It is currently Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:44 am


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Barrett Jones
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:00 pm 
Mint Chocolate Chip
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 9:18 pm
Posts: 2032
Gender: Male
Barrett is, in my opinion, a vital asset to AIO. He's a talented musician, and performer. We've never heard any body like him which is, as Emily described him, "a lover of the arts". At the beginning, in "Game for a Mystery", and then in "Opposite Day", we sometimes get the idea that he's an obsessed gamer, so it seemed like he was two different people. In Clanging Cymbals, he becomes more than one-dimensional. He was good in the beginning, but he's become so much better. In "The Amazing Loser", I was very touched about Barrett buying shoes for that girl. The writers have done a good job starting with Album 53 and it's still happening, of showing a more human side to the characters. Also, as Barrett and Priscilla get older and mature more, their "crush" could become a more central storyline. But not that Barrett's not mature, he's actually VERY mature compared to some other characters, past and present. What do you think? Comment.

_________________
Do you think you know music? Guess the hints at the end of each of my posts in A Musical Journey. (The name's a link. You can click it.)


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Barrett Jones
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:17 am 
Fudge Marble
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 4:55 pm
Posts: 855
Location: ►On the Lost island running from Rapid Rabbits Rashly Rushing Rapidly at me‼◄
Gender: None specified
Yes, I agree. He is a vital character to the relaunch, and he's different that anybody we have seen on AIO. He not my favorite character, but I enjoy listening to him on the shows.

_________________
862 comments and counting...
ImageLeader of the Quadruple T and Double C Club.

Check out 1 of the S.S.'s most popular topics: Ruin a Wish

Emily's Okay...


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Barrett Jones
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:06 pm 
Pistachio
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 10:38 am
Posts: 1009
Location: Touring Canada and the USA
Gender: Male
I never really liked him that much because he didn't really have any genuinely "funny" qualities, and his personality just seemed to go all over the place depending on what the writers wanted to use him for. Maybe I'm just not used to him yet..

_________________
"I strive to be an Elephant" - Odyssey Fan Wiley


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Barrett Jones
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:15 pm 
Pineapple Whip
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 10:15 pm
Posts: 3581
Location: Michigan
Gender: Male
Barret could use a little more fine-tuning. He is not quite at a steady home yet in that he drifts from extreme to extreme. I think that AiO should get rid of the love interest between him and Priscilla, if they intend to broadcast to mostly 8-12 year olds. In my opinion, they should scrap the idea or address it fully, not let it drift back and forth. I would let it go if AiO would make an episode discussing the details of their relationship, and how it relates to God, but simply letting it run to the writer's whim may have unintended consequences. Other than that, Barret could add a lot to the show. He seems like a person who could add a sense of nobility and chivalry which we haven't fully experienced yet. I look forward to what the future may bring.

T.S. (myself)

_________________
"Happy Birthday to Hot Leaf Water Ess!" - Belle


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Barrett Jones
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:08 am 
Mocha Jamocha
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 9:07 pm
Posts: 2500
Location: Your a creepy person.....Lord help them!
Gender: Female
I Like Him!

_________________
Why do nothing when you can Dance?


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Barrett Jones
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:45 am 
Fudge Marble
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 7:35 am
Posts: 938
Location: The Shire
Gender: Female
I find him funny! idk why, but he's just a funny character

_________________
Image


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Barrett Jones
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:46 am 
Mocha Jamocha
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 9:07 pm
Posts: 2500
Location: Your a creepy person.....Lord help them!
Gender: Female
SparkyHappyGiraffe wrote:
I find him funny! idk why, but he's just a funny character

Same here! I like when he sings!

_________________
Why do nothing when you can Dance?


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Barrett Jones
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:51 am 
Fudge Marble
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 7:35 am
Posts: 938
Location: The Shire
Gender: Female
Oh yeah me too!!!
"Twenty-two trombones led the marching band..." lol

_________________
Image


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Barrett Jones
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:57 pm 
Mocha Jamocha
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 9:07 pm
Posts: 2500
Location: Your a creepy person.....Lord help them!
Gender: Female
SparkyHappyGiraffe wrote:
Oh yeah me too!!!
"Twenty-two trombones led the marching band..." lol

Hes a good singer! LOL

_________________
Why do nothing when you can Dance?


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Barrett Jones
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:10 pm 
Mint Chocolate Chip
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 9:18 pm
Posts: 2032
Gender: Male
His actor had to have been right on the brink of adolescence. He was in two episodes, and then, BAM! His voice lowered.

_________________
Do you think you know music? Guess the hints at the end of each of my posts in A Musical Journey. (The name's a link. You can click it.)


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Barrett Jones
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:30 pm 
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 4:06 pm
Posts: 4983
Location: Spoilers!
Gender: Female
I would rather him focus on music and singing instead of being obsessed with video games.

_________________
Image
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Barrett Jones
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:35 pm 
Mocha Jamocha
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 9:07 pm
Posts: 2500
Location: Your a creepy person.....Lord help them!
Gender: Female
Godsgirl6153 wrote:
I would rather him focus on music and singing instead of being obsessed with video games.


That would be nice I think he learned his lesson with Club Kit Chat somewhat at least we can Hope!

_________________
Why do nothing when you can Dance?


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Barrett Jones
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:37 pm 
Fudge Marble
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 4:55 pm
Posts: 855
Location: ►On the Lost island running from Rapid Rabbits Rashly Rushing Rapidly at me‼◄
Gender: None specified
I believe the writers are looking to further devolope this character.

_________________
862 comments and counting...
ImageLeader of the Quadruple T and Double C Club.

Check out 1 of the S.S.'s most popular topics: Ruin a Wish

Emily's Okay...


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Barrett Jones
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:38 pm 
Butter Pecan
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:54 pm
Posts: 2912
Location: Unknown
Gender: Male
I'm taking an excerpt about Barret from my AIO blog article, as I believe it will state my opinions better:

Barret is better than Emily. He's musically gifted, he's easily frightened, he's a good friend, and, to top it all off, he's played by a talented actor and his voice isn't annoying! When Barret first came, he seemed like Olivia: an annoying, obsessed, pre-teen boy. But he's changed a little since then. He's become more caring, more complex, and more likeable and relateable. When Andy Pessoa's voice changed, I thought Barret had switched actors. It sounded totally different, and better. And though he was annoying in Opposite Day, he was hilarious, even if we were laughing at him. But, as I said in my review of 'Seeing Red', having us laugh at main characters doesn't exactly make them likeable. But still, I enjoyed Barret in Opposite Day. When Album 54 came around, I really started to enjoy Barret, particularly in 'The Amazing Loser' and 'Unbecoming Jay'. 'To Mend or Repair' showed him being a good friend. I enjoyed Barret particularly in that episode. He really shined. And so, while Barret may not be the best new kid, he still has a place in my list of good AIO kids.

(Sorry I used the word annoying twice, Pound Foolish. Like I said, it's just my signature criticism adjective!)

_________________
Sir Arnold, Knight of the Order of Augustine, Debate Vampire
Mr. Yorp wrote:
You don't need a degree to shovel manure.


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Barrett Jones
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:26 pm 
Coffee Biscotti
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:45 pm
Posts: 3340
Location: Kidsboro
Gender: Male
I suppose I'll forgive you, 101. I enjoyed the news on your blog today! Okay:
Barrett has a lot to him. He can be both intentionally funny, and be laughed at, like the great Alex. (Eh, 101? )
It's neat to have Odyssey's first artistic kid. And that he is so flawed delights me. Being an older brother myself, I enjoy the theme of an older brother in the shadow of a smarter sister. Sibling rivalry at its most entertaining. Not that Barrett feels competition against Emily's brains, but he is confused and sometimes bothered by her, yet HE is the fool. This is a fascinating little look at real life. We older males are so full of ourselves, and we are often thought of as leaders. Yet we are rarely more intelligent, good, or capable than our younger siblings, especially if they happen to include the x-chromosome type. Younger girls are left wondering just what is so great about Peter in Narnia compared to Lucy, or why Charlie Brown is so patient and likeable compared to charming but whiny Sally. These are both venerable franchises, but such stereotyping seems needless. Emily and Barrett's relationship works against this stereotype, and is a clever reversal of the common modern cartoon arrangement of a rotten younger sister and an older brother. Apart from that, I'm, amazingly enough, NOT very opinionated about Barrett! Yes, there are some things about Odyssey I am somewhat neutral on.To me, Barrett is just an okay character with a fair amount of potential. The only thing I am opinionated about when it comes to him is his relationship with Priscilla. I say it should develop more. What exactly are Barrett and Priscilla hoping for? Do they want to start dating sometime? Or is it just a per-adolescent crush? They sometimes spend time alone, could one say they are already dating? Is it wise to invest one's feelings at such tender ages? I'd love to see AIO's answers. However, AIO has never let younger love relationships develop far. Witness Mandy and Trent. And in the Christian market, such things are indeed playing with fire. One thing though: you have to be really strong to play the trombone. How come Barrett has such skinny arms? I doubt even Emily could solve that one.

_________________
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Barrett Jones
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:07 am 
Butter Pecan
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:54 pm
Posts: 2912
Location: Unknown
Gender: Male
Pound Foolish wrote:
I suppose I'll forgive you, 101. I enjoyed the news on your blog today! Okay:
Barrett has a lot to him. He can be both intentionally funny, and be laughed at, like the great Alex. (Eh, 101? )
It's neat to have Odyssey's first artistic kid. And that he is so flawed delights me. Being an older brother myself, I enjoy the theme of an older brother in the shadow of a smarter sister. Sibling rivalry at its most entertaining. Not that Barrett feels competition against Emily's brains, but he is confused and sometimes bothered by her, yet HE is the fool. This is a fascinating little look at real life. We older males are so full of ourselves, and we are often thought of as leaders. Yet we are rarely more intelligent, good, or capable than our younger siblings, especially if they happen to include the x-chromosome type. Younger girls are left wondering just what is so great about Peter in Narnia compared to Lucy, or why Charlie Brown is so patient and likeable compared to charming but whiny Sally. These are both venerable franchises, but such stereotyping seems needless. Emily and Barrett's relationship works against this stereotype, and is a clever reversal of the common modern cartoon arrangement of a rotten younger sister and an older brother. Apart from that, I'm, amazingly enough, NOT very opinionated about Barrett! Yes, there are some things about Odyssey I am somewhat neutral on.To me, Barrett is just an okay character with a fair amount of potential. The only thing I am opinionated about when it comes to him is his relationship with Priscilla. I say it should develop more. What exactly are Barrett and Priscilla hoping for? Do they want to start dating sometime? Or is it just a per-adolescent crush? They sometimes spend time alone, could one say they are already dating? Is it wise to invest one's feelings at such tender ages? I'd love to see AIO's answers. However, AIO has never let younger love relationships develop far. Witness Mandy and Trent. And in the Christian market, such things are indeed playing with fire. One thing though: you have to be really strong to play the trombone. How come Barrett has such skinny arms? I doubt even Emily could solve that one.


This is, quite possibly, your best post yet, Pound Foolish. (I consider all your posts to be works of art!) I have to say that Barret and Priscilla are not exactly dating, they simply have a bit of an awkward friendship. They spend time together and have crushes on each other, but they're not dating. Maybe one day they will, if they stick around long enough. And your thoughts about Emily and Barret's sibling rivalry were most enlightening. I never thought about it like that.

_________________
Sir Arnold, Knight of the Order of Augustine, Debate Vampire
Mr. Yorp wrote:
You don't need a degree to shovel manure.


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Barrett Jones
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:50 pm 
Coffee Biscotti
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:45 pm
Posts: 3340
Location: Kidsboro
Gender: Male
Thank you kindly, 101! I try to do the best for my (ahem) public. *bow* Works of art. Hmm, I like that. Only my due, of course. Seriously though, I appreciate the compliment.

_________________
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Barrett Jones
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:26 pm 
Cookie Dough
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 7:03 pm
Posts: 1958
Location: Forever Yours
Gender: Female
I think Barrett is a pretty good character, although he could be improved.

_________________
Image
꿈. 희망. 전진.


Top
Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Theme created StylerBB.net