The "Skip a few years" idea

The Front Counter is the main place for general Adventures in Odyssey discussions. Grab a Loc-Kno-Stra-Mal, and talk it up!
Aaron Wiley
Pistachio

The "Skip a few years" idea

I was reading in the new official guide that one of the original ideas for album 51 was to set it about 5 years after album 50. This idea would help explain the drastic change of cast and characters and Whit's voice change. The idea involved a few cool things like a new job for Connie, kids for Eugene and Katrina and a few other major changes. in the end, the idea was rejected because the writers thought it might be too big of a change for the fans, and that they'd complain.

I personally think this could have been a really interesting idea had they decided to actually go through with it, but I do wonder if fans would be complaining more about the change because of 5 years of time passing between albums, or the drastic change of characters and actors when no time passed at all (like they did when album 51 was released)

What do you think? Should they have taken the leap of faith and tried this idea? Do you think it was a good decision to do what they did and try to make the changes a bit more "minor"?
"I strive to be an Elephant" - Odyssey Fan Wiley
GabrielleFandomGirl
Fudge Marble

They should have done it!
"What-ever."- Pound Foolish

E.R.K.

"Why are you cutting a table with a chainsaw...?"
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

A new job for Connie... doing what? Doing Nathan Hoobler's toe nails? I mean, what else could she possibly be doing? Anyhow, more seriously, while I am so used to Connie's job and it and her have become so synonymous in my mind that separating her from her job seems like tearing her in two, limb from limb, it seems like a neat idea. After all, she seems to have stopped growing rather short of her full development potential, and she has always dreamed of being a teacher. Maybe it's AIO realized its own character's life-plans.
Anyhow, trust me, fans would have complained. I mean, they complained a ton about the smaller-ish changes, even. Plus, it would just be too much for AIO production to into non-existence for five whole years.
Oh well, it sounds like it would have been great in some ways... I don't know. If it wasn't for the five years thing, I guess I'd say they should've gone for it. On the other hand, fans of things are always wondering "what if things could have been different...?"
  • "Pound Foolish, I just adoreee arguing with you! Here, have an eyeball."
~Suzy Lou Foolish

As the founder of the E.R.K., may I say: Emily RULES!
Nelson S.
Mint Chocolate Chip

I think it might have be a good change. I mean a lot of people would just hate the idea.
Kaida
Fudge Marble

Part of me thinks that it would've been a good idea and really interesting. But the other part of me would've been "What in the world happened in those 5 years? What did I miss? Explain please!"
Isaiah 40:8, 1 Corinthians 10:31
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

I think that it would have been and interesting idea, especially since time seems to pass so slowly in regular Odyssey time.

It is an interesting concept and I wish that they had tried it.
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~
Ben Warren
Chocolate Chip

There were so many changes made around that time that it really was too much to handle for many. The 5 year gap would have simply helped to explain those changes. I mean, Paul Herlinger had a good, logical excuse for why Whit's voice sounded different, why couldn't Stojka? It would have also explained large disappearances in characters (Bart, Tom, Bernard). It might seem jarring, but it's actually more jarring not having a reasonable explanation for changes.

That said, I would prefer to see the show make those change naturally without the need of a gap. Why can't Connie getting a job and Eugene having kids just be normal plot points?

Odyssey worked out, though, despite not making that big change. I like the show now.

Ben
Suzy Lou Foolish
Peanut Butter Cup

Like some of the others, I waver between whether I would have liked the idea or not. While it may be interesting to see what it would be like with a large gap and some quite major changes, I'm still rather grateful they decided to push away that idea...and like Ben W. said, it still worked out, even though they went against that plan. But goodness, Connie with a new job? Of course, I readily thought "how ridiculous". I can hardly imagine her not working a Whits End, and the thought is rather saddening. I suppose she must move on sometime, though. Poor Connie, we shall be forever deeming her to remain in the same position of the past twenty years.

Now, on the other hand--Eugene with a kid? That might be fun to see! I wonder if the child will be destroying bathtubs and attending Campbell County Community college by the age of 13?
Liz'alike
Cookie Dough

That is a very interesting idea... I don't know if I would have liked it or not :?

I think it would have made a lot of interesting stories. But, overall I think I would have been sad to miss out on so much in AIO's life. Though, maybe Connie could be married to Jason in a 5 year span (or at least be engaged! lol).

If they had done it, I would have rolled with the punch, but I don't think I would pick it.
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

I personally think they should have done it. It would have solved a lot of problems, and if anyone complained, I have to say in a less than sensitive manner that that's their problem. I don't know why anyone would complain, anymore than I know why parents complained about other episodes. I think it would be an intriguing idea that could be done well, so I'm all for it. But I guess it's too late now... :cry: And as a side note, I can't wait to read the new Official Guide! :D
Sir Arnold, Knight of the Order of Augustine, Debate Vampire
Mr. Yorp wrote:You don't need a degree to shovel manure.
Kaida
Fudge Marble

I just got mine recently! :D I'm letting my brother read it first though cause he asked.. I'll read it after him..
whittaker96
Caramel Crunch

That would have been a great way to explain the new changes - and multiple television shows have used that technique to "go in a new direction for the show" - which was what Odyssey did. Oh well.

Is it worth getting the new Guide if I already have the 2008 edition? How much new stuff is there?
Come take a humorous, modern look at Odyssey, reviewing, discovering, and applying w/ Out of Control in Odyssey and Candid KOnversations! Join the odyssey to find the real Odyssey.

http://odysseyoutofcontrol.blogspot.com/
Kaida
Fudge Marble

I don't know.. I haven't read it yet. I won it though.. I didn't buy it.
Suzy Lou Foolish
Peanut Butter Cup

Be sure to let us know what you think of it when you do, Kaids. I'd like to get it as well, if it is good. (Which I could hardly imagine it not.)
Nelson S.
Mint Chocolate Chip

I really want it! But I don't want to spend my money on it. Haha!
Samantha14
Mint Chocolate Chip

Nelson S. wrote:I really want it! But I don't want to spend my money on it. Haha!
Three words for you...
Make a trade ;)

"I work for guide" :D
GabrielleFandomGirl
Fudge Marble

I think it coulda been interesting, but I like to way it is now!
"What-ever."- Pound Foolish

E.R.K.

"Why are you cutting a table with a chainsaw...?"
Bethany Shepard
Moose Tracks

All I have to say is "change can help you change and that can be a good thing". :D
"I am not a demon. I am a lizard, a shark, a heat-seeking panther.
I want to be Bob Denver on acid playing the accordion."
-Nicolas Cage