Bible Versions

What do you believe and why? Here's the place to discuss anything relating to church and God.

Versions

KJV-King James Version
24%
RV-Revised Version
No votes
ASV-American Standard Version
No votes
RSV-Revised Standard Version
No votes
AMP-Amplified Bible
No votes
NASB-New American Standard Bible
6%
TLB-The Living Bible
No votes
NIV-New International Version
18%
CEV-Contemporary English Version
No votes
NCV-New Century Version
No votes
REB-Revised English Bible
No votes
NRSV-New Revised Standard Version
No votes
MSG-Eugene Peterson's Message
No votes
ISV-International Standard Version
No votes
ESV-English Standard Version
29%
LEB-Lexham English Bible
No votes
Something Else (please specify in a post)
24%

Total votes: 17

Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

John Henry, Pound Foolish was referring to the fact that the Protestant canon has fewer books than the Catholic or Orthodox canon. The Eastern Orthodox canon of Scripture has 78 books, the Catholics canon has 73 and the Protestants canon has 66.
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

I pretty much agree with Tiger. I mainly use the ESV, but I also sometimes use the NIV. There are a few people at my church, including my youth pastor, who like to use the NLT sometimes, but that tends to irritate me.
"Happy Birthday to Hot Leaf Water Ess!" - Belle
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

But, the 1957 edition of the RSV includes all the Apocrypha: 1 & 2 Esdras, Additions to Esther, Tobit, Judith, Psalm 151, Wisdom, Ecclesiasticus (or Wisdom of Joshua son of Sirach), Baruch, Epistle of Jeremy, Song of Three Holy Children, Susanna, Bel & the Dragon, Prayer of Mannases, 1, 2, 3 & 4 Maccabees. So the RSV is not fully a Protestant Bible.

Say, did you know that the NKJV uses a magic symbol? Also, have you ever heard of the John Ankerberg Show? (though I never watch TV)
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

John Henry wrote:But, the 1957 edition of the RSV includes all the Apocrypha: 1 & 2 Esdras, Additions to Esther, Tobit, Judith, Psalm 151, Wisdom, Ecclesiasticus (or Wisdom of Joshua son of Sirach), Baruch, Epistle of Jeremy, Song of Three Holy Children, Susanna, Bel & the Dragon, Prayer of Mannases, 1, 2, 3 & 4 Maccabees. So the RSV is not fully a Protestant Bible.

Say, did you know that the NKJV uses a magic symbol? Also, have you ever heard of the John Ankerberg Show? (though I never watch TV)
Even though I don't hold it at the same level as the rest of Biblical scripture, I still enjoy reading through the Apocryha, especially the Book of Enoch, as Dragons in our Midst borrowed a lot of themes from it.

No, I did not know of either.
"Happy Birthday to Hot Leaf Water Ess!" - Belle
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

I wonder what people's opinions of this project are? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/53 ... ibliotheca
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
Wakko
Pistachio

It seems interesting. I might use it, the biggest problem I see is not being able to use it in churches because it might confusing. Also, I didn't look into it in great detail just skimmed the kickstarter page.
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

I wouldn't say this is a Bible for churches, all though on another topic I don't actually take my Bible to church since we use a Liturgy that incorporates Scripture into the text, nor is it the only Bible you should own but for me personally it's always been distracting to have all the chapters and verses and footnotes and commentaries in most Bibles. I am interested to see if this makes for easier daily reading. I mean the Bible is around 1700 pages and I read at least that many pages in other books every month but reading a chapter in the Bible seems like a chore and that's usually a page or two.

Wakko
Pistachio

Eleventh Doctor wrote:I wouldn't say this is a Bible for churches, all though on another topic I don't actually take my Bible to church since we use a Liturgy that incorporates Scripture into the text, nor is it the only Bible you should own but for me personally it's always been distracting to have all the chapters and verses and footnotes and commentaries in most Bibles. I am interested to see if this makes for easier daily reading. I mean the Bible is around 1700 pages and I read at least that many pages in other books every month but reading a chapter in the Bible seems like a chore and that's usually a page or two.
I agree. By the way, I meant it probably isn't a bible used for churches. ;)
Samantha14
Mint Chocolate Chip

T.S. (myself) wrote:
John Henry wrote:But, the 1957 edition of the RSV includes all the Apocrypha: 1 & 2 Esdras, Additions to Esther, Tobit, Judith, Psalm 151, Wisdom, Ecclesiasticus (or Wisdom of Joshua son of Sirach), Baruch, Epistle of Jeremy, Song of Three Holy Children, Susanna, Bel & the Dragon, Prayer of Mannases, 1, 2, 3 & 4 Maccabees. So the RSV is not fully a Protestant Bible.

Even though I don't hold it at the same level as the rest of Biblical scripture, I still enjoy reading through the Apocryha, especially the Book of Enoch, as Dragons in our Midst borrowed a lot of themes from it.

No, I did not know of either.
T.S. I love you xD I am glad I am not the only one who uses that as one of their reasons for reading the Apocryha. =p

*uses whatever bible handy that is not the Queen James version* >_>
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

Grrrr. What is that signature doing - bullying me? Some versions use the Gnostic rendering of 1 Timothy 3:16 ("He" instead of "God" was manifest in the flesh")
Last edited by John Henry on Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Samantha14
Mint Chocolate Chip

Nooooo, I would never bully you. *hug*

trollololol.

Okay, I have nothing else to say on this topic. Imma go find another to comment on and prolly mess with your head.
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

'Runs away from Samantha and talks from far away': I've been wrong about the RSV being the most daring. The NEB is worse.
HomeschoolCowgirl
Peach Cobbler

NKJV. ESV also.
"Musical training is a more potent instrument than any other, for rhythm and harmony find their way into the inner places of the soul... making the soul of one who is rightly educated, graceful" -- Socrates
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

Well, Versions you MUST avoid are Joseph Smith Jr.'s Translation, Queen James Version, and New World Translation.
Okie
Caramel Crunch

I think some versions paraphrase (NIV) which, for younger people who might
not otherwise understand it, is fine.
Sometimes, however, the translator might paraphrase wrong.
Bananareader
Caramel Crunch

The two translations I’ve actually used is the NIV, and the NLT, probably because they’re the only versions I own.
Patterson
Strawberry

I like the 1995 version of the NASB myself. My church mainly uses the ESV, but overall I prefer how the NASB forms sentences. I go back and forth between the two translations a lot though. I've heard the Legacy Standard Bible is a good newer translation too, but I haven't read it much. One of the main differences is that it tries to be as accurate as possible with the name of God. Often where most translations will say "God" or "The Lord" the LSB likes to say "Yahweh"