What Denomination Are You?

What do you believe and why? Here's the place to discuss anything relating to church and God.

What Denomination Are You?

Baptist
24%
Methodist
8%
Pentecostal
8%
Lutheran
No votes
Catholic
10%
Nazarene
No votes
Non-Denominational
29%
Seventh-Day Adventist
4%
Other
16%

Total votes: 49

Mara
Pistachio

I'm a Catholic and proud of it! :mrgreen:
NateVONgreat
Cookies & Creme

well, pride comes before a fall.... so yeah
JK YOLO!
It's great to be proud in who you are! there are lots of people who are not sure what they want or believe, or are ashamed of what their parents brought them up into.
And its amazing how all of us with different views and beliefs can serve one God in love!

AshleyWhittakek:
ughh! a canadian! yuck! jk ;)
my church doesn't have a website because my pastor is afraid that the anti-messianic organizations will use it for bad, and find stuff out about us, at least he did say that for a long time, but recently they tested a website that i guess will be it, but if you went to the "english" page (as in the rest is hebrew) it said "this is a text, put wanted text here.".
but my youth group has a site (you need to sign up to view anything (and i am the admin :D ))

Sandwiches are wonderful
Sandwiches are fine!
I like sandwiches, I eat them all the time!
Renae
Fudge Marble
Location: ....I'll be in a different place every time you read this....

I am una Bautista :mrgreen:
(a Baptist in case any of you knuckle heads didn't catch that...JK :lol: )

I attend a medium sized Romanian Baptist church called Logos Baptist Ministries (in romo: Biserica Baptista Logos.) I sing in two of its choirs and play in two of its orchestras. I got Baptized there and am an official member and have spoken before at some of its general assemblies (GA's are NOT the church services themselves, but member discussion about church). My dad is also an elder of the church and a Sunday school teacher. My three eldest sisters sing worship on youth nights and are on the Youth Committee. Suffice to say, my family is very involved in this church and I don't plan on leaving it. EVER. O.o
Renae: Faithful companion of Drama King, aka Jimmy Barclay.
Helios
Butter Pecan

I believe in the divine revelation of the Bible, so what does that make me?

A Revelator, maybe?

Lol, 'k, that was supposed to be a joke.

I don't belong to any particular denomination, though I do favor Baptists (consequence of going to lots of Baptist churches when I was younger).

Personally, I don't really see what the big deal about denominations is. Aren't we all part of the body of Christ? He is the Head of the Church, after all.

I'm also gonna get some flack for this, but I don't really see the need for the modern institutionalized church. It just generates politics. I'm not the sort of person to be on the good side of the leadership (don't ask me why, I'm still trying to figure it out), so I tend to be at odds with people in a normal church body.

In other words, I'm a freelancer!
The Old Judge
Mint Chocolate Chip

The denominations just came about as changes of doctrine in different sections of the original "Church of God" became noticeable enough to lead to a schism.
Do you think you know music? Guess the hints at the end of each of my posts in A Musical Journey. (The name's a link. You can click it.)
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

So Helios, you encourage strife in the body by not getting along with fellow believers?
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
Helios
Butter Pecan

Old Judge, thx for the explanation. :D It's helpful.

11th, I have a feeling we're going to be debating each other on a lot of stuff in the future (hang the future, it's happening now!).

In answer to your question, no, I don't encourage strife. I want unity so much it makes my heart ache sometimes. When I said I tend to be at odds with people, I didn't mean I TRY to be at odds with people. It's just that....

I want to follow Christ to the fullest extent possible. Most institutionalized churches today aren't like that. They don't seek radical abandonment. I read a lot of old martyr stories. I want what they had, that would allow them to get eaten alive by wild animals (which actually isn't as painful as getting crucified).

So I guess what I meant was, I want to get along with people. I want unity. I want togetherness. I want people to work with each other, to laugh and cry, to worship together.

But somehow, it never really worked out for me.
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

I hear you, I really spent a long time wanting that, I found it in my current church. We too read a lot of the old martyr stories and place a lot of emphasis on them.
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
Helios
Butter Pecan

YOU ARE BLESSED!!!

I meet with a few friends every Sunday and we sing and read and share. But sometimes I miss the bigness of a normal church service. The comforting familiarity.

Do you have any thoughts on house churches? I'd love to hear them! :D
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

I feel really blessed to have found a church family. I missed the sense of community when I was away too.

I do have some thoughts on house churches, mostly from this article: http://blog.adw.org/2010/01/the-didisca ... ly-church/

I don't think home churches of today look like the home churches of the Early Church.

Helios
Butter Pecan

Sorry...I don't tend to look at links that go outside the Scoop. :( But I'm sure it's interesting. Is there any way to post it on here?
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

It's just the Archdiocese of Washington's website, I don't know how I would post it here. If you really don't want to go there I could probably PM you the text.

Helios
Butter Pecan

That sounds good. Archdiocese...what's that exactly? I recognize the name, but I've never heard the actual definition (and I know it only in the context of Roman Catholics...) :D
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Archdiocese is an area that one Archbishop is responsible for, so in this case the area of Washington. The website is Roman Catholic, I just happen to agree with this article.

Helios
Butter Pecan

Got it. You know, you know a lot of stuff about religion and things like that. I appreciate you taking the time to tell me (and I know I sound like an absolute brat sometimes on here, talking about things I don't know anything about). :D
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

So, we're more unified if we pretend we're unified because we're part of the body of Christ when we yearn to be unified in our true belief rather than be unified in a debate through our common search for truth?
  • "Pound Foolish, I just adoreee arguing with you! Here, have an eyeball."
~Suzy Lou Foolish

As the founder of the E.R.K., may I say: Emily RULES!
Blitz
Moose Tracks

I am pretty glad that churches are separate or after each sermon we would be delayed by an hour for peeps to argue it out. ;)
I am Baptist and proud to be one.
Debate Vampire

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset
SirWhit
Banana Fudge

I'm seventh day adventist.
Helios
Butter Pecan

Blitz wrote:I am pretty glad that churches are separate or after each sermon we would be delayed by an hour for peeps to argue it out. ;)
I am Baptist and proud to be one.
We're delayed by an hour anyway by everyone trying to get out the door. :P Except in my church, where the main rush is toward the kitchen for lunch (or dinner, depending on where you're from) :D
Blitz
Moose Tracks

Anyway when my dad preaches half the church stops to ask him question on his sermons. His sermons are usually on doctrine.
Debate Vampire

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset