Common words and phrases that drive you crazy.

If it doesn't pertain to Adventures in Odyssey, you've stepped into the right place! Grab a chair, and talk about your favorite books, TV shows, join a debate, or just be random!
HomeschoolCowgirl
Peach Cobbler

For Southern accents: OK.
All the time: :x
"Musical training is a more potent instrument than any other, for rhythm and harmony find their way into the inner places of the soul... making the soul of one who is rightly educated, graceful" -- Socrates
FlyingRider
Strawberry

Aftershocker wrote:I got annoyed when the most used word where I live was "beast." Everyone kept saying it over and over and it just...just...BUGGED!!! I'm cool, I'm cool. (sighs)

Yes the guys from my church keep saying that that guy is beast my mo-ped is beast blah blah blah!
The cold never bothered me anyway!!!!! ( just kidding i hate snow)
Bethany Shepard
Moose Tracks

You go into a southern accent, too? hahaha I usually say ain't on a regular basis.

I can't stand when people say "just" constantly. :P
"I am not a demon. I am a lizard, a shark, a heat-seeking panther.
I want to be Bob Denver on acid playing the accordion."
-Nicolas Cage
Connie G.
Peach Cobbler

Yeah, filler words (like, you know, umm, uh, just, I mean(sometimes),) can drive a person crazy!(I know, I know. I'm not excluded. Even the best of us often throw in one of those! :lol:) It also shows your lack of proper English and that you weren't prepared for what you were going to say. Especially when people on TV who do speeches a lot do it. I mean, they are being payed to do this, and are up in front of a bunch of people, and they don't even come prepared!
Strength for today, and bright hope for tomorrow.

"Why does Connie shower all of the time?" ~CGM_Games
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

On the subject of speeches, inserting filler words doesn't sound like they're unprepared. It makes them sound natural. After all, most of these people didn't write these speeches themselves anyway, and they're reading from paper on a podium, so filler words are a good way to not sound stilted and robotic.

Filler words do get annoying when they're used over and over again, though. Once or twice is one thing (I don't think we should expect each other to speak without using a single filler word; we weren't given scripts for our lives, after all); it's quite another when you say it every other word. I've especially noticed that in discussions in my AP English class, and particularly among the girls; it's hard to create an academic environment when you're surrounded by people who sound like valley girls.
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

I hate "dude" because it sounds Mean. Also, "cool" is annoying. Also "rocks" is not very friendly with me either.
Novatom
Raspberry Ripple

I hate 'dude', and it drives me crazy when people constantly say 'like,' but I guess I say that all the time too.
17:39<Novatom>: I'm in another boat. A boat of people who don't know what everyone's talking about. A boat that is sinking.
17:40<Sameriazx>: oh no... here we go again...
Blitz
Moose Tracks

I hate calling anyone boy or being called boy. Dude is kinda annoying.
Debate Vampire

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset
Novatom
Raspberry Ripple

What do you mean, 'boy?' Do you mean starting a sentence by saying boy or just saying someone is a boy?
17:39<Novatom>: I'm in another boat. A boat of people who don't know what everyone's talking about. A boat that is sinking.
Blitz
Moose Tracks

No as in some one referring to me as boy. Or anyone for that matter.
Debate Vampire

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

Blitz wrote:No as in some one referring to me as boy. Or anyone for that matter.
But, you are a boy...no?

What about girls being called girls? :P
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~
Novatom
Raspberry Ripple

Oh yeah, and I hate it when my mom refers to her friends as "girls."
Woody
Cookies & Creme

I hate it when people say "I could care less", because it means the exact opposite of what they mean! What they should say is "I couldn't care less", because "I could care less" means you do care, at least a little.

"You'll never be far, I'm keeping you near, inside of my heart, you're here." ~Owl City, Gold
Bethany Shepard
Moose Tracks

I discovered I have Misophonia:
The hatred of repetitive or weird sounds. The main one is the sound of people eating. Not even just smacking, but the sound of their teeth snapping and everything. Hahahaha *eye twitches*
"I am not a demon. I am a lizard, a shark, a heat-seeking panther.
I want to be Bob Denver on acid playing the accordion."
-Nicolas Cage
Mickey
Peach Cobbler

HomeschoolCowgirl wrote:Howabout "ain't"?
Drives me NUTS.
My sister uses it often -- ON PURPOSE.
I use the word [or not word] ain't in my normal speech!
Proud K.R.E Member
Novatom
Raspberry Ripple

Improper grammar drives me crazy.
Mickey
Peach Cobbler

Ahhhhh! Novatom where is your sense of 'coloring outside the line'? No really it's fine!
Proud K.R.E Member
Wakko
Pistachio

Micky wrote:Ahhhhh! Novatom where is your sense of 'coloring outside the line'? No really it's fine!
It's quite annoying, in my opinion.
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

It's also quite unprofessional. =P
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

I remember a few years ago when "epic" was the word everyone used to describe everything (at least where I lived at the time, which happened to be South Korea). It always bugged me, but fortunately people have sort of stopped using it now. I agree with most of what everyone said on this topic, however. This is slightly off topic, but does anyone else hate the sound of potato chip bags being opened? I used to (well, I still do, I guess) absolutely hate that sound, and always covered my ears every time it looked like someone was about to open one within 10 feet of me. My brother used to open them right in front of me on purpose. :evil:
Sir Arnold, Knight of the Order of Augustine, Debate Vampire
Mr. Yorp wrote:You don't need a degree to shovel manure.