John Avery Whittaker

Do you think Matthew is a great character? Absolutely hate Emily? This is the place to discuss AIO characters, from the old to the new!
Mara
Pistachio

Why Odyssey would be miserable without Whit:
- Whit's end would not exist and Glossman would have torn down the Filmore Recreation Center
-Whit's End not existing and no Whit means no oppurtinity for Eugene and Connie to work there and be influenced by good Christian people that hepled them come to know Jesus
-There would have been no one to stop Dr. Blackgaard and his evil plans, and Blackgaard's castle would be the popular hangout

Without Whit, Odyssey would still be a boring swamp land. (The Ill Gotten Deed)
Quote Pound Foolish: "Thank you, God, for John Avery Whittaker"
Any more? ( add below)
The Old Judge
Mint Chocolate Chip

So Whit is so amazing and of such importance that his not coming to Odyssey would deter Horace McAlister from building it in the first place, 150-200 years earlier?

@Ameraka: I thought it said that von Warburg had Communist leanings. Thus, if he had successfully deposed Roderick II, Muldavia would have been a Communistic monarchy. (Whether that's mentioned or not, I go by your story when it comes to Muldavian history. Which you should keep writing, by the way. ;) )
Do you think you know music? Guess the hints at the end of each of my posts in A Musical Journey. (The name's a link. You can click it.)
Mara
Pistachio

The Old Judge wrote:So Whit is so amazing and of such importance that his not coming to Odyssey would deter Horace McAlister from building it in the first place, 150-200 years earlier?
Well, I was exaggerating a bit saying that without Whit or Whit's End, Odyssey would exist, but it would be boring and people would describe it as they did when they first came upon the land: swampy
Get what I was trying to say? ;)
Ameraka
Fudge Marble

Some of my favorite episodes that come to mind (I have many-these are the ones that are popping into my head right now) are The Search for Whit and A Mortal Coil. Where the very fate of Whit was in question.

Whit has almost been like a second grandpa to me. He reminded me of my grandpa in some ways (who was also in the Navy during WW2). Though Whit left Odyssey before and there were some good episodes during that period, I hope he doesn't leave or die. Odyssey might be able to go on without him, but it would not be the same.
The Old Judge wrote:
@Ameraka: I thought it said that von Warburg had Communist leanings. Thus, if he had successfully deposed Roderick II, Muldavia would have been a Communistic monarchy. (Whether that's mentioned or not, I go by your story when it comes to Muldavian history. Which you should keep writing, by the way. ;) )
He may have; I can't remember now, though in preparation for writing Quest for Nobility I did listen to the episode like 3 times and wrote notes down. I think it may have been more implied than anything; I assumed that, if Whit was in Muldavia, it would probably be shortly after World War II, which would make sense at a time when communism was on the rise, at the beginning of the Cold War.

-I do intend to finish the story, now that my other series is basically done. I wrote some of the next chapter the other day; hopefully I'll have that finished soon. :)

My book, Justice Lost, is on Amazon Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JM1XFCI
The Old Judge
Mint Chocolate Chip

Didn't it say that James Armor had gone to Muldavia to write a book? If so, that would make perfect sense, since Whit wrote the Universal Encyclopedia sometime after WWII/while his children were young. Or his Muldavia novel could just be one of the many stories collecting dust in the Whit's End library.....

Roderick II does get hurt inAn Act of Nobility while flying a small plane, so it would probably late '40s-early '50s time. If you want to stretch the Imagination Station even farther, his Muldavian research could have been the basis for his National Geographic article before he got drafted.
Do you think you know music? Guess the hints at the end of each of my posts in A Musical Journey. (The name's a link. You can click it.)
Ameraka
Fudge Marble

Yes, he went there to write a book. Did any episodes ever say if he was working for the NSA before he started writing for UPF or after? In any case, research for encyclopedia is a perfect cover for someone also doing research for the government. I wonder if he was working for the NSA during An Act of Nobility. Could James Armor have been an alias???

My book, Justice Lost, is on Amazon Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JM1XFCI
connie13
Chocolate Chip

How many think that whit will marry again?
SirWhit
Banana Fudge

I think you're the only one.
GratiaDei
Cookies & Creme

I would have to agree with Mr. Whit's End. I had not even considered the possibility.
The Old Judge
Mint Chocolate Chip

I'll leave the thousand word address to PF, and make this post short and sweet. Would I consider it weird to see Whit married? No. He was married for 30+ years, probably pushing forty. When you spend that much of your life with someone, it is desperately hard to readjust. Now, I've known older men to get remarried after the death of their spouse, but it has been rare that I've seen such a case.

One thing that makes Whit so special is his backstory. When flashback episodes come, that means glimpses of Jenny. Fans go bonkers over those. He was a good husband, and he and Jenny did get to spend a few of their golden years together before she passed. So it is not that I couldn't see Whit married as an old man, since I have seen that in a few scenes. It is that I could not see him married to another woman.
Helios
Butter Pecan

So much for short and sweet...

I think Whit COULD marry again. But whether the writers will ever have him do so is the real question. Now, if they married Connie off, maybe they'll marry Whit to someone...Mary Hopkins, anyone? :)
SirWhit
Banana Fudge

NO! That character, if you can call her that, only existed for the purposes of distracting Whit. They have no chemistry whatsoever, and Mary Hopkins is as boring as a cardboard cutout.
Last edited by SirWhit on Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Helios
Butter Pecan

She sounds like his late wife! And she wasn't boring. She introduced Barry what'shisname. Ya call that boring???

And serious, what would you know of chemistry? :P
Ashley
Raspberry Ripple

I think he'll end up marrying Lucia Ortaga... xD
Suzy Lou Foolish
Peanut Butter Cup

Honestly, it would hurt my heart to see Whit marry again. Maybe I am selfish, but I'm afraid if he DID take on a wife, his charcter would be a little more distracted with her, than focused on the children and people around Odyssey. Yes, it may be sweet to see Whit happily settled with a wife again, but would it be good for the town of Odyssey? And would we ever find a lady good or suitable enough FOR Whit? So far, I have seen none that fit my liking. But yes, I'm picky. :p
SirWhit
Banana Fudge

Helios wrote:She sounds like his late wife! And she wasn't boring. She introduced Barry what'shisname. Ya call that boring???

And serious, what would you know of chemistry? :P
A lot! It's that stuff that blows up when you mix it with the other stuff!
~Cowgirl Forever~
Chocolate Chip

No . I don't think the writers like that at all!
Anna2401
Vanilla

WHO WOULD WHIT MARRY THOUGH?
-Anna
Anna Henson
The Old Judge
Mint Chocolate Chip

Well, that's one of the issues, Anna. They would have to bring in a new character to the show. Whit is always so careful with relationships that it would be a long drawn-out issue under normal circumstances, as they tried to find out each other's beliefs and what each wanted out of their partnership. But with the only one album coming out a year situation, it would become unbearable and impractical.
jasonANDconnie
Vanilla

I've never thought about Whit getting married again. Who would he marry anyways?