Eugene and Connie: Whit's End Employees

Do you think Matthew is a great character? Absolutely hate Emily? This is the place to discuss AIO characters, from the old to the new!
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Eugene and Connie: Whit's End Employees

Image Would we have become Odyssey fans if Connie and Eugene were not the central characters of the show? It's very possible not. It's hard to think of AIO without them. Alongside Whit, they're the face of AIO, occupying the cartoons, the CD covers, oh, and my laptop wallpaper. Yet... we don't have a character discussion on them. Yet. So, here we go.
Besides these two Whit's End staples, there's been a few who have come and gone. Aubrey Shepherd. She grew into a lovely person, and having her work at Whit's End for a short time brings one enjoyment. Bart. Oh yes, let's not forget that! Pity it was only for one episode... never mind, that's good thing. Let's not forget Jason! Simply fantastic. And Jack. Loveable, kind, patient, soft and so full of God.
And NICK MULLIGAN. He stuck around for quite a while, and at first, I dared to hope he wasn't ever going to leave. I still miss him. I delighted in his warm blooded skirt chasing. He was the only character who had running romantic feelings recurring in his appearances, but not for the sake of romance. Among Connie and Mitch's awkward dates and subtle flirting, Katrina and Eugene's rocky, bumpy love story, Whit and Jenny's deep, deep, deep love that warms the listener, Nick ran from Whit's End to meet a, "really knock-out-gorgeous tour guide", judged a Young Miss Odyssey Contest, etc. He brought to the table a side of guys AIO had before tip-toed around. He brought his own extra bit of special fun to Whit's End, just as Eugene and Connie do. With him around, a cute girl could walk into Whit's End, and things we never thought we'd see happen there were just plain destined to start right away. And, yes, I found him, er, somewhat relate-able.
Eugene. Let's admit it for a moment, shall we, that... he's a stereotype. A complete and total one. From his frame, bursting with all the muscularity of a Bratz doll, to his inability to grow more than three facial hairs, to his glasses, to his intellect, to his... well, everything about him. He may as well have been cut out from forgotten weak cartoon show. On the other hand, we like him. He's funny, has a wonderful heart, and we are used to the sound of his voice and twanging ukelele. We know he's more complex than any other stereotype. There's something amazing about the complexity and fun they've brought out of this character. He came to be a nutty wiz-kid and befuddle those around him, and stayed to be a close companion to Connie, a loyal worker to Whit, and a friend to generations of Whit's End children.
Then there's... Connie. Ah yes, that amazing girl. We all love her, don't we? I think we can all agree she's nothing short of incre.... well, maybe not. I am being more and more amazed by we SS members' ability to disagree on anything and everything. But, hopefully, MOST of can agree on this. I am part of the Connie is Awesome.com* For more information contact 432 ConnieComes2Town. I have never been (insert a certain horrible word used by people who keep complaining about AIO) by her. She recently won the title of best character ever on Creative Thinker 101 (also called Alex) blog. (In a typically excellent article well worth reading, by the way.)One must agree she deserves her new title, though Whit, Emily, Liz, Jared, Tom, and Bernard all kick and scream for that honor. Every moment with her shines. Even when her voice reaches notes worthy of an opera singer during her fits of immaturity, she's the best. We understand her when she is upset and freaking out, we listen when she has something to say. She entertains. She warms the heart. She's real. Perhaps that last one is the most important. She's real to us. Believe me, somewhere, sometime, there is, has been, or will, be, someone a lot like her. She's that much like a real person. She seems to really and truly have a heart. Her stories carry the power to impact us.
But... what are YOUR thoughts? Do you think Connie can be (unmentionable word.) Do you think Eugene really isn't that great? Do you find Nick too silly? Do you think Eugene is, in fact, better than Connie? As I like to say, let's talk it up!
"Hi, Whit, sorry I'm late."
"Aah-oh! You scared me!"
"I love you, Whit."
*This company is not responsible for any heated Connie debates that may start. Or Emily debates.
Last edited by Pound Foolish on Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:32 pm, edited 5 times in total.
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
Stella C.
Peach Cobbler

I really like this post Pound Foolish (or dare I say PF)! I've grown up with Connie, and I think she is so cool! I really like her in the older episodes, because I am the same age as her... then, and I can relate to a few things that have happened to her. I feel like I personally know her and she is a dear friend. I've cried when she cried, and I have laughed when she laughed. I have learned so much from her, especially when she had a boyfriend and when she was soul-searching. I, personally don't find her (censored). ;) I think she is one of the best things that have happened to Odyssey.
I thought Nick Mulligan was an interesting addition. From his 10W40 garage band and, yes "the knock-out beautiful tour guide," I think he is..... what's the word I'm looking for...... amazingly cool. I love the Mulligan family and their adventures, and Nick was no exception. He always brought a bunch of laughs, with his attempts at "whoo-ing" a girl. He may, at times, be immature, but aren't we all at one point or another?
And Eugene.. the college student and recognized genius. I don't know what Odyssey would be like without this prodigy. I would probably have less words in my vocabulary...... I love listening to his adventures! From non-valedictorian, to learning how to drive, to a electrocuting cash register, he is an Odyssey regular that we couldn't do without!
Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring. -Proverbs 27:1
Sam: Up on our mountain, where the muffins stink, the boys aren't, and we play music all day long.. xD
Stella: Sounds AWESOME!
Wretched Sinner
Lemon Meringue

I love Eugene and Connie. And Connie can sometimes be.......ANNOYING. I said it!! There.
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Ghana4God, I think that's the longest post I've seen you make, and I enjoyed it! And thank you for your kind compliments. You may SAY PF, but my screen name is... POUND FOOLISH! POUND FOOLISH! OKAY, PEOPLE!?
Wooton, I already addressed that some think Connie is sometimes.... well, what you (grrr) said. So, if you really wish to bring something new into this conversation, please state your reasons for sometimes finding Connie you-know-what. I would like to hear them! Perhaps you have some good reasons I have not thought of.
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
Wretched Sinner
Lemon Meringue

Well, I found Connie to be much more annoying in the early episodes. In Stormy Weather she is super annoying. For half the episode she is screaming "I HATE ODYSSEY!"
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Very well. In that case, I respect your opinion. I must object, however, we were given many reasons why Connie felt that way. Her situation shoved her beneath a great deal of emotional pressure.
Stella C.
Peach Cobbler

Thank you PF! When I write long posts, they tend to make me paranoid. Why- I have no clue. :) And, if I were in Connie's situation, I probably would've yelled the same thing.Tornadoes scare me.....
Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring. -Proverbs 27:1
Sam: Up on our mountain, where the muffins stink, the boys aren't, and we play music all day long.. xD
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

Love the topic, PF! (I refuse to call you Pound Foolish, as it is inconvinient!) I believe that all Whits End employees have grown and become more interesting characters when they worked there, with the exception of Aubrey, because she only worked there for one episode. Before he started working at Whits End, Nick could be (censored). But I've warmed up to him now, and I liked him so much I decided to put him in AIC. Eugene has always been a fan favorite, and he will continue to be in days to come, but I'm afraid he's not, in my opinion, as good a character as Connie. (Nathan Hoobler would disagree.) If you want my thoughts on Connie, check out the latest feature, the one PF mentioned.
Sir Arnold, Knight of the Order of Augustine, Debate Vampire
Mr. Yorp wrote:You don't need a degree to shovel manure.
Rosy
Cookie Dough

I love all three of them, and don't think any of them every get (I won't say it). Connie ties for my favorite character with Jason. She is amazing, and I liked her from the very beginning. After the hiatus, though, I found that they didn't use he as often, and that disappointed my a little, after all, she is one of the main characters.
꿈. 희망. 전진.
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Yes, Connie is slowly slipping into something like irrelevance. This, in AIO context, amounts to a tragedy. I can only hope she will be more central in the new season. I read on the comments on an Official AIO Podcast that claimed it would've been good if Connie got with Mitch because she's become stagnant. While I'm not so sure about such an extremity, one wonders if the commenter had a point... Connie sometimes laments about being nothing but a counter girl who's not going anyplace. I hope it's not starting to become true. That would be awful.
Suzy Lou Foolish
Peanut Butter Cup

This is a fabulous topic, Pound Foolish! Sorry it took me forever to get around to reading it. You write extremely long comments, by the way...but that's okay, because you keep things interesting.:D
Anyhoo... I'm in quite agreement with you on Nick. He was such an unusual character, oh-so hilarious and such a ladies man. (perhaps 'wannabee ladies man' would suit better) I still don't understand why he had to leave and my heart is still broken over the fact. If I knew him in real life, he'd probably drive me up the wall- but as an Odyssey character, I just loved him!
Gosh, where do I even began with Connie? She has always been one of my favorite characters, like Ghana4God said, she feels like a friend to me. if she ever left Odyssey my life would never be the same. I was so disappointed over the fact that she and Mitch didn't get married, but then I got to thinking, it'd be so different with her married...and while I still do wish she would have- I'm satisfied with keeping her just the way she is for now, at least, for a while anyways. Wooton, she is not a******g, by the way!=P
And Eugene...he's, well, Eugene. (Okay, that didn't make much sense, did it?) Anyways, he makes a perfect balance in Odyssey. From his large vocabulary and amazing amount brain knowledge, to his absolute lack of intelligence in what seem to be the simplest of things- he will always be dear to me.

Wow, Suzy just wrote quite the long comment! Jeremiah must be a bad influence on her.=P
Wretched Sinner
Lemon Meringue

I'm not saying that she's annoying all the time, but she's sometimes annoying.
Stella C.
Peach Cobbler

[quote/]Wow, Suzy just wrote quite the long comment! Jeremiah must be a bad influence on her.=P[/quote]

I think he is, actually! Just look at my other comment on this topic ;) I agree though, Connie would change if she married Mitch (However I was VERY disappointed when she didn't, and I still pray maybe one day......). And that there will come a time when we all must admit, she has to grow up, all though the Odyssey crew seems to be trying to avoid it. She's matured so much since #4 (was it?) it would almost be a waste if she were never to find that special somebody and officially "grow up". Although, for now, she is perfect just the way she is, and I shall always adore her!!
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Daggum well said, Suzy, darling! Hmmm... is it just me, or are we calling each other "dear" and such names constantly? Do you do that with EVERYBODY? It's a good thing we aren't having these conversations in real life. If we kept calling each other "dear" and "darling" that would get....
Did I say daggum? Now who's a bad influence on who!?
And agreed, Ghana. Oh, and did you notice: that post was much longer than your average posts as well. ;) I was terribly disappointed at the end of the Something part two. I even said aloud "I'm depressed." To which one of my brothers nicely replied "You take this show wayyyy too seriously." Aren't brothers wonderful, Suzy? But, sadly, Connie and Mitch really aren't made for one another. And, yes, as much as I am discontented with Connie being pushed to the side a bit, I would hate to see her grow up. But I agree, sometime, she has to, a little. After all, as we listen to the shows, we watch her grow. It's an odd relationship we have with Connie. On the one hand, she's our mentor who we look up to. On the other... she's a young, immature girl who makes us sad because she keeps growing up... almost (yes, I realize this is a weird thought) like a daughter.

-- Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:55 pm --

ps, thank you for not calling me PF, Suz!
Suzy Lou Foolish
Peanut Butter Cup

What? You think people may began assuming we are an old married couple or something? Bahaha! Just kidding. I don't call everybody that, but I do call me bestie "Dear". at first she thought it was weird, but now every time I call her she answers by saying, "Hello my dearest!"
I had a similar experience at the end of listening to Something New...at the end I buried my face in a pillow and was like "Oh my gosh, noooo!" And my older brother started laughing at me! :o It is, like you said, a rather odd relationship we have with Connie...I just can't decide how I want it all to end up with her. I'm glad I don't have to make that decision, I just hope the AIO writers do a good job with the future of her character.

Oh, and your welcome PF--er uh, Pound Foolish.
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

That's very interesting, my dearest. Don't you find comfort in the thought you won't always be living in the same house with your brothers? ;) Well, as far as Connie's complicatedness (no, I didn't make up that word) just goes to show, Mr. Thinker, that complexity ISN'T a bad thing! ;) However, I'm really not sure how I want Connie to end up either... I just don't know. It's like looking at a book you love and knowing there are few aggravating plot-holes in it, but not knowing how you'd fix them because you like the book so much as it is.
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

Yes. Connie is stagnant. It bothers me, because she was such a valuable character for years, and now she is next to useless. I feel as if I don't know her anymore. She needs some drastic action her life. Maybe she could be carried off by a tornado into Hati and become a missionary. Maybe she could get a true career, and work somewhere else. She can't remain behind the counter forever.
"Happy Birthday to Hot Leaf Water Ess!" - Belle
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Thank you for commenting, T.S. I always feel it completes my topics when you make one of your model comments on em. I'd agree entirely, unusual as that is when it comes to you. Although, she's so fun, her stalemated motionlessness doesn't bother me personally as much as it could. I would say AIO needs to shake her up bit, though. On the other hand, on a more positive note, though I have quite the love/hate relationship with Something, she did handle losing Mitch much more resignedly than she would have before. There wasn't any high-pitched squealing. Though she went through a great deal of understandable, unavoidable turmoil, Connie sat back and tried to understand it all. That's a new Connie.
Stella C.
Peach Cobbler

As I listened to the end of Something part 2, one of my brothers was standing beside me, and I purposely slammed my head into the desk, (not that heard tho) yelling, NOOOOOOO!. My brother was no help since he laughed the whole time. :roll: Suzy, I think our brothers must know each other somehow....... However, I didn't like the way Something ended. I mean, It took years for Connie and Mitch's relationship to develop, and it seems they (the producers) threw it out the window..... just like that. :| It was very depressing. It ruined my whole day..... Well, that's my opinion, and do you know how long it took to write that? ;) And T.S. I agree with you completely about Connie's career!
Suzy Lou Foolish
Peanut Butter Cup

Ghana4God wrote:As I listened to the end of Something part 2, one of my brothers was standing beside me, and I purposely slammed my head into the desk, (not that heard tho) yelling, NOOOOOOO!. My brother was no help since he laughed the whole time. :roll: Suzy, I think our brothers must know each other somehow....... However, I didn't like the way Something ended. I mean, It took years for Connie and Mitch's relationship to develop, and it seems they (the producers) threw it out the window..... just like that. :| It was very depressing. It ruined my whole day..... Well, that's my opinion, and do you know how long it took to write that? ;) And T.S. I agree with you completely about Connie's career!
Oh my, it appears we all have some pretty evil brothers. Oh, and I totallyyy agree with what you said about the end of the episode, Ghana. I'm still wondering WHY! Why must there have even been this whole relationship between Connie and Mitch just to have this unsettling ending. *sighs* Its, indeed, very depressing...