throw them out of favor with God and the church.

It’s the false doctrine of purgatory that provides Catholics their spiritual safety net, bringing false hope to people trapped in a hopeless system. It’s the one relief in their entire guilt-ridden, fear-ridden system of works righteousness. And it is complete fiction—a tragic farce that’s led countless souls to hell.

The apostle Paul could not have been clearer about the true nature of justification: “For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast” (Ephesians 2:8-9). That gracious, glorious gospel has been rejected by the Catholic Church, and they have replaced it with a corrupt, unbiblical system of works righteousness and merit-based salvation.

Presiding over that twisted system of satanic lies is the pope. And that is where we’ll pick it up tomorrow.
The Pope:
One of the major, early catalysts in the Protestant Reformation was a book by Jan Hus, a Bohemian Christian who preceded Martin Luther by a full century. The book was De Ecclesia (The Church), and one of Hus’s most profound points was proclaimed in the title of his fourth chapter: “Christ the Only Head of the Church.”

Hus wrote, “Neither is the pope the head nor are the cardinals the whole body of the holy, universal, catholic [i.e., true] church. For Christ alone is the head of that church.” Pointing out that most church leaders in his era actually despised the lordship of Christ, Hus said, “To such a low pitch is the clergy come that they hate those who preach often and call Jesus Christ Lord.”

Hus’s candor cost him his life. He was declared a heretic and burned at the stake in 1415.

More than a hundred years later, and already at odds with the papal establishment, Martin Luther read De Ecclesia. After finishing the book, he wrote to a friend, “I have hitherto taught and held all the opinions of Jan Hus unawares; so did John Staupitz. In short, we are all Hussites without knowing it.”

As the head of the Roman Catholic Church, the pope is often called the “Holy Father” and the “Vicar of Christ”—names and roles that only apply to God. He claims the ability to speak ex cathedra, exercising Godlike infallibility to add to and augment Scripture (Revelation 22:18). He wields unbiblical, unholy authority over his followers, usurping the headship of Christ and perverting the work of the Holy Spirit.

The Reformers understood that and declared it with unashamed boldness. As Martin Luther wrote to a friend, “We here are of the conviction that the papacy is the seat of the true and real Antichrist. . . . Personally I declare that I owe the Pope no other obedience than that to Antichrist.”

In his Institutes of the Christian Religion, John Calvin said:
John Calvin wrote:Some persons think us too severe and censorious, when we call the Roman pontiff Antichrist. But those who are of this opinion do not consider that they bring the same charge of presumption against Paul himself, after whom we speak, and whose language we adopt. And lest anyone should object, that we improperly pervert to the Roman pontiff those words of Paul, which belong to a different subject, I shall briefly show that they are not capable of any other interpretation than that which implies them to the papacy (John Allen’s translation, book four, chapter seven).

The words of Paul that Calvin referred to were from 2 Thessalonians, where the apostle described the coming Antichrist “who opposes and exalts himself above every so-called god or object of worship, so that he takes his seat in the temple of God, displaying himself as being God” (2 Thessalonians 2:4).

That same understanding was later reflected in the Westminster Confession of Faith, which says, “There is no other head of the church but the Lord Jesus Christ. Nor can the Pope of Rome, in any sense, be head thereof; but is that Antichrist, that man of sin and son of perdition, that exalts himself in the church against Christ and all that is called God” (25.6).

That doesn’t mean that the pope is the final Antichrist. There have been and will continue to be, as 1 John 2:18 says, many false teachers who embody the spirit of Antichrist. As the American Puritan Cotton Mather wrote in The Fall of Babylon, “The oracles of God foretold the rising of an Antichrist [i.e., one or more antichrists who embody the spirit of the final Antichrist] in the Christian church. And in the Pope of Rome, all the characteristics of that Antichrist are so marvelously answered that if any who read the Scriptures do not see it, there is a marvelous blindness on them.”

In a sermon titled “Pray for Jesus,” Charles Haddon Spurgeon exhorted his congregation that “it is the duty of every Christian to pray against Antichrist, and as to what Antichrist is. No sane man ought to raise a question. If it be not the popery in the church of Rome and in the church of England, there is nothing in the world that can be called by that name.”

He went on to say:
Charles Spurgeon wrote:Popery anywhere, whether it be Anglican or Romish, is contrary to Christ’s gospel! And it is the Antichrist, and we ought to pray against it! It should be the daily prayer of every believer that Antichrist might be hurled like a millstone into the flood and sink to rise no more. If we can pray against error for Christ because it wounds Christ, because it robs Christ of His glory, because it puts sacramental efficacy in the place of His atonement and lifts a piece of bread into the place of the Savior, and a few drops of water into the place of the Holy Spirit, and puts a mere fallible man like ourselves up as the Vicar of Christ on earth—if we pray against it because it is against Him—we shall love the persons though we hate their errors! We shall love their souls though we loathe and detest their dogmas, and so the breath of our prayers will be sweetened because we turn our faces toward Christ when we pray.

In another sermon, titled “Christ Glorified,” Spurgeon said:
Charles Spurgeon wrote:Christ did not redeem His church with His blood so the pope could come in and steal away the glory. He never came from heaven to earth and poured out His very heart that He might purchase His people so that a poor sinner, a mere man, should be set upon high to be admired by all the nations and to call himself God’s representative on earth! Christ has always been the head of His church.

In 1 Timothy 2:5, Paul said, “For there is one God, and one mediator also between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.” The pope has assumed for himself a position of authority that does not need to be filled.
-- Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:20 am --

And here's today's blog post from Dr. Macarthur:

Mary Worship:
After his prophetic vision of the eternal glories of heaven at the end of the book of Revelation, the apostle John described how he was overwhelmed by what he’d seen.
Revelation 22:8-9 wrote:And when I heard and saw, I fell down to worship at the feet of the angel who showed me these things. But he said to me, “Do not do that. I am a fellow servant of yours and of your brethren the prophets and of those who heed the words of this book. Worship God.”

The Roman Catholic Church has committed the same error as John, promoting a mere citizen of heaven to an improper place of authority and honor. Despite the overwhelming testimony of Scripture, the Catholic Church has elevated Mary—a self-described servant of the Lord (Luke 1:38)—to the same level as God, if not higher.

In his Ineffabilis Deus in 1854, Pope Pius IX established as dogma the immaculate conception of Mary, which preserved her from inheriting original sin. His concluding statements provide a good summary of the Catholic view of Mary.
Pope Pius IX wrote:Let all the children of the Catholic Church, who are so very dear to us, hear these words of ours. With a still more ardent zeal for piety, religion and love, let them continue to venerate, invoke and pray to the most Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of God, conceived without original sin. Let them fly with utter confidence to this most sweet Mother of mercy and grace in all dangers, difficulties, needs, doubts and fears. Under her guidance, under her patronage, under her kindness and protection, nothing is to be feared; nothing is hopeless. Because, while bearing toward us a truly motherly affection and having in her care the work of our salvation, she is solicitous about the whole human race. And since she has been appointed by God to be the Queen of heaven and earth, and is exalted above all the choirs of angels and saints, and even stands at the right hand of her only-begotten Son, Jesus Christ our Lord, she presents our petitions in a most efficacious manner. What she asks, she obtains. Her pleas can never be unheard.

Those words are echoed and expanded on throughout Roman Catholic history. Tradition dictates that Mary is part of the monarchy of heaven, soliciting grace and mercy from the Lord on behalf of sinners, and covering sin by distributing from her Treasury of Merit. She became a co-redeemer with Christ in His suffering on the cross, and is now a co-mediator alongside Him in heaven—essentially an alternative avenue of access to God. She replaces the Holy Spirit in bestowing aid and comfort to believers. In effect, she becomes an additional member of the Trinity.

That blasphemy stands in sharp contrast to what Scripture actually says about Mary, and even what she says about herself. Luke 1:46-55 records her humble reaction to the news that she would give birth to the Son of God.
Luke 1:46-55 wrote:And Mary said: “My soul exalts the Lord, and my spirit has rejoiced in God my Savior. For He has had regard for the humble state of His bondslave; for behold, from this time on all generations will count me blessed. For the Mighty One has done great things for me; and holy is His name. And His mercy is upon generation after generation toward those who fear Him. He has done mighty deeds with His arm; He has scattered those who were proud in the thoughts of their heart. He has brought down rulers from their thrones, and has exalted those who were humble. He has filled the hungry with good things; and sent away the rich empty-handed. He has given help to Israel His servant, in remembrance of His mercy, as He spoke to our fathers, to Abraham and his descendants forever.”

The God she praised—the God of the Bible—does not need to be coaxed or wooed to distribute His blessings. He’s not harsh, distant, or indifferent—He’s gracious, righteous, and merciful. Rather than glorifying herself, she humbly worshiped the Lord.

Scripture actually has very little to say about Mary. There’s no description of her physical appearance, nothing about her life, her later years after Christ’s death, or her own death and burial. And when she does briefly appear with the disciples and the other believers on the day of Pentecost, she’s not an object of worship or even a leader in the early church—she’s just one among many. There simply are no biblical examples of anyone ever praying to her, honoring her, or venerating her.

Nor does she play a role in any biblical explanation of the gospel. Paul wrote a magnificent treatise on the doctrine of salvation that we know as the book of Romans, and all he said about the mother of Jesus is that she was “a descendent of David” (Romans 1:3). He’s even less specific in Galatians, another lengthy exposition of the pure, true gospel in which he simply said that Christ was “born of a woman” (Galatians 4:4).

Contrast that with the unending Catholic volumes on the life of Mary, the miracles of Mary, the death of Mary, the apparitions of Mary, and on and on it goes. That’s why it’s often a shock for Catholics to read the Bible and see how little is actually said about Mary.

But that’s what happens when you elevate tradition to the level of Scripture and ascribe to men the infallible characteristics that only belong to God. It warps the truth of Scripture and distorts the Person and work of Jesus Christ.

God alone is our Redeemer, our Deliverer, our Benefactor, and our Comforter. He alone is to be worshiped, venerated, adored, and petitioned. The testimony of Scripture is clear.
Isaiah 45:20-22 wrote:Gather yourselves and come; draw near together, you fugitives of the nations; they have no knowledge, who carry about their wooden idol and pray to a god who cannot save. Declare and set forth your case; indeed, let them consult together. Who has announced this from of old? Who has long since declared it? Is it not I, the Lord? And there is no other God besides Me, a righteous God and a Savior; there is none except Me. Turn to Me and be saved, all the ends of the earth; for I am God, and there is no other.
-- Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:34 am --

And today's is

The Mass:
The writer of Hebrews is inescapably clear about the singular nature of Christ’s sacrifice.
Hebrews 9:24-28 wrote:For Christ did not enter a holy place made with hands, a mere copy of the true one, but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us; nor was it that He would offer Himself often, as the high priest enters the holy place year by year with blood that is not his own. Otherwise, He would have needed to suffer often since the foundation of the world; but now once at the consummation of the ages He has been manifested to put away sin by the sacrifice of Himself. And inasmuch as it is appointed for men to die once and after this comes judgment, so Christ also, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time for salvation without reference to sin, to those who eagerly await Him (emphasis added).

Scripture does not waver on the finality of Christ’s sacrifice on our behalf. He came to make a one-time offering for sin, never to be repeated. It was a contrast to the Mosaic covenant, which necessitated a system of near-constant sacrifices. But none of the Old Testament sacrifices could actually atone for sin. They could only serve as a reminder of God’s deliverance and foreshadow Christ’s final sacrifice which would conquer sin.

In the practice of the mass, the Roman Catholic Church has reinstituted an unbiblical system of repeated sacrifices, blaspheming Christ and perverting His work on the cross.

How important is the mass to Catholicism? The Catechism of the Catholic Church refers to it as “the source and summit of the Christian life.” That is to say, it is the origin and the high point of the Catholic faith. It’s not peripheral—it’s the heart and soul of the entire system.

In his book The Faith of Millions, John O’Brien, a Catholic priest, explains the procedure of the mass.
John O'Brien wrote:When the priest pronounces the tremendous words of consecration, he reaches up into the heavens, brings Christ down from His throne, and places Him upon our altar to be offered up again as the Victim for the sins of man. It is a power greater than that of monarchs and emperors: it is greater than that of saints and angels, greater than that of Seraphim and Cherubim. Indeed it is greater even than the power of the Virgin Mary. While the Blessed Virgin was the human agency by which Christ became incarnate a single time, the priest brings Christ down from heaven, and renders Him present on our altar as the eternal Victim for the sins of man—not once but a thousand times! The priest speaks and lo! Christ, the eternal and omnipotent God, bows His head in humble obedience to the priest’s command.

Put simply, the Catholic Church won’t let Christ off the cross. In the mass, the substance of the bread and the wine are supposedly transformed into the actual body and blood of Jesus, rendering Him as a repeated, incomplete sacrifice for sins. He’s not Lord and Savior—He’s the eternal Victim, perpetually bound to the altar by the power of the priest, visibly and ubiquitously symbolized in the Roman Catholic crucifix.

That’s a direct denial of Paul’s teaching in Romans 6:8-10.
Romans 6:8-10 wrote:Now if we have died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him, knowing that Christ, having been raised from the dead, is never to die again; death no longer is master over Him. For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God (emphasis added).

By denying the singular sacrifice of Christ, Catholicism imbues its illegitimate priesthood with artificial power and authority, enslaving its followers to a repetitious system of ineffective, ungodly offerings for sin. It’s essentially paganism sprinkled with enough Christian terminology to deceive and delude souls, convincing them Christ’s death on the cross was not enough to accomplish their salvation. In effect, the mass cancels out the real meaning of the cross.

In Light from Old Times, J.C. Ryle explained the theological and spiritual implications—and imperfections—of the Catholic mass.
J.C. Ryle wrote:Whatever men please to think or say, the Romish doctrine of the real presence, if pursued to its legitimate consequences, obscures every leading doctrine of the gospel, and damages and interferes with the whole system of Christ’s truth. Grant for a moment that the Lord’s Supper is a sacrifice, and not a sacrament—grant that every time the words of the consecration are used the natural body and blood of Christ are present on the communion table under the forms of bread and wine—grant that every one who eats that consecrated bread and drinks that consecrated wine does really eat and drink the natural body and blood of Christ—grant for a moment these things, and then see what momentous consequences result from these premises. You spoil the blessed doctrine of Christ’s finished work when He died on the cross. A sacrifice that needs to be repeated is not a perfect and complete thing. You spoil the priestly office of Christ. If there are priests that can offer an acceptable sacrifice to God besides Him, the great High Priest is robbed of His glory. You spoil the scriptural doctrine of the Christian ministry. You exalt sinful men into the position of mediators between God and man. You give to the sacramental elements of bread and wine an honour and veneration they were never meant to receive, and produce an idolatry to be abhorred of faithful Christians. Last, but not least, you overthrow the true doctrine of Christ’s human nature. If the body born of the Virgin Mary can be in more places than one at the same time, it is not a body like our own, and Jesus was not “the last Adam” in the truth of our nature.

In simple terms, the mass has nothing to do with the Christian gospel, nothing to do with the Christian life, and nothing to do with the Christian church. It rejects the true, biblical nature of God, Christ, sin, salvation, atonement, and forgiveness. It robs the cross of its meaning and replaces it with superficial, man-centered idolatry. It’s a lie, a fraud, and a [censored] fabrication that enslaves hearts and ushers people to hell.

God has done the impossible! He has, in effect, changed a leopard's spots into stripes! He turned me, one who was accustomed to do evil, into one who can walk in good works! He brought me to life from the dead and gave me His Spirit, in order to cause me to walk in His statutes! He has totally changed me, and it is all for His glory!
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Ninja
Okay so why do you baptize babies then?? They are not old enough to understand they were born in sin, I mean they cant even talk. So how on earth can they confess of they're sin and get baptized??? ( Acts 2:38 - "Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.")
It's a safe guess Peter was just talking to the grown-ups, who certainly would need to repent, as we all do. One would imagine at least a few mommies in the crowd had their babies along and they were baptized as well, but the babies probably weren't paying much attention. It would've been cute if Peter bent down and said, "Would baby wike to get baptee-tized too?" But I guess he considered it unnecessary somehow.
As to why we baptize them... why not baptize them?
Yes, they are too young to "understand" what's going on. But baptism isn't an acceptance of Christianity by the child, that's what confirmation is partly for. (And First Communion among Catholics.) The baby doesn't need to realize the significance of ceremony for it to be valid.
So I repeat, why not baptize them?
It's a sweet little ceremony. The baby is dressed up, and the proud parents and godparents are officially initiated into their duty of raising the child in the Church. Then everyone has cake. It's just a lovely thing to do.
More importantly, it erases the stain of sin. Sin is bad. Why leave evil's stain on your precious little baby if it's in your power to wash it into purity?
(" Jeremiah 17:9 - The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?") How can we be "truly good" yet a deceitful heart?
Because the Greek word for heart is, kardia, has a completely different meaning from the word for nature. We were discussing nature, right? Good. The Greek kardia refers merely to emotion. (Emotion isn't our nature, of course.) The Greek words for nature, (primarily) are phusis, phusikos and phusikôs. These words are far more all-encompassing.
Yet again, we see one of mannny problems with Sola Scriptora. (Though I will continue to argue on those grounds just for the fun of proving your protestants wrong with your own rules.) The Bible in English simply isn't the same as the original texts. Would Spain be able to set up an identical government to the USA's using an Arabic translation of the Constitution? So maybe Jesus established with a specific head (like maybe a pope) to keep things in order with consistent beliefs... but that's just crazy Catholic talk.
("Matthew 24:36-39 - "But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only. But as the days of Noe were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be." ) How were the days of Noah?
So what does this have to do with anything? It says quite specifically that all this will happen when Christ comes again. Which he hasn't. At least one would hope not. If the world has ended, nobody's bothered to even mention it. No one tells people anything.
So if man is good by nature why did he do wrong from the start?? How can man who is fallen and has a sinful body be "good" at heart or "nature"??
Because we are easily tempted. "The spirit is willing enough, but the flesh is weak." That doesn't mean we tend towards evil, only that we can do it if given a push. Also, or actions' don't mean a thing about our nature. If a tree falls, it's a fallen tree. Its action was falling. But it's still a tree. It hasn't turned into a bird.
Incidentally, neither you nor God's Girl have even tried to directly attack the logic provided in the case for our nature being love.
Christian

In advance, your last post was rather annoying. It may or may not get an answer, but let's leave it alone, at least for the moment. This post will be long enough without refuting ancient arguments. And I've never had the displeasure of even hearing of your John MacArther until now. But Catholics read stuff by Peter Kreft and Scott Hahn all the time, they're Catholic household names. Haven't heard of em? Not surprised. You're looking in the wrong places, kid. They have an answer for every single dated thing your silly blockhead spewed.
Incidentally, to state the obvious, if your MacArthur "Catholic" theologian holds such opinions on Catholicism, he's not even Catholic, whatever he may say.
Council of Trent wrote:
Canon 11. If anyone says that men are justified either by the sole imputation of the justice (righteousness) of Christ or by the sole remission of sins, excluding grace and charity which is poured into their hearts by the Holy Spirit and inheres in them, or also that the grace which justifies us is only the favour of God, let him be anathema.
It seems to be saying that we shouldn't assume the grace given us by God is inconsequential. Christ died in part to give us grace. That does indeed help save us. And its point is, obviously, that the grace that saves us isn't the favor of God. The word favor, after all, implies earning something. It's a gift, given to all of us.
Council of Trent wrote:
Canon 12. If anyone says that justifying faith is nothing else than confidence in divine mercy, which remits sins for Christ's sake, or that it is this confidence alone that justifies us, let him be anathema.
This has nothing to do with "saved by works" either. It's just saying we're saved by God. Notice the words "confidence if divine mercy." Basically, if we were saved by having "confidence in divine mercy", we would be being saved through our own confidence. That is, our own works. That phrases says the polar opposite of what you're trying make it seem to say.
Council of Trent wrote:
Canon 24. If anyone says that the justice (righteousness) received is not preserved and also not increased before God through good works but that those works are merely the fruits and signs of justification obtained, but not the cause of the increase, let him be anathema.
In other words, value good works, and believe God values them as well. Perfectly true. That doesn't mean we're saved by the good works.
Council of Trent wrote:
Canon 30. If anyone says that after the reception of the grace of justification the guilt is so remitted and the debt of eternal punishment so blotted out to every repentant sinner, that no debt of temporal punishment remains to be discharged either in this world or in purgatory before the gates of heaven can be opened, let him be anathema.
So? All it's saying is we can't count on not paying time in purgatory. After all, we can't even count on necessarily going to Heaven. That's a very important fact. We can have our sin washed away by Christ in a variety of ways, but that doesn't erase the need for continued repentance.
Council of Trent wrote:
Canon 32. If anyone says that the good works of the one justified are in such manner the gifts of God that they are not also the good merits of him justified; or that the one justified by the good works that he performs by the grace of God and the merit of Jesus Christ (of whom one is a living member), the justified does not truly merit an increase of grace, and eternal life, provided that one dies in the state of grace, the attainment of this eternal life, as well as an increase in glory, let him be anathema
But good works do mean that we will "merit an increase of grace and eternal life" given the conditions it mentions. God himself tells us many times we will be paid for good works in Heaven:
For we must all stand before Christ to be judged. We will each receive whatever we deserve for the good or evil we have done in this earthly body.” 2 Corinthians 5:10
“But I, the LORD, search all hearts and examine secret motives. I give all people their due rewards, according to what their actions deserve.” Jeremiah 17:10

None of your quotes support your case. Again, one of them even says the exact reverse of your point. You've made your case, ah, somewhat weakly.
On the other hand, there is some pretty solid Catholic base saying we aren't saved by works.
"If anyone says that man can be justified before God by his own works, whether done by his own natural powers or by the teaching of the Law, without divine grace through Jesus Christ, let him be anathema" (Session 6; can. 1).
What's that from? Why, the Council of Trent, of course.
Oh, one final thing.
"By the way, "let him be anathema" means "let him be excommunicated," not "let him be cursed to hell." The phrase was used in conciliar documents in a technical, theological sense, not in the same sense as the word "anathema" is found in Scripture. Don't let "Bible Christians" throw you for a loop on this one."
(Catholic Answers.com)
God's Girl
"full of grace," means full of unmerited love or favor.
Ah yes, finally it's your turn. I never would have guessed you were such the debator, you've been the biggest challenge so far, and I've had to think about your words a bit.
John 1:14-16 "And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth. John testified about Him and cried out, saying, "This was He of whom I said, ' He who comes after me has a higher rank than I, for He existed before me.' For of His fullness we have all received, and grace upon grace..."
How can full of grace be "unmerited" grace if it's referring to Christ? How can you say full of grace means "full of unmerited love or favor" when it says the Word, that is God, is full of grace? God merits favor and love, one would presume.
In any case, where on earth did you get that information? It doesn't mean that at all, it's simply linguistically an error.
John MacArthur's notes: v. 16 grace upon grace, "This phrase emphasizes the superabundance of grace that has been displayed by God toward mankind, especially believers..."
Meaning, that he has displayed grace upon all of us, not just Mary
Amen. Absolutely, God has given us all grace. God's grace reaches out to everyone. But that means Mary can't have had sin's stain removed before conception? How does that follow? It's certainly a special and unique grace to be given such a gift. It's unaffected by that verse.
Romans 3:23 Mary was included in the term "all" and everyone since Adam and Eve would be included in this verse, i.e., "all (we - every person) have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God."

If Mary was born sinless and pure then Paul either would have noted this as an exception about Mary in the verse above, or he would have been lying about the term "all."

Even though babies have not sinned yet, they will, therefore making them included in the "all". I've already addressed the reasons he didn't need to note the exceptions of Jesus or the angels.
Whoa there, girl. How so? Sure babies will sin. (Wow. Didn't know that.) But that doesn't make them sinful as of now. Paul made quite a grammatical mistake if he included babies in the "all." Incidentally, speaking of grammar, by the time they are able to sin, they won't be babies. Babies are pure. Period. Exclamation mark.
Furthermore, if Mary were sinless: 1. there would have been no need for Christ to have died for her and His sacrifice on the cross and His resurrection from the dead would have been meaningless, 2. all of the OT and NT Scriptures that address that the Law could not save would be false, because Mary then would have been pure under the Law, or else some Scripture(s) would surely have excepted her from the Law or the need for salvation through Jesus Christ, 3. Luke 1:47-48 Mary prays, "And my spirit has rejoiced in God my Savior. For He has had regard for the humble state of his bondslave." Would Mary need to pray such a prayer if she was without sin - she was admitting / submitting to the need for a savior and that she surely knew the true God. Hopefully all of us pray a similar prayer for we have the exact same need as sinner Mary, blessed as she was (we are too and forever), in Christ Jesus.
Nope, nope, nope. This part's actually easy. This is a very old Protestant song and dance.
Suppose there is a pit of mud in the road, and travelers fall into it at night. But then a kind stranger comes and pulls them out. Now, suppose a young woman is walking along, and the kind stranger calls out to her before she… catch my drift?
God did save Mary. In a way greater and more beautiful than he saved us. He saved her from ever being touched by sin. She had more reason than any of us to call God her savior!
But his resurrection meaningless!? How? Mary was a single individual, who God saved along with the rest of world. After all, before then, all souls were kept from Heaven, waiting for their salvation. Even saints and prophets. His death on the cross paved the way for her to go to Heaven. He died for his mother as much as for us. Perhaps even more so.
Samantha
Why, hello, Froggy! Typically we dress up in slacks and such for the boys, and the girls, if not dresses or skirts, will be wearing a fancy type blouse. Some teenagers like to go casual, but it's not encouraged on actual Sunday celebrations.
We have a big variety... generally hymns, but some more modern music occasionally. During some celebrations, at my church, we'll even have an electric guitar or two. ;)
And yes, we do have a youth group. It's pretty fun, but I don't go all that often.
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
Striped Leopard
Cookies & Creme

Pound Foolish wrote:And I've never had the displeasure of even hearing of your John MacArther until now. But Catholics read stuff by Peter Kreft and Scott Hahn all the time, they're Catholic household names. Haven't heard of em? Not surprised. You're looking in the wrong places, kid. They have an answer for every single dated thing your silly blockhead spewed.
Incidentally, to state the obvious, if your MacArthur "Catholic" theologian holds such opinions on Catholicism, he's not even Catholic, whatever he may say.
I'm sorry, but you lost me here. I don't plan on responding to you any more after this grave disrespect. Besides my own, I respect no pastor more than Dr. MacArthur. He is not Catholic; He is a Fundamentalist Baptist, and there are few evangelical pastors respected more than him today.

This is what Wikipedia says about him:
John Fullerton MacArthur, Jr. (born June 19, 1939) is an American Evangelical Christian pastor and author known for his internationally-syndicated radio program Grace to You. A popular author and conference speaker, he has served as the pastor-teacher of Grace Community Church in Sun Valley, California since February 9, 1969 and also currently serves as the president of The Master's College in Newhall, California and The Master's Seminary in Sun Valley, California.

Theologically, MacArthur is considered a Baptist, Calvinist, Fundamentalist and a strong proponent of expository preaching. He has been acknowledged by Christianity Today as one of the most influential preachers of his time, and was a frequent guest on Larry King Live as a representative of an evangelical Christian perspective.

MacArthur has authored or edited more than 150 books, most notably the MacArthur Study Bible, which has sold more than 1 million copies and received a Gold Medallion Book Award. Other best-selling books include his MacArthur New Testament Commentary Series (more than 1 million copies), Twelve Ordinary Men, (more than 500,000 copies), and the children's book A Faith to Grow On, which garnered an ECPA Christian Book Award.
Unless you want to retract what you said and start treating what I post with more respect, as I have treated your posts, I don't plan on responding.

Wretched Sinner
Lemon Meringue

John MacArthur, or "silly blockhead" as you so idiotically put it, PF, is a great teacher and I am offended that you would insult him. He's one of the very few good modern day preachers out there. I listen to Grace to You a lot :mrgreen: Anyway, I am disgusted at your offence at a great pastor who is very well informed about Catholics. That Revelation 22 verse clearly proves Mary worship wrong.
jehoshaphat
Cookies & Creme

For the fiftieth time WE DO NOT WORSHIP MARY OR THE SAINTS!!!!!!!!!! If he cannot get his facts straight about what we actually belive I am with PF I do not respect him. It seems as though he reads pre-reformation Catholic Theology. If you did not know the Reformation did make the Catholic Church examine many of their beliefs and if they belived that there was a mistake he changed it.
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

I don't plan on responding to you any more after this grave disrespect. Besides my own, I respect no pastor more than Dr. MacArthur. He is not Catholic; He is a Fundamentalist Baptist, and there are few evangelical pastors respected more than him today.
Sorry, I assumed he was... So, basically, your post was a bunch of quotes from a Protestant blog literally ranting against Catholic beliefs? And you expect a Catholic to take that seriously?
MUCH more importantly...
Some persons think us too severe and censorious, when we call the Roman pontiff Antichrist.
Yes, it so happens people do get a tad annoyed when you call their beloved leaders demons. Are you saying it's "respectful" to call someone the devil? To quote Wally Haggler, "Where'd you learn your manners?" Compared to that, "blockhead" is a compliment. What you posted was simply propaganda and nonsense. And very offensive.
If this is the end of our debate, very well. You'll recall we supposed we were done before we even started. But anyhow, while he is no doubt a very fine authority on Protestant beliefs, his logic surrounding Catholicism is... nonexistent.
John MacArthur, or "silly blockhead" as you so idiotically put it, PF, is a great teacher and I am offended that you would insult him. He's one of the very few good modern day preachers out there. I listen to Grace to You a lot :mrgreen:
That you like him, Noah, is... unsurprising.
And I already explained replied to you before we don't worship Mary. (Apparently, you didn't even read it.) For the last time, of course worshiping Mary wrong. Front page news. We know that. I hope Jehosophat finally managed to make that clear to you.
Mary is Queen of Heaven. And she is due respect.
She isn't part of the trinity, nor does her aid replace that of The Holy Spirit. That was this MacArthur's clever little deduction. She offers additional aid. The Holy Spirit is entirely separate from her and far greater than her. But she's God's sinless mother. She has influence over him. And she is our mother. And we love her.
Nothing MacArthur says even supports the idea we worship Mary (and some of it isn't even true.) It just shows we love and venerate her. As God's mother. As the most holy of all women.
We do love her. And we're proud of it.
Connie_Kendall
Peanut Butter Cup

I want a straight forward answer to this. No explanation, just an answer. Okay?
Do you believe God was created?
Wretched Sinner
Lemon Meringue

Queen of Heaven....hmmm.....trying to figure out if that contradicts the Church being wed to God when he comes down to take us up to heaven. And we will all dine at the wedding feast...
gabbygirl17
Mint Chocolate Chip

Babies are born with sin..a sinful nature we all are...
"Your words were found, and I ate them, and your words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart, for I am called by your name, O Lord, God of hosts." - Jeremiah 15:16
Nelson S.
Mint Chocolate Chip

gabbygirl17 wrote:Babies are born with sin..a sinful nature we all are...
^ Truth. ^

Romans 5:12 - Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:

Psalms 51:5 - Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me.
jehoshaphat
Cookies & Creme

No God has always existed and will always exist.
Connie_Kendall
Peanut Butter Cup

Was Mary created?
The Old Judge
Mint Chocolate Chip

Suzy Lou Foolish wrote:I like some of things they believe in, other bits- I'm not sure of. But goodness, I could view pretty much any denomination that way! Sayyy, oh...baptist---nevermind, I won't get started on that....
Since this is a Protestantism/Catholicism/Mormonism debate, let's use Suzy's quote as a springboard to bring Baptists into the equation, shall we?

Suzy, what did you mean by that, and what is everybody else's opinions on Baptists?
Do you think you know music? Guess the hints at the end of each of my posts in A Musical Journey. (The name's a link. You can click it.)
Nelson S.
Mint Chocolate Chip

Wish I knew more about this topic, but I'm not an independent, fundamental, bible believing, bible banging, foot stompin', soul winning, door knockin', devil chasin', sin hatin', pew jumping.... KING JAMES VERSION ONLY Baptist. ;)