Avery Awards

The Front Counter is the main place for general Adventures in Odyssey discussions. Grab a Loc-Kno-Stra-Mal, and talk it up!
Nelson S.
Mint Chocolate Chip

I liked album #57 Avery Awards ceremony. (If you can call it a ceremony.) I thought it was really well done. Though I didn't think it was making fun of AIO fans. But I can see why you would think that.

When the voting started, I wrote down my answers so I could look back to see what I had guessed. (Cause I always forget. I've writing down my answers for the last few Avery Awards.) Anyways, I got 4/7 correct.
For album #56, I got like one correct! XD As I've stated before, I didn't like album #56, which may be the reason I didn't get the Avery Award majority answers correct. Haha.
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Well, Josh, I must admit that it was annoying to see Hertford win again in such a prominent category as Best Actor, and over such good alternatives too. It was so predictable. Other actors deserved to win this time. I was glad Katrina and Eugene at the restaurant won best scene.
And the are not.

Ben, perhaps not exactly making fun. But at any rate, making jokes about the bloggers and podcasters, obviously.
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
Nelson S.
Mint Chocolate Chip

Yeah, yeah, I can see your assessment of the jokes a bit more clearly, PF. And I agree with you more.

And that kind of is annoying that the fan favorites do win every time. Whenever there's an Avery Award, I always think that the popular ones win, but I pick the ones I think should win.

Here's what I guessed:
Best Actress:

Michaela Dean as Camilla Parker in "Your Servant is Listening"
I voted - Katie Leigh as Connie Kendall in "Life Expectancy" - Winner
Cristina Pucelli as Emily Jones in "Big Trouble Under the Big Top"
Lori Tritel as Lilly Graham in "The Pilot"
Audrey Wasilewski as Katrina Meltsner in "More Than a Feeling"

Sound Design:

All nominated.
I voted - Your Servant is Listening, Parts 1 & 2
Winner - The Pilot

Best Actor:

Sean Fox as Samuel in "Your Servant is Listening"
Whit Hertford as Jay Smouse in "The Friend Formula" - Winner
I voted - Andy Pessoa as Barrett Jones in "Repent After Me"
Will Ryan as Eugene Meltsner in "More Than a Feeling"
Andre Stojka as Whit in "Life Expectancy"

Best Script:

All nominated.
I voted - "Life Expectancy, Parts 1, 2, & 3" - Winner

Best Scene:

Samuel answering God's voice in "Your Servant is Listening"
I voted - Eugene and Katrina yelling romantic thoughts over a loud singer in "More
Than a Feeling" - Winner

Emily and Matthew try to stop the cannon from going off in "Big Trouble Under the Big Top"
The funeral for Connie's mom in "Life Expectancy"
Bill and Jules Kendall showing up at Connie's door in "Life Expectancy"

Best Overall Episode:

All nominated.
I voted - "Life Expectancy, Parts 1, 2, & 3" - Winner
And I was wrong, I technically got 4/6 correct. Not 4/7.

And phooey! For the two Avery Awards before this last one, I would also put my predictions. But I forgot to do it this time. :/
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Best Actress:

Shona Kennedy as Jules

Katie Leigh as Connie

Barbara Niles as Miss Rhonda Adelaide

Kimmy Robertson as Penny

Audrey Wasilewsky as Katrina

My Pick

Shona! I'm biased of course. After all, she's one of us, and she's living our ultimate dream. Still, fanboy bias aside, she performed marvelously as Jules, shaping this new character into someone who made bad decisions and yet made us like her.

Probable Win:

Katie Leigh. Just a wild guess.

Best Sound Moment

Wooton and Penny visit Comic-Connellsville and see many displays.

Whit uses the train set as an object lesson and all the kids participate.

Buck gets beat up by Vance's friends in McAlister Park.

Harlow and the kids are surprised that a ghost town is filled with zombies.

My Pick:

The train scene, possibly their most dramatically, imaginatively and emotionally effective use of sound design yet. On a side note, have the Averies ever had this category before? They may have with GRC. In any case, "Best Sound Moment" works better than the more general question of which episode had the best sound design.

Probable Win:

Comic Connelsville. Definitely a moment of sound design that stands out in AIO history. It brought you right to Comic Connelsvielle, entertained, and amazed.

Best Acter

Robby Bruce as Buck Oliver

Chad Doreck as Hadley Bassett

Jess Harnell as Wooton Bassett

Will Ryan as Eugene Meltsner and Harlow Doyle

Andre Stojka as John Whittaker

My Pick:

Chad Doreck. He deserves hearty, "Welcome aboard" for bringing Wooton's clumsy cousin to us.

Probable Win:

Robby. Never underestimate fangirls.

Most Surprising Moment

Jules Kendall shows up at Comic-Connellsville.

Whit's End is vandalized by the Vigilantors.

Whit collapses at an Odyssey Business Association Meeting.

Wooton's house burns down.

Jules Kendall is the Perilous Pen's informant.

My Pick and Probable Win

Wooton's house burning down takes the grape juice float. We all found that rather shocking. Even when you find it's burned, you find yourself siding with Hadley when he insists the house is likely okay. Tehy wouldn't burn down an iconic character's also iconic house, would they? Not twice, right?
Best New Character

Ben Parley (Odyssey Business Association president)

Dee Grant (Representative for Maximized Comics)

Hadley Bassett (Wooton's cousin)

Hugo Wells (World-famous art collector)

Randall Edgeware (Ms. Adelaide's brother)

My Pick
Randall Edgeware makes this a brutal race. The Ties that Bind established Hadley as lovable, hilarous, and got us interested in his fate, surprised us with how dishonest he can be, and made us look forward to seeing more of him. All in 14 episodes. Still, Randall was heartrending, and his actor played him well. But Hadley definitely deserves the Avery.

Probable Win
Probably Hadley. Most Odyssians are young kids after all, and few things win over kids like humor. And if the humorous character sounds like Olaf, well.

So, what are your hopes for the wins? Let's talk it up.
Last edited by Pound Foolish on Fri May 08, 2015 8:50 pm, edited 6 times in total.
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
truAIOfan
Cookies & Creme

What a good topic, Pound Foolish!

Actually, I believe that Shona might win for best actress. She is a new character that brings new interest into the episodes.

The tran room is the best scene in the album to my opinion. Odyssey has never really done something like it before. Whit did a wonderful job explaining with the trains.

You are probably right about Robby Bruce. :)

Even though I had already found out that Wooton's house burnt down, it was still huge surprise to find that it actually happened. Strike that...terrible surprise.
“Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God.” -Corrie Ten Boom
Blitz
Moose Tracks

Whit collapses at an Odyssey Business Association Meeting was probably the biggest surprise because other and Wooten's house burning down, the rest were hinted or could be guessed.
Debate Vampire

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

I agree with PF on every one of his picks. Great minds think alike, eh? ;)
Sir Arnold, Knight of the Order of Augustine, Debate Vampire
Mr. Yorp wrote:You don't need a degree to shovel manure.
Novatom
Raspberry Ripple

I voted for Buck; other than that I completely agree with your list.
17:39<Novatom>: I'm in another boat. A boat of people who don't know what everyone's talking about. A boat that is sinking.
17:40<Sameriazx>: oh no... here we go again...
truAIOfan
Cookies & Creme

Me, too.^
“Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God.” -Corrie Ten Boom
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

ArnoldtheRubberDucky wrote:I agree with PF on every one of his picks. Great minds think alike, eh? ;)
You just called me a great mind.
Novatom wrote:I voted for Buck; other than that I completely agree with your list.
I'm glad. But even if you don't agree with the list agree with the post, since I predicted you fangirls would vote for Robby. Especially now you've seen his picture on the site and Buck is illustrated. You fangirls shouldn't be allowed to vote. You complain about the culture of beauty obsession (ala Liz) then turn around and vote for the cute guy! :P
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Goodnight! Look who wrote the averies.

http://whitsendblog.org/2015/02/the-tie ... ry-awards/
Gooey98
Raspberry Ripple

The only way I knew Kevin wrote it was the puns, the jokes, the sense of humor in general, and all the voices Kevin did in it.
Well, that and he's written the past 3 or 5 or so.
My David Crowder*Band website: http://dcbplus.weebly.com
My YouTube: http://youtube.com/WillLocatelli
My gaming YouTube: http://youtube.com/KingGrahamGaming
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Ha ha! But no he hasn't. Didn't he only write the GRC one before this? There was one by BlimeyCow last time though.
Gooey98
Raspberry Ripple

Pound Foolish wrote:Ha ha! But no he hasn't. Didn't he only write the GRC one before this? There was one by BlimeyCow last time though.
No...last time it was by Kevin. It had several voices from Blimey Cow, but Kevin wrote it as well as doing one of the main voices. http://www.whitsendblog.org/2013/11/a-c ... ry-awards/
Kevin also did a voice in the Album 51 one; I was under the impression that he had written most of them.
My David Crowder*Band website: http://dcbplus.weebly.com
My YouTube: http://youtube.com/WillLocatelli
My gaming YouTube: http://youtube.com/KingGrahamGaming
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

You're right, he did write the last one. But the one before that was video one which I don't think he wrote? Anyhow, typically fun Averies with unusually satisfactory results, I'd say. :)
HomeschoolCowgirl
Peach Cobbler

I'm with you on the Randall-for-best-new-character. This may just be coming from an "older than target age" listener, but for me, Hadley brought just a little too-o-o much "slapstick comic relief".
"Musical training is a more potent instrument than any other, for rhythm and harmony find their way into the inner places of the soul... making the soul of one who is rightly educated, graceful" -- Socrates
Mickey
Peach Cobbler

Best actor for me is Kimmy Robertson Best actor Jess Harnell!!
Proud K.R.E Member
The Old Judge
Mint Chocolate Chip

My opinions, now that I have finally listened to Album 58:

Best Actress: Barbara Niles as Miss Rhonda Adelaide
Best Sound Moment: Whit uses the train set as an object lesson and all the kids participate.
Best Actor: Andre Stojka as John Whittaker
Most Surprising Moment: Whit collapses at an Odyssey Business Association Meeting.
Best New Character: Randall Edgeware
Do you think you know music? Guess the hints at the end of each of my posts in A Musical Journey. (The name's a link. You can click it.)
KeyBladeWarrior
Cookies & Creme

When the poll was out, I voted for

Best Actress: Shona Kennedy as Jules Kendall
Best Sound Moment: Whit uses the train set as an object lesson and all the kids participate
Best Actor: Robby Bruce as Buck Oliver
Most Surprising Moment: Whit collapses at an Odyssey Business Association Meeting
Best New Character: Randall Edgeware