The Actors of Mr. Whittaker

Do you think Matthew is a great character? Absolutely hate Emily? This is the place to discuss AIO characters, from the old to the new!

Of all the actors who have voiced the character of Whit, who did you like best?

Hal Smith
40%
Paul Herlinger
60%
Andre Stojka
No votes

Total votes: 20

Metal15
Peanut Butter Cup

Hal's my fave, I think he's the best Whit. :)
I'm the leader of the KRE, the group dedicated to countering ERK the Emily-centered cult. Join either team, you'll have a blast.

My Youtube channel --> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa8Nt7 ... ILthNNlUww

Feminism is cray.

FREEDOM!!!

Music FB page: https://www.facebook.com/louismusicdefinitelyofficial/
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

People always knock the "noob" as the poll puts it. First people complained about the Washingtons, but now they aren't new anymore, what do you know, everyone loves them.

It's hard not to see people prefer Hal not because he was the best, but because he happened to be the first. Or the "classic" or the one who "set the role of Whit" as some said. But, if I may make up a metaphor, the apple you pick first isn't necessarily the best. Especially if Glossman contaminates it.

None of the Whits are noticeably better actors, or more genuinely kind sounding, or fit their character better. All of them are selected by the AIO team and are the best we could hope for. Andre plays a gentler Whit, with a genuine sweetness and an occasional distinctive growly drawl to his voice. That's not better or worse than Hal's lively delivery or Paul's, only different. It shows a new side of Whit. All the Whits show a distinctive side of him and do it effectively.
Last edited by Pound Foolish on Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
Helios
Butter Pecan

Personally I prefer Paul simply because he's the toughest of them all. But Hal and Andre both have their strong points. And Andre delivered well in the GRC. He just takes a little getting used to. :D (I will add, however, that I once disliked him so strongly that to call someone "the Stojka Whit" was just about the biggest insult possible. I have since warmed up to him and now like him as well as any of the other Whits, though I'm still miffed at Paul for up and dying) :D
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

Paul. Definitely Paul.

I think PF has a point in saying that none of them are objectively better than the other—their acting is great and their chemistry with their co-actors is wonderful for all three. I think what it comes down to is which actor you grew up with and which era you lean towards. The people who grew up on the older episodes or like those episodes better prefer Hal, the people like me who grew up largely in the Novacom and post-Novacom era or who listen to those episodes most often prefer Paul, and the people who are just experiencing Odyssey or lean more toward the relaunch prefer Andre. So I like Paul's Whit better—not because Hal or Andre have played Whit poorly in comparison, but because I grew up with Paul, I'm most familiar with his Whit, and that's the Whit voice I'll remember the most—especially because I prefer to listen to albums 30-50.
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

Paul Herlinger shows a more serious character. Hal is too goofy and sometimes too angry while Andre - we need to get used to him (he sounds like Bernard :D)
Last edited by John Henry on Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
MilkandEggs
Strawberry

TigerShadow wrote: So I like Paul's Whit better—not because Hal or Andre have played Whit poorly in comparison, but because I grew up with Paul, I'm most familiar with his Whit, and that's the Whit voice I'll remember the most—especially because I prefer to listen to albums 30-50.
Well said, and I prefer listening to those as well, but I also love the volumes in between the two Whits
It’s not about the stand we take, but the grace we give
It’s not about the name we make, but the life we live
Heard about a King who stepped down, took my place
True Love gave His life away
It’s love that lights the way
~Family Force 5
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

Agreed. The Jack-and-Jason era was one of the best.
The Old Judge
Mint Chocolate Chip

TigerShadow wrote:The people who grew up on the older episodes or like those episodes better prefer Hal, the people like me who grew up largely in the Novacom and post-Novacom era or who listen to those episodes most often prefer Paul, and the people who are just experiencing Odyssey or lean more toward the relaunch prefer Andre.
Not to contradict you Tiger, (Would you happen to be TigerintheShadows off the ToO?), but it not so much what era you started listening in, but what era you started listening to. I started listening to AIO in December of 2009, as I have often said, and that was an interim period. But the first four albums were given to me, and I worked up from there. Because I listened to the series from the beginning, I have a special reserved place in my heart for Hal Smith's role, even though I started listening to the series during the interim period between Herlinger and Stojka.
Do you think you know music? Guess the hints at the end of each of my posts in A Musical Journey. (The name's a link. You can click it.)
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

The Old Judge wrote:
TigerShadow wrote:The people who grew up on the older episodes or like those episodes better prefer Hal, the people like me who grew up largely in the Novacom and post-Novacom era or who listen to those episodes most often prefer Paul, and the people who are just experiencing Odyssey or lean more toward the relaunch prefer Andre.
Not to contradict you Tiger, (Would you happen to be TigerintheShadows off the ToO?), but it not so much what era you started listening in, but what era you started listening to. I started listening to AIO in December of 2009, as I have often said, and that was an interim period. But the first four albums were given to me, and I worked up from there. Because I listened to the series from the beginning, I have a special reserved place in my heart for Hal Smith's role, even though I started listening to the series during the interim period between Herlinger and Stojka.
Point taken, though I meant my post more in the general sense of "the era you started listening to first" rather than actual chronology (different wording would have been in order, methinks).

Yes, I am in fact TigerintheShadows, though I took the liberty of choosing a less ungainly username when I joined here. ;)
Mandy
Peach Cobbler

Which is your favorite actor who played Mr. Whittaker? Who do you think did the best job, whose voice do you like best, which actor sounds the most like you think Whit should sound? Just thought it'd be interesting to hear other thoughts on that.

~Lady Mandy Knight of the
Order of Chrysostom in the
Court of the Debate Vampires~

MF: How much do you know about Helios?

Woody: Let's see. I know you survived her
drama, I know she's a danger to
society, I know she's a lie, I know
Belle is unfazed by her wrath, I
know she has ox horns, and I know
I should beware of her.

(And she is also my enemy. :evil: )
Bethany Shepard
Moose Tracks

I like Hal Smith the most. I think Paul Herlinger did a good job, but Hal just had a wise, grandfatherly charm to him. (And I don't like Andre Stojka at all. Go ahead. Judge. :ugeek: )
"I am not a demon. I am a lizard, a shark, a heat-seeking panther.
I want to be Bob Denver on acid playing the accordion."
-Nicolas Cage
Mandy
Peach Cobbler

LOL. :) My judgement is that you are exactly right! At least what you said about Andre Stojka. But I like Paul Herlinger the best. I loved his voice. He just sounded so wise and kind. Hal was awesome too, I loved his laugh! But I still like Paul better. And Andre... he just is NOT whit. His voice is so different and he doesn't sound wise enough to be Mr. Whittaker.

~Lady Mandy Knight of the
Order of Chrysostom in the
Court of the Debate Vampires~

MF: How much do you know about Helios?

Woody: Let's see. I know you survived her
drama, I know she's a danger to
society, I know she's a lie, I know
Belle is unfazed by her wrath, I
know she has ox horns, and I know
I should beware of her.

(And she is also my enemy. :evil: )
Paula
Peach Cobbler

Bethany Shepard wrote:I like Hal Smith the most. I think Paul Herlinger did a good job, but Hal just had a wise, grandfatherly charm to him. (And I don't like Andre Stojka at all. Go ahead. Judge. :ugeek: )
*Judges Bethanna*

But I do agree. Listening to AIO episodes with different actors for Mr. Whittaker is annoying tho...
Example: I listened to the Novacom saga, and then listened to The Ties That Bind...It gets weird when you get used to a certain voice for a certain character and then it changes...Drastically.
Fast & Jelly are at it again. This time they face the evil fast clickers. Can fast be faster? Is Jelly too slow to turn them into jelly? Find out this week on Fast & Jelly! --> Penguin
"update your signature, Paperclip's term ended ages ago" -Swah
Happy now?
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

I like Paul Herlinger the best... but that's probably because I like the time period he covered the best. The children, excepting a few, during the Hal Smith time weren't as interesting as the next set. Although two of my favorite episodes "Suspicious Minds" and "A License to Drive" happened during that time. :) I think Eugene and Connie had a charm about them longer ago that's missing now... maybe cause we didn't know as much about them.
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~
AKA Countess Concordia of the Chat, Regalia, and the Queen of Sarcasm

I am a personal quirk. --Adrian Dreamwalker
Blitz
Moose Tracks

I like Paul Herlinger the best though Hal Smith was the first person I listened to. I think he sounds much more friendly. They do change Whit a bit each time they change his actor I think.
Debate Vampire

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset
Novatom
Raspberry Ripple

Paul Herlinger and Hal Smith were basically the same, but Paul Herlinger was at a time where the episodes were better, so I think that influenced my decision. And Hal Smith has this weird way of saying "Oh" at the beginning of a sentence that kind of annoys me. Andre Stoika's voice is just strange and not Whit.
17:39<Novatom>: I'm in another boat. A boat of people who don't know what everyone's talking about. A boat that is sinking.
17:40<Sameriazx>: oh no... here we go again...
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Novatom wrote: Andre Stoika's voice is just strange and not Whit.
Just strange? Do you also dislike Owl's voice?
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
Novatom
Raspberry Ripple

Pound Foolish wrote:
Novatom wrote: Andre Stoika's voice is just strange and not Whit.
Just strange? Do you also dislike Owl's voice?
His voice isn't like the other Whits. Of course I shouldn't be complaining, because in order for AIO to continue there would have to be Whit, and Andre Stoika is a good actor. He's not bad or anything, he just doesn't compare with the others because his voice is different. And I haven't heard him play owl on Whinnie the Pooh, if that's what you're talking about.
17:39<Novatom>: I'm in another boat. A boat of people who don't know what everyone's talking about. A boat that is sinking.
17:40<Sameriazx>: oh no... here we go again...
The Old Judge
Mint Chocolate Chip

Novatom's comment brings to light something I have pondered for a while now. Andre Stojka has played our beloved Mr. Whittaker for five long years now. Andre has grown on me. I am getting into his style of vocalization, and I truly enjoy it now. Yet many people do not feel this way. Stojka has just a long list of experience and credentials as did the other two. He is more of a successor to Hal Smith than Paul was, taking up the proverbial mantle in several of his other roles. Am I the only one who has developed a fondness for Andre, or are you all just suppressing your feelings?
Do you think you know music? Guess the hints at the end of each of my posts in A Musical Journey. (The name's a link. You can click it.)
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

I don't think anyone is denying the fact that Andre is a very talented actor... that's not the point. The point is that he isn't "Whit" to us. Or rather, a different Whit than what was portrayed before... which for many fans is hard to accept.
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~
AKA Countess Concordia of the Chat, Regalia, and the Queen of Sarcasm

I am a personal quirk. --Adrian Dreamwalker