It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:10 am


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Eugene Meltsner
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:57 pm 
Raspberry Ripple
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:23 pm
Posts: 692
Gender: Female
Ever since Eugene became a Christian, it seems that you could really understand what he's saying. In other words, he has become less wordy. I admit, it wasn't like as soon as he became a Christian he became less wordy. I mean that in a little while, you were actually able to understand what he was saying. I don't know exactly when you could understand him, but it was sometime after he became a Christian. If you figure out exactly when he became less wordy I'd appreciate it.

_________________
17:39<Novatom>: I'm in another boat. A boat of people who don't know what everyone's talking about. A boat that is sinking.
17:40<Sameriazx>: oh no... here we go again...


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eugene
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:14 pm 
Pineapple Whip
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 10:15 pm
Posts: 3581
Location: Michigan
Gender: Male
Good question, Novatom. (by the way, I love your username)

I am not sure when exactly he made the transition. Here are two episodes that mark a change in his attitude regarding his speech.

1. Do or Diet.
2. I can't remember the name if the other episode, but it had to do with Eugene and humility.

_________________
"Happy Birthday to Hot Leaf Water Ess!" - Belle


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eugene
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:33 pm 
Coffee Biscotti
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:45 pm
Posts: 3338
Location: Kidsboro
Gender: Male
Hmm... do you mean Tales of a Small Town Thug?

_________________
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eugene
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:16 am 
Peanut Butter Cup
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 10:02 am
Posts: 1667
Location: wouldn't you like to know?
Gender: Female
Come to think of it, you seem to be correct. I suppose becoming a Christian made him realize he needn't quite be so showy with his intelligent vocabulary. ;) I'm not real sure when the transaction was made, either. But there definitely was a change.

_________________
Image


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eugene
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:25 pm 
Pistachio
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 10:38 am
Posts: 1009
Location: Touring Canada and the USA
Gender: Male
I think it's just because a lot of the modern writers aren't as wordy as Eugene was back in the beginning. :P

_________________
"I strive to be an Elephant" - Odyssey Fan Wiley


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eugene
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:30 pm 
Pineapple Whip
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 10:15 pm
Posts: 3581
Location: Michigan
Gender: Male
I automatically dismissed that one when I went to look, Pound Foolish. I think that's the one.

Garrett, you might be on to something. ;)

_________________
"Happy Birthday to Hot Leaf Water Ess!" - Belle


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eugene
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:00 pm 
Butter Pecan
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:54 pm
Posts: 2912
Location: Unknown
Gender: Male
T.S. (myself) wrote:
Good question, Novatom. (by the way, I love your username)

I am not sure when exactly he made the transition. Here are two episodes that mark a change in his attitude regarding his speech.

1. Do or Diet.
2. I can't remember the name if the other episode, but it had to do with Eugene and humility.


Wait... I don't believe Eugene was in Do Or Diet, was he? I always thought his toned-down vocabulary started with his return...

_________________
Sir Arnold, Knight of the Order of Augustine, Debate Vampire
Mr. Yorp wrote:
You don't need a degree to shovel manure.


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eugene
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:57 pm 
Caramel Crunch
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:49 pm
Posts: 197
Gender: Female
Yes, he did become less wordy after becoming a Christian. But in the beginning of Odyssey, it was seriously hardly to understand him. By volume 9, he was a lot better.

-- Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:15 pm --

well one thing to consider also is that as time went by and the gang at whits end loved and accepted eugene...and not for his brains like his friends at the college or the computer club...if you haven't noticed, we never hear about those friends. When he discovered Bernard was his cousin, when he fit in with the 'room full of eugenes' but realized he didn't want friends who were too much like him, and he missed his 'country bumpkin' friends as Edwin would say....he became more and more like a human and less like a walking encyclopedia. He no longer cared about kissing his computer goodbye. Eugene sort of sounds like a robot when his character was first on the show. Meeting Katrina and making personal connections really changed him. Eugene was a foster child who was lacking a lot of family love and interaction with others, and his intellectual level made it hard to relate to others. Remember the ice fishing episode? Tom wanted to change him, but he began to like Eugene for who he was. Sorry for the novel, but just saying that I think his friends also rubbed off on him.

_________________
“It is one of the defects of my character that I cannot altogether dislike anyone who makes me laugh.”

Emily Rules!


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eugene
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:37 pm 
Coffee Biscotti
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:45 pm
Posts: 3338
Location: Kidsboro
Gender: Male
That's a fact: when Eugene first comes onstage, he acts and sounds greatly differently. Like all major franchise characters, his voice has undergone some metamorphosis.
This is a great take on things. Eugene was entirely isolated. "Well, frankly, Mr. Whittaker, my best friends have been my computers." At first, he constantly lorded his fluency in Dictionary language and science over Connie and insisted he had a better mind for logic. "I examine the evidence carefully and come to a conclusion, never an assumption." (Quote possibly not exact.) Then humanity changes him.
His friends were science and computers. Then his friends were Connie, Whit, and even Tom as you say. He went from regarding Whit as a boss and someone to gain knowledge and experience from to an inseparable friend.
Somewhere along the line, Whit's End became where Eugene belonged, and he changed completely.
And it wasn't just Katrina.
Still, we can say Katrina awoke Eugene more than anyone. Who would've thought "Mr. Brainiac" as Connie put it could become so devoted and tender?

_________________
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eugene
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:49 pm 
Caramel Crunch
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:49 pm
Posts: 197
Gender: Female
You have such a way of putting things! Exactly!
Also, his incident with applesauce and his relationship with Nicholas really taught him a lot as well. After that he seemed a lot more...feeling. For once, he didn't DO the logical thing.
As for him lording logic, we really saw Katrina's affect on him when he purposefully lost the trivia contest to her and realized that his intellectual prowess would not win her heart. She told him to be himself...maybe not those words but in essence...so Eugene was faced with discovering who he really was when he met Katrina. This further implemented what he was surrounded with everyday at Whit's End. Human connection based on the heart, not solely the mind.

_________________
“It is one of the defects of my character that I cannot altogether dislike anyone who makes me laugh.”

Emily Rules!


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eugene
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:12 pm 
Coffee Biscotti
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:45 pm
Posts: 3338
Location: Kidsboro
Gender: Male
I just wanted to say, it's you who has a way of putting things. I can't even add to that.

_________________
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eugene
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:08 pm 
Raspberry Ripple
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:23 pm
Posts: 692
Gender: Female
You're right, CT, Eugene wasn't in "Do or Diet". But I think he became less wordy in some episode before "Fast as I Can" where he fasted being wordy!

_________________
17:39<Novatom>: I'm in another boat. A boat of people who don't know what everyone's talking about. A boat that is sinking.
17:40<Sameriazx>: oh no... here we go again...


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Eugene STINKS.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:12 pm 
Peach Cobbler

Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:08 am
Posts: 1430
Gender: None specified
Hello everybody, I hate Eugene :twisted: . I hate intellectuals.
And God resists the proud.


You'll be angry when you read this :lol: , but go on and attack my ideas!


Last edited by John Henry on Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eugene Meltsner
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:49 pm 
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 4:06 pm
Posts: 4980
Location: Spoilers!
Gender: Female
First of all, you hate intellectuals? Really? Why do you hate knowledge and wisdom? O_o

Secondly, your only other "reason" for hating Eugene is "God resists the proud". But you give no explanation for this.

I'm going ahead and assume you mean that you feel Eugene is proud of himself at times, and I won't disagree with you on this, but everyone has flaws. Everyone. I would honestly be disappointed with Focus if they made their characters all perfect, but they don't.

What I also like is that Eugene is growing, and learning not to be proud of himself. Doesn't mean he never is, but he's working at it.

So, how is this is a problem? Can you honestly say you have never committed any crimes the Bible talks against?

Eugene is a true-to-life character, growing, but still flawed.

_________________
Image
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eugene Meltsner
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:16 am 
Mocha Jamocha
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:51 pm
Posts: 2651
Gender: Female
Yes, if you could expound on why you think actually knowing about what you're talking about is blasphemous or whatever, that would be great.

Seconded to Belle's post. Eugene was proud, but in case you haven't heard "Tales of a Small Town Thug", Eugene spends the entirety of that episode trying to humble himself. That is not the mark of a proud character. There's this thing called "character development"; you might have heard of it?

_________________
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eugene Meltsner
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:45 am 
Peach Cobbler

Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:08 am
Posts: 1430
Gender: None specified
Trying to do something? I think should pray to God for help. Also, don't you think that jargon is annoying?

-- Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:11 pm --

Belle wrote:
First of all, you hate intellectuals? Really? Why do you hate knowledge and wisdom? O_o

How about worldly Wisdom & Knowledge. "Knowledge puffs up, but love edifieth."
Quote:
Secondly, your only other "reason" for hating Eugene is "God resists the proud". But you give no explanation for this.

I'm going ahead and assume you mean that you feel Eugene is proud of himself at times, and I won't disagree with you on this, but everyone has flaws. Everyone. I would honestly be disappointed with Focus if they made their characters all perfect, but they don't.

What I also like is that Eugene is growing, and learning not to be proud of himself. Doesn't mean he never is, but he's working at it.

So, how is this is a problem? Can you honestly say you have never committed any crimes the Bible talks against?

Intellectuals are proud - because they think they're some genius.
Quote:
Eugene is a true-to-life character, growing, but still flawed.

Sure.


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eugene Meltsner
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:22 am 
Mocha Jamocha
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:51 pm
Posts: 2651
Gender: Female
John Henry wrote:
Trying to do something? I think should pray to God for help.


I concede this, but it still means that Eugene wants to humble himself. You're not getting the overall point of what I'm saying. And there's nothing wrong with practical solutions to your problems.

John Henry wrote:
Also, don't you think that jargon is annoying?


Um, I use jargon a lot. So do a lot of people. So I guess I'm annoying. This was not news to me, but thanks for confirming that.

Jargon isn't good or bad; just because you don't understand it doesn't make it annoying.

John Henry wrote:
Intellectuals are proud - because they think they're some genius.


Congratulations. In one single sentence you have managed to label an entire group of people because of your preconcieved notions about who they are with no idea as to their actual personalities. How do you know that all intellectuals are proud? Simply expressing the gift of intelligence isn't pride, it's using God's gifts. Would you have them keep silent and waste the talents God gave them? I don't know if you've heard of theologians before, but in case you are not aware, they are intellectuals. So I guess they're all proud jerks in spite of everything that they have done for Christian philosophy.

"Intellectual" isn't a single ideology; it's an adjective. You can't apply it to all people and have it instantly churn out a single description.

_________________
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love


Last edited by TigerShadow on Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eugene Meltsner
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:56 am 
Fudge Marble
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:30 am
Posts: 850
Location: In the Village
Gender: Female
First, I love Eugene. I like big words. I think Eugene using big words was great comic relief, and I learned some new vocabulary from him. I may even be an intellectual. *gasp*

Second, intellectuals can be proud, but so can everyone else, including anti-intellectuals. only Jesus was not proud;in fact, it would probably be proud(and lying) to assert you were never proud. Intellectuals can also be humble as well, with Gods help, ala Eugene. He learned and grew after he became a Christian. Learning from your mistakes is humility.

Anti-intellectualism can also be dangerous:
Quote:
Anti-intellectualism is a common facet of totalitarian dictatorships to oppress political dissent. The Nazi party's populist rhetoric featured anti-intellectualism as a common motif, including Adolf Hitler's Mein Kampf. Perhaps its most extreme political form was during the 1970s in Cambodia under the rule of Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge, when people were killed for being academics or even for merely wearing eyeglasses (as it suggested literacy) in the Killing Fields.[2]


http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-intellectualism

_________________
Avatar by Laura Hollingsworth (thesilvereye)

My book, Justice Lost, is on Amazon Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JM1XFCI


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eugene Meltsner
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:39 pm 
Peach Cobbler
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:50 pm
Posts: 1340
Location: Odyssey USA!
Gender: Female
My sibs accuse me alot of talking like Eugene -- is that a problem?

_________________
Image
"Musical training is a more potent instrument than any other, for rhythm and harmony find their way into the inner places of the soul... making the soul of one who is rightly educated, graceful" -- Socrates


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eugene Meltsner
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:01 pm 
Raspberry Ripple
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:44 pm
Posts: 520
Location: Riding a pig.
Gender: Male
Nooooooo!!!! Poor Eugene, not to mention me!

_________________
"You hit the nail on the proverbial head."
ImageImageImage
Join The CC at: http://campbellcounty.co


Top
Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Theme created StylerBB.net