Shrink the Bible

What do you believe and why? Here's the place to discuss anything relating to church and God.
Mr. Yorp
Cookies & Creme

Shrink the Bible

What parts of the Bible would you replace?
Last edited by Mr. Yorp on Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
SirWhit
Banana Fudge

Umm...I would say they are important. They give us an idea of how things were back then, as well as a historical record of event.
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

Is this supposed to be sarcastic?

(I mean, on a personal level, I'm not a big fan of Kings and Chronicles, but that's less because of content and more because they're really tedious to read. ;) )
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
Gooey98
Raspberry Ripple

I would remove nothing. Seriously, I think every part of the Bible is significant to us today...it helps us understand the nature of God.
My David Crowder*Band website: http://dcbplus.weebly.com
My YouTube: http://youtube.com/WillLocatelli
My gaming YouTube: http://youtube.com/KingGrahamGaming
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

None of it. There might be passages I find difficult (Levitical law, for example; I was asked to read Leviticus at age twelve and really struggled with all the convoluted instructions that aren't even relevant to my personal life anymore), but that doesn't mean that they're not valuable.
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

TigerShadow wrote:None of it. There might be passages I find difficult (Levitical law, for example; I was asked to read Leviticus at age twelve and really struggled with all the convoluted instructions that aren't even relevant to my personal life anymore), but that doesn't mean that they're not valuable.
Didn't you just love the massive section on mildew? :P If I had to cut anything out, it would probably be that. Otherwise, agreed with everyone else, it's important for history and context.

Mr. Yorp, I'm assuming that you're not using a Catholic or Orthodox Bible. Do you think it was right to remove the Deuterocanonical books?
"Happy Birthday to Hot Leaf Water Ess!" - Belle
Blitz
Moose Tracks

All of the Bible is important. Some parts are more relevant or more important to read more often which is why I have a three segment of my devotions, a devotion book, a session of plain reading through the Bible (I am on my eleventh time), and another section which I study a book of the Bible or a book. I do morning and night.
Debate Vampire

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset
Audrey
Cookies & Creme

Mr. Yorp's posts just look like this to me:

-

Did he edit them or something? If so, what did h e say?
An owl and a squirrel are sitting in a tree, watching a farmer go by. The owl turns to the squirrel and says nothing, because owls can't talk. The owl then eats the squirrel because it is a bird of prey.
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

He asked if we would remove something from the Bible if we could, and if so, what it would be. His first post was mildly sarcastic, but he was sincerely asking if we felt that there were parts of the Bible that ought to be removed or ignored.
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

To slightly hijack this topic, let me ask the others here a variation on a question T.S. asked. Why do you think it was right to remove the Deuterocanonical books? And what is your understanding for how the modern Protestant canon came about?
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie