Disagreeing With Odyssey

The Front Counter is the main place for general Adventures in Odyssey discussions. Grab a Loc-Kno-Stra-Mal, and talk it up!
GJFH
Peanut Butter Cup

I agree, the conflict was drawn out longer than need be and was almost predictable.

I really enjoy the tension in "Life in The Third Person" but I think what needs to be addressed is that prayer isn't magical. God does say no, and sometimes doesn't give answers as distinctly or readily as we think we need them. Of course this could be argued, I'm not at all saying prayer is an important part of a believer's life and needed in marriage, but our talking with God does not guarantee that our wants and desires will be fulfilled.
Anyways, I'm glad for the Straussbergs and saddened by their leave. I really would like to see Trent and Mandy's married life.
I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us - Romans 8:18

It’s not enough to be against something. You have to be for something better. – Tony Stark
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

GJFH wrote:Anyways, I'm glad for the Straussbergs and saddened by their leave. I really would like to see Trent and Mandy's married life.
I agree with all of your post, but I'm quoting this because it's an exact portrait of me.

I'm listening to "The Living Nativity", and I'm honestly kind of bothered by the fact that they interpret the separation of church and state as a bad thing (which is not exclusive to "The Living Nativity", but it's what I'm listening to at present). The argument comes across very similarly to those of all the people who complain that Christians are being "persecuted" in America because most people don't agree with our stance on one thing or another, and that if they can't have a nativity scene in front of city hall, then their right to free exercise is being deprived. No...it's not. They're just saying that the iconography of one religion cannot be placed on state-owned property. A deprivation of rights would be telling them that they can't have the nativity scene anywhere, but that's not what's happening here.

I also disagree with Whit's statement about how the principle of separation of church and state—which, by the way, is in the language of many Supreme Court opinions on the matter in similar cases, which means that it carries much more judicial weight than it did when it first appeared in Jefferson's letter to the Danbury Baptist Association—removes God's influence entirely from the government. As long as there are Christians in government who follow God's commands and legislate or enforce laws or enact justice based on biblical conviction as well as legal standards, then God is not removed from the government. As far as I'm concerned, the government wasn't all that much better when references to Christianity were a matter of course; as a matter of fact, I think we're a lot better off now than we were when Supreme Court justices were using their twisted interpretations of Scripture to justify why women shouldn't work outside the home or when politicians were arguing that people of some races were designed by God to be inferior to others. I know Focus has a very different opinion on this than I do and that they're the ones that have final say on this...but I'm perfectly happy to disagree with Focus as a whole as well as this specific show.
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
Tarol
Peach Cobbler

I'd have to say I disagree with the Columbus episode.... Chris and Whit basically say "Who cares Columbus was a terrible person to the natives and etc. he discovered America so he's a hero!!!!!" ........

Also, "A Memory of Jerry" always makes me a bit uncomfortable, being a pacifist... They make it out as if it's a sin to not go to war. >_>
xo eht haiasi-
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Isaiah the Ox wrote:I'd have to say I disagree with the Columbus episode.... Chris and Whit basically say "Who cares Columbus was a terrible person to the natives and etc. he discovered America so he's a hero!!!!!" ........

Also, "A Memory of Jerry" always makes me a bit uncomfortable, being a pacifist... They make it out as if it's a sin to not go to war. >_>
You are sounding more like a troll everday. :twisted: :mrgreen:
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~
AKA Countess Concordia of the Chat, Regalia, and the Queen of Sarcasm

I am a personal quirk. --Adrian Dreamwalker
The Old Judge
Mint Chocolate Chip

Isaiah the Ox wrote:Also, "A Memory of Jerry" always makes me a bit uncomfortable, being a pacifist... They make it out as if it's a sin to not go to war. >_>
So, what are your opinions on "Sergeant York?" He was a pacifist, too, if you remember. He tried to remove himself from the actual warfare by enlisting in the Army as a conscientious objector.

And Jerry was a hero. I can't say all, due to some of you Debate Vampires, but I have not met a Vietnam veteran yet (and I have met many) who I could not say was a hero.

After the turn of the century
In the clear blue skies over Germany,
Came a roar and a thunder that was never heard
(1967)
Do you think you know music? Guess the hints at the end of each of my posts in A Musical Journey. (The name's a link. You can click it.)
PennyBassett
Fudge Marble

Isaiah the Ox wrote:I'd have to say I disagree with the Columbus episode.... Chris and Whit basically say "Who cares Columbus was a terrible person to the natives and etc. he discovered America so he's a hero!!!!!" ........

I think they were saying it was a sin not to run away from that, or leave the country illegally. In Sargent York, they make it clear that for some Christians, going to war isn't the best thing for religious reasons.
"Let me get this straight. I bet all those non-friends of yours try to embarrass you about your love for that stuff, right? So, you almost feel like you have to hide your treasures away and can only take them out in secret on rainy days when your mom goes to the store to get more liver and nobody is around to berate your sensitive spirit. Is that what you’re saying?" -Jay Smouse
NinjaHunter
Raspberry Ripple

PennyBassett wrote:I think they were saying it was a sin not to run away from that, or leave the country illegally. In Sargent York, they make it clear that for some Christians, going to war isn't the best thing for religious reasons.
I think it was also showcasing Jerry's struggle against his own fear versus his convictions. Jerry had already decided that being drafted was the right thing to do.

Etc., etc.: I, Ninjahunter
Baron von Odyssey
Cookies & Creme

I personally disagree with the episode "The Last Shall Be First", because it makes it look like if you don't go to church you're not a Christian.
"Greetings. Name's Baron Von Odyssey. My card."
(Card: [Baron von Odyssey - writer, book lover, fairytale enthusiast, and AIO fan])
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My posts are awesome! You wanna know why?
BECAUSE I'M BATMAN!!
Didi
Cookies & Creme

I don't think they were trying to bash all role-playing games, but I think they were aiming for games like Dungeons and Dragons and Ouija boards and other witchcraft related 'games'.
"I was born with white vans on"
"Vans weren't even popular when you were born"
K.R.E.
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

Baron von Odyssey wrote:I personally disagree with the episode "The Last Shall Be First", because it makes it look like if you don't go to church you're not a Christian.
I don't think I've heard that one. What's it about?
Didi loves Odyssey wrote:I don't think they were trying to bash all role-playing games, but I think they were aiming for games like Dungeons and Dragons and Ouija boards and other witchcraft related 'games'.
That's our problem—Dungeons & Dragons doesn't promote witchcraft; it's not on near the same level as Ouija boards. The episode sets up a strawman and then throws in some platitude about how "well, we know that #NotAllRPGs" to try to absolve itself from that particular critique. When your main crux is "this role-playing game clearly based on D&D led to demon-summoning", I think we can be forgiven for feeling like we were bashed over the head with a "moral" that doesn't really hold up from a storytelling or real-world perspective.
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
Didi
Cookies & Creme

Didi loves Odyssey wrote:I don't think they were trying to bash all role-playing games, but I think they were aiming for games like Dungeons and Dragons and Ouija boards and other witchcraft related 'games'.
That's our problem—Dungeons & Dragons doesn't promote witchcraft; it's not on near the same level as Ouija boards. The episode sets up a strawman and then throws in some platitude about how "well, we know that #NotAllRPGs" to try to absolve itself from that particular critique. When your main crux is "this role-playing game clearly based on D&D led to demon-summoning", I think we can be forgiven for feeling like we were bashed over the head with a "moral" that doesn't really hold up from a storytelling or real-world perspective.[/quote]

Ok, I'll have to look in to D&D more. My dad and I had talked about it after the episode and for the record, my dad is quite wise when it comes to things like that. Hmm...wise...maybe I should be Penny XD
"I was born with white vans on"
"Vans weren't even popular when you were born"
K.R.E.
Baron von Odyssey
Cookies & Creme

TigerShadow wrote:
Baron von Odyssey wrote:I personally disagree with the episode "The Last Shall Be First", because it makes it look like if you don't go to church you're not a Christian.
I don't think I've heard that one. What's it about?
It's the one where Connie tries to convince her great uncle Joe to come to church with her.
"Greetings. Name's Baron Von Odyssey. My card."
(Card: [Baron von Odyssey - writer, book lover, fairytale enthusiast, and AIO fan])
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My posts are awesome! You wanna know why?
BECAUSE I'M BATMAN!!
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

As someone who regularly plays D&D I can say categorically that it does not involve witchcraft or demons.
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
Tarol
Peach Cobbler

The Old Judge wrote:So, what are your opinions on "Sergeant York?" He was a pacifist, too, if you remember. He tried to remove himself from the actual warfare by enlisting in the Army as a conscientious objector.

And Jerry was a hero. I can't say all, due to some of you Debate Vampires, but I have not met a Vietnam veteran yet (and I have met many) who I could not say was a hero.
Yes, I have listened to Sergeant York, but of course that doesn't mean that's right for everyone. God calls each person to different things. I could find plenty of stories of people being called by God to /be/ a Conscientious Objector. My relatives included.

And I never said Jerry wasn't a hero. But I think Conscientious Objectors are heroes too.
PennyBassett wrote:I think they were saying it was a sin not to run away from that, or leave the country illegally. In Sargent York, they make it clear that for some Christians, going to war isn't the best thing for religious reasons.
Yeah, I know... but I can imagine listeners viewing it in the wrong light and thinking Conscientious Objectors (which, most likely, very few people have heard about) are breaking the law and sinners.

There is also a comment by a Priest about fighting in Telemachus that I don't agree with... (I can't remember it) but the rest of the episode makes up for it. =p
xo eht haiasi-
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

TigerShadow wrote:That's our problem—Dungeons & Dragons doesn't promote witchcraft; it's not on near the same level as Ouija boards.
Honestly, I would really question the extent of the stigma surrounding Ouija boards as well. The Ouija board was patented in 1891 by Elijah Bond, and was later popularized commercially by William Fuld, who stated that the name comes from the French and German words for 'yes.' Ouija boards were marketed as a parlor game, and were not associated with the occult until 20 or so years later. The Ouija franchise was sold to Parker Brothers in the 1960s, which was then bought by Hasbro, which now sells the boards alongside Monopoly, Clue, and Battleship sets.

The Ouija board itself is a piece of wood or cardboard with letters written on it. It comes with a planchette, which is basically a small piece of wood with a hole in the middle mounted on wheels. The user(s) place their fingertips on the planchette and it "is guided" to various letters/words. It 'works' because of the Ideomotor phenomenon, where a person makes minute, unconscious movements based on their expectations of what will happen. The user comes up with a question, and their subconscious guides them to an answer.

I personally don't ever have plans to use an Ouija board, but really I think what matters is whether you're trying to communicate with demons or the spirits of the dead or something. The Ouija board itself isn't particularly remarkable; it doesn't have any special powers.

Consider the Magic 8 Ball (I'm assuming they don't have a similar reputation, since my parents let me play with them). Again, there's nothing magic about it, it's just a ball filled with liquid and a die. You ask a question and shake the ball, and the die rises to the top to show an answer like "Yes," "No," or "Maybe Someday." Then imagine that a spiritualist comes along and says that Magic 8 Balls allow you to communicate with the dead, and it gets associated with the occult, so a bunch of church leaders come out and say that Magic 8 Balls are demon portals. I would argue that the real issue isn't the Magic 8 Ball, it's when people treat it seriously and pretend they can talk to dead people with it.
"Happy Birthday to Hot Leaf Water Ess!" - Belle
AuntSarah
Caramel Crunch

I agree with T.S.

on a different note could someone please explain to me what a ''troll account'' is (you can message me if you want) thank you in advance! (was this a good place to ask? I didn't really know where to go with that question but I saw people talking about it so I thought you guys would know)
Aha suh dude
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

"Troll" has a few different definitions. Trolling can sometimes mean sarcastic or light-hearted joking.

Usually people say "troll account" about a user who they believe is not sincere in their posts, and is just trying to get reactions out of other people.
"Happy Birthday to Hot Leaf Water Ess!" - Belle