Emily Jones

Do you think Matthew is a great character? Absolutely hate Emily? This is the place to discuss AIO characters, from the old to the new!

Emily Jones

Poll ended at Thu May 17, 2012 8:42 am

She is AWESOME and One of my Favorites
No votes
She is pretty cool not my favorite though
67%
She is Nice most of the time
33%
Wish she Would Leave..
No votes

Total votes: 9

GabrielleFandomGirl
Fudge Marble

I am making my official resignation from the E.S.K.
"What-ever."- Pound Foolish

E.R.K.

"Why are you cutting a table with a chainsaw...?"
Aftershocker
Mocha Jamocha

Here, Gabler, you can start fresh now.
^^ Props to Belle ^^
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Okay, people keep saying, "When is the debate?" Well, for Pete's sake, let's have the debate already.
We all know the situation. We Emilyophiles know that Emily has many qualities, is entertaining to listen to, and a good role-model. An all-around good character.
Certain nuts think Emily isn't.
They are wrong. We are right.
Well, let's go.
First off, Blondie... what makes you think Emily isn't a good character? What silly things could TS tell you to make such an Emilyophile, my own dear Grand Vizier, think such a thing? We must clear your mind.
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
Whittifer
Raspberry Ripple

Is the debate here and now? And if so how long will it last?
Nothing.
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Everyone keeps kicking and screaming for a debate.. Well? Is everyone just conveniently jumping over this topic when you post in here? Enough. Here I stand, leader of the ERK, and dare anyone of the THEC or ESK to defy me. If no one challenges, you are all declared in surrender, and vanquished, every one!
Well? Anyone? If nobody posts, that's just fiii-innne with me-eee...
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

I shall spend the next day in fasting, prayer, and AiO listening in preparation for this battle. I shall also confide in my comrades to form a strategy.

You may expect a reply by Thursday.
"Happy Birthday to Hot Leaf Water Ess!" - Belle
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

It just so happens to now be Friday.
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

Okay, I lied. I'm very sorry. Life has gotten in the way again. :(

I shouldn't have given a date that I wasn't sure I could meet, so I apologize for that. I do promise to give a response, but I'm not going to give an exact time. I have secured a summer lifeguarding job, which happens to be taking up most of my time these days.
"Happy Birthday to Hot Leaf Water Ess!" - Belle
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

Looking back at this topic, my arguments were pathetic. I suppose they weren't meant to be completely serious; it was sort of a "Haha, let's pretend we hate Emily so PF will hate us." kind of thing. Either way, however, it was fairly unintelligent. But now, with some time to think, I believe I can now truthfully give my opinion on the character who has stirred up this board more than any other, (and I blame myself for much of that) Ms. Emily Jones...

The Jones family as a whole do not impress me. Little Barret Jones is boring, Little Mrs. Jones is a total nobody, and Big Mr. Jones is a blundering oaf. But what about Emily Jones? What do I think of her? Is she annoying? In general, that is personal taste, and should not be the main argument against a character. Is she too complex? Of course not. That argument was made by me simply for lack of a better one. Complexity should be welcome on AIO in an age with such shallow characters. Is she rude? Maybe sometimes, but that gives her an edge not often seen in the kids of Odyssey. And, well, what the heck, every kid is a little rude at some point. So if there are very little flaws in her character, does that mean I don't have a problem with her? No. In fact, I have a couple of problems with Emily Jones, but in her defense, her pros outweigh her cons.

My main problem with this girl is the episodes she's in, and the roles she takes on in those episodes. There have been two instances where I like her role in an episode: Emily, the Genius and Great Expectations. These are both quality episodes where Emily's personality is used to complement the story. The remainder of her episodes are either weak episodes themselves or good episodes made slightly weaker by Emily's role. My two favorite examples of this are all the Jones & Parker Detective Agency episodes and The Green Ring Conspiracy.

In GRC, what is Emily's main role? To be deceived by Buck, so he can get Derk's cell phone. This is probably a half-hearted attempt by the AIO team to hearkan back to the classic relationship between Lucy Cunningham and Richard Maxwell. Except, in this case, it doesn't quite work the way the former did. Back in Album 5, Richard used his "charm" to coax Lucy into telling him important things about Whit's End. She helps him, and in doing so, drastically alters the plot.

There's also a satisfying climax to their relationship, in the hospital, when Lucy calls Richard a coward. In GRC, Emily develops an attraction to Buck and he asks her to help him find his phone. Buck discovers Matthew had found it, and, after telling Eugene and Matthew what the password is, proceeds to throw the phone on the ground and run away. Did Emily help with any of this? No. Her relationship with Buck did nothing to advance the plot. After a breif apology in Pt. 12, Buck never sees her again. In short, Emily and Buck's romance is boring, pointless, and overly familiar. Buck and Katrina's relationship is far more interesting, and actually comes to a climax. I suppose you could argue that Emily did do something in Pt. 1 in finding the backpack of money. It's a fair argument, but it's still an understatement to say she didn't do as much as she should've, considering she was in about half the episodes.

The Jones & Parker Detective Agency stuff is not quite the same situation; it's not that Emily didn't do enough, she just didn't give us enough reasons to care. The idea to do a bunch of single-episode kiddie mysteries, with little to no adults involved, wasn't very good in conception, as mysteries in general are supposed to be enthralling and mostly dramatic. I'm not against putting kids in mysteries at all, but if the writers expect me to be interested, they must enthrall me, the way The Case of the Secret Room, The Mysterious Stranger, and The Perfect Witness did. Emily's role in these is to help other people solve a problem, and satisfy her own curiosity. This is fine, but it leaves no possibility for her character development. When she's just playing detective, asking other people questions, and watch other people learn things and change, she cannot really be considered the main character. This is why I firmly believe that Barret is in fact the main character of both Game For a Mystery and Stage Fright, and it's also why we need episodes like Emily, the Genius: so Miss Jones can actually develop. I have not been impressed with a single J & P DA episode.

So overall, my opinion of Emily is that she's a good character at heart: a good character who deserves to be used, but that she's been put in all the wrong roles in all the wrong episodes. I do not by any means think she should be kicked off the show, or that she stinks as a character, but I do think her episodes should change, so I am not in agreement with PF as far as the Emily RULES!
message. So maybe I should quit ESK and join TS's club...

*whew* I do believe that was the longest post I ever contributed to this board. It felt good to write it, and I feel it's the 1st time in my time on this board I've posted an argument that even half made sense. I'm curious to see what Emily lovers will think of it, however...
Last edited by ArnoldtheRubberDucky on Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Arnold, Knight of the Order of Augustine, Debate Vampire
Mr. Yorp wrote:You don't need a degree to shovel manure.
Suzy Lou Foolish
Peanut Butter Cup

Wow! That was really heartfelt, Mr. Thinker! What a post to come back too. While I didn't agree with everything, you made some good points- I really liked what you said about needing more episodes like "Emily The Genius". You're correct. It gives us a deeper look at her. We need to see more of a thoughtful, striving, developing young girl... aside from this childish, flightly, detective-wannabe child. Developement in the charcters in certainly something AiO needs to make sure the carry on, otherwise we end up with dry characters such as Connie is turning into. While I adore Emily- she DOES need something more. We can't just have her running around solving "cases" and arguing with Matthew, showing up here and there for fill in time. That'll get old really quick.

Ouch. I can't believe I said all of that. I'll probably be stoned by all the E.R.Kers.
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

Suzy Lou Foolish wrote:Ouch. I can't believe I said all of that. I'll probably be stoned by all the E.R.Kers.
SUUUUUUUE!

You should come join the Anti-ERKers! :D

We'll protect you in our castle and we still allow wearing of fashionable tutus. :)

(Good to see you're back!)
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~
Metal15
Peanut Butter Cup

I second what GG said! :D And third and fourth it, just because I CAAAAN. :twisted:
I'm the leader of the KRE, the group dedicated to countering ERK the Emily-centered cult. Join either team, you'll have a blast.

My Youtube channel --> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa8Nt7 ... ILthNNlUww

Feminism is cray.

FREEDOM!!!

Music FB page: https://www.facebook.com/louismusicdefinitelyofficial/
Suzy Lou Foolish
Peanut Butter Cup

Ehh- OH MY WORDDY! WHAT IN THE TARNATION HAPPENED TO YOU, GG?! T.S!!! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO HER?!?!
This. Is. An. Outrage.
And no thank you, dear, but I'm comfortable where I've been for the past year, and shall remain there...AND CONTINUE MY CONVERTING OF EMILY HATERS! Why does everything happen when I'm gone?? GG? An Emily protester? *shakes head*

Only if I can wear skinny jeans under my tutu's, Metal. BAHAHA! Just kidding.
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

Suzy Lou Foolish wrote:Ehh- OH MY WORDDY! WHAT IN THE TARNATION HAPPENED TO YOU, GG?! T.S!!! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO HER?!?!
This. Is. An. Outrage.
And no thank you, dear, but I'm comfortable where I've been for the past year, and shall remain there...AND CONTINUE MY CONVERTING OF EMILY HATERS! Why does everything happen when I'm gone?? GG? An Emily protester? *shakes head*
He helped me see the light!
And now the fog is lifted!

Erm..well yes. I've realized at long last that the ERK is an EVIL BRAINWASHING SCAM!

COME FREE FROM ITS EVIL!
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~
Metal15
Peanut Butter Cup

Suzy Lou Foolish wrote: Only if I can wear skinny jeans under my tutu's, Metal. BAHAHA! Just kidding.
Heyyy, I'm cool with that... :D
I'm the leader of the KRE, the group dedicated to countering ERK the Emily-centered cult. Join either team, you'll have a blast.

My Youtube channel --> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa8Nt7 ... ILthNNlUww

Feminism is cray.

FREEDOM!!!

Music FB page: https://www.facebook.com/louismusicdefinitelyofficial/
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Suzy, my sweetest. Lovely thoughts, as ever, and please try to keep posting once in a while. I miss youuu.

Mr. Thinker, it’s a pity this reply is so late, but also good. Your statements required a lot of consideration. That was an amazingly crafted post, and thank you for the challenge.
Emily’s romance with Buck only please people with certain tastes. Emily is a character of strong emotions. She doesn’t have feelings, shje has powerful motivations that lead to obvious actions and reactions. Emily is subtle, but only in that you have to look beyond her lack of subtlety in only to see it. Her emotions are very in your face. When Lucy falls for Richard, all that happens is she hangs out with him. And that only happens because Richard insists on it, he wants information from her. She never really speaks about her romantic feelings, nor do they ever take center screen.
When Emily likes Buck, it’s an end in itself. Many find it entertaining. It’s a classic cartoon love, because of Emily’s complete lack of self restraint. She giggles, she calls Buck a gentleman when he holds her hand, she tells him she’d “remember” if she saw him before.
When Emily falls, she falls hard.
Is this bad? No. She just isn’t Lucy. She is Margaret (Much Ado About Nothing) not Juliet.
You state Emily’s cases don’t challenge her character. As she is never brought out of her comfort zone, she has no chance to grow.
This argument has only one fault.
You are absolutely correct.
Her mystery episodes offer little to no chance for growth, just as The Boxcar Children, Cam Jansen, and Encyclopedia Brown never do. The mystery takes center stage. Not the character’s evolving through life. So, Encyclopedia never faces a case he can’t solve or meets someone smarter than he, Sally never meets a baddy she can’t beat up, Henry Jessie Violet and Benny never say even one impolite word, and Cam Jansen never has a problem with her memory… get the picture? Children’s mystery franchises are a very different ballgame than your standard Odyssey. The rules are new, and you might not like the game, but it has a lot of fans.
And every mystery franchise is very different, because mysteries, being reliant on fooling the mind and holding you in suspense in certain ways, are highly psychological. So someone who loves Encyclopedia might be bored to death with the fluffier and less compact Boxcar Children.
Also, even in Odyssey as a general rule, characters don’t always evolve. Think: did Jared ever really change? Did Rodney ever truly learn anything? Did Sarah ever give up her sarcasm? A character can be stagnant and still be fun.
You see, Odyssey is a series, not a novel. In a novel, we expect the characters to transform before our eyes. By the end, they are nothing like the beginning. Mary Lenox goes from a grouch to the charming savior of her uncle and cousin, Juliet goes from passive to the ultimate and deadliest act of rebellion, Frodo may seem unassuming and average, but there’s a hero inside that slowly, so slowly, grows.
But is this true of I Love Lucy? You enjoy it, but does Lucy transform much for season to season, or is she mostly the same? Yet, you say, you care about her.
And that is the measure of a character.
Can we latch onto them. Can we suffer with them. Can we care about them.
And people can, can, can care about Emily.
That we’ve seen. Beyond a doubt.
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

*Realizes with a start that PF's post about Emily made her love Emily for a second*

*quickly ignores the feeling and goes off to drink some more smoothies*
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

Pound Foolish wrote:Suzy, my sweetest. Lovely thoughts, as ever, and please try to keep posting once in a while. I miss youuu.

Mr. Thinker, it’s a pity this reply is so late, but also good. Your statements required a lot of consideration. That was an amazingly crafted post, and thank you for the challenge.
Emily’s romance with Buck only please people with certain tastes. Emily is a character of strong emotions. She doesn’t have feelings, shje has powerful motivations that lead to obvious actions and reactions. Emily is subtle, but only in that you have to look beyond her lack of subtlety in only to see it. Her emotions are very in your face. When Lucy falls for Richard, all that happens is she hangs out with him. And that only happens because Richard insists on it, he wants information from her. She never really speaks about her romantic feelings, nor do they ever take center screen.
When Emily likes Buck, it’s an end in itself. Many find it entertaining. It’s a classic cartoon love, because of Emily’s complete lack of self restraint. She giggles, she calls Buck a gentleman when he holds her hand, she tells him she’d “remember” if she saw him before.
When Emily falls, she falls hard.
Is this bad? No. She just isn’t Lucy. She is Margaret (Much Ado About Nothing) not Juliet.
You state Emily’s cases don’t challenge her character. As she is never brought out of her comfort zone, she has no chance to grow.
This argument has only one fault.
You are absolutely correct.
Her mystery episodes offer little to no chance for growth, just as The Boxcar Children, Cam Jansen, and Encyclopedia Brown never do. The mystery takes center stage. Not the character’s evolving through life. So, Encyclopedia never faces a case he can’t solve or meets someone smarter than he, Sally never meets a baddy she can’t beat up, Henry Jessie Violet and Benny never say even one impolite word, and Cam Jansen never has a problem with her memory… get the picture? Children’s mystery franchises are a very different ballgame than your standard Odyssey. The rules are new, and you might not like the game, but it has a lot of fans.
And every mystery franchise is very different, because mysteries, being reliant on fooling the mind and holding you in suspense in certain ways, are highly psychological. So someone who loves Encyclopedia might be bored to death with the fluffier and less compact Boxcar Children.
Also, even in Odyssey as a general rule, characters don’t always evolve. Think: did Jared ever really change? Did Rodney ever truly learn anything? Did Sarah ever give up her sarcasm? A character can be stagnant and still be fun.
You see, Odyssey is a series, not a novel. In a novel, we expect the characters to transform before our eyes. By the end, they are nothing like the beginning. Mary Lenox goes from a grouch to the charming savior of her uncle and cousin, Juliet goes from passive to the ultimate and deadliest act of rebellion, Frodo may seem unassuming and average, but there’s a hero inside that slowly, so slowly, grows.
But is this true of I Love Lucy? You enjoy it, but does Lucy transform much for season to season, or is she mostly the same? Yet, you say, you care about her.
And people can, can, can care about Emily.
That we’ve seen. Beyond a doubt.
Okay. Perhaps my argument about the Jones & Parker Detective Agency had a couple flaws. As you said, certain characters don't have to change all that much in a series like AIO. But, I'm sure you would agree with me when I say a character as complex as Emily deserves better than constant kiddie mysteries that do nothing to showcase her complexity or her true personality. It's like watching a celebrity doing an interview with the press: the celebrity is trying to act perfect during the interview because they know if they mess up, the press will make a meal of it. The celebrity makes no mistakes, instead saying whatever he thinks people want him to say. We get little to no glimpse of his true personality: his emotions, his true opinions, and his imperfections are all hidden until he steps out from the cameras, out of the reach of the press. It's the same with Emily in her Detective Agency episodes. She puts on a smile and a detective look, asking people questions and gathering clues, but we can't see what she's actually like until she leaves the crime scene, and has normal conversations with her friends. But it would seem that with Emily, there's no such thing as a normal conversation. That's what I'd like to see: Emily finally changes out of her detective suit and shows us all her emotions, complexity, and imperfections. That's what "Emily, the Genius" did, and I'd like to see it happen again. Screw Jones & Parker! I want the real Emily!

I would reply to your statements about Buck & Emily, but I'm afraid I don't quite understand your argument, so I can't at the present.

But anyways, good post my friend. Quite long, just as my last one. But this time, I decided to make a shorter one, just for funsies. If you still disagree with me, please reply.
Sir Arnold, Knight of the Order of Augustine, Debate Vampire
Mr. Yorp wrote:You don't need a degree to shovel manure.
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

I think Emily is OK. I listened to Stage Fright, and she was hilarious!
101 Reasons why Emily is OK.
101 Reasons why Emily is NOT OK.
Why not submit?
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

Pound Foolish wrote:So, Encyclopedia never faces a case he can’t solve or meets someone smarter than he, Sally never meets a baddy she can’t beat up, Henry Jessie Violet and Benny never say even one impolite word, and Cam Jansen never has a problem with her memory… get the picture?
But that's what makes them only enjoyable for children. Odyssey isn't like that. Odyssey is meant to be something that kids can enjoy, but that adults can as well. And adults want to see a character be challenged a bit. The point of Odyssey is to be slice-of-life, yes, but the characters are really memorable for how they grow.

Part of the reason why we love, say, Connie and Eugene so much is because of how they've grown, both in their relationship with each other and as individuals. Is Eugene still nerdy, neurotic, and clumsy when it comes to feelings? Yes, but he's also grown out of his obnoxious intellectual snobbery and his proclivity for showing off ("Tales of a Small-Town Thug" was an entire episode centered around Eugene's desire to gravitate away from this characterization). Does he still have those traits? To an extent, yes, but it's clear that he wants to overcome them. Is Connie still emotional, a bit naïve, and snarky? Yes, but she's become more aware of how to handle emotional moments maturely, and she's grown out of her rebellious phase from when we first met her. Eugene and Connie's relationship has also evolved; they went from being constantly at each other's throats to a sibling-like care for each other, and did we all lose our heads completely? No, we loved seeing how much they've grown together. A character can develop without their personalities taking a complete 180; there are some things that you don't have to lose and indeed won't lose in order to be a well-developed character.

Think about it—what episodes do we remember receiving the best? Shows like "Something Blue", "To Mend Or Repair", "The Chosen One", "The Time Has Come", "The Mortal Coil", "A New Era", "Life, In the Third Person", and "The Right Choice". We don't tend to remember "The Benefit of the Doubt", "Fences", "And That's the Truth", "Do, For A Change", "The Marriage Feast", "For the Birds", or "Chain Reaction". These are not necessarily bad episodes, but do we really remember them all that well? No, but we remember that first list. Because the episodes on that first list did something to really challenge the characters, force them out of their comfort zone, and make them learn something. These are the characters we love, and we love them because their dramatic episodes make their slice-of-life shows all the more enjoyable.
Pound Foolish wrote:But is this true of I Love Lucy? You enjoy it, but does Lucy transform much for season to season, or is she mostly the same? Yet, you say, you care about her.
Be honest—do people really remember I Love Lucy because of the actual character of Lucy, other than the way Lucille Ball portrayed her? No, it was the comedy and the screwball situations in which she found herself that made audiences like the show. No one really talks about Lucy's amazing character; we talk about the candy-on-the-conveyer-belt scene or one of Lucy's snappy lines. All the show needed was a likeable protagonist; beyond that, the show was just meant to be a funny show.

AIO, on the other hand, is not a sitcom, and the rules are therefore different. It's a series, yes, but it's a series that wants us to latch onto those characters and suffer with them. It's the sufferings, in fact, that make us like them so much, because we want to see how they'll handle it and what they'll look like when they come out of it. We want to see child characters come back because we want to see how they've grown up, because we saw them go through so much as kids and we want, in a conscious or unconscious way, to know what they're doing as adults—we didn't want to see the Barclays come back because they did the same things over and over again and never changed; we wanted to see them again because they did different things in unique ways and were dynamic characters. We loved seeing Eugene's relationship with Katrina and its hurdles not because the story in and of itself entertained us, but because we loved seeing how far those characters came.

AIO is about real-world issues, and as such we want to see our characters get challenged at the things they love to do. It's not like an artist never gets challenged by artist's block or an actor get upstaged; it only stands to reason that a detective get challenged at their mystery-solving. It gets very stale to see a character do everything perfectly and they're always right. We want to see Emily in her element when she doesn't know everything and doesn't have all the right answers.
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love