AIO - The Exception

The Front Counter is the main place for general Adventures in Odyssey discussions. Grab a Loc-Kno-Stra-Mal, and talk it up!
Tarol
Peach Cobbler

AIO - The Exception

I just realized how fortunate we are as Odyssey fans... Most "Christian" entertainment of all forms isn't quite up to snuff to most "secular" entertainment. Movies, songs, books...

But AIO has ignored this trend in Christian media, and is the exact opposite. It has great writers, professional actors, the best quality sound designers, and more! We are incredibly blessed to have this good quality audio drama, which should really set our standards high to what we expect in other media, especially Christian media. Although I might sometimes be embarrassed of CCM, I could /never/ be embarrassed by AIO.

So, let's keep being appreciative! And, if we ever go into creating Christian media, remember to keep our standards and quality high. Let's follow the AIO trend. ;)
xo eht haiasi-
Ameraka
Fudge Marble

This is what I want to do. Growing up on AIO has kept my standards high for Christian entertainment. I think that we should create the best product we can. God wants us to use our skills to the best of our ability, after all. Contrary to what some might think, the message suffers when the medium is substandard. We shouldn't just churn out stuff with a Christian message, and trust that the message alone will get our ideas across. Doing that sends a message that you don't want to put the care into what you're making that a non-Christian would. We should try to be worthy of the message, craft the best art we can, not to give ourselves praise but to give God glory.
I've thought this kind of thing for a long time but I'm not sure if I'm saying it right....
In any case I want to put Christian themes in my writing but write good stories too. They don't have to be mutually exclusive! As sometimes seems the case. Not with AIO. It's a good example to follow.

My book, Justice Lost, is on Amazon Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JM1XFCI
The Old Judge
Mint Chocolate Chip

Isaiah the Ox wrote:I just realized how fortunate we are as Odyssey fans... Most "Christian" entertainment of all forms isn't quite up to snuff to most "secular" entertainment. Movies, songs, books...
Amen.

My family and I walked into a Family Christian Store yesterday, and just yikes. There is a fine line to balance on here, trying not to appear to slander anybody; but when Christians, as you say, "churn out" product just to have it on the market, it is pitiful. In our media-obsessed culture, we need top-notch creations now more than ever. There are some movies there, I promise, where even the DVD cases and the covers are slipshod and shabby. The common joke around our house is one we stumbled across entitled Sunday School Musical. The slogan is "They put the hip in worship!" That is sad.

At that point, Christian media outlets are not only being horribly dull in their creativity, they are actually manufacturing a facsimile of the carnal, secular culture. This makes us look even more sorry, for we cannot not only surpass the world in quality, but we must copy their ideas as well. So, yes, I thank God for Adventures in Odyssey; not only for the lessons it has taught me and my family, but for the professionalism with which it accomplishes and performs everything. (Two other notable exceptions to this horrid state of affairs in Christian media is The Brinkman Adventures audio dramas, now with four released seasons and working on their fifth; and Sherwood Pictures, makers of Facing the Giants, The War Room, etc., which make such high quality movies that they are shown to great acclaim in secular theatres.)

Those old carnivals on the boardwalk. Man, they were fun. But don't ever go below. You never know what Drifters you'll find there. (1964)
Do you think you know music? Guess the hints at the end of each of my posts in A Musical Journey. (The name's a link. You can click it.)