What if one of the main AIO characters died?

Do you think Matthew is a great character? Absolutely hate Emily? This is the place to discuss AIO characters, from the old to the new!
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

“But Belle,” you think, “There have already been countless topics about Whit dying, and he’s the mainest character I know of!”

Yes. This is true. But I don’t mean Whit. I mean Connie or Eugene.

Or Eugene specifically.

You may remember the AIO art that first appeared in a clubhouse magazine, featuring Gary Locke’s take on the famous Beatles’ Abbey Road picture.

I couldn’t find the original, but here is that same image made into a meme by bookworm:

I have this actual image as a poster from the official AIO store, and it’s hanging on my wall.

As I was laying in my bed, looking at it, I was struck with a thought.

See, there was a whole conspiracy going around about the original Beatles’ poster, because Paul McCartney is barefoot. The conspiracy theorists believe that the poster was a funeral procession, and he was dead, because he was barefoot and that’s how people are buried.

Now look back at the AIO picture. Who is barefoot? That’s right. Eugene.

So what would happen if Eugene died?

Personally, I think it would take the show in a whole different direction. If Whit died, it could be chalked up to the fact that he is old, but if Eugene or Connie died, the other one, plus all their friends, would deal with pretty severe grief, especially since they are both so young.

Do you think AIO would ever make a move like this? Discuss.

(Source material from this spoilerly article about Doctor Who:)
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~
AIOrocks101
Strawberry

I've heard about the Abbey Road theory before, and it's absolutely ridiculous. Do know why Paul McCartney is barefoot? He probably said "Hey I wanna be barefoot in this picture." And so they took the picture with him barefoot. That album came out almost fifty years ago, and guess what? Paul McCartney is still alive. When you see barefoot people in real life do you think "Oh my gosh, he's dead!" ? :lol: I don't think Eugene will ever die on the show, but if he does, it won't be because he's barefoot in an Abbey Road parody. Also, I think Eugene looks terrible in that poster.
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

AIOrocks101 wrote:I've heard about the Abbey Road theory before, and it's absolutely ridiculous. Do know why Paul McCartney is barefoot? He probably said "Hey I wanna be barefoot in this picture." And so they took the picture with him barefoot. That album came out almost fifty years ago, and guess what? Paul McCartney is still alive. When you see barefoot people in real life do you think "Oh my gosh, he's dead!" ? :lol: I don't think Eugene will ever die on the show, but if he does, it won't be because he's barefoot in an Abbey Road parody. Also, I think Eugene looks terrible in that poster.
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

I can totally see where you are coming from. If Eugene died, it would damage the show in a severe way, or at least, for all the listeners who have been listening to the entire show. This would be different than Whit. With Whit, we get a new voice, and somehow make do. I don't know if a new voice could ever work for Eugene. :?
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~
AKA Countess Concordia of the Chat, Regalia, and the Queen of Sarcasm

I am a personal quirk. --Adrian Dreamwalker
The Old Judge
Mint Chocolate Chip

Belle wrote:So what would happen if Eugene died?

Personally, I think it would take the show in a whole different direction. If Whit died, it could be chalked up to the fact that he is old, but if Eugene or Connie died, the other one, plus all their friends, would deal with pretty severe grief, especially since they are both so young.
What age can we pin on Eugene? We hypothesize Connie's age during discussions on Odyssey Time and whatever else, but what about Eugene? I would say he's around 30. To give it a little elbow room, let's suppose that his age is somewhere in the 28-32 range. Now let me get personal:

On October 20, our world changed. The machinery, the inner workings of our lives, ground to a halt. I was at a program for the Christian school that our church operates, when our pastor walked in and gave us a sobering announcement: The brother of the church music director/principal/assistant pastor passed away suddenly while mountain biking with his wife. I didn't comprehend the feelings of those that had talked about coping with an unforeseen death, but now I do, it's terrible. There really is no grieving, at least not in the situation I partook in. For the first week, things just stopped. You cannot perform a show accurately with someone of that age undergoing an immediate demise. In my mind, it is not an option.

A version of this song, sung by Hank Williams, became quite popular during the 1950s, and can still be heard today. (1942)
Do you think you know music? Guess the hints at the end of each of my posts in A Musical Journey. (The name's a link. You can click it.)
Connie G.
Peach Cobbler

Some years ago, it was said that Eugene had been at college for 7 years, at which at the age of 13 he entered such.
However it's probably been at least 10 years since.
Strength for today, and bright hope for tomorrow.

"Why does Connie shower all of the time?" ~CGM_Games
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Belle wrote:Now look back at the AIO picture. Who is barefoot? That’s right. Eugene.
Wow. Now that is weird. And scary.

It could be Gary Locke was enjoying a subtle, black in-joke. Or that he wanted an Easter egg-nod to the original. Obviously, if he knew some information, it's very doubtful he'd communicate it like that. Or is it? He loves hiding things in his drawings. I know I shouldn't take what you said too seriously but it's what I do.

If a young character died I think it would be too much. I mean, you've read the Official Guide, you know they repeatedly rejected the idea of Whit dying, and Whit's very old. It would be more natural. Also, they just did powerful episodes about death with
Connie's Mom.
I don't think they could top them. If there are more, they're far in the future. Frankly, I don't think they should.

OJ, I see your point and I'm sorry about your experience. I've had a similar one. But I do think they could build an episode around that. It would be difficult to accurately portray, as you say, but not impossible, it's been done. Maybe the best way would be to only have a few scenes with those who lost the character and mostly see it from another character's pov?
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
Connie G.
Peach Cobbler

Pound Foolish wrote: If a young character died I think it would be too much...
What about Karen? (Or was that too much?)
Strength for today, and bright hope for tomorrow.

"Why does Connie shower all of the time?" ~CGM_Games
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

It wasn't. But that was the Obligatory, Why Charlie Brown, Why? cancer episode. She wasn't a pre-established character. She was a perfect angel who writers invented to kill. It was easier to handle.
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
snubs
Cookies & Creme

I picture Eugene being about 27. And Connie being 22 (or a fresh 23 year old) now. Eugene's age is about as 'messed' up as Connie's (Connie's is just more noticeable because they actually mention it). In the episodes where Eugene is looking for his father he says something like the last time he saw him was when he was 7, "20 years ago". Making Eugene 27 at that time. Which for me, I thought was waaayyy too old. I pictured him about 24 during those episodes. So listening I was all like "whaaaaattt!"

But anyway, I don't really care to try and figure out what age the writers make them to be (because I don't think they have an EXACT age).. I just make them the age I imagine them to be. Oh, and speaking of age in Odyssey, I actually loved that they kept Connie about the same age all those years. So no complaining from me! =p

About Eugene (or some other main character) suddenly dying... are you talking about strictly the character? Or the actor dying? If you mean the actor, I think AIO would definitely change... maybe even come to a purposeful end as a whole. And if the actor did pass away (heaven forbid not any time soon), I somehow doubt they would write it into the story. I mean, that would be veryyy deep and totally heartbreaking for fans to hear. It would just make the whole feel of that episode very dark and sad.

BUT, if you mean just making the character die (and the actor is still around), I still doubt they would write that into the story. Because like others have said, touching on the death of someone, not only young, but a well loved character would probably be a little too mature for the targeted age. Plus, everyone listening would likely freak out that the real actor died.

Though it would be an interesting story arc in theory... I hope it never happens. Because, I mean, EUGENE OR CONNIE, YOU CAN'T JUST KILL THEM OFF. D= AND THEY BETTER NOT KILL OFF WHIT EITHER. : x
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
ToO Chatroom | Odyssey Moments | The Town of Odyssey