John Avery Whittaker

Do you think Matthew is a great character? Absolutely hate Emily? This is the place to discuss AIO characters, from the old to the new!
Rosy
Cookie Dough

fodo, I hope you're joking. If not, you'd probably be the first person ever that doesn't like Whit.
꿈. 희망. 전진.
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

I hate Whit! He's a stupid, ugly, lazy bum! :lol: (I realize that will trigger some responses asking what my problem is, but I'm a sarcastic guy, like fodo.)

What makes you guys think Andre isn't a Christian?
Sir Arnold, Knight of the Order of Augustine, Debate Vampire
Mr. Yorp wrote:You don't need a degree to shovel manure.
Rosy
Cookie Dough

*CT101 pulls trigger* *is mobbed my people asking "What is your problem?" and throwing tomatoes*
Now that I'd like to see.
꿈. 희망. 전진.
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

Christian A. holds that belief, and he wouldn't say something like that without being quite sure of it.

Now I can't find where he said that...Oh, wait. Binko!

Edit:

Haha! I found it! He said it during his interview with Old Judge!

In response to his question (which for some reason will not copy over):
Christian A.: Boy, Andre Stojka. I suppose he's grown into the role a little with the 5 albums he's worked on. But he hasn't really grown on me. Eever since I became convinced he isn't a Christian, I've not been able to genuinely like him. I mean, if you're playing Mister Whittaker, you should at least share his faith if you're going to add any heart and soul to the role. But from what I can tell, Andre makes no Christian profession, so I can't get over that, and I don't know if I'll ever like his job as Whit.
"Happy Birthday to Hot Leaf Water Ess!" - Belle
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

But I wonder how he knows...
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

So do I...

Next time he's here we can ask him.
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

I'll look on his Wikipedia page to see if it says anything about that...

It does seem odd however, that he would agree to play the role if he wasn't a Christian. I've heard the Stoijka Whit mention God and Jesus several times. If Christian A. is right and Andre isn't a Christian, I wonder how he feels about the show and the part...

Okay, right after I made this post, I did a search. This is what AIOwiki said Andre said about playing Whit:

What does he think about working with Adventures in Odyssey? "It's nice to be using the gift for Him who gave you the gift."

I'm sorry, but I think Christian A. is just flat-out wrong in this case.
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Yay! I KNEW it! It doesn't matter though, now I come to think of it... because, yeah, Whit's awful. He should be arrested and shot dead. Mr. Thinker, let's make a Whit Stinks Klub! :twisted:
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

He is going to GITS, maybe if I am going I could ask him?
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

Okay...

Either way, I never said it was fully conclusive. But I wonder how Christian came to think that. He must have had a fairly compelling reason to make such a statement.
GabrielleFandomGirl
Fudge Marble

Don't jump 2 conclusions, be causious.
"What-ever."- Pound Foolish

E.R.K.

"Why are you cutting a table with a chainsaw...?"
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

Yeah, it kind of reminds me of those news networks who get the facts wrong and say things that aren't true. I honestly don't think it was wise of him to jump to conclusions that didn't make any sense, but oh well.

I'll make WSK right now PF! :twisted:
GabrielleFandomGirl
Fudge Marble

When Andre Stojka started Whit, He did not have the Mr. Whittaker feel. I mean, I was listening to 'Great Expectations' and My Mom said, " Is that Supposed to be Whit?!" Andre Stojka is A great Guy, But I miss Paul Herlinger. My Mom has listened to Odyssey since she was 15, and she was surprised. We need it out in the open. We miss Paul Herlinger, but of course Nobody but Bren and and Pen were around when Hal smith was Whit, But anywho, Andre sound like PH A lot at some points, but nowhere near the same most of the time. But, I have to say, when he is saying, " I don't know Connie," Or " Eugene, I not sure about that...." He has a knack for making those two sound like wacko's when they really are.

E.R.K.

Aftershocker
Mocha Jamocha

I miss Paul Herlinger too!
^^ Props to Belle ^^
God's little Artist
Caramel Crunch

I think they should have done a slower transition from Herlinger to Stojka, like they did from Hal to Herlinger. The writers made it so that Whit didn't speak in any episodes. This gave them time to find someone who sounded enough like Hal. I don't know why they didn't do that again.
GabrielleFandomGirl
Fudge Marble

Yeah, I'm not trying to be unkind or anything, or sound mean, but I like Smith, and Herlinger. But Mr. Stokja, if you ever read this, you rock!

E.R.K.

Suzy Lou Foolish
Peanut Butter Cup

Eh, I miss the "old" Whit's, at times as well. I used to feel the same way about Andre Stojka as you, Gablerb. But personally, I think Mr. Stojka is doing a rather decent job now. True, his voice isn't wayy similar, but he has that gentle feel and kindness from the past that, especially Hal Smith, in the early days possessed. It might have been nice, like God's Little Artist said, if the team would have made a bit of transition between Stojka and Herlinger...
But...they didn't, and I'm satisfied with it. As long as we have a Mr. Whittaker, and as long as he fulfills that role properly- which I believe our current actor is doing just fine.
GabrielleFandomGirl
Fudge Marble

Yeah, I totally agree, Mr. Stokja does a very admirable job, but he sounds a lot different that our dear Hal and Paul, but he is doing a very good job, better than any other living person can, and he has regained that extra warmth that Hal Smith had.

E.R.K.

Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Since this hot topic keeps coming up and will continue to, here's a list of everything that goes to make a perfect Whit:

1. A genuine kind sound
2. Convincingly bold when in big action scenes
3. Chemistry with Jason
4. Not sounding like he's talking down to the kids (the past Whit's did better with this. Andre sounds a bit too much like he's aware he's talking to younger people. The past Whit's, while warm and kind to children, seemed to take children as seriously as adults. That's the way Whit truly is.
5. His scenes with Connie. (this is especially key. Whit must touch our hearts when he is tender to Connie and capture their father daughter relationship perfectly.)
6. A balance between his sage, tender side and his energetic, inventing, globe-trotting side, keeping both in his voice as necessary
7. Creating a feeling of connection to children
8. Sounding like Whit, of course (Andre's voice isn't practically indistinguishable from his predecessor as Herlinger was to Smith, but it does bear much similarity)
9. Bringing some development and charm of his own to Whit that wasn't there before
10. the most important: a true feeling of realness and Christianity when speaking on Christian matters

Those are the basics. Technically, all Whits so far have embodied them.
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
Aaron Wiley
Pistachio

It's also quite a strain to try to pretend to be someone else the entire time you're acting a character that's supposed to fit your personality. It's much more comfortable to let the role work around your voice rather than trying to work your voice around the role. Andre realizes this, and because of it, simply tries to be himself when he plays Whit, which gives Whit more depth as well (I think, anyway).
"I strive to be an Elephant" - Odyssey Fan Wiley