An Evil Spirit From God?

What do you believe and why? Here's the place to discuss anything relating to church and God.
Woody
Cookies & Creme

An Evil Spirit From God?

I was reading 1 Samuel 16 last night, and this verse posed some interesting questions:
1 Samuel 16:14 KJV wrote:But the Spirit of the Lord departed from Saul, and an evil spirit from the Lord troubled him.
What exactly does it mean by an "evil" spirit? What makes a spirit evil? And how can an evil spirit come from God?

I'm curious what your answers to these questions are...

"You'll never be far, I'm keeping you near, inside of my heart, you're here." ~Owl City, Gold
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

I think it's referring to the fact that God has authority over all things, including evil things, even though those evil things do not find their origins with Him. It's sort of like how in the Book of Job, God allowed Satan to plague Job with various tragedies and afflictions, but He did not order Satan to do so. It seems to me like that's saying that God allowed an evil spirit to plague Saul as punishment for Saul's defiance.
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
Blitz
Moose Tracks

Also it could have meant God periodically removed his joy.
Debate Vampire

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset
DredgeAmazing
Cookies & Creme

"Even the demons know there is one God, and shudder."
LIVE in color, but 1968 color nonetheless
--A very misguided Panasonic viewer
TigerShadow wrote:
I think Disney should focus on making their line more ethnically diverse instead of focusing on more white girls.
I know Martin is smiling down.