The Problem With Non Christians in AIO

Do you think Matthew is a great character? Absolutely hate Emily? This is the place to discuss AIO characters, from the old to the new!
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

The Problem With Non Christians in AIO

Why? Really, why do you listen to a show for ages 8-12? Because the characters are good? Other shows have good characters. Because the plotlines are well wrought? Other shows have those too. Because the humor is sharp? Other shows have those too. Because the morals are good? Other shows have that as well. Why listen to them in a kid's show when you can get it in entertainment aimed at your age?

Aio is a good show not only because of it what it is but because of what it isn't. You watch the God's Not Dead movies, or even more passable attempts like Miracles From Heaven, with reactions running from indifference to laughing even as you're disgusted by atheist bashing, sexism, terrible theology or all of the above.

One of the most repulsive tropes of Christian entertainment is the atheist strawman or the nasty non-Christian. The person, whether they're atheist or just non-Christian, is either cruel or uninformed or they are converted. In ways, aio is refreshing because it doesn't show atheists as jerks. But do they actually portray them well?

Connie was allowed to be friendly if flawed but she was a Christian in making. Same with Eugene. We get the impression Wooton's family isn't Christian and they're sheer jerks. (Wouldn't it be interesting if aio finally had a character who was jerk? Seth was hilariously insufferable but not a straight up jerk.) Buck is kind and likable, but needed Christians to set him on the right path. Jules is an atheist, and she's moody and even turns out to have some criminal tendencies. What's more, she comes from a broken home and it's insinuated that had a big hand in her worldview, whereas most atheists come by their philosophy by careful thought, are quite happy, and come from good families.

If somebody isn't Christian in aio, it's a good indicator that they will be, that they will need help from the Christian characters to be good people, or that they will be a straight up villain.

AIO doesn't do a terrible job portraying non-Christians, but they could certainly do better.
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Pound Foolish wrote:Connie was allowed to be friendly if flawed but she was a Christian in making. Same with Eugene. We get the impression Wooton's family isn't Christian and they're sheer jerks. (Wouldn't it be interesting if aio finally had a character who was jerk? Seth was hilariously insufferable but not a straight up jerk.) Buck is kind and likable, but needed Christians to set him on the right path. Jules is an atheist, and she's moody and even turns out to have some criminal tendencies. What's more, she comes from a broken home and it's insinuated that had a big hand in her worldview, whereas most atheists come by their philosophy by careful thought, are quite happy, and come from good families.

If somebody isn't Christian in aio, it's a good indicator that they will be, that they will need help from the Christian characters to be good people, or that they will be a straight up villain.

AIO doesn't do a terrible job portraying non-Christians, but they could certainly do better.
I agree... partially.

Yes, non Christians can be good people without Christians. They were created in Gods images just like any Christian. However there is an aspect to this you are forgetting.

To put it simply: God. We all get messed up. The good in us fades if given the wrong environment for too long. Nothing gets better on its own without input from a source. I believe when it's talking about Jules or Buck, its showing the messed up side of their lives without God, and how God was the one with answers and peace for their lives. Not necessarily Christians. After all, we all know Christians are human. This does not have to be about glorifying the perfect Christians in AIO. The root is God.

And yeah, that made no sense. I apologize for my poor communicaton ablities. :P
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~
AKA Countess Concordia of the Chat, Regalia, and the Queen of Sarcasm

I am a personal quirk. --Adrian Dreamwalker