What does Applesauce do?

The Front Counter is the main place for general Adventures in Odyssey discussions. Grab a Loc-Kno-Stra-Mal, and talk it up!
Baron von Odyssey
Cookies & Creme

What does Applesauce do?

I've heard the characters talk about Applesauce and how powerful it is a lot, but I'm still wondering what exactly it does. Anyone else have any theories? :?
"Greetings. Name's Baron Von Odyssey. My card."
(Card: [Baron von Odyssey - writer, book lover, fairytale enthusiast, and AIO fan])
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My posts are awesome! You wanna know why?
BECAUSE I'M BATMAN!!
Mickey
Peach Cobbler

Doesn't it have government programs?
Proud K.R.E Member
GJFH
Peanut Butter Cup

Maybe it reacts to electronics in a way designed to control use of technology. It did affect the machines at Whit's End...possibly it's a way to end electronic functions in a desperate dystopian situation?
I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us - Romans 8:18

It’s not enough to be against something. You have to be for something better. – Tony Stark
NinjaHunter
Raspberry Ripple

I always thought that was more of an artificial intelligence program using the tech from the Imagination Station.
HomeschoolCowgirl
Peach Cobbler

GJFH, the computer was connected to all the inventions to run/control them, but they started going wild because Applesauce made the computer run a systems check. Systems checks wreak havoc on stuff. I think that's it at least...
"Musical training is a more potent instrument than any other, for rhythm and harmony find their way into the inner places of the soul... making the soul of one who is rightly educated, graceful" -- Socrates
Shadow
Peach Cobbler

We will find out #soontm.
I'm Monty Whittaker's greatest fan. member of the K.R.E
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

Alex Jefferson wrote:We will find out #soontm.
Oh? How so?

I dunno if I want to know about what exactly Applesauce does. On the one hand, it'd open the door for some interesting looks into Whit's history (and maybe even some moral ambiguousness); on the other hand, it's such an interesting mystery that fans have speculated on for so long that I wonder if the writers can ever come up with an explanation that would satisfy us.
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
Shadow
Peach Cobbler

TigerShadow wrote:
Alex Jefferson wrote:We will find out #soontm.
Oh? How so?
It was a joke.
Luke Evans
Caramel Crunch
Location: I'll be back on in five minutes, but if im not, read this message again.

I personaly think that, knowing applesause would control all the machimes in whits end, might be an artificial intelligence, that can control many electronics at once, so the mothership of the motherships

Accordion to my calculations, 1 out of 10 people realized I changed one of my words with an instrument.
Shadow
Peach Cobbler

Or it is programmed to help government officials with projects?
HomeschoolCowgirl
Peach Cobbler

Probably -- it helped Tasha write the formula for TA418, or so she said.
"Musical training is a more potent instrument than any other, for rhythm and harmony find their way into the inner places of the soul... making the soul of one who is rightly educated, graceful" -- Socrates
Shadow
Peach Cobbler

Yeah, and it also should be able to control electronics as it destroyed the IS in 'The Battle', and shutdown everything in Whit's End in 'A Bite of Applesauce'.
Bob
Caramel Crunch

No, the power surge was triggered through the standard control panel that Whit had for things at Whit's End. The systems check was just a precursor to trying to log into Applesauce, and shutting things down was the response to a failed password entry. There's no reason to suppose those things are related to Applesauce's actual purpose.
A classic never goes out of style.
HomeschoolCowgirl
Peach Cobbler

I don't mean that Applesauce was created to "wreak havoc" at Whit's End, just that the chaos was caused because of, and not by, the program and Connie's attempt to access it. "Mabel" did it, on behalf of Whit, to protect Applesauce. It just makes sense for Whit to put in such a safeguard; one that scares the living daylights out of someone unauthorizedly trying to get into the program!
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

I mean, to be fair, there's a lot that Whit has done "for the government" that's never really elaborated on. Sort of a nebulous catch-all explanation for his backstory.
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
The Old Judge
Mint Chocolate Chip

TigerShadow wrote:I mean, to be fair, there's a lot that Whit has done "for the government" that's never really elaborated on. Sort of a nebulous catch-all explanation for his backstory.
Also, to be fair, any reading on actual disclosed government files from the era that Whit worked with the CIA and Department of Defense (late-1950s to early-1970s) justifies keeping the entirety of Applesauce's functions secretive. We probably wouldn't even believe what it did/does if we did find out. The AIO team could have let their minds soar with what the program did and still be within the realm of possibility for that time. The Achilles' heel of a reveal, besides losing so important a secret, would be that many would say, "Oh, that's science fiction! There's no way that that's realistic!"
Do you think you know music? Guess the hints at the end of each of my posts in A Musical Journey. (The name's a link. You can click it.)